Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Garda Traffic on Twitter 2

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,730 ✭✭✭✭Fred Swanson

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,660 ✭✭✭Mr Snow

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,565 ✭✭✭K.Flyer

The Red Almera is outside a German Auto dealership on the Long Mile.
    Nearly every car dealer in the area has vehicles parked outside on the path or grass verge. Going to be interesting watching this if its enforced more.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,071 ✭✭✭✭neris

Mr Snow wrote: »

Serves em right parking in howth harbours a farce and free for all not helped by the muppets in the campers taking up 2 spaces

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,922 ✭✭✭GM228

K.Flyer wrote: »
    Going to be interesting watching this if its enforced more.

Gardaí have been enforcing such since "Operation Sign-Off" began in 2015 and many such cars have been seized.

Here's another one from a few months ago.

https://twitter.com/GardaTraffic/status/831570048015880198

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,060 ✭✭✭Sexual Chocolate

I do honestly wonder if conyngham rd is only a hot spot for them to do parked cars so that they have room to park themselves while in court.

If they want to fine cars for bad parking they should focus on the north rd in the phoenix park near the zoo/HQ. Easily 50 cars parked opposite the continuous white line today forcing traffic onto the other side of the road.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,922 ✭✭✭GM228

I do honestly wonder if conyngham rd is only a hot spot for them to do parked cars so that they have room to park themselves while in court.

If they want to fine cars for bad parking they should focus on the north rd in the phoenix park near the zoo/HQ. Easily 50 cars parked opposite the continuous white line today forcing traffic onto the other side of the road.

The Gardaí can't legally enforce parking in the Phoenix Park (with the exception of dangerous parking).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,565 ✭✭✭K.Flyer

GM228 wrote: »
    Gardaí have been enforcing such since "Operation Sign-Off" began in 2015 and many such cars have been seized.

I hadn't heard of it before.
    There is a huge amount of car dealers in Dublin 12 and quite a lot park outside of their lot with cars on pathways and verges. I must keep an eye out and see if there are many changes.
    Across from where the red Almera was parked, the Hyundai dealer often had vehicles on the path, wonder if they still do..

• Registered Users Posts: 6,255 ✭✭✭joeysoap

Cars parked by the public on roads I understand, in the case of dealerships would a word to the owner/manager not be a better policy?

I assume cars parked in your own private drive are exempt?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,278 ✭✭✭✭flazio

GM228 wrote: »
    The Gardaí can't legally enforce parking in the Phoenix Park (with the exception of dangerous parking).

How come?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,858 ✭✭✭✭joujoujou
    Unregistered Users

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,196 ✭✭✭boardsuser1

joujoujou wrote: »

I don't know what's more disgraceful, the stupid parking or that they own a convertible Micra, they should be arrested for both :rolleyes:

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,280 ✭✭✭Riva10

OSI wrote: »
    Funny. They were offered BMWs for cheaper than the Hyundais, but turned them down to appease folk like yourself ;)
    They probably choose reliability over badge. Wise choice. ;)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,341 ✭✭✭D Trent

Funny. They were offered BMWs for cheaper than the Hyundais, but turned them down to appease folk like yourself ;)

Yes but they would have had to fork out extra for indicators that worked, it's an optional extra with BMW
    That was the catch

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 73,499 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

Funny. They were offered BMWs for cheaper than the Hyundais

This has come up a few times. Hyundai will have done the i30/40s for buttons to boost numbers, is there anything to back up this story?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,899 ✭✭✭Paddy@CIRL

CeilingFly wrote: »
    What's wrong with Hyundai?

They are all adapted, they are extremely reliable, they are efficient and are powerful enough for the job they have been assigned to.

Gardai do also have other vehicles including Q7s.

Its pure brand snobbery. But some fools will pay over the odds for a badge on a car.

They've been far from reliable. An AA friend told me he's called out to jump start more Garda Hyundais every week than he would like to recall. Apparently, the factory electrical system was never upgraded to take the extra ancillaries of the Garda cars (lights, ANPR etc.) so they keep murdering batteries and alternators.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,023 ✭✭✭selectamatic

Paddy@CIRL wrote: »
    They've been far from reliable. An AA friend told me he's called out to jump start more Garda Hyundais every week than he would like to recall. Apparently, the factory electrical system was never upgraded to take the extra ancillaries of the Garda cars (lights, ANPR etc.) so they keep murdering batteries and alternators.

And the first of the i40's eat through clutch and flywheels at a good rate too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,378 ✭✭✭CeilingFly

I have a bmw, the next car certainly won't be one.

Considering the numerous issues with the F10 F11 5 series including sudden loss of power, suspension issues, horrendous service costs and overpriced parts that was a wise choice.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,917 ✭✭✭✭Toyotafanboi

Paddy@CIRL wrote: »

Maybe the Garda are leaving stuff on for too long with the key in the ignition, nothing will save you from that and it seems like something that could easily happen if parked up for an hour or two using the radios or lights flashing at a checkpoint etc.

The i40s weren't modified at the factory but they electrical systems have a decent bit of retrofit kit to facilitate all the Garda gear.

The i40s as mentioned are hard on clutches but Hyundai were and still are, repeatedly replacing them for free so aside from some time off the road, it's not the end of the world. Other that that the i40s are actually somewhat reliable.

Maybe they were offered a cheap deal on BMW's but I wonder would the maintenance have counteracts any savings made at the buying stage. Like 18" run flats on a 5 series vs 15's on an i40. Or a genuine headlamp for a 5 series is around €1250 but for an i40 is around €500.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 73,499 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

The i40s are hardly on 15s are they?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,544 ✭✭✭blackbox

joujoujou wrote: »

In Fairness, the driver must have had a visual impairment disability to drive that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,935 ✭✭✭TallGlass

colm_mcm wrote: »

I'd say so. I know Ford Focus saloons are on 15s.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,856 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

a genuine headlamp for ... an i40 is around €500.

Even that's outrageous.

In Cavan there was a great fire / Judge McCarthy was sent to inquire / It would be a shame / If the nuns were to blame / So it had to be caused by a wire.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,917 ✭✭✭✭Toyotafanboi

colm_mcm wrote: »

The hub caps ones are, which plenty of the Garda cars have.

neris wrote: »
    muppets in the campers taking up 2 spaces

Are you suggesting the camper owner should fold in the wheelbase or something when parked?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

Patww79 wrote: »
    Never knew that wasn't allowed.

Even if the for sale part wasnt, it's still parked on the path.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,644 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

The hub caps ones are, which plenty of the Garda cars have.

Correct as they found issues with the i30 alloys so anything after 2014 started coming bog standard.

I actually thought they had turned a corner and were going to use higher spec models but no they now do same as always and you can spot an unmarked i40 a couple of miles away......

Correct as they found issues with the i30 alloys so anything after 2014 started coming bog standard.

I actually thought they had turned a corner and were going to use higher spec models but no they now do same as always and you can spot an unmarked i40 a couple of miles away......

The unmarked cop cars are piss easy to spot once you know what you are looking for.

Mind you,in saying that, a number of years ago there was an unmarked jeep here with a 'C' registration.

Only had a tax disc on display,front and back blue lights as well.

A Ford Maverick, that will tell you how far back it was

• Advertisement

The unmarked cop cars are piss easy to spot once you know what you are looking for.

Mind you,in saying that, a number of years ago there was an unmarked jeep here with a 'C' registration.

Only had a tax disc on display,front and back blue lights as well.

A Ford Maverick, that will tell you how far back it was

I've put in a complaint about how poor and dangerous the lighting on most of their unmarked vehicles are especially from the rear light cluster.

The blue strobe is fitted to rear indicator housing but can't be seen in daylight and near impossible at night also.

I got a reply stating they need to be covert so no extra lighting can be fitted.....

I laughed so much

I've put in a complaint about how poor and dangerous the lighting on most of their unmarked vehicles are especially from the rear light cluster.

The blue strobe is fitted to rear indicator housing but can't be seen in daylight and near impossible at night also.

I got a reply stating they need to be covert so no extra lighting can be fitted.....

I laughed so much

If they needed to be covert why in the name of god can almost every Tom Dick and Harry spot the bloody things from miles away.

That was some stupid PR rubbish they sent you!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,060 ✭✭✭Sexual Chocolate

I laughed so much

Those in the traffic corp kicked up about the rear lighting I heard so red and blue strobes were fitted as well onto the i40s and insignias

Those in the traffic corp kicked up about the rear lighting I heard so red and blue strobes were fitted as well onto the i40s and insignias

That is correct and to be honest they are okay but in all honesty they are still quite poor.

Look at the likes of UK and u.s.a set ups they near blind you day or night so no danger of not been seen when need to be.

If they needed to be covert why in the name of god can almost every Tom Dick and Harry spot the bloody things from miles away.

That was some stupid PR rubbish they sent you!

Very true.

I was told they will take on board my comments and consider a change for future purchase's.

Very true.

I was told they will take on board my comments and consider a change for future purchase's.

I know some state agencies do listen to the public.

Can you see them switching from Hyundai?

The red lights are at the rear only, well in anything i've seen so far.

The red lights are at the rear only, well in anything i've seen so far.

The cars were fitted afterwards with block type led clear lenses at rear with red/blue combo on each side.

They wouldn't fit red to the front because then people would think its going away not towards hence why many now are fitted with white/blue to the front.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,858 ✭✭✭✭joujoujou
    Unregistered Users

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,071 ✭✭✭✭neris

samih wrote: »
    Are you suggesting the camper owner should fold in the wheelbase or something when parked?

No I'm suggesting they should **** off to a proper campsite

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,843 ✭✭✭✭bear1

• Registered Users Posts: 6,255 ✭✭✭joeysoap

Is the white cap customs?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,843 ✭✭✭✭bear1

Does the 4x4 say civil defence?

joeysoap wrote: »
    Is the white cap customs?

Would be yes.

• Advertisement

bear1 wrote: »
    Does the 4x4 say civil defence?

If you mean the ford.... No its traffic corps.
    Looks well with all the gear.

The Audi Q7 is armed unit.
    Nice place to be sitting out a shift.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,210 ✭✭✭mikeecho

I know some state agencies do listen to the public.

Can you see them switching from Hyundai?

Well, they have a plenty of Hyundais to roll out, but the new contract is gone to ford.

And the vast majority of those new cars will be petrol.

mikeecho wrote: »
    Well, they have a plenty of Hyundais to roll out, but the new contract is gone to ford.

And the vast majority of those new cars will be petrol.

Another new contract? :confused:

When does that kick in?

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement