Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Garda Traffic on Twitter 2

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 52,404 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

Is there a lack of checkpoints in certain areas of the country lads?
    Around here (Dundalk and N. Louth) it's not uncommon to be stopped several times a week and even a day.
    It keeps you right as you won't take chances.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,037 ✭✭✭IrishGrimReaper

They're regular on Monaghan/Clones roads. From this thread alone Naas seems to be on the Garda twitter all the time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,660 ✭✭✭Mr Snow

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,722 ✭✭✭nice_guy80

5 years of daily driving in midlands 100km some days
    Not one checkpoint

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,065 ✭✭✭✭Odyssey 2005

Any truth in this or is it just Facebook shíťé

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,592 ✭✭✭tossy

Any truth in this or is it just Facebook shíťé

You couldn't rule anything out, seen an unmarked ford kuga pull someone the other night.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

Can they use UK reg cars?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,017 ✭✭✭Four Phucs Ache

tossy wrote: »
    You couldn't rule anything out, seen an unmarked ford kuga pull someone the other night.

True, I've seen an unmarked navy kuga around Kildare.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,280 ✭✭✭✭Eric Cartman

Patww79 wrote: »
    Can they use UK reg cars?

if its awaiting registration and insured here then yeah. Could also make the case for fake plates if they needed to get somebody really undercover for operational reasons.

• Advertisement

One in Kilkenny too. But an unmarked UK car !!. They could be mistaken for (you know whats) . Surely you'd be within your rights not to stop, blue lights or not.

if its awaiting registration and insured here then yeah. Could also make the case for fake plates if they needed to get somebody really undercover for operational reasons.

Yep,opp reasons are fine. Sure they have all sorts of yokes,porches and all. But a UK yoke doing traffic ??

Yeah, there's not a hope in hell I'm stopping anywhere for some UK reg unless there's a lot of people about.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,280 ✭✭✭✭Eric Cartman

Yep,opp reasons are fine. Sure they have all sorts of yokes,porches and all. But a UK yoke doing traffic ??

I suspect whoever sent that in was exaggerating, if they're on the N7 at that time theres no way they were there to see multiple cars get pulled, they could have just been undercover and pulled the one car they wanted.
    Patww79 wrote: »
    Yeah, there's not a hope in hell I'm stopping anywhere for some UK reg unless there's a lot of people about.

Im pretty sure you're allowed drive to a Garda station if you think somethings off.

I suspect whoever sent that in was exaggerating, if they're on the N7 at that time theres no way they were there to see multiple cars get pulled, they could have just been undercover and pulled the one car they wanted.

Im pretty sure you're allowed drive to a Garda station if you think somethings off.

Probably right.

True, I've done it before.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,644 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

One in Kilkenny too. But an unmarked UK car !!. They could be mistaken for (you know whats) . Surely you'd be within your rights not to stop, blue lights or not.

If you are unsure or believe there is an issue you can call 999 and state details.

It has happened on a few occasions where fakes have stopped people and with how shoddy the lights are on their unmarked units especially i30 and i40 it wouldn't be difficult at all to impersonate.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,079 ✭✭✭✭Duke O Smiley

I may be wrong, but this could just be an ex-UK traffic car bought at auction. I know they're usually stripped of lights/sirens etc but I've read about some slipping through the net..and I suppose the wiring would probably be all there if someone wanted to just put lights back in

43582812_1725681220876256_672360878032551936_n.jpg?_nc_cat=100&oh=fec43d45ea2e0149123031128874009e&oe=5C62A920

Has anyone tried tweeting it to Garda traffic? Do they respond to things like that?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,662 ✭✭✭BaronVon

They have had marked vehicles on test here before on foreign reg plates. I remember there were Belgian registered Honda Pan European motorbikes, and they had English registered BMW R1200's around the same time on test.

I may be wrong, but this could just be an ex-UK traffic car bought at auction. I know they're usually stripped of lights/sirens etc but I've read about some slipping through the net..and I suppose the wiring would probably be all there if someone wanted to just put lights back in

43582812_1725681220876256_672360878032551936_n.jpg?_nc_cat=100&oh=fec43d45ea2e0149123031128874009e&oe=5C62A920

Has anyone tried tweeting it to Garda traffic? Do they respond to things like that?

I'm afraid I'd drive over it before I stop for it, and I'm an aul fella...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,685 ✭✭✭✭wonski

I'm afraid I'd drive over it before I stop for it, and I'm an aul fella...

No chance I would even consider pulling over for a foreign registered vehicle.

Now if one was to impersonate gardai I am sure they would just change the plates but idiots are not well known for their intelligence.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,128 ✭✭✭Emmersonn

If you are unsure or believe there is an issue you can call 999 and state details.

It has happened on a few occasions where fakes have stopped people and with how shoddy the lights are on their unmarked units especially i30 and i40 it wouldn't be difficult at all to impersonate.
    And as well as a charge of "Failing to stop" you will have another for "use of a mobile phone while driving" :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,195 ✭✭✭GrumpyMe

Emmersonn wrote: »
    And as well as a charge of "Failing to stop" you will have another for "use of a mobile phone while driving" :D
    999 is exempted!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,219 ✭✭✭pablo128

You won't be done for failing to stop for an unmarked vehicle. And you are allowed to use your phone while driving if you are ringing the gardai.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,644 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

Eh wrong.....

You can call 999 and use while driving only exception there is.

Eh wrong.....

You can call 999 and use while driving only exception there is.
    Bit late with the correction but thank you for that snippet :P

GrumpyMe wrote: »
    999 is exempted!
    Did you not see the smiley face. :P

You are wrong.

There's another white UK reg 3 series (18 reg and m-sport) floating around that you see in photos of CAB raids/drug raids. Reg begins with MT18.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,812 ✭✭✭✭joujoujou
    Unregistered Users

• Registered Users Posts: 1,373 ✭✭✭selous

Tuesday morning on Hillcrest Road, a HGV with a flat-pack house on the trailer wedged a car against the kerb, stuck between 1-2hours before Gardaí came, (one local said 1 hour another said 2) its a main back route to Sandyford Ind estate and a 3 tonne limit road signposted every which way.

IMG-20181009-084138.jpg

• Advertisement

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,564 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

selous wrote: »
    Tuesday morning on Hillcrest Road, a HGV with a flat-pack house on the trailer wedged a car against the kerb, stuck between 1-2hours before Gardaame, (one local said 1 hour another said 2) its a main back route to Sandyford Ind estate and a 3 tonne limit road signposted every which way.

IMG-20181009-084138.jpg

Professional driver don't you know.

Scrap the cap!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,935 ✭✭✭TallGlass

Where they in reverse breaking the speed limit or something? -110 and -90

TallGlass wrote: »
    And do'nt forget the eye popping 87 :eek:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,257 ✭✭✭✭flazio

TallGlass wrote: »
    The speed guns produce a minus number when they clock a car driving away from the gun (e.g. when the squad car is pulled over on the on ramp of a motorway) , coming towards the gun produces a positive number.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,500 ✭✭✭✭fullstop

And do'nt forget the eye popping 87 :eek:

Yeah, 1.5 times the limit or thereabouts, sure what harm :rolleyes:

fullstop wrote: »
    Yeah, 1.5 times the limit or thereabouts, sure what harm :rolleyes:
    Depends on the limit. :P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,415 ✭✭✭ofcork

MrMac84 wrote: »
    Where is it?

Coming down passed st finbarrs cathedral onto sharman Crawford st,

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 291 ✭✭JoeyDoh

Mod edit. Not the thread for this

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 336 ✭✭firstlight

Tuesday morning on Hillcrest Road, a HGV with a flat-pack house on the trailer wedged a car against the kerb, stuck between 1-2hours before Gardaí came, (one local said 1 hour another said 2) its a main back route to Sandyford Ind estate and a 3 tonne limit road signposted every which way.

IMG-20181009-084138.jpg

Never late in a V8 🀗

• Advertisement

• Registered Users Posts: 1,373 ✭✭✭selous

firstlight wrote: »
    Never late in a V8 ��

But he was!
    There was a crane in the estate getting built doing nothing while waiting for him, and while he was blocking that road, his buddys in two other similar artic's had to find a different route, I heard a few days after, so all were late, :cool:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 336 ✭✭firstlight

But he was!
    There was a crane in the estate getting built doing nothing while waiting for him, and while he was blocking that road, his buddys in two other similar artic's had to find a different route, I heard a few days after, so all were late, :cool:

Ah I was only joking,That's life driving trucks.Got there in the end.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement