Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Garda Traffic on Twitter 2

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,373 ✭✭✭selous

firstlight wrote: »
    Ah I was only joking,That's life driving trucks.Got there in the end.

you're grand, I wasn't paying his wages.:D

I nearly got squished by a (Yellow) cement mixer coming down same road yesterday, he was coming down the middle of the road, he never budged over, I think it was a 5 axel one, frightened the....out of me. :eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 336 ✭✭firstlight

selous wrote: »
    you're grand, I wasn't paying his wages.:D

I nearly got squished by a (Yellow) cement mixer coming down same road yesterday, he was coming down the middle of the road, he never budged over, I think it was a 5 axel one, frightened the....out of me. :eek:

I'd say he was taking both lanes so as not to get stuck like the other truck,like most truck s do at roundabouts,its not bullying as such but taking control of the road,Stop a problem happening before it does
    Just give them plenty of space and you won't have to change the jocks like yesterday ha

• Registered Users Posts: 1,373 ✭✭✭selous

firstlight wrote: »
    I'd say he was taking both lanes so as not to get stuck like the other truck,like most truck s do at roundabouts,its not bullying as such but taking control of the road,Stop a problem happening before it does
    Just give them plenty of space and you won't have to change the jocks like yesterday ha

It's still a 3tonne limit road though, and the building isn't on that road.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,858 ✭✭✭✭joujoujou
    Unregistered Users

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,053 ✭✭✭blackwhite

joujoujou wrote: »

Passed this yesterday morning.

I’d have serious worried about the observation skills of the driver. Should have seen the van from a long way off given where it was.
    That’s more worrying than the speed tbh

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

blackwhite wrote: »
    Passed this yesterday morning.

I’d have serious worried about the observation skills of the driver. Should have seen the van from a long way off given where it was.
    That’s more worrying than the speed tbh

If they'd have been doing 120 then it wouldn't have mattered if they'd seen it or not.

Patww79 wrote: »
    If they'd have been doing 120 then it wouldn't have mattered if they'd seen it or not.

You’ve missed the point:

Doing 160, 120 or 80, with observation skills that bad they’re a danger on the road regardless of speed.

You’ve missed the point:

Doing 160, 120 or 80, with observation skills that bad they’re a danger on the road regardless of speed.

Just do the limit and don't be looking out across into the hedge. Handy enough really.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,856 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

Yep just stick to the limit and stare at the end of your bonnet, be grand.

In Cavan there was a great fire / Judge McCarthy was sent to inquire / It would be a shame / If the nuns were to blame / So it had to be caused by a wire.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,479 ✭✭✭Kamili

It's still a 3tonne limit road though, and the building isn't on that road.

and not to mention the high kerbs and narrow road itself. Its tough enough for two cars to pass and there is no option to mount the path to get away from anything.

[PHP][/PHP]
    Just do the limit and don't be looking out across into the hedge. Handy enough really.

If you’re driving a motorway and not aware enough of your surroundings to spot a parked vehicles that might pull out into the main carriageway then you’re a danger on the road - regardless of speed.

Are people really so stupid that they think speeding is the only dangerous behavior on the roads?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,659 ✭✭✭Doctor Jimbob

[PHP][/PHP]

If you’re driving a motorway and not aware enough of your surroundings to spot a parked vehicles that might pull out into the main carriageway then you’re a danger on the road - regardless of speed.

Are people really so stupid that they think speeding is the only dangerous behavior on the roads?

Yes.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,366 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

Tuesday morning on Hillcrest Road, a HGV with a flat-pack house on the trailer wedged a car against the kerb, stuck between 1-2hours before Gardaí came, (one local said 1 hour another said 2) its a main back route to Sandyford Ind estate and a 3 tonne limit road signposted every which way.

IMG-20181009-084138.jpg

Haven't been in here in a week or so, started reading this thread from a couple of pages ahead and knew people were talking about this road. Most who drive along there are incapable of getting a car on each side (there is plenty of room if you have spatial awareness)...what made him think he could get a truck down! :eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,644 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

Haven't been in here in a week or so, started reading this thread from a couple of pages ahead and knew people were talking about this road. Most who drive along there are incapable of getting a car on each side (there is plenty of room if you have spatial awareness)...what made him think he could get a truck down! :eek:

I've had to bring a double decker down there a few times on diversion.

You just have to wait a really hope one of the other drivers is nice enough to give space instead of the usual oh I'll speed up towards this big oversized vehicle and hold us all up.

People will do anything and I mean anything when it comes to larger vehicles.

Give some space if you have to hang back for a few seconds so be it.

I understand he was on a 3ton restrcted road but in the real world they sometimes have to access such places(maybe not this occasion)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,338 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Busy day for them here but fair play all the same, keep taking money off dopes with their heads stuck in their phones:
    https://twitter.com/GardaTraffic/status/1053166236773826561

And another waster taken off the road here:
    https://twitter.com/GardaTraffic/status/1053171483764314113

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,862 ✭✭✭✭inforfun

19 bus lane drivers, 15 of them also on the phone....?

**** me.....

Or do i pick it up wrong and did they stop 34 people in total?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,564 ✭✭✭kiers47

Not defending the people on their phones but that particular road has 2 sections where you need to come into left lane to go straight(through a set of lights) here
    then further on where you need to get in if you are going left at the roundabout. here

If you dont go into the bus lane people basically wont allow you into the lane during rush hour. Mainly as people think you are trying to skip the queue. Its madness. So the road setup is a disaster there.

The people on their phones however :/

If they put a check point for bus lane driving here every day after 4 pm, they can clear the national debt in 4 weeks.

Point is, it really makes sense there to do it as bus lane goes direction N3 and right lane around the roundabout towards Blanchardtown.

If everybody would obey the law and stay in the single lane, it would pile up till Dundalk.

As for phones and having good vision from a bus who is using their phone where they shouldn't...

The Netherlands 2018:
    Police sends out a bus with OAP's on the road to catch people using their phone. 750 fines in 3 days. € 230 each
    Oh, renting a bus like that is €300 a day.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,660 ✭✭✭Mr Snow

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,833 ✭✭✭Comhrá

A €230 fine is pretty punitive and appropriate. UK fines are similar:

https://www.gov.uk/using-mobile-phones-when-driving-the-law
    Penalties

You can get 6 penalty points and a £200 fine if you use a hand-held phone when driving. You’ll also lose your licence if you passed your driving test in the last 2 years.

You can get 3 penalty points if you don’t have a full view of the road and traffic ahead or proper control of the vehicle.

You can also be taken to court where you can:

be banned from driving or riding
    get a maximum fine of £1,000 (£2,500 if you’re driving a lorry or bus)

ROI fine for holding a phone while driving: €60 + 3p/points.
    There is also a separate law covering texting while driving but it would appear to be unenforceable due to poor legislation.

Typical 'Irish' approach to the most widespread driving offence in the country.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 8,075 Mod ✭✭✭✭liamog

inforfun wrote: »
    If they put a check point for bus lane driving here every day after 4 pm, they can clear the national debt in 4 weeks.

One at Corduff would be the same.

Yep, if the one i showed here is too busy already, i avoid yours and get on the N3 all the way in Clonee.

But keep building industrial estates and dont improve the roads to get there. It is going fantastic.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,248 ✭✭✭✭Hurrache

inforfun wrote: »

Point is, it really makes sense there to do it as bus lane goes direction N3 and right lane around the roundabout towards Blanchardtown.

Fine to do it up towards the National Sports Campus, but to do it at the N3 I think it would be madness. The main issue with that junction is traffic trying to clear the bridge and over towards Blanchardstown. When the bridge is full, it backs right up past Corduff and that campus.

It makes perfect sense to let traffic joining the N3 to skip the queue and go straight onto the N3. It's a great release valve for that area.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,248 ✭✭✭✭Hurrache

liamog wrote: »
    One at Corduff would be the same.

Similar point, 2 buses use that road, the 220 and 238.

There's a 220 at around 4:30pm, the next near 6.
    There's a 238 around 4:20 and 5:20.

Now I can understand if it was a high volume bus corridor, but 3 buses over a period of the busiest time over there?

Add to the fact they made a balls of the junction just after that point, it would have a massive knock on affect to stop target traffic queuing coming up there.

A bit more imagination is required rather than a blanket enforcement on the bus lanes as a solution to traffic in the evenings.

• Advertisement

[PHP][/PHP]

A lot more people think speeding isn't an unsafe behaviour on the roads.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 907 ✭✭✭Under His Eye

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,829 ✭✭✭tcawley29

Incorrect. The lack of use of mirrors or indicators is shocking because people are too self absorbed in their own little only I matter bubble.

tcawley29 wrote: »
    Incorrect.

:D You have driven here and read these forums right? Speeding is a badge of honor here.

Seen that on Twitter earlier. Are they that light? They should be built that they'd absolutely wreck a car.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 73,499 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

Driver saved the guts of €5k to be fair.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,278 ✭✭✭✭flazio

Level crossing cameras need to be at an angle to capture reg plates otherwise they're useless.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,669 ✭✭✭Damien360

flazio wrote: »
    Level crossing cameras need to be at an angle to capture reg plates otherwise they're useless.

The footage was terrible. No matter what the angle, it wouldn't catch a number plate. If you did manage to get the reg, then you have to prove who was driving.

Where exactly did I say that anywhere in my post? Or are you just looking to soapbox for a while?

Where exactly did I say that anywhere in my post? Or are you just looking to soapbox for a while?

Don't feed it.

In Cavan there was a great fire / Judge McCarthy was sent to inquire / It would be a shame / If the nuns were to blame / So it had to be caused by a wire.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,254 ✭✭✭Kevin Finnerty

You leave Boycie alone!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,316 ✭✭✭DaveyDave

Someone posted earlier that using a phone in the UK within 2 years of getting your license results in a ban. Why don't we have this? We have a lower penalty point and alcohol limit for novice drivers but nothing about phones. Also can't accompany a learner despite passing your test.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭SixSixSix

DaveyDave wrote: »
    Someone posted earlier that using a phone in the UK within 2 years of getting your license results in a ban. Why don't we have this? We have a lower penalty point and alcohol limit for novice drivers but nothing about phones. Also can't accompany a learner despite passing your test.

Well when the national broadcaster positively endorses the practice - what hope do we have?
    @2:54 on https://www.rte.ie/news/player/2018/0130/21311351-public-transport-race/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,592 ✭✭✭tossy

SixSixSix wrote: »
    Well when the national broadcaster positively endorses the practice - what hope do we have?
    @2:54 on https://www.rte.ie/news/player/2018/0130/21311351-public-transport-race/

Ah would you stop! FFS

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 83,858 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

Not Garda but worthy of a mention.

He will probably sue Irish Rail for €500k for injuries and damage to his car due to the signs approaching it not being the right shade of yellow :mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,219 ✭✭✭pablo128

DaveyDave wrote: »

Can we have their VRT and motor tax rates too?

I see they put the 94km/h Stillorgan Road in twice. Old habits die hard.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,829 ✭✭✭tcawley29

:D You have driven here and read these forums right? Speeding is a badge of honor here.

Yes and yes but these forums do not contain the view of every driver on Irish roads.

• Advertisement

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement