Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Garda Traffic on Twitter 2

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,660 ✭✭✭Mr Snow

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,812 ✭✭✭✭joujoujou
    Unregistered Users

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,564 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

Mr Snow wrote: »

Speaking as a steam era analogue gauge biker, that is a seriously cool bike dash.

Scrap the cap!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,257 ✭✭✭✭flazio

The beemer is going to get off as they forgot to blank out the registration number.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,812 ✭✭✭✭joujoujou
    Unregistered Users

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 83,517 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

They need to pass a law where anything uninsured is auctioned off on a Friday evening where the registered owner gets zero. If it needs a fookwit vote give us one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,592 ✭✭✭tossy

I'd say they needed a change of pants after that lol

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,492 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

flazio wrote: »
    The beemer is going to get off as they forgot to blank out the registration number.
    Looks unreadable to me, but regardless, how would a photo result in a driver getting off an offence? Has this ever happened before?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,793 ✭✭✭coolisin

Looks unreadable to me, but regardless, how would a photo result in a driver getting off an offence? Has this ever happened before?

That would be be shocking if that driver gets off on such a technicality. But it is Ireland so wouldn't be surprised.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 907 ✭✭✭Under His Eye

Why do they black out regs/faces in the first case? There is your answer.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,492 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

Why do they black out regs/faces in the first case? There is your answer.
    Dunno about faces, but when it comes to registrations, it is because they don't really understand data protection law or social media, based on the answers that they've given when people challenged them on these issues.

Cars don't have data protection rights.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,644 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

Anything in public is free game.

Suppose they are being nice blocking info as people will recognize the vehicle and innocent till proven guilty and all that.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,128 ✭✭✭Emmersonn

Anything in public is free game.

Suppose they are being nice blocking info as people will recognize the vehicle and innocent till proven guilty and all that.
    Ifa Gárda issues a person with a FCPN for speeding, then you are guilty unless you can prove your innocence in court :eek:

Emmersonn wrote: »
    Ifa Gárda issues a person with a FCPN for speeding, then you are guilty unless you can prove your innocence in court :eek:

But you can take it to court. You only are guilty if you accept the charge.....

I've been charged with dangerous driving, it was then lowered to driving with due care and attention.

Funny thing is I wasn't even moving so how can this be so.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,280 ✭✭✭✭Eric Cartman

Mr Snow wrote: »

as much as id think "for f*ck sake, you drive for a living" the '3 times over the limit' for him is 0.06 (professional drivers limited to 0.02) , so he's only just over the civilian limit of 0.05 , not even remotely near drunk, doesn't excuse it as he should know , but before the moral outrage kicks in , a standard built lad about 6ft in height would reach that limit with just over 1 pint.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭RayCun

as much as id think "for f*ck sake, you drive for a living" the '3 times over the limit' for him is 0.06 (professional drivers limited to 0.02) , so he's only just over the civilian limit of 0.05 , not even remotely near drunk, doesn't excuse it as he should know , but before the moral outrage kicks in , a standard built lad about 6ft in height would reach that limit with just over 1 pint.

So he shouldn't have one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,279 ✭✭✭Chiparus

Well his career as a trucker is over for 2 years at least.

It should be the same for using a hand held phone.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,280 ✭✭✭✭Eric Cartman

RayCun wrote: »
    So he shouldn't have one.

Thats true , very stupid decision (more likely still just over the limit from previous day though ) but publishing '3 times over the limit' conjures up images of some slurred drunk madman all over the road when the reality is a lad who wasn't even near drunk ,

• Advertisement

I bought myself a breathalyzer for this very reason.

If it's over I won't drive it's better for me to use a holiday.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

I bought myself a breathalyzer for this very reason.

If it's over I won't drive it's better for me to use a holiday.

How reliable are they? I thought about one myself before but wasn't sure if they were just random and came with disclaimers.

Patww79 wrote: »
    How reliable are they? I thought about one myself before but wasn't sure if they were just random and came with disclaimers.

Got one on Amazon and I've tested it to see.

It's fairly accurate. Around £25 £30

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,492 ✭✭✭pleas advice

here's one from facebook:

Carlow Roads Policing Unit dealing with 2 different incidents on the M9 today regarding speed, both causing dangerous conditions for other drivers....a tractor driving under the required minimum speed for this vehicle on a motorway and a lorry traveling in excess of the speed allowable for this vehicle. Drivers must be mindful of breaking distances and reaction times regarding not just their driving but of other drivers also! #arrivealive #SlowDownDay

https://www.facebook.com/137389766907398/photos/a.149472575699117/274538983192475/?type=3&theater

tractor clocked at 44kph, I'm sure it could hit 50 downhill with a load behind it...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,829 ✭✭✭tcawley29

Carlow Roads Policing Unit dealing with 2 different incidents on the M9 today regarding speed, both causing dangerous conditions for other drivers....a tractor driving under the required minimum speed for this vehicle on a motorway and a lorry traveling in excess of the speed allowable for this vehicle. Drivers must be mindful of breaking distances and reaction times regarding not just their driving but of other drivers also! #arrivealive #SlowDownDay

https://www.facebook.com/137389766907398/photos/a.149472575699117/274538983192475/?type=3&theater

tractor clocked at 44kph, I'm sure it could hit 50 downhill with a load behind it...

I thought the rule was that the vehicle must be capable of doing 50km/hr.
    I didn't realize the vehicle actually had to drive at a minimum of 50km/hr however I am absolutely delighted they can.

Personally I don't think anyone should be on a motorway unless they can do at least 80km/hr and even then thats slow.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,257 ✭✭✭✭flazio

tcawley29 wrote: »
    I didn't realize the vehicle actually had to drive at a minimum of 50km/hr however I am absolutely delighted they can.

Personally I don't think anyone should be on a motorway unless they can do at least 80km/hr and even then thats slow.

Depends on road conditions and density of traffic. M7 around Naas, M4 leaving Dublin as far as Kilcock and the M50 in newly wet conditions would be prime examples as to perhaps take it a little easier and just go with the flow.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,829 ✭✭✭tcawley29

flazio wrote: »
    Depends on road conditions and density of traffic. M7 around Naas, M4 leaving Dublin as far as Kilcock and the M50 in newly wet conditions would be prime examples as to perhaps take it a little easier and just go with the flow.

Maybe so but 50km/hr is still taking the piss to be honest

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,065 ✭✭✭✭Odyssey 2005

Is the speed limit for a HGV not 100kph ?. Was this a special load or something as he was clocked at 98 kph

Is the speed limit for a HGV not 100kph ?. Was this a special load or something as he was clocked at 98 kph

90km/h on motorways and 80km/h on National roads once 80km/h or more posted.

• Advertisement

90km/h on motorways and 80km/h on National roads once 80km/h or more posted.

Thought it was 100, same as coaches. Less than 5 mph over is a bit rich though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,327 ✭✭✭highdef

8kmph.....using metric and and imperial in one sentence is confusing plus we don't use imperial for speed limits in this country except on the railways.

Years ago it was 55mph and on any road with the limit of 60mph or 70mph was ok.

When it changed to km/h they reduced it 80km/h.

highdef wrote: »
    8kmph.....using metric and and imperial in one sentence is confusing plus we don't use imperial for speed limits in this country except on the railways.

Excuse you. You still managed to work it out:rolleyes:. Who's this we business

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,662 ✭✭✭BaronVon

Yeah but the lorry should be limited to 90 kmph, so it would appear to not have a functioning limiter as well as speeding.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,219 ✭✭✭pablo128

infacteh wrote: »
    Yeah but the lorry should be limited to 90 kmph, so it would appear to not have a functioning limiter as well as speeding.

I have to say I was driving a fully loaded small truck, (Isuzu npr) going downhill on the n11 when I noticed I was doing 110 kmh. The weight was pushing it past the limiter.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,922 ✭✭✭GM228

tcawley29 wrote: »

The Facebook page is misleading and Gardaí don't always get the information exactly right on their Twitter or Facebook accounts.

There is NO minimum speed on a Motorway, rather the law states any vehicle capable of maintaining a speed of 50 km/h when loaded may use the motorway. Motorway use is based on capability, not an actual minimal speed.

The Tractor/trailer in the picture was not plated and legally only capable of 40 km/h and therefore not entitled to use the Motorway, had it been a 50 km/h + plated tractor/trailer it would be legally entitled to use the Motorway.

It should be noted however, that someone driving slow on a Motorway however can be done for dangerous driving.

Years ago it was 55mph and on any road with the limit of 60mph or 70mph was ok.

When it changed to km/h they reduced it 80km/h.

I assume you are talking about HGVs? They have never had a 55MPH speed, rather the general road speed limit was at a time 55MPH, this was separate to the prescribed HGV speed limit. HGVs had a 50MPH speed limit long before km/h was introduced.

infacteh wrote: »

Despite their name speed limiters don't limit speed, rather that is the speed the throttle is cut at, depending on the gradient a vehicle with a speed limiter can travel well in excess of the limited speed.

Plated? as in number plates??

Scrap the cap!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,922 ✭✭✭GM228

Plated? as in number plates??

Speed disc would have been more accurate for me to say, but we generally say plated referring to two things.

Manufacturer plates and speed discs, applicable to all new tractors and trailers since January 1st 2016, any tractor or trailer without a speed plate is limited to 40 km/h.

• Advertisement

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,297 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

You really do have to question the wisdom of allowing a person who thinks a tyre in that condition is acceptable to drive on, retain their HGV licence.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,254 ✭✭✭Kevin Finnerty

bazz26 wrote: »
    You really do have to question the wisdom of allowing a person who thinks a tyre in that condition is acceptable to drive on, retain their HGV licence.

While I agree wholeheartedly, you can never tell their work circumstances. If it's a company truck, they should be prosecuted as well. If it's their own, they deserve everything they get.

There's no excuse for a so-called professional driver taking a vehicle out on the road in that condition.

Scrap the cap!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 907 ✭✭✭Under His Eye

It's like another bmw thread

• Registered Users Posts: 6,293 ✭✭✭DaveyDave

There's no excuse for a so-called professional driver taking a vehicle out on the road in that condition.

Agreed. It's up to the driver to inspect the vehicle before driving it. On top of that if he's working for a company it's easy enough to get someone out to replace a tyre.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement