Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Garda Traffic on Twitter 2

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

DaveyDave wrote: »
    Agreed. It's up to the driver to inspect the vehicle before driving it. On top of that if he's working for a company it's easy enough to get someone out to replace a tyre.

I get the part about inspecting, but that's totally naivety in the latter part. So many companies don't care and if you won't drive it then bye bye.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,293 ✭✭✭DaveyDave

Patww79 wrote: »
    Agreed. It's up to the driver to inspect the vehicle before driving it. On top of that if he's working for a company it's easy enough to get someone out to replace a tyre.

I get the part about inspecting, but that's totally naivety in the latter part. So many companies don't care and if you won't drive it then bye bye.

Something should change in the industry then. People's safety shouldn't be at risk driving down the motorway because some cheap cúnt of an employer won't swap out a tyre. Then maybe people wouldn't have to worry about their job security.

• Registered Users Posts: 104 ✭✭Farfromhome02

He should not have taking the truck out of the yard with a tyre in that condition,refuse and lose your job unfortunetly,they will find another lad who will drive it,haulage is a race to the bottom,all these CPC books and nothing in them relates to what happens in the real world,only good for toilet paper

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,660 ✭✭✭Mr Snow

• Registered Users Posts: 6,293 ✭✭✭DaveyDave

I'd love to hear the excuses these people would come up with for doing 100 odd in a 50 zone or not having tax or insurance for a few years. I'd say there's some interesting stories alright.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,387 ✭✭✭redcup342

I'd love to hear the excuses these people would come up with for doing 100 odd in a 50 zone or not having tax or insurance for a few years. I'd say there's some interesting stories alright.

I guess it's probably because they thought there wouldn't be any Gardai on that stretch of road :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,722 ✭✭✭nice_guy80

Do gardai check UK registered cars are taxed and insured?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 907 ✭✭✭Under His Eye

They can check insurance. Tax is of no concern to them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,236 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

nice_guy80 wrote: »
    Do gardai check UK registered cars are taxed and insured?

Can't imagine they care about the tax but there is an obligation on everyone using the roads to ensure they have valid proof of insurance.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,936 ✭✭✭ewj1978

169!! in a 100 zone and he got a FCPN?????

• Closed Accounts Posts: 907 ✭✭✭Under His Eye

ewj1978 wrote: »
    169!! in a 100 zone and he got a FCPN?????
    That's Garda discretion.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,648 ✭✭✭AGC

Stretch of road coming from Ashbourne to Dublin where it goes from motorway to 100kph to 50kph as you come to the M50 intersection and I would safely say every car, can or truck would be stopped.

Been stopped myself and the traffic lad said once he finishes with 1 he is onto the next.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,332 ✭✭✭V8 Interceptor

AGC wrote: »
    Stretch of road coming from Ashbourne to Dublin where it goes from motorway to 100kph to 50kph as you come to the M50 intersection and I would safely say every car, can or truck would be stopped. Been stopped myself and the traffic lad said once he finishes with 1 he is onto the next.

There's not a single vehicle that does the posted 31mph at that spot. In fact if you dropped right down to that speed you'd nearly cause a crash :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭RayCun

There's not a single vehicle that does the posted 31mph at that spot. In fact if you dropped right down to that speed you'd nearly cause a crash :(

It isn't a posted 31. Its a posted 50.

Why do people think converting the speed limit into miles is relevant to anything?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,327 ✭✭✭highdef

RayCun wrote: »

Why do people think converting the speed limit into miles is relevant to anything?

I haven't the foggiest. We all know that what we should say is 45.567 feet per second! LOL

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,219 ✭✭✭pablo128

Because a good chunk of cars in Ireland are UK imports with mph clocks.

Carry on.

pablo128 wrote: »

Carry on.
    That's completely irrelevant. Ireland uses metric units for speed. The importation of vehicles into the country has absolutely no bearing or impact on the use of metric units or a need to convert to British Imperial units.

Carry On.

pablo128 wrote: »

Carry on.
    That's completely irrelevant. Ireland uses metric units for speed. The importation of vehicles into the country has absolutely no bearing or impact on the use of metric units or a need to convert to British Imperial units.

Carry On.

It isn't a posted 31. Its a posted 50. Why do people think converting the speed limit into miles is relevant to anything?

Its relevant to me. I operate in miles, always will.

While we're at it, 0-62 times annoy me somewhat. 'Twas 0-60 since the dawn of time.

• Registered Users Posts: 113 ✭✭floatwinner

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,862 ✭✭✭✭inforfun

Still more grip than with some of those Chinese feckers :D

• Registered Users Posts: 104 ✭✭Farfromhome02

Super soft F1 tyres
    Id say they never warmed them up before they left the pits
    Amateurs

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,599 ✭✭✭newmember2

Mr Snow wrote: »

Does the car not get impounded for parking in a disabled bay?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,685 ✭✭✭✭wonski

newmember? wrote: »
    Does the car not get impounded for parking in a disabled bay?

No. But there is hefty fine of 150 euro.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 83,517 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

wonski wrote: »
    No. But there is hefty fine of 150 euro.

Owner likely saved many multiples of that in parking charges it allowed them to dodge.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,093 ✭✭✭Patser

Owner likely saved many multiples of that in parking charges it allowed them to dodge.

Owner has now had fairly distinctive car posted and commented on all over the web, and will also have need to find somewhere new to park fairly distinctive car as it'll be spotted fairly quickly if he tries it again.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,420 ✭✭✭✭sligojoek

Like the proverbial sore thumb.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,257 ✭✭✭✭flazio

One from the UK
    (saw on my Facebook feed via Buzz.)
    https://twitter.com/WYP_TrafficDave/status/1058823119421538306?s=19

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,812 ✭✭✭✭joujoujou
    Unregistered Users

That's a far auld lick in a Feshty.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,797 ✭✭✭rizzee

That's a far auld lick in a Feshty.

Downhill and wind boi

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,529 ✭✭✭irishgeo

joujoujou wrote: »
    Thought it was illegal to stop on the hard shoulder of the motorway under any circumstances. Secondly is that guard standing on a live motorway lane taking that picture?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,257 ✭✭✭✭flazio

To answer your first point, you can pull over at the request of An Garda Síochana on the hard shoulder once you are happy about their identity, they should be driving in a vehicle with high visibility lights (even unmarked vehicles) and are trained to park behind you in such a way as to protect your vehicle, you should not leave your vehicle they are also trained as to how to conduct business safely on an active motorway. Remember it might be that your vehicle has a dangerous fault (e.g. leaking fluid) which may be a danger to other road users and you need to pull over as soon as possible once you are satisfied it's a Garda car behind you.

Second point, I don't know. It's possible the Guard thought the road clear or it's a lay-by but if it is an active road, then it's certainly a matter for the ombudsman and should not affect the prosecution for the motorist's offence.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,128 ✭✭✭Emmersonn

flazio wrote: »
    To answer your first point, you can pull over at the request of An Garda Síochana on the hard shoulder once you are happy about their identity, they should be driving in a vehicle with high visibility lights (even unmarked vehicles) and are trained to park behind you in such a way as to protect your vehicle, you should not leave your vehicle they are also trained as to how to conduct business safely on an active motorway. Remember it might be that your vehicle has a dangerous fault (e.g. leaking fluid) which may be a danger to other road users and you need to pull over as soon as possible once you are satisfied it's a Garda car behind you.

Second point, I don't know. It's possible the Guard thought the road clear or it's a lay-by but if it is an active road, then it's certainly a matter for the ombudsman and should not affect the prosecution for the motorist's offence.

Taking into account The Gárda Síochána's recent lapses to detail and memory loss (lost guns , mobile phones) and the inability to count (breathalysers) I would be sceptical as to their level of training. Maybe their twitter account needs more numbers to prove they actually exist. :rolleyes::D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,564 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

Could be standing in the central reservation and zooming in, but still not the brightest idea.

Scrap the cap!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,067 ✭✭✭✭martingriff

It could also be in a different location to where the offence took place as they seized the car or a stock photo. Also when seizing the car they may have blocked some of the road to safely load up and take away

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,085 ✭✭✭markc1184

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,564 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

It could also be in a different location to where the offence took place as they seized the car or a stock photo. Also when seizing the car they may have blocked some of the road to safely load up and take away

Solid yellow line so it's under motorway regulations.

Scrap the cap!

It's quite obviously a motorway slip road.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 52,404 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

Emmersonn wrote: »
    Taking into account The Gárda Síochána's recent lapses to detail and memory loss (lost guns , mobile phones) and the inability to count (breathalysers) I would be sceptical as to their level of training. Maybe their twitter account needs more numbers to prove they actually exist. :rolleyes::D

What were you done for?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,128 ✭✭✭Emmersonn

What were you done for?
    Did I hit an old raw nerve Gárda Tayto ;)

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement