Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Garda Traffic on Twitter 2

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,458 ✭✭✭✭dastardly00

seamus wrote: »
    Pretty stunned by the amount of people being caught by drug tests, and multiple drugs at that.

I wonder is it because they traditionally haven't been tested, that people feel more confident in risking it than they do with alcohol?

Pretty worrying in any case.

It is very worrying indeed. There was a post a few days ago showing a driver testing positive for three of the four drugs. I wonder how long before someone hits the jackpot and gets caught for being on all four! :eek:

https://twitter.com/GardaTraffic/status/1070326954874859526

It's good that they are getting jail time

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,893 ✭✭✭rex-x

Thats a penalty and a half!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,128 ✭✭✭Emmersonn

Don't believe it. Probably an hour or two at most. No room at the Inn. :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,685 ✭✭✭✭wonski

It is very worrying indeed. There was a post a few days ago showing a driver testing positive for three of the four drugs. I wonder how long before someone hits the jackpot and gets caught for being on all four! :eek:

These tests often throw false positives if one is on medication etc.

If this medication does not prohibit you from driving, as soon as blood results come back its all forgotten.

Have no doubt some of these results are probably right as it's not secret people do recreational or other drugs even behind the wheel.

But the overall number of mobile test failed vs prosecuted could be different story.

wonski wrote: »
    These tests often throw false positives if one is on medication etc.

What medications?

What medications?

I won't tell you the specific names. Obviously certain painkillers etc.

We use those tests at work and certain employees are exempt due to being on those and some who were not exempt failed and were subsequently allowed to be back after being suspended (paid) as their medication caused the test to be false positive.

I am not talking about opiates now.

These tests are not, and cannot be used, as an evidence. It's just an indication that one might be under influence.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,536 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

I'm just commenting on the person possibly being identifiable. If that was me I'd challenge it in court on the basis of the pic. He has the right to be presumed innocent and the post infers guilt. Due process exists for a reason and we should be thankful.

But yes I agree, don't be a d**k and speed, simple as!

given that any trial (assuming they were stupid enough to do that) would be in the district court. District court judges are assumed not to be swayed by what appears in the media so going to court is a really bad idea.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,812 ✭✭✭✭joujoujou
    Unregistered Users

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,432 ✭✭✭funkey_monkey

Can't see how they were given a seat belt ticket when not actually in the car at the time, what next, can you be done for having the back 3 belts connected when driving back from NCT?

It is recommended from the Advanced Driving courses that the rear seatbeats are buckled as it provides increased protection from objects in the boot travelling through into the occupants in the event of a crash.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 37,306 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

I wonder is it because they traditionally haven't been tested, that people feel more confident in risking it than they do with alcohol?
    I assume that it depends on how long it can be detected in your system for?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,157 ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

The picture is interesting. MiVue is a dashcam, do you reckon they were caught out because of a dashcam installed in their own cars which displayed their speed?

The picture is interesting. MiVue is a dashcam, do you reckon they were caught out because of a dashcam installed in their own cars which displayed their speed?

Wouldn't be surprised if they posted a video on social media tbh.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,823 ✭✭✭Captain_Crash

given that any trial (assuming they were stupid enough to do that) would be in the district court. District court judges are assumed not to be swayed by what appears in the media so going to court is a really bad idea.

I have limited experience in district court and don't practice law so cant speak for how judges view certain things. But what appears in the media would be the likes of the times or indo posting pics, its completely different when the prosecuting party posts things while also inferring guilt.

Anyway, were getting completely off topic here and I initially posted as a response to clarify some of the questions relating to the bikers privacy, so apologies to the mods!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,564 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

Emmersonn wrote: »
    Name and Shame. Why protect lawbreakers.

Why are they protecting some lawbreakers but not others then? Also, innocent until proven guilty in a court of law, and all that. They're very careful to cover over company names on entirely unroadworthy vans and trucks, if anyone deserves to be named and shamed it's an employer who sends a driver out in a dangerous vehicle.

Kamili wrote: »
    How do you know that is even the photo at the scene? Maybe its a staged or stock marketing type photo for illustration purposes that happened to fit in with the theme of the post.

Not at all likely, though, is it?

It's already happened. https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=108018642&postcount=4071

Scrap the cap!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,536 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

I have limited experience in district court and don't practice law so cant speak for how judges view certain things. But what appears in the media would be the likes of the times or indo posting pics, its completely different when the prosecuting party posts things while also inferring guilt.

Anyway, were getting completely off topic here and I initially posted as a response to clarify some of the questions relating to the bikers privacy, so apologies to the mods!

It isnot a question of how judges view things. It is the long held assumption that judges are immune to prejudice that may arise from media reports. The gardai did not post anything that they would not introduce in court if it came to that.

Unregistered Users

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,085 ✭✭✭markc1184

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 83,516 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

markc1184 wrote: »

You would need to be monumentally thick to believe that your incredibly poor artwork on the insurance disc would stand up at a checkpoint :D

They must be old school and never heard of a scanner and printer.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,415 ✭✭✭ofcork

So ins was out 3 years and tax/nct out too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,965 ✭✭✭blackwhite

You would need to be monumentally thick to believe that your incredibly poor artwork on the insurance disc would stand up at a checkpoint :D

And especially thick to keep a doctored disc that says 09-18 when it’s now Dec 18

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,648 ✭✭✭honeybear

Pretty stunned by the amount of people being caught by drug tests, and multiple drugs at that.

Pretty worrying in any case.

I commented on this previously-I’m amazed at the high number of drug drivers detected

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,946 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

honeybear wrote: »
    I commented on this previously-I’m amazed at the high number of drug drivers detected

And this is one of the reasons why I'd be against any notion to legalise "harmless" drugs like weed.

Bad enough as it is without a bunch of "legally" stoned drivers behind the wheel

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,219 ✭✭✭pablo128

_Kaiser_ wrote: »
    And this is one of the reasons why I'd be against any notion to legalise "harmless" drugs like weed.

Bad enough as it is without a bunch of "legally" stoned drivers behind the wheel

Alcohol is legal. The vast majority of drivers manage to abstain from drink driving. Couldn't legally be able to drive while under the influence anyway. The law wouldn't change in that regard.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,529 ✭✭✭irishgeo

markc1184 wrote: »

It's not going to matter soon whether you have a disk at all. ANPR will decide. Hopefully they start seizing cars at the roadside for no insurance like the UK.

• Advertisement

The number of drivers on our roads checking their Social Media fix far outweighs the number of stoned and drunk drivers. Walk down any city street or ride a motorcycle on our roads.

irishgeo wrote: »
    It's not going to matter soon whether you have a disk at all. ANPR will decide. Hopefully they start seizing cars at the roadside for no insurance like the UK.
    This will only work if the insurance companies update their database on at least a 2 hourly basis.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,983 ✭✭✭McCrack

If a driver is under the influence they will still be prosecuted

Legalising possession does not mean a person can then smoke cannabis and drive

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,829 ✭✭✭tcawley29

irishgeo wrote: »

Still won't work for people with the driving of other cars extension on their policy, or had that changed yet where a policy must be in place on the borrowed car.
    I heard there was a crack down but haven't followed up

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,005 ✭✭✭selectamatic

No there's still a few that don't require the borrowed car to have a policy.

I'm with Sertus/Rsa and it's not a requirement for them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,303 ✭✭✭SCOOP 64

No there's still a few that don't require the borrowed car to have a policy.

I'm with Sertus/Rsa and it's not a requirement for them.

Your right , inquired about this last week,

Thank you for your email.

Please be advised that driving other cars is a benefit for the policy holder only, and does not extend to the named drivers.

The car has to be Taxed and NCT and although we would prefer the car has its own insurance, it will be covered under your own insurance for Third Party protection during this time.

Kind regards,

Eoin Greally APA
    Underwritter
    Bank of Ireland Insurance Services

tcawley29 wrote: »
    Still won't work for people with the driving of other cars extension on their policy, or had that changed yet where a policy must be in place on the borrowed car.
    I heard there was a crack down but haven't followed up
    I'm with Axa and it's not a requirement with them.

Unregistered Users

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,257 ✭✭✭✭flazio

Waterford are very soft on their speeders. Anywhere else in the country 80km/h over the limit would take the driver off the road for a few months.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,606 ✭✭✭Damien360

flazio wrote: »
    Waterford are very soft on their speeders. Anywhere else in the country 80km/h over the limit would take the driver off the road for a few months.

M9 is heavily policed from Carlow all the way to Waterford. Every single time I travel that, I see 2 squad cars on different off ramps. Always marked cars. Camera vans always on Dungarvan road on both Waterford and Cork side of Dungarvan.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,660 ✭✭✭Mr Snow

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,660 ✭✭✭Mr Snow

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,080 ✭✭✭✭Big Nasty

In Rathkeale even the Garda cars are bling! :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,644 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

Big Nasty wrote: »
    In Rathkeale even the Garda cars are bling! :D

Far from being these are just an i30/i40 with a raised roof.....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,080 ✭✭✭✭Big Nasty

Far from being these are just an i30/i40 with a raised roof.....

I was talking about the new decals, but anyway.....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,415 ✭✭✭ofcork

I wonder are all the AMGs rr etc home for Christmas!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,500 ✭✭✭✭fullstop

They go to great lengths to cover up anything distinctive on a van, truck or car - even stickers.

Like I said it's a distinctive helmet and, for a biker, a very unusual choice of jacket. There are not many bikers in Ireland to begin with and the place this happened is known. It identifies a unique person.

Who cares? If you drive at nearly double the speed limit, that's the chance you take.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,140 ✭✭✭James Bond Junior

ofcork wrote: »
    I wonder are all the AMGs rr etc home for Christmas!

Quieter than usual this year. Increased policing and CAB activity seems to have deterred a lot from coming "home".

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,213 ✭✭✭bobbysands81

That is one of the most ridiculous arguments I’ve ever heard!!!

Do you actually think that legalizing “weed” would legalize drug driving?

I’ll give you a clue... alcohol is legal.

Damien360 wrote: »
    M9 is heavily policed from Carlow all the way to Waterford. Every single time I travel that, I see 2 squad cars on different off ramps. Always marked cars. Camera vans always on Dungarvan road on both Waterford and Cork side of Dungarvan.

Passed one today.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,116 ✭✭✭job seeker

Why is the reg plate pixelated?

I imagine to prevent someone copying the number plate and making clones.. open to correction though!

• Advertisement

job seeker wrote: »
    I imagine to prevent someone copying the number plate and making clones.. open to correction though!

Of a Garda car?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement