Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Garda Traffic on Twitter 2

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,254 ✭✭✭Kevin Finnerty

They could have blanked out the company details. A Mecedes van pulling it?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,254 ✭✭✭joeysoap

is the M11 not 120 mph?

Or is there a lower limit for trailers?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 128 ✭✭Johnny Red Cab

80 km/h for trailers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,081 ✭✭✭theguzman

80 km/h for trailers.

Even on Motorways?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 128 ✭✭Johnny Red Cab

theguzman wrote: »
    Even on Motorways?
    Yes.

Even in Germany you can't do over 80 on any autobahn whilst drawing a trailer.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,812 ✭✭✭✭joujoujou
    Unregistered Users

Yup, even on motorways.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,018 ✭✭✭knipex

tcawley29 wrote: »
    Easy to understand the insurance side of it. I would assume many people are getting priced out of the insurance market

Not so easy to understand. I came back after 2 years abroad to ring my previous insurer quitting me 2.8k for a 1.6tdi..

Shopped around and ended up getting it for 1500. Didn't even dream of driving until I had insurance..Absolutely no excuse..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,829 ✭✭✭tcawley29

knipex wrote: »
    Not so easy to understand. I came back after 2 years abroad to ring my previous insurer quitting me 2.8k for a 1.6tdi..

Shopped around and ended up getting it for 1500. Didn't even dream of driving until I had insurance..Absolutely no excuse..

Hey I'm not saying its okay or that I agree with it, however if there is a family already struggling to make ends meet and have to get to work/kids to school and so on then this will happen unfortunately.

And of course there is just the chancers out there who couldn't be bothered. They should be lamped in my opinion.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,660 ✭✭✭Mr Snow

• Advertisement

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,360 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

theguzman wrote: »
    Even on Motorways?

Why are you surprised by this?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,825 ✭✭✭Doctors room ghost

joeysoap wrote: »
    is the M11 not 120 mph?

Or is there a lower limit for trailers?

Kph

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,644 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

Look up videos on YouTube of trailers flipping out.

Driving a full trailer even at 80km/h is dangerous.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,415 ✭✭✭ofcork

No L plates on either the 3 series or Corolla.

Unregistered Users

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,274 ✭✭✭Oops!

Stuff like that is what gets cases thrown out in court.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,500 ✭✭✭✭fullstop

ofcork wrote: »
    No L plates on either the 3 series or Corolla.

It's great to see that law being enforced, even more so on those who don't bother displaying L-Plates in the hope of not getting caught. Too many chancers driving around on L-Plates for years and not a breeze how to drive.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,039 ✭✭✭tabby aspreme

Looks more like a transit, either way I doubt if it can tow 3500 kgs which would be the combined weight of the trailer and digger

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,564 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

Kph

km/h :)

Scrap the cap!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,327 ✭✭✭highdef

km/h :)

Genuine question but if it's km/h for metric, should it be m/h instead of mph for British imperial Measurements?

I've often typed kmph for kilometres per hour, based on mph for miles per hour.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,519 ✭✭✭TrailerBob

Look up videos on YouTube of trailers flipping out.

Driving a full trailer even at 80km/h is dangerous.

It's like anything... An idiot driving with a full trailer at 80k is dangerous.. a competent driver will have zero issues. it's not the trailer. A badly loaded trailer is dangerous... It's not the trailer... Operator error. Having said that, no need for going above that speed on Irish roads

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

highdef wrote: »
    Genuine question but if it's km/h for metric, should it be m/h instead of mph for British imperial Measurements?

I've often typed kmph for kilometres per hour, based on mph for miles per hour.

m/h is SI standard for "metres per hour".

"Miles" aren't an international standard unit of measurement, so mph is used to avoid confusion with the SI standard.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,564 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

I have seen mi/h for miles per hour

But anything goes with imperial measurements, there's no rhyme or reason with them which is why they're so headwrecking

Scrap the cap!

Unregistered Users

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,456 ✭✭✭blackbox

seamus wrote: »
    m/h is SI standard for "metres per hour".

"Miles" aren't an international standard unit of measurement, so mph is used to avoid confusion with the SI standard.

You don't often get things wrong Seamus, but an hour is not an SI unit. The SI unit to measure time is the second and the SI unit for speed is metres (or meters) per second.

Pedant or what?

Unregistered Users

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,685 ✭✭✭✭wonski

I see they really taking cars of learners on their own. Surprising tbh.

Strangely I went through two check points recently and never asked to show my license.

I guess those with L plates up are targeted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,862 ✭✭✭✭inforfun

Maybe because you have your **** in order?

If any of the "big 3" is missing in the windscreen you will probably be asked for your license.

Or if you drive like a twat.

I especially like the fact that lad was done for filming an accident. Hope some National reads that tweet and makes it news.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,257 ✭✭✭✭flazio

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,823 ✭✭✭Captain_Crash

I especially like the fact that lad was done for filming an accident. Hope some National reads that tweet and makes it news.

Not to be a pedant, but he's been done for using a mobile phone while driving, he just happened to be filming an accident when caught.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,195 ✭✭✭GrumpyMe

Not to be a pedant, but he's been done for using a mobile phone while driving, he just happened to be filming an accident when caught.

An Garda Síochána‏Verified account @GardaTraffic Feb 5

Offence is holding the phone while driving. Post was highlighting what driver was doing at time. Circumstances may also justify offence of driving without due care and attention.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 946 ✭✭✭Phileas Frog

James Bond is in Ireland it seems... Must be scoping out the place for post-Brexit.

https://twitter.com/GardaTraffic/status/1094312050266910720

I'd say more than likely driving without due care. Either way he was done,and delightedfor him.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,722 ✭✭✭nice_guy80

Wonder did they get the driver going the wrong way down the N4 dual carriageway last night.
    Scary stuff

• Advertisement

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,280 ✭✭✭✭Eric Cartman

flazio wrote: »

Normally id be the first to give out about a disabled space being used, but in this specific case heres clane , the red dot is the chipper, the purple is where this guy was parked with his trailer and due to the angled parking spots and other plethera of disabled bays , the green dots are the only places in the whole village that you could park a jeep and trailer , provided theres atleast 2 if not 3 bays in a row free. Its clearly night and theres 4 disabled bays along the entire street plus the ones in the private off shoot carparks. If there was one car in each of the sections of parking up where the green dots are (in any position) then there was no way to legally park a jeep and trailer.
    472710.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,606 ✭✭✭Damien360

Normally id be the first to give out about a disabled space being used, but in this specific case heres clane , the red dot is the chipper, the purple is where this guy was parked with his trailer and due to the angled parking spots and other plethera of disabled bays , the green dots are the only places in the whole village that you could park a jeep and trailer , provided theres atleast 2 if not 3 bays in a row free. Its clearly night and theres 4 disabled bays along the entire street plus the ones in the private off shoot carparks. If there was one car in each of the sections of parking up where the green dots are (in any position) then there was no way to legally park a jeep and trailer.
    472710.jpg

The lidl carpark is just off picture. No gates to it and closer to the chipper

flazio wrote: »
    Damien360 wrote: »
    The lidl carpark is just off picture. No gates to it and closer to the chipper

lidl is outside the town past the maxol garage , not even in that shot, assuming you mean aldi on the corner, there is indeed a gate that closes when they do.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,606 ✭✭✭Damien360

lidl is outside the town past the maxol garage , not even in that shot, assuming you mean aldi on the corner, there is indeed a gate that closes when they do.

Apologies. Aldi. I honestly never know which is which even though we shop in Aldi

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,366 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

If there was one car in each of the sections of parking up where the green dots are (in any position) then there was no way to legally park a jeep and trailer.

If there was no way to legally park it, then tough bananas, you go and park somewhere else where you can legally park.

If there was no way to legally park it, then tough bananas, you go and park somewhere else where you can legally park.

outside the motor factors or the car park at the old gym beside the maxol over 500 meters away are probably the nearest. on a rainy night when you just want to grab some dinner a bit of leniency would be nice, if it was the car on its own id be onboard but as ive detailed there is so little parking for a vehicle and trailer in that town that this makes the most sense.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,983 ✭✭✭McCrack

outside the motor factors or the car park at the old gym beside the maxol over 500 meters away are probably the nearest. on a rainy night when you just want to grab some dinner a bit of leniency would be nice, if it was the car on its own id be onboard but as ive detailed there is so little parking for a vehicle and trailer in that town that this makes the most sense.

An abled body person can park 500 metres away get out and put up an umbrella and walk back

Not so easy if your paraplegic

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,965 ✭✭✭blackwhite

Maybe bringing a trailer towing another car along with you the chipper wasn’t the brightest move then

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,085 ✭✭✭markc1184

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement