Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Garda Traffic on Twitter 2

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,257 ✭✭✭✭flazio

I can't understand that sort of mentality. If for example, I am moving my car to another parking space, I don't wear my belt for that and it just feels wrong. That little 'hug' feeling in the car. We can argue all day about speeding and who can handle their drink, but seat belts... why would you not wear one?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,128 ✭✭✭Emmersonn

flazio wrote: »
    I can't understand that sort of mentality. If for example, I am moving my car to another parking space, I don't wear my belt for that and it just feels wrong. That little 'hug' feeling in the car. We can argue all day about speeding and who can handle their drink, but seat belts... why would you not wear one?
    If a person is not bothered with insurance, a little old seatbelt is totally irrelevant .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,280 ✭✭✭✭Eric Cartman

flazio wrote: »

There was a survey done before , ill try dig it up, and theres twenty something percent of irish women don’t wear seatbelts at all, some of the biggest reasons cited were ‘it would ruin my tan’ or ‘it doesnt look good’ it was quite shocking.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,865 ✭✭✭fancy pigeon

outside the motor factors or the car park at the old gym beside the maxol over 500 meters away are probably the nearest. on a rainy night when you just want to grab some dinner a bit of leniency would be nice, if it was the car on its own id be onboard but as ive detailed there is so little parking for a vehicle and trailer in that town that this makes the most sense.

The car park beside AIB, I could never understand why it's reversed the side you drive on :confused:

That would have been the place to park, but I'd say the driver didn't want to pay for the parking along with the thoughts of the barrier

Don't know about others but I wouldn't fancy walking round Clane at night... Doesn't bother me if others want to do so though, leave them to it

The car park beside AIB, I could never understand why it's reversed the side you drive on :confused:

That would have been the place to park, but I'd say the driver didn't want to pay for the parking along with the thoughts of the barrier

Don't know about others but I wouldn't fancy walking round Clane at night... Doesn't bother me if others want to do so though, leave them to it

Theres no way youd turn a car transporter in , around and out of that weird carpark especially to get a bag of chips

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

So go drop off the trailer, go home and order some food.

You can go 3 weeks without food. He just didn't give a fnck. Anything else is just a weak excuse for ignorance.

Theres no way youd turn a car transporter in , around and out of that weird carpark especially to get a bag of chips

It may take a bit of manouvering but it's very much doable. Granted it is tight on room to get to the spaces themselves, but there's plenty of room to reverse and drive out with a standard setup

I've done it myself; ifor williams 14ft twin axle with the Santa Fe. Had to get money from the bank, didn't want to block the street ;)

seamus wrote: »
    So go drop off the trailer, go home and order some food.

You can go 3 weeks without food. He just didn't give a fnck. Anything else is just a weak excuse for ignorance.

Home could easily be 10km away out there with no delivery service

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,576 ✭✭✭garv123

markc1184 wrote: »

Some hero commenting about why should the guards be able to tell him what to do, wearing a seatbelt should be his choice if hes in the car on his own :pac::pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,025 ✭✭✭✭GBX

Home could easily be 10km away out there with no delivery service

That may be the case. But somebody with a disability might need the spot but that driver is in getting his dinner and taking up the spot just to get his feed. I wonder did they put any thought into alternative parking or just land there and think, "I'll be only a few minutes" ? Because that few minutes to a disabled person who has to park somewhere else, could end up being a 30 minute walk all of a sudden?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,327 ✭✭✭highdef

McCrack wrote: »
    An abled body person can park 500 metres away get out and put up an umbrella and walk back

Not so easy if your paraplegic

Chances are, the driver of the SUV is very much able bodied as he/she had a trailer attached which most likely means that he was transporting something big and bulky and would also most likely require a half decent level of fitness/ability to load/unload to/from the trailer.

You could argue that the person is not very able bodied and was assisted with the trailer (whether it be attaching the trailer to the car or loading items on to it) but the driver should be fit enough to be responsible for the load they are transporting.

But long story short, the driver is simply most likely to be lazy and selfish. It was late in the evening so there most likely was parking available at the Esso which is literally just up the road <2 minutes walk away. The Tesco Express is only slightly further up the road at about 500m away and the car park is open until at least 10pm.

It's annoying to read of people making up excuses for lazy and selfish people getting caught and penalised for their wrongdoings. The driver made a conscious decision to park illegally, hoping to get away with it and lost the gamble. If the driver somehow didn't notice that he was parking illegally, then he is driving without due car and attention and shouldn't be on the road in the first place.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,067 ✭✭✭✭martingriff

outside the motor factors or the car park at the old gym beside the maxol over 500 meters away are probably the nearest. on a rainy night when you just want to grab some dinner a bit of leniency would be nice, if it was the car on its own id be onboard but as ive detailed there is so little parking for a vehicle and trailer in that town that this makes the most sense.

So f/%k the disabled driver I dont want to get my hair wet. How about you try taking a wheelchair out of your car and put the wheels and then lift yourself in to it all like a disabled. There is no leniency as you are taking up a space 1 of few compared to others for people with a disability. Now I only mentioned a person in a wheelchair as I am in 1 but I could have mentioned others with limited mobility.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,812 ✭✭✭✭joujoujou
    Unregistered Users

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,870 ✭✭✭CrabRevolution

I'm always curious as to why on every tweet about speeding there'll be one person who'll convert the speed to mph and post it, saying it's "only x". What's the significance of it?

Do they honestly think that since it looks a smaller number it's not really speeding?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,467 ✭✭✭h3000

I'm always curious as to why on every tweet about speeding there'll be one person who'll convert the speed to mph and post it, saying it's "only x". What's the significance of it?

Do they honestly think that since it looks a smaller number it's not really speeding?
    Not excusing excessive speed but.....
    I have to say I still automatically roughly convert to miles for speed or distance for some reason. No idea why I still do but I do. I suppose it's just what it was when I started driving.

0118 999 881 999 119 725 3

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,219 ✭✭✭pablo128

A huge amount of cars in Ireland are ex UK and have mph on the clocks. It's natural a lot of people convert the speed to miles to understand more how fast the speed is.

pablo128 wrote: »
    A huge amount of cars in Ireland are ex UK and have mph on the clocks. It's natural a lot of people convert the speed to miles to understand more how fast the speed is.

I think "huge" is a "massive" overstatement. In any case, why would you have to convert to British Imperial measurements to to understand how fast the speed is?
    Is 5,280 feet per mile easier to understand that 1,000m per kilometre?

Also, as all posted speeds are metric, is it not a chore to convert from simple metric units to complicated imperial ones?

Would it not be a lot easier for people with imperial dials to simply remember the key speeds? 30 mph is about 50 km/h, 50 mph is about 80 km/h, 60 mph is almost 100 km/h and 75 mph is about 120 km/h.....this seems fairly simple to me and then we don't have to quote ancient complicated foreign measurements that are no longer used in Ireland.

I do have a confession though....I still weigh myself in pounds!!! But I keep that to myself. I quote my 60kg weight to everyone else :-)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,226 ✭✭✭Credit Checker Moose

Republic of Ireland
    What has a football team got to do with things. The correct name of the state is Ireland.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,536 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

highdef wrote: »
    I think "huge" is a "massive" overstatement. In any case, why would you have to convert to British Imperial measurements to to understand how fast the speed is?
    Is 5,280 feet per mile easier to understand that 1,000m per kilometre?

Also, as all posted speeds are metric, is it not a chore to convert from simple metric units to complicated imperial ones?

Would it not be a lot easier for people with imperial dials to simply remember the key speeds? 30 mph is about 50 km/h, 50 mph is about 80 km/h, 60 mph is almost 100 km/h and 75 mph is about 120 km/h.....this seems fairly simple to me and then we don't have to quote ancient complicated foreign measurements that are no longer used in the Republic of Ireland.

I do have a confession though....I still weigh myself in pounds!!! But I keep that to myself. I quote my 60kg weight to everyone else :-)

you mean the ancient complicated foreign measurements that practically everybody over the age of 40 grew up with?

• Advertisement

What has a football team got to do with things. The correct name of the state is Ireland.

Was trying to avoid conflicting views as to the naming of Ireland so have amended my post (and I am happier now).

you mean the ancient complicated foreign measurements that practically everybody over the age of 40 grew up with?

Yes, they are the measurements that we stopped using about 12 years ago. I would have assumed that everyone over 40 would have been able to also move to metric units within the past 12 years since the change, especially as it's moving from a very complicated to a very simple measurement system.

Thankfully there are no more 8 furlongs to the mile, 660 feet to the furlong and 5,280 feet to the mile, not forgetting that there are 12 inches to the foot?????? I personally ditched imperial methods of calculating distance a long time before metrication was officially introduced as I couldn't fathom (see what I did there!!!!) the methodology of imperial units in comparison to metric units.

pablo128 wrote: »

The vast majority of UK cars have both km/h & mp/h on the clocks. Are you seriously arguing that people do division and multiplication every time they look at their speedometer rather than learning to ignore the mp/h part and just read the km/h?

The vast majority of UK cars have both km/h & mp/h on the clocks. Are you seriously arguing that people do division and multiplication every time they look at their speedometer rather than learning to ignore the mp/h part and just read the km/h?

Good point!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,219 ✭✭✭pablo128

That is exactly what I am suggesting. Try driving along and constantly looking at miniscule figures on a dial instead of the big ones. You would be into the back of someone in no time. There are people out there who have never owned a car with kms as the main numbers on the speedo.

I am one of them.

highdef wrote: »
    Yes, they are the measurements that we stopped using about 12 years ago. I would have assumed that everyone over 40 would have been able to also move to metric units within the past 12 years since the change, especially as it's moving from a very complicated to a very simple measurement system.

Thankfully there are no more 8 furlongs to the mile, 660 feet to the furlong and 5,280 feet to the mile, not forgetting that there are 12 inches to the foot?????? I personally ditched imperial methods of calculating distance a long time before metrication was officially introduced as I couldn't fathom (see what I did there!!!!) the methodology of imperial units in comparison to metric units.

some of us didnt find imperial all that difficult

• Advertisement

I'd wonder how many trying do the sums knew it was 1.6km to the mile to being with :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,085 ✭✭✭markc1184

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,812 ✭✭✭✭joujoujou
    Unregistered Users

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,564 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

Snap! (the two drivers, and the two posters :) )

Scrap the cap!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,254 ✭✭✭Kevin Finnerty

Which one is the minus? The one coming towards?

• Advertisement

Minus is going away.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,254 ✭✭✭joeysoap

I have an imported car. The KPH indicators are tiny, little blue dots at the 30mph, another one before the 40mph, etc etc so yes I did mental calculations when I saw speeds signs, (same as I used to when going into newry in my last car, only in reverse) .

I’m used to now so not as much but when you enter a town and pass the 60 sign you do sort of make sure your not over 40.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,564 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

Everybody under the age of 55 or so would have been taught metric in school. We started using metric for distances on road signs in the mid 70s, along with most food packaging etc.

Scrap the cap!

Everybody under the age of 55 or so would have been taught metric in school. We started using metric for distances on road signs in the mid 70s, along with most food packaging etc.

Well i'm under 55 by a good bit and i was thought imperial. Sure metric was mentioned but nor for day to day use. Pretty much everything we bought or used was imperial. Speed signs were imperial until 2005.

Well i'm under 55 by a good bit and i was thought imperial. Sure metric was mentioned but nor for day to day use. Pretty much everything we bought or used was imperial. Speed signs were imperial until 2005.

Under 30 (somehow) and also taught imperial in school. Yards, converting hectares to acres, gallons and pints. That was the late 90s/early 2000's

Navan is a backwards kip at best though

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,128 ✭✭✭Emmersonn

Well i'm under 55 by a good bit an5Speed signs were imperial until 2005.
    You must be what is known as a "Sloooow learner" As this is 2019. :D

Emmersonn wrote: »
    You must be what is known as a "Sloooow learner" As this is 2019. :D

Well now, no need to be rude. Its not exactly a lifetime ago.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,724 ✭✭✭oleras

I wonder do all these "imperialists" also convert Euro back to punts at the till...cos that's the way it was sure...:rolleyes:

oleras wrote: »
    I wonder do all these "imperialists" also convert Euro back to punts at the till...cos that's the way it was sure...:rolleyes:

Isn't is hilarious to see people getting wound up over nothing that concerns or affects them at all :D

• Advertisement

Damn! I arrived 45 minutes after that happened, according to the tweet time anyway... It's just outside AIB on the right

vlcsnap-2019-02-15-09h33m37s567.png

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,592 ✭✭✭tossy

Damn! I arrived 45 minutes after that happened, according to the tweet time anyway... It's just outside AIB on the right

vlcsnap-2019-02-15-09h33m37s567.png

I see people get done there all the time parking to go to the ATM - it's hilarious , i seen a Garda on a bike go through a taxi with a fine tooth comb after the taxi driver got a bit lippy with him, had the taxi there for about 25 mins :D

tossy wrote: »
    I see people get done there all the time parking to go to the ATM - it's hilarious , i seen a Garda on a bike go through a taxi with a fine tooth comb after the taxi driver got a bit lippy with him, had the taxi there for about 25 mins :D

Have seen Garda go through the taxi rank myself a few times too and I'm only an occasional visitor :D

Naas and it's general surrounding areas are some of the most patrolled roads I regularly encounter, I always see bikes/marked cars driving around, I can't understand why anyone would try step out of line in Naas itself!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,404 ✭✭✭✭Vicxas

Why would you even risk no tax or insurance with ANPR around.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,297 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

ANPR isn't everywhere though especially outside of large populated areas. It wouldn't be unheard of for some to be driving around without tax, insurance and NCT for years especially if they live in the arsehole of nowhere where enforcement is non existent. For others it's an occupational hazard where the risks of getting caught, fined and banned are less than the cost of being legal. And the longer these guys get away with it them more complacent they get. In many cases it's usually getting stopped for something less trivial like mobile phone in hand, no lights, unaccompanied learner, than actually them being flagged on ANPR.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement