Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Best time of the year to rent in dublin

Options
  • 06-06-2017 11:06pm
    Registered Users Posts: 775 ✭✭✭

This is more than likely a silly question...BUT I will ask it anyway.

Currently in a lease till October outside the city, and my partner and I will be looking to move to Dublin around then. I see several places up now that we would love to rent, however, I worry about whether the supply might drop off at different times of the year? Does anyone have any insight on this?

I know colleges/students returning in september may impact, but the types of places we would like to rent are likely out of the price range of the average student (unless they're much better off than I was!!!)..

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,235 ✭✭✭lucernarian

Musefan wrote: »
    This is more than likely a silly question...BUT I will ask it anyway.

Currently in a lease till October outside the city, and my partner and I will be looking to move to Dublin around then. I see several places up now that we would love to rent, however, I worry about whether the supply might drop off at different times of the year? Does anyone have any insight on this?

I know colleges/students returning in september may impact, but the types of places we would like to rent are likely out of the price range of the average student (unless they're much better off than I was!!!)..
    The market in my experience is disproportionately squeezed at the lower end, and for better or worse, I know folks who weren't happy about living with Brazilians or other foreign folk in apartments in central Dublin, especially where shared rooms were on offer. If those are not to one's liking or needs, 700 per month becomes a more realistic ballpark for rents in Dublin at least.

Some idea of budget or type of accommodation would really aid in talking about this.

• Registered Users Posts: 775 ✭✭✭Musefan

Hi, thanks for the reply. Budget is about 1500 pcm. We have no need for a house, it's just 2 of us.

• Registered Users Posts: 992 ✭✭✭jamesthepeach

There is not really a season in Dublin apart from student let's.
    Anything in your budget is thin on the ground all the time anyway.
    There is huge competition when viewing.
    A lot of those properties are being sold now too, and snapped up immediately.

Get a pack together with cover letter about yourselves, bank statements, work refs and references from previous landlords. Get refs from 3 previous landlords too, because nowadays landlords don't trust a reference from your current landlord. Have this in an email format because most landlords in Dublin now only invite to viewings after seeing that stuff via email.
    Other than that, short of trying to buy to sidestep all of that you could be in for a long and laborious process.
    Good luck with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,622 ✭✭✭Baby01032012

Like others have said there really isn't a season for demand given the lack of supply in Dublin. Definitely come end of summer demand increases at the lower end of the market. Any landlord would choose a couple over a group of students. At 1500 you could get any one bed but 2 beds in a central location are probably outside your price range. That's if you do want to spend that amount. You could look to rent something now and sublet for the summer until you move in. You would be responsible for getting those tenants and any damage done.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,192 ✭✭✭Fian

Musefan wrote: »
    Hi, thanks for the reply. Budget is about 1500 pcm. We have no need for a house, it's just 2 of us.

You should consider getting a 2 bed and subletting the spare room, lease permitting.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2 bopipi

The market in my experience is disproportionately squeezed at the lower end, and for better or worse, I know folks who weren't happy about living with Brazilians or other foreign folk in apartments in central Dublin, especially where shared rooms were on offer. If those are not to one's liking or needs, 700 per month becomes a more realistic ballpark for rents in Dublin at least.

Some idea of budget or type of accommodation would really aid in talking about this.
    Well sharing bedrooms with "Brazilians" is the cheapest option atm alright. (I adore Brazilians I should point out!) However there are still ways to find cheaper accom. I rented with my ex a few years back in Rathmines. I found the house through college listings. The landlady needed someone to take house over summer ASAP. Often (it seemed) college staff rented property through college listings but weren't very organised as landlords with filling said properties. We were good tenants and she was happy. Was super cheap too. By end of summer she would have been prepared to keep us on but it didn't suit my position at that time.

So maybe check college listings, get something for summer, be good tenants and then hopefully stay on if possible. Not so secure but just a thought for those on more strained budgets.

I see OP you have a higher budget though so I think you will be ok :)

• Registered Users Posts: 775 ✭✭✭Musefan

Fian wrote: »
    You should consider getting a 2 bed and subletting the spare room, lease permitting.

Never thought about that, thanks!

Advertisement