Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Can I claim?

Options
  • 07-06-2017 12:50am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 6

I had a bad fall at work and had to have surgery. The tricky thing is that it happened after my shift but still on the premises and I had been drinking with my boss.
    Does anyone know if I am still eligible to claim ?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 715 ✭✭✭ianob7

I had a bad fall at work and had to have surgery. The tricky thing is that it happened after my shift but still on the premises and I had been drinking with my boss. Does anyone know if I am still eligible to claim ?

If this is serious I would imagine the drinking would kill any chance of you claiming

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 NeedToKnow22

ianob7 wrote: »
    If this is serious I would imagine the drinking would kill any chance of you claiming

Thank you, that's all I needed to know

• Registered Users Posts: 715 ✭✭✭ianob7

Thank you, that's all I needed to know

No legal expert though so could be mistaken.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,186 ✭✭✭domrush

Was it the workplace's fault you fell e.g wet floor with no sign up or did you just fall down the stairs etc

domrush wrote: »
    Was it the workplace's fault you fell e.g wet floor with no sign up or did you just fall down the stairs etc

No I literally just stumbled and fell

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,093 ✭✭✭rawn

No I literally just stumbled and fell

You should definitely claim then. Let us know how you get on.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,926 ✭✭✭davo10

Priceless.

davo10 wrote: »
    Priceless.

Why is this priceless ? I'm here looking for advice! There's no need to be so smart

• Registered Users Posts: 2,018 ✭✭✭knipex

Was it your employers fault ?
    Were they negligent ?
    Did they do something wrong ?

From your answers i appears the answer to all the above is no so why would you expect to be able to claim from your employer ??

knipex wrote: »
    Was it your employers fault ?
    Were they negligent ?
    Did they do something wrong ?

From your answers i appears the answer to all the above is no so why would you expect to be able to claim from your employer ??

I have no clue that's why I came here to get advice.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,337 ✭✭✭Loveinapril

Common sense would indicate that if you fell under the influence of alcohol it is your fault. Why would you think you could get a payout because of it?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,236 ✭✭✭Dr. Kenneth Noisewater

Think a couple of ye might be being a bit hard on the OP. I don't think he/she is looking to actually engineer a claim.

Edit:
    My boss is the company owner . Thanks for the advice . I'm meeting with a solicitor today to see where I stand

On second thought, maybe he/she is trying to engineer a claim. Shame on you OP.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,337 ✭✭✭Loveinapril

The OP was under the influence of alcohol and stumbled and fell because of it. They obviously hurt themselves but they were responsible for the accident, not their employer.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,292 ✭✭✭Cunning Stunt

..after recent headlines about compensation for people hitting their knees off table legs and slipping on chips, I would not be surprised if the OP had a case here.
    Lots of people have made successful claims against pubs and clubs for falling while under the influence.

Morally speaking though, I don't think the OP should claim

I have no clue that's why I came here to get advice.

Just think for a second.

If your employer did nothing wrong, wasn't negligent or didn't contribute to the accident why would they be liable ??

• Registered Users Posts: 2,998 ✭✭✭xabi

You were drunk and fell over you're own feet, and you want to know if you can claim from your employer? Jesus wept.

• Registered Users Posts: 399 ✭✭elaverty

If you can't hold your drink..DONT DRINK..
    Why should your employer be expected to be liable to jepradise his business and other employees jobs because you can't hold your drink..
    And I suppose you would be the first complaining when he has to close down because he can't afford to pay his next premium hike..

• Registered Users Posts: 3,771 ✭✭✭irelandrover

Are you allowed drink at work? Or is there a possibility that you could face a misconduct charge?
    I'd say check your contract before you start asking questions at work.

• Registered Users Posts: 798 ✭✭✭Bicycle

Unless your boss is the company owner, I would think that drinking in work could be considered gross misconduct and as such would leave you open to disciplinary action.

On the other hand, the public liability insurance of the company might cover you.

If the injury is such that you may never work again, then consider suing under the company's public liability cover.

If the injury is minor - leaves you incapacitated for a couple of weeks or less - then put it down to experience.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,333 ✭✭✭✭DrPhilG

So if this gets as far as court can this thread be used as an admission by the OP that they were pished and that was the reason for the fall?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 547 ✭✭✭gerard2210

He was drinking with his boss, his boss may have contributed to the ops drunkenness causing him too fall. Im sure you'll find a reputable solicitor willing to take your case.*
    * not to be taken as actual legal advice

• Registered Users Posts: 1,257 ✭✭✭Pete67

It would depend on the circumstances. If alcohol was supplied by the company during a company sponsored event or social occasion that would be different from two colleagues sharing a few illicit drinks on the premises after work.

My boss is the company owner . Thanks for the advice . I'm meeting with a solicitor today to see where I stand

• Registered Users Posts: 12,333 ✭✭✭✭DrPhilG

Shame on you.

The next time you complain about the cost of insurance in Ireland remember this..

• Registered Users Posts: 14,726 ✭✭✭✭callaway92

What a disgrace

• Registered Users Posts: 137 ✭✭SwD

This is a worrying trend.

You fell by your own fault and want someone else to pay for your injury.

Despicable.

Why can't people just accept responsibility for their actions.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,998 ✭✭✭xabi

Thanks for contributing to the rising cost of my insurance.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,462 ✭✭✭XsApollo

This is like the boards version of where's Waldo, where's he going to pop up next :-D

Why don't you take your AK47 with you and ask the solicitor about your noisy neghnours too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 137 ✭✭SwD

Yesterday i was at work.

While closing up and leaving a bee stung me on my elbow.

The physical and mental damage has left me unfit for work.

I am in touch with a solicitor.

Advertisement