Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

First time aquarium

2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 32 Craigmc06

Hi all, so I added a few fish to my tank. I added one Bala shark and two Red fin shark. I told the fish keeper in the shop I had a 60 litre tank and he said these fish would be fine. When I got home I was looking into the fish I had got and it turns out the Bala shark can grow to over 30cm and the red fun shark can grow to 15cm. It turns out my tank is only. 51 litre tank.

I'm a bit worried that these fish especially the Bala shark is going to be too big for my tank.

Just wondering does anyone know if this will be the case?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,468 ✭✭✭CruelCoin

Craigmc06 wrote: »
    Hi all, so I added a few fish to my tank. I added one Bala shark and two Red fin shark. I told the fish keeper in the shop I had a 60 litre tank and he said these fish would be fine. When I got home I was looking into the fish I had got and it turns out the Bala shark can grow to over 30cm and the red fun shark can grow to 15cm. It turns out my tank is only. 51 litre tank.

I'm a bit worried that these fish especially the Bala shark is going to be too big for my tank.

Just wondering does anyone know if this will be the case?

They are fine for now.

People will tell you "that fish cannot be kept in a tank that size" as if the fish went in fully grown......which it does not.

You have some time before it becomes an issue, at which point every proper fishkeeping shop in the lands facilitates rehoming.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

The issue is that, assuming they live that long, a tank big enough for a full-grown bala shark is going to be expensive.

If I were you I'd take them right back. Most pet shop staff know nothing about fish, I like to do my research at home and go into the shop with a shopping list so I'm not tempted by a cool-looking impulse buy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 310 ✭✭OnDraught

If the "red finned sharks" are red tail black sharks one will kill the other as they mature.

Advertisement