Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

ESTA or VISA?

• 07-06-2017 12:58am
    Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭

Would it be a better idea to get an ESTA for an eight day trip to the US or get a VISA?. The ESTA would be cheaper and it would take less time but what would the chances be that we could get the ESTA sorted out then denied boarding on the plane. Just to be on the safe side, we wouldn't wanna lose money because we weren't allowed on the plane.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,186 ✭✭✭dee_mc

Why do you think you will be denied boarding?

• Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭DylanDude22

dee_mc wrote: »
    Why do you think you will be denied boarding?

Because its my first time flying to the U.S and I'm not exactly sure what i should be doing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,040 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

Because its my first time flying to the U.S and I'm not exactly sure what i should be doing.

You can be denied entry with a visa or the ESTA, all either do is allow you to turn up to the CBP officer to see if they will let you in. Unless you have convictions go with the ESTA.

Del2005 wrote: »
    You can be denied entry with a visa or the ESTA, all either do is allow you to turn up to the CBP officer to see if they will let you in. Unless you have convictions go with the ESTA.

So i could be spending a couple grand on plane tickets and hotel tickets to be denied entry? I have no convictions but it's a lot of money to possibly be throwing away.

If you're an Irish citizen or you're from any of the other countries that qualify for the esta visa waiver programme, theres about 30 of them, you don't need a visa, only the esta.
    It's a simple form and you can expect approval within a couple of days.
    You'd need a visa if you were from a country not on the official list and you'd have to jump through a few hoops, and extra cost as you mentioned in your first post, but that won't be an issue for you.
    Don't worry about it, just fill in the application ASAP and make sure it's the official site - there are several non official esta sites that charge more than the $14 and they look exactly the same until you get to the payment page, I nearly got caught out the last time I applied!
    Enjoy your trip, you've nothing to worry about!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 715 ✭✭✭ianob7

You'll be fine, no convictions means you'll sail through with the esta

Edit: dee_mc beat me to it

If you're an Irish citizen or you're from any of the other countries that qualify for the esta visa waiver programme, theres about 30 of them, you don't need a visa, only the esta.
    It's a simple form and you can expect approval within a couple of days.
    You'd need a visa if you were from a country not on the official list and you'd have to jump through a few hoops, and extra cost as you mentioned in your first post, but that won't be an issue for you.
    Don't worry about it, just fill in the application ASAP and make sure it's the official site - there are several non official esta sites that charge more than the $14 and they look exactly the same until you get to the payment page, I nearly got caught out the last time I applied!
    Enjoy your trip, you've nothing to worry about!

Just to be sure, this is the site correct ? - https://esta.cbp.dhs.gov/esta/

ianob7 wrote: »
    You'll be fine, no convictions mean you'll sail through with the esta
    Ok thank you!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 715 ✭✭✭ianob7

Just to be sure, this is the site correct ? -

Yep that's the one dude

Yep that's the one!
    Seriously don't stress it, you will have a great holiday!
    I've never seen anyone turned away and you'd want to see some of the dodgy people I've travelled with!

• Advertisement

Yep that's the one!
    Seriously don't stress it, you will have a great holiday!
    I've never seen anyone turned away and you'd want to see some of the dodgy people I've travelled with!

Haha thank you. We've got the hotel picked would it be ok to put down the hotel address and info on the ESTA application before we pay for the hotel? We know its the hotel we're booking into. So is it a good idea to put it down so we know we have the ESTA done then book?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,270 ✭✭✭twowheelsonly

No... I'd advise to book first.

Been there a few times and the only time we had any hassle was when our hotel was changed at very short notice (by the hotel). We were only held up for about 15 mins while they checked it out but it was enough to give us that squeaky bum feeling !!

Having said that it may be possible to change that at a later stage. I now there are one or two things you can go in and change just can't remember what they are. (AFAIR you have to give the address of where you'll be staying on your first night)

Ahh no worries. It can just be kind of worrying since im using expedia.ie they dont refund you if you cant get on the plane. Which is understandable but it still is a risky thing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,498 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

No... I'd advise to book first.

Been there a few times and the only time we had any hassle was when our hotel was changed at very short notice (by the hotel). We were only held up for about 15 mins while they checked it out but it was enough to give us that squeaky bum feeling !!

Having said that it may be possible to change that at a later stage. I now there are one or two things you can go in and change just can't remember what they are. (AFAIR you have to give the address of where you'll be staying on your first night)

You can change the address on the ESTA system, it's about the only thing you are allowed to change after the approval has been granted.

OP already knows this because all of the questions he is asking here have already been answered on his other thread ....

Do i need a VISA for a 1 week trip to America?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,635 ✭✭✭donegal.

op have all these questions and more not already been answered in your other thread ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 466 ✭✭c6ysaphjvqw41k

This post has been deleted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,730 ✭✭✭✭Fred Swanson

donegal. wrote: »
    op have all these questions and more not already been answered in your other thread ?

Most questions were answered in my previous thread but my friend wanted me to make on more post before we book anything.

The only thing I'm worried about is the fact that I'm unemployed. I've got no convictions and I've never traveled to the U.S and overstayed. I will of course have enough to take care of myself over there but they mightn't except that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,264 ✭✭✭Poochie05

The only thing I'm worried about is the fact that I'm unemployed. I've got no convictions and I've never traveled to the U.S and overstayed. I will of course have enough to take care of myself over there but they mightn't except that.

This is the most important thing, while you say of course you'll be able to, you need to satisfy them that you have enough to take care of yourself over there.

If you are unemployed, how are you going to pay for yourself over there? Have you savings? While you mightn't need them, have proof of everything to show them, bring a bank statement showing you've funds available to cover you.

Have proof of your return flights, if applicable show you've paid for hotels in advance. If there's anything that shows you have ties to return to in Ireland, if you're a student, maybe a letter from your college saying you are registered for next year.

All of these things will support your case.

• Advertisement

Poochie05 wrote: »
    This is the most important thing, while you say of course you'll be able to, you need to satisfy them that you have enough to take care of yourself over there.

If you are unemployed, how are you going to pay for yourself over there? Have you savings? While you mightn't need them, have proof of everything to show them, bring a bank statement showing you've funds available to cover you.

Have proof of your return flights, if applicable show you've paid for hotels in advance. If there's anything that shows you have ties to return to in Ireland, if you're a student, maybe a letter from your college saying you are registered for next year.

All of these things will support your case.

I'm 18 unemployed and out of school. I can get bank statements and recites for our bookings and all of that stuff, but the whole unemployed thing might be my downfall.

I'm 18 unemployed and out of school. I can get bank statements and recites for our bookings and all of that stuff, but the whole unemployed thing might be my downfall.

Surely you've some college course or PLC in the pipeline, or something you can talk to them about (like a job you've applied for, a plan!) - a voluntarily unemployed 18 year old with no evidence of plans would be a serious red flag, but you've a couple of months to rectify that.

I think it will probably raise a flag but if it's any consolation, I travelled to the US when I was unemployed, although it was a good few years ago at this stage.

My problem was that I had just returned home from working abroad and thought it was a good time to travel before I settled down to finding a job, so booked flights to visit a friend in the States and headed off to the airport.
    I didn't think of myself as unemployed but of course that was how it was viewed by the US officials! After the pre-screening questions when I answered I didn't currently have an occupation, the woman said: 'Oh you mean you're unemployed.' Only then did it dawn on me!

I was taken to a room to answer further questions, a lot around what I was going to do there, where I was going, my plans, but rather than whether I was going to overstay and work over there, they were more focussed on how would I pay for stuff while there. As I was genuinely going on holiday and had an itinerary I suppose eventually he could tell I wasn't lying. I had savings and return flights, but nothing else to really tie me to Ireland. But I was honest and answered the questions truthfully. I managed to get a statement to show them my savings, so after around 20 minutes being questioned the official said he was satisfied to let me board the plane.

So while it is a risk, if you are genuine and bring as much proof to support your claims, it could go your way. At 18, you are quite young, I presume being unemployed at your age is temporary, have a think about what your future plans are as they might ask about that.

You're probably overthinking it, but better to be prepared.

I think it will probably raise a flag but if it's any consolation, I travelled to the US when I was unemployed, although it was a good few years ago at this stage.

My problem was that I had just returned home from working abroad and thought it was a good time to travel before I settled down to finding a job, so booked flights to visit a friend in the States and headed off to the airport.
    I didn't think of myself as unemployed but of course that was how it was viewed by the US officials! After the pre-screening questions when I answered I didn't currently have an occupation, the woman said: 'Oh you mean you're unemployed.' Only then did it dawn on me!

I was taken to a room to answer further questions, a lot around what I was going to do there, where I was going, my plans, but rather than whether I was going to overstay and work over there, they were more focussed on how would I pay for stuff while there. As I was genuinely going on holiday and had an itinerary I suppose eventually he could tell I wasn't lying. I had savings and return flights, but nothing else to really tie me to Ireland. But I was honest and answered the questions truthfully. I managed to get a statement to show them my savings, so after around 20 minutes being questioned the official said he was satisfied to let me board the plane.

So while it is a risk, if you are genuine and bring as much proof to support your claims, it could go your way. At 18, you are quite young, I presume being unemployed at your age is temporary, have a think about what your future plans are as they might ask about that.

You're probably overthinking it, but better to be prepared.

We'll be booking the tickets and stuff on expedia.ie so we should have recites for everything. How much would i need in my bank account?

We'll be booking the tickets and stuff on expedia.ie so we should have recites for everything. How much would i need in my bank account?

Well I had around €3,000, but it really depends on how long you are going for and what you plan to do. If your accommodation is pre-paid, work out a daily allowance for food, drink and other activities and multiply by the number of days you are there.

Well I had around €3,000, but it really depends on how long you are going for and what you plan to do. If your accommodation is pre-paid, work out a daily allowance for food, drink and other activities and multiply by the number of days you are there.

Well we will be staying for 9 days. We don't have much of a plan. We're just gonna see what happens.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,730 ✭✭✭✭Fred Swanson

Yeah we will write out a schedule for the 9 days. So should we take the leap and book the tickets and hotel and hope for the best?

• Registered Users Posts: 99 ✭✭aon1998

OP if you're really worried about losing money, book you're hotel through booking.com and choose a room with free cancellation. I'm sure experia offer the option as well but it will cost you extra. For most hotels you can cancel up to 24 hours in advance, anything less than that they will charge you for the first night.

Better to lose the 1 night than 9 nights.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 466 ✭✭c6ysaphjvqw41k

Well we're going to Philly so theres not a whole lot that we can pre-book. We did actually plan to go to NY one of the days so we can always buy something for that before we go but they might find it odd that we're going to philly then to visit new york for a day.

Mr.S wrote: »
    You'd have to be really unlucky for them to check this though.

If OP is over the age of 18, with a return ticket, hotel booked and ESTA approved, he will sail through.

Thats reassuring.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,236 ✭✭✭Dr. Kenneth Noisewater

.....they might find it odd that we're going to philly then to visit new york for a day.

They won't. This time of year, they're well used to seeing European tourists coming in and tripping up and down the east coast. Day trips between cities along the way are very common. You really have nothing to worry about. I've been to the US loads of times and I can assure you, you're overthinking it. Go, do your thing, don't worry and enjoy your holiday!

I was in the US two weeks ago and sailed through immigration (with ESTA). I was only asked two questions; what was the purpose of my visit and how long was I staying. She stamped my passport and off I went. My girlfriend got grilled more than me, even though she's a US citizen!

They won't. This time of year, they're well used to seeing European tourists coming in and tripping up and down the east coast. Day trips between cities along the way are very common. You really have nothing to worry about. I've been to the US loads of times and I can assure you, you're overthinking it. Go, do your thing, don't worry and enjoy your holiday!

Thanks, i really appreciate it!

• Advertisement

Karsini wrote: »
    I was in the US two weeks ago and sailed through immigration (with ESTA). I was only asked two questions; what was the purpose of my visit and how long was I staying. She stamped my passport and off I went. My girlfriend got grilled more than me, even though she's a US citizen!

It's just the whole unemployed thing I'm worried about.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,770 ✭✭✭youngblood

Is the esta address .Gov and also do you up load your passport?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,498 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

youngblood wrote: »
    Is the esta address .Gov and also do you up load your passport?

It's this site. You have to enter your passport number as part of the process, they don't ask for a scan.

https://esta.cbp.dhs.gov/esta/

you'll need to have your passport and a credit or a debit card to pay the $14 fee. You don't need to fill in an address in the US, you can do that afterwards.

Don't apply if your passport expires before you intend to travel, the ESTA approval expires with your passport or in two years, whichever comes first.

Advertisement