Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Overseas student seeking help

• 07-06-2017 2:15am
    Registered Users Posts: 1

hello all 
    im an overseas student moving to galway from saudi arabia this august to study medicine at nui.
    i have looked all over the internet but i am still very confused about housing in galway. i can afford up to 750 per month and i prefer non shared accommodations, i have many questions.
    1-can i apply to for rent while im still over seas.
    2-what are the safest areas.
    3-im a smoker would that be a future concern.
    4-is a car a must have, would it make life way easier or is public transportation good enough.
    5- lets say rent is 750 per month would 1000 in cash be enough to pay all the other bills and survive the month. 
    i thank all of you in advance for your cooperation. hoping to enjoy my next 6 years in galway.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,689 ✭✭✭joeKel73

salman_als wrote: »
    i have looked all over the internet but i am still very confused about housing in galway. i can afford up to 750 per month and i prefer non shared accommodations, i have many questions.

You will likely find it difficult to find non-shared accommodation for €750 in Galway , especially in August/September when all the students arrive back to Galway.

The most used site for finding accommodation is
    http://www.daft.ie/
    1-can i apply to for rent while im still over seas.

You could but
    • You would leave yourself open to scams and poorly maintained accommodation by not viewing the property and meeting the landlord.
    • Most landlords would not bother replying due to the hassle of getting the deposit transferred and lease signed when they have people locally with cash ready.
    2-what are the safest areas.
    Galway is a safe city. Personally I would recommend Lower Salthill as the best value in terms of rent prices, distance to NUIG, distance to town and it's a quiet area.
    3-im a smoker would that be a future concern.
    Probably only an issue if you are sharing accommodation, you would need to check it is OK with the others. Or smoke outside.
    4-is a car a must have, would it make life way easier or is public transportation good enough.

Not necessary if you are living in Galway City. Most student accommodation is within walking distance of the university. You might get cheaper rent further east (Doughiska, Roscam,...) but those areas have a good bus service (409 and 403). You could also pick up a bike when you get here, NUIG has good secure bike storage.
    5- lets say rent is 750 per month would 1000 in cash be enough to pay all the other bills and survive the month. 
    Yes that should be plenty. I suspect you will end up spending more on rent and less on your other monthly living expenses.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

Galway city -> NUIG forum

• Registered Users Posts: 5 meganlars123

Hello, i'm going into 2nd year at NUIG and the best place to look for accommodation is through the facebook group ' househunting for sound people galway', landlords post here but also fellow students or tenants who are looking to fill a room that has become empty in their house. Also, I definitely saw a post in there recently about unshared accommodation for €650 a month, bills not included. The bills you will have to pay will be electricity (once every 2 months), bins, and internet. Usually that's all. In my house, internet is 50 a month, and electricity is about 160 every two months but these are both shared with 5 other people. 1000 a month is plenty to afford rent, bills, food and uni costs (books, stationary etc)!
    Best of luck if you haven't already found a place, it must be scary to move so far, I hope that you really like galway!

Advertisement