Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New Metal Light Switches not Earthed!

Options
124»

Comments

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,595 Mod ✭✭✭✭2011

I never rang him. I just got his number because I actually wanted him to come back and do some other work. Seemed like a good guy at the time!

Oh!
    So how did you select this particular builder?

Ultimately I would be holding the builder to account. You paid him to do a job, therefore technically you have a contact with him that he has failed to fulfill. The builder is deliberately withholding the electrician's details which so far has prevented you from getting this resolved. i would get a written estimate for costs to fix this work properly from a REC and threaten to peruse the builder for these costs.

• Registered Users Posts: 632 ✭✭✭cheif kaiser

2011 wrote: »
    Oh!
    So how did you select this particular builder?

Ultimately I would be holding the builder to account. You paid him to do a job, therefore technically you have a contact with him that he has failed to fulfill. The builder is deliberately withholding the electrician's details which so far has prevented you from getting this resolved. i would get a written estimate for costs to fix this work properly from a REC and threaten to peruse the builder for these costs.

Have done all that. He won't answer phone or email.

For now I have to install the plastic fittings and will look into getting the fittings earthed later on in the year. Too busy doing the garden for now :)

• Registered Users Posts: 17,098 ✭✭✭✭Sleeper12

Have done all that. He won't answer phone or email.

For now I have to install the plastic fittings and will look into getting the fittings earthed later on in the year. Too busy doing the garden for now :)

Report the person you paid to do the electrical work. In this case the builder. Put him down on the form as the electrician. He's the one you contracted in to do the electrical work. They will investigate & he'll have to provide the electrician's details or face prosecution.

You are willing to roll over to easy on this one. It's not out of vengeance or nastiness. Report him because by doing so may save someone's life down the road.

• Registered Users Posts: 632 ✭✭✭cheif kaiser

Sleeper12 wrote: »
    Report the person you paid to do the electrical work. In this case the builder. Put him down on the form as the electrician. He's the one you contracted in to do the electrical work. They will investigate & he'll have to provide the electrician's details or face prosecution.

You are willing to roll over to easy on this one. It's not out of vengeance or nastiness. Report him because by doing so may save someone's life down the road.

That is exactly what I did! I gave the builders name, company address and phone number and nothing! I then followed up with a phone call and they said no can't investigate without electricians name and RECI number and I quote 'it will be on the cert he gave you!' but he didn't give me a cert 'that's too bad, give us €350 and we'll send you details of all our registered electricians, you may be able to pick him out from that'

• Registered Users Posts: 17,098 ✭✭✭✭Sleeper12

That is exactly what I did! I gave the builders name, company address and phone number and nothing! I then followed up with a phone call and they said no can't investigate without electricians name and RECI number and I quote 'it will be on the cert he gave you!' but he didn't give me a cert 'that's too bad, give us €350 and we'll send you details of all our registered electricians, you may be able to pick him out from that'

It does not make sense what they are saying. They are there to catch non reci more so than reci. Non reci can't give you a cert.
    At this stage I'd report it to cer in writing.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,952 ✭✭✭✭Stoner

Sleeper12 wrote:
    It does not make sense what they are saying. They are there to catch non reci more so than reci. Non reci can't give you a cert. At this stage I'd report it to cer in writing.

Exactly, I think it's best to leave this now

The 350 issue issue does not add up. RECI are very interested in non registered work being carried out.

We are hovering on giving legal advice, tbh I don't think there is much more we can add to the advice you have been given above.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,567 ✭✭✭Risteard81

2011 wrote: »
    Emailing Safe Electric is emailing RECI. If you go to the Safe Electric site and click Contact Us, the RECI address and phone number comes up.

Email CER.

Emailing RECI and Safe Electric means that two different people will get the email, so twice the chance.
    I don't agree. The Safe Electric Scheme is a scheme solely operated by RECI. Essentially it is a name RECI is operating under. Contacting RECI is contacting RECI and contacting Safe Electric is contacting RECI. The same person at RECI is likely to get the e-mail. There is no organisation called Safe Electric - it's just a name used by RECI under licence from the CER.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,567 ✭✭✭Risteard81

Just tell them that a non-REC illegally carried out Restricted Electrical Works. This is a crime which can be prosecuted.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,595 Mod ✭✭✭✭2011

Risteard81 wrote: »
    I don't agree. The Safe Electric Scheme is a scheme solely operated by RECI. Essentially it is a name RECI is operating under. Contacting RECI is contacting RECI and contacting Safe Electric is contacting RECI. The same person at RECI is likely to get the e-mail. There is no organisation called Safe Electric - it's just a name used by RECI under licence from the CER.

I am not going to dispute that, what I was meant was that the chances of 2 different individuals within RECI receiving the same complaint would be increased by emailing both.

However I think we should leave the thread at that.
    We all seem to be providing the OP with similar advice and as Stoner said this seems to be bordering on legal advice which is not somewhere that we want to go.
    Risteard81 wrote: »
    Just tell them that a non-REC illegally carried out Restricted Electrical Works. This is a crime which can be prosecuted.

+1

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement