Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Learning to cycle

Options
  • 07-06-2017 12:09pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 870 ✭✭✭

Hi all,

I am someone who never learned to cycle - I did a little once one day, but was unsteady and sort of never returned to it - and I've sort of made it my mission to try again this summer.

Does anybody know of any adult learning classes? I see they exist in London, NY, etc., but not here (the one in Howth never returns queries).

Also is it a bit nuts to try to get into this, say long term to commute, given how Dublin is set up, when I see cyclists on some roads my hand is in my mouth with how dangerous it can look.

Thanks!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 29,293 ✭✭✭✭Mint Sauce

Do you know anyone who cycles, could ask them to help you, or borrow a friends bike (who may not mind someone wobbling or falling of it). Start by pushing your self along, maybe along some grass, or holding on the a wall, and trying to balance, maybe down a gentle slope, so you don't have to worry about pedeling until you have a bit more confidence. I know a couple of adults, and older teens who learnt like this.

Is the centre in Howth for learning how to ride a bike, or for provisincy for riding in the road and traffic.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 870 ✭✭✭scopper

Mint Sauce wrote: »
    Do you know anyone who cycles, could ask them to help you, or borrow a friends bike (who may not mind someone wobbling or falling of it). Start by pushing your self along, maybe along some grass, or holding on the a wall, and trying to balance, maybe down a gentle slope, so you don't have to worry about pedeling until you have a bit more confidence. I know a couple of adults, and older teens who learnt like this.

Is the centre in Howth for learning how to ride a bike, or for provisincy for riding in the road and traffic.

Cheers, I figure I can always just do what you say above, but just checking to see if there is anything out there.

The Howth place does both, starts off as the basics and then onto the road.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,208 ✭✭✭HivemindXX

I can't help you with information about lessons (although that does sound like a business opportunity for someone) but there are a lot of videos on this.

Have a search for "adult cycle learn" and see if anyone of them are useful. Here's one I like:-
    https://youtu.be/WP3DNPDKxOM

That recommends taking the pedals off to learn but if that's not something you can do then I don't think it's really necessary.

As for commuting I think that is very possible and I think the majority of people who take up commuting by bike find it is a huge improvement to their quality of life. Cycling appears to be a lot more dangerous than it actually is. It is very common for non-cyclists to tell me that it is so dangerous that it is a miracle I haven't been killed yet (literally, they say that) but the statistics show that it is safe.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,006 ✭✭✭Moflojo

Where do you live? The Phoenix Park (on the grass to begin with) is a good place to learn.

If you can't find anyone to teach you then send me a private message; I'd be willing to help you out depending on availability.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,245 ✭✭✭check_six

At the very beginning get a loan of a bike and turn it into a 'balance bike' by lowering the saddle and taking off the pedals. As Mint Sauce says above, push yourself along with your feet on a patch of grass. After a while you will be able to lift your feet off the ground as you travel. When you are confident that your balance is adequate get the pedals put back on and you will be able to start pedaling.

After that you will be able to tackle the courses. Reading up on Cyclecraft would give you a good idea of what to expect in advance.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 15,754 Mod ✭✭✭✭smacl

A good blog from someone doing this here; http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056963524

• Registered Users Posts: 5,606 ✭✭✭schemingbohemia

Cycle Right is designed for children but can be used by older learners. Contact the trainers listed here
    http://www.cycleright.ie/aproviders
    There might be a few adult training sessions as part of Bike Week next week.
    www.bikeweek.ie

It's definitely not nuts, in fact it could be the best decision ever. A mega health study showed commuting cyclists halved the likelihood of developing cancer, heart disease and early death.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,861 ✭✭✭fat bloke

You could try A4. That's where most people go to learn how to cycle as far as I can see... :pac:

(Best of luck with it, no small admission to make or undertaking to...take (?) when you're all grown up - my Mom never learned.)

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

HivemindXX wrote: »
    That recommends taking the pedals off to learn but if that's not something you can do then I don't think it's really necessary.

It is.

Learning to cycle is learning to cycle, adult or child its the same process of training your brain to correct balance with leaning and steering. My old man taught myself, my siblings and basically 50% of our peer group and its a technique that really works.

Pedals off, saddle low enough that it becomes a foot powered scooter. Do loops of your local park like that until its second nature to you. Then pop the pedals back on and you'll fly.

Then when it comes to cycling in traffic I'd try asking an experienced commuter for a week. Taking the right line at right time is far more important on a bike than a car so old dog new dog is a great way to pick up on this kinda roadcraft.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,246 ✭✭✭plodder

I've seen this crowd doing easy cycle tours based from Malahide Castle, and it seems they do basic training as well (link)

https://irishcentreforcycling.ie/cycle-training

https://irishcentreforcycling.ie/cycle-training-for-adults

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 338 ✭✭Budawanny

scopper wrote: »
    Hi all,

I am someone who never learned to cycle - I did a little once one day, but was unsteady and sort of never returned to it - and I've sort of made it my mission to try again this summer.

Does anybody know of any adult learning classes? I see they exist in London, NY, etc., but not here (the one in Howth never returns queries).

Also is it a bit nuts to try to get into this, say long term to commute, given how Dublin is set up, when I see cyclists on some roads my hand is in my mouth with how dangerous it can look.

Thanks!

lookup Bike Anjos on facebook. They were very recently helping people learn to cycle, in Dublin.
    https://www.facebook.com/bikeanjodublin/

good luck.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,208 ✭✭✭HivemindXX

ED E wrote: »
    It is.

If, like most people, you don't have a pedal spanner, I don't see why you can't just not use the pedals. Taking them off completely removes any temptation to try to use them but you haven't done anything to convince me it is necessary.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

If, like most people, you don't have a pedal spanner, I don't see why you can't just not use the pedals. Taking them off completely removes any temptation to try to use them but you haven't done anything to convince me it is necessary.

Your shins/calves.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,381 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

ED E wrote: »
    Your shins/calves.
    if they had to be on, they could stick a few thick socks over them or something.

Some bikes might be more suited to start with, like I wonder if a BMX is better.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 15,754 Mod ✭✭✭✭smacl

Yep. Suggesting it is necessary seems more than a bit odd, given that most of us learned to ride bikes with pedals on and managed just fine. Fair enough if it was a fixie, but for a normal bike its hardly an issue.

OP, maybe just find a quiet spot with no traffic and just go for it. A park in the early morning would be a good bet. As per my previous link, quozi's approach seems sensible and worked very well for him.

Advertisement