Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tourist Information Office Letterkenny

Options
  • 07-06-2017 12:55pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,783 ✭✭✭

Why is there no tourist information office actually IN the town? I get that the one out at the Port Bridge has parking etc but surely there should be one somewhere around the town centre. I've just spent some time talking to a couple from London who had arrived from Dublin Airport on the bus and naively thought there was one located close to the station

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,235 ✭✭✭✭Cee-Jay-Cee

99% of tourist traffic arrives from that end of the town. It used to be on the Derry side of the port bridge about 200m from its current location with zero parking facilities.

I dont see the need for an office in the town itself although a sub office during summer months would probably be beneficial.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,783 ✭✭✭donegal_man

Four hotels plus the bus station in the town proper and the only tourist information office is located near none of them. Definitely a case to be made for at least some presence in the town.

• Registered Users Posts: 46,103 ✭✭✭✭muffler

Hard to know where the best place for such an office would be but I would be leaning towards its current location.

Bus depot would be an idea but then its focused mainly on people arriving by bus. If there was an office there or further up the town then all the people who are driving or cycling (they would be by-passing the town anyhow) and heading further North etc would have to go into the town. Thats not helping them or the general traffic situation which is a mess at the best of times.

For tourists booked into the hotels then surely those hotels would be more than capable of providing their guests with all relevant info on events, day trips, beaches, play parks etc etc

Come to think of it is there not some basic tourist info supplied at the bus depot and on upper main street?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,252 ✭✭✭echo beach

There is already very poor provision in Donegal for tourists using public transport. The bus station doesn't have a park and ride facility or even a safe place to pick up and drop off.
    A car is must to access most attractions and the current location of the tourist office is an acknowledgment of that fact. It is also a statement that people, including tourists, aren't wanted in the town centre and everything possible is done to divert trade away from what should be the heart of the town.

• Registered Users Posts: 878 ✭✭✭cosanostra

Don't most tourists use the internet to research their holiday plans now!? Personally I think Tourist information offices are a thing of the past would the money spent running these offices not be better spent on online promotion of the area?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,023 ✭✭✭Donegal Storm

As with everything in Letterkenny it's designed and located solely with motorists in mind.

The bus station would be an obvious location, even if just a manned kiosk, all they'd need would be a map showing accommodation, food etc and some leaflets for nearby attractions

• Registered Users Posts: 293 ✭✭water-man

I wouldn't be too bothered about where it is but more concerned about opening times. From looking at the website it is closed on Sat and Sundays!!!! Surely that's when most tourist are visiting.

http://www.discoverireland.ie/Activities-Adventure/letterkenny-tourist-office/72371

• Registered Users Posts: 1,252 ✭✭✭echo beach

water-man wrote: »
    I wouldn't be too bothered about where it is but more concerned about opening times. From looking at the website it is closed on Sat and Sundays!!!! Surely that's when most tourist are visiting.

http://www.discoverireland.ie/Activities-Adventure/letterkenny-tourist-office/72371

Unbelievable!
    I imagine that a lot of tourists get here after 5pm as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 323 ✭✭mistermouse

The reason the Tourist office was placed where it is now was due to a land deal with Donegal Co Council when the new office was being built. At that time they did look at the building opposite Oatfields but access was an issue amongst other things, particularly for campers/caravans

The reason it also was ot at the port bridge even before then was that most tourists came past that point separating out to Ramelton or Dunfanaghy or Glenties directions. It also wasn't too far off the track for people heading to Inishowen, so for all those reasons it was useful for motoring tourists

The Chamber of Commerce used to be on Port Road and had information too. The office does more work than drop in visits but a sub office would be good in town. Agreed most research on line now but didn't when it was built and indeed the office does work year round on marketing etc. As far as I know it opens extended hours during the summer or at least used to.

Advertisement