Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

When to start looking at childcare options?..

Options
  • 07-06-2017 4:06pm
    Registered Users Posts: 46

I'm curious to know when do people start looking into childcare for when their maternity leave ends?
    I will be returning to work in January , baby will be 6 months old & I would be looking for a part time set up with childcare. I really don't know where to even begin with looking or how you even go about it?! :confused: Advice please !

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 850 ✭✭✭Cakerbaker

I went back when my guy was nearly 11 months and started looking when he was 8 months. I wanted to have it sorted so I wouldn't be worrying about it while also worrying about going back to work. I was going back in January so didn't want to be doing it in the Christmas period. There was availability in 2 out of 3 crèches I looked at. You may need to ask around to see what demand there is as I know from friends that some areas had problems getting space.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,462 ✭✭✭vandriver

It might have changed since my two were little,but with a very small baby ,the guidelines are 3 full time babies to one member of staff.(Age up to 1)
    Obviously,the crèche needs sets of 3 babies to make the numbers work.
    I'd try September ish to book a place.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,208 ✭✭✭Lady is a tramp

I'd my dude booked into creche, for six months old, before I even gave birth!

It's so hard to organise anything once they come along. If you can do it in advance - go for it!

• Registered Users Posts: 46 Blndbby

Thank you all for the advice. I will begin looking up places soon and keep them in mind.

Just out of a matter of interest.. How much are creches now!?

• Registered Users Posts: 850 ✭✭✭Cakerbaker

Blndbby wrote: »
    Thank you all for the advice. I will begin looking up places soon and keep them in mind.

Just out of a matter of interest.. How much are creches now!?

I'm paying €650 a month for 3 days a week. Some options were close to €1100 for 5 days. I did find one that was cheaper but I didn't like it, it just didn't seem as professionally run as some others. I'm in north Wicklow (pretty much a Dublin suburb) to give context.

It may also be worth looking at childminders who are registered with your county childcare committee. There are some very professional ones who have what are similar to mini crèches at home (they can only have a certain number of kids). I found one I loved but she didn't have space for one of the days I needed.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,449 ✭✭✭✭pwurple

I'd make sure you do your legwork properly. Give yourself some time to do that. It really depends on supply and demand in your area on how soon you need to book a place, but don't leave it to the last minute.

There are several options, childminder, nanny, au pair, cr?che.

I went back to work when my eldest was 5 months old (finished work 2 weeks before due date, and she was 2 weeks overdue = 1 month of mat leave burnt). I found it difficult to find any place that would take a baby that young, loads had age limits.

When visiting creches or childminders, a good tip I got was to ask that it's ok with them that you can call over unexpectedly, to take a look. There was one place I went, where they wanted you to make a time arrangement, and you could only see one room, not the whole cr?che. Very weird, like they were hiding something (years later there was an unfavourable inspection). And on another occasion with a childminder, I visited unannounced and there was a guy sitting in the kitchen smoking. The minder said, "oh yeah, he's my neighbour. We have an open door house here, anyone can call in".

Very happy with the place we picked in the end, but yes, just do your checking, so you are happy with your decision.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,928 ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

As early as possible if you're in a busy area. I started looking when my son was 3 months old for a start when he was 8 months and that was late for some of the creches I viewed!

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

I started looking before baby was born but I was looking in an area of high demand.

Advertisement