Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Should I ask for more tasks?

• 07-06-2017 4:19pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1

Hi all, I am a secretary in a financial institution in Dublin City. I provide secretarial services for 5 bankers. Some of the secretaries in my department are working off their feet but my work load is quite quiet. I pick up some tasks for the other secretaries but I feel bad twiddling my thumbs half the time.

Should I mention it to the Secretarial Manager that I am able to pick up more work? Maybe if something needs to be done remotely etc?
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,736 ✭✭✭endofrainbow

I'd be very careful as to how I go about this. Phrase it in such a way that there are times when your workload is light you could be of assistance to the other secretaries, you'd be more than willing to help. But you need to clarify that it would only be to help out and that your own tasks take priority.

• Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭MadamRazz

Sure why not. It shows that you're willing to work and not lazy. Taking some tasks off the other secretaries is really really good of you. So many people wouldnt bother to help. It would also be a chance for you to learn something new.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,589 ✭✭✭DoozerT6

I'd be very careful as to how I go about this. Phrase it in such a way that there are times when your workload is light you could be of assistance to the other secretaries, you'd be more than willing to help. But you need to clarify that it would only be to help out and that your own tasks take priority.

Yes, be very careful about leaving your employer with the impression that your workload is so light that you have plenty of time on your hands - the offer to take on some of your co-workers workload is admirable, but an employer may be left thinking, well, if she has that much downtime to start with, is she really needed at all, or would a part-time position be more financially sensible?...

Do a quick recce with your colleagues: is there something they all do daily that you could do instead, that would a) fill the downtime during your day, and b) free up your busier colleagues to catch up on something else they need to do? Ask your colleagues first if it would be helpful to them if you took over this duty, and if they would support you tactfully approaching management about it.

Be mindful, however that if your own workload increases substantially in the future, that you could be stuck doing this Other Job too, unless you can agree that your colleagues will 'take back', without complaint, whatever the work was that they originally did, before you took it over.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,686 ✭✭✭✭Zubeneschamali

Helping the other secretaries is nice of you, but if this is a regular situation, I think telling your manager is a better bet - then everyone knows what tasks you are doing.

You do not want to be told in a review that the others do far more than you if you are actually doing some of their work.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,563 ✭✭✭stateofflux

i would not feel bad. you are lucky. it could come back to bite you if you mention it to anyone.

the art of looking busy is a skill in itself

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,134 ✭✭✭Lux23

i would not feel bad. you are lucky. it could come back to bite you if you mention it to anyone.

the art of looking busy is a skill in itself

That might be what the other secretaries are doing. Plus if you're fairly new to the job maybe you aren't getting as many tasks as you might once you have more experience in the role.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,433 ✭✭✭Needs Must

Never ask for more work unless you're getting paid for it. Work for cheap and you will never be idle.

Advertisement