Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Hit by uninsured driver

Options
  • 07-06-2017 5:16pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3

Would greatly appreciate some advice here. I was rear ended by an uninsured driver two weeks ago. He kind of more rolled into me at lights, no damage to either car and at the time I felt ok so we didn't swap details or contact guards but I got his car reg.

Fast forward two weeks and my neck and back very sore. I contacted my own insurance and they have found out that the driver is uninsured.

Where do I go from here? Can I put a personal injuries claim against him?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 25,457 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

Alex130308 wrote: »
    I contacted my own insurance and they have found out that the driver is uninsured.

How do they know he wasn't insured? All you say you got was his registration number.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,152 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

Your neck is sore. Everyone gets that for no reason, could have slept wrong.
    Hardly related to a car rolling into you. You'd have more impact driving along a bumpy road.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,293 ✭✭✭Fuzzy Clam

2 week later you have a sore neck and back????

Get a new mattress.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 Alex130308

No I am in pain since day 3 post accident. If driver is uninsured can I put in a personal injuries claim against him or do am I best to do through my own insurance? I lose my NCB if I do

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,464 ✭✭✭Ultimate Seduction

No damage to either car but you damaged your neck? A slight tip would damage a bumber so he must of literally rolled in to you.

Out for a fast buck, I wish nothing but bad luck for you. Insurance fraud is what your doing.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,950 ✭✭✭0ph0rce0

Man if i were you I'd quit driving, Imagine if you hit a pothole? You'd probably be killed.

Funny how almost all of these ridiculous PI claim threads are by newly opened accounts...

• Registered Users Posts: 12,917 ✭✭✭✭Toyotafanboi

Nobody here has inspected the cars, or the OP for that matter. Let's focus on constructive, non accusatory responses or please don't post in this thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,302 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

Fast forward two weeks and my neck and back very sore.
    No I am in pain since day 3 post accident.
    When did you goto your doctor about said sore neck? If you left it until now, it may go against you.

Anyway, goto www.mibi.ie and see if they can help. Was the other person a foreign national? if they were, and they jump ship, it may drag on a bit longer (as in, months).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,060 ✭✭✭Sue Pa Key Pa

Alex130308 wrote:
    No I am in pain since day 3 post accident. If driver is uninsured can I put in a personal injuries claim against him or do am I best to do through my own insurance? I lose my NCB if I do

You cannot put an injury claim through your own insurance. You also need to establish if he was uninsured. Your own insurer wouldn't know that, contact the MIBI

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3 Alex130308

No he was Irish and I am the foreign national !!
    Does he not have to pay anything then because he was uninsured? I looked at that website just now. Seems unfair he gets away with it.
    I went to Doctor on day 5 after accident

Nobody here has inspected the cars, or the OP for that matter. Let's focus on constructive, non accusatory responses or please don't post in this thread.

The OP inspected the cars and stated that there was no damage to either and that the other car just rolled in to him.

Explaining to the OP that this is fraud is construtive, sound advice.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,293 ✭✭✭Fuzzy Clam

No details were exchanged except that the op took note of the number plate. How does the op know that the driver has no insurance????
    I can drive any car insured regardless of the number plate.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,302 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

Fuzzy Clam wrote: »
    No details were exchanged except that the op took note of the number plate. How does the op know that the driver has no insurance????
    As per the OP, their insurance found that there was no insurance linked to that car. The small print of any "drive any car" policy that I was on stated that I could drive a car that was insured by someone else.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,060 ✭✭✭Sue Pa Key Pa

Can you let us know why you think he is uninsured?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,809 ✭✭✭Hector Savage

compensation culture is killing this country.

Ever wonder why premiums are near un ****ing affordable now ?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,615 ✭✭✭grogi

Fuzzy Clam wrote: »
    I can drive any car insured regardless of the number plate.

What's more, what is stopping anyone from noting down a reg at the parking and claiming that they rolled into back of their car? "No damage was visible at the moment of the impact, but now my back is soooo sore".

• Registered Users Posts: 4,267 ✭✭✭mcgovern

the_syco wrote: »
    As per the OP, their insurance found that there was no insurance linked to that car. The small print of any "drive any car" policy that I was on stated that I could drive a car that was insured by someone else.

This is not the case with all insurance policies though, I've confirmed it with my insurance company before that the other vehicle didn't need to be insured by someone else.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,615 ✭✭✭grogi

Fast forward two weeks and my neck and back very sore. I contacted my own insurance and they have found out that the driver is uninsured.

Take some Ibuprofen.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,719 ✭✭✭JaMarcusHustle

What has your Doctor said? Has he diagnosed you with a physical injury related to the accident?

• Advertisement

What has your Doctor said? Has he diagnosed you with a physical injury related to the accident?

Of course he has/will.

Neck and back pain can't really be proven, that's why most injury claims are for neck and back.

Whiplash is real but I'm afraid it takes a bit more force. It's amazing how everyone that drives bumper cars in the carnival doesn't get long term injuries..

• Registered Users Posts: 2,664 ✭✭✭Doyler92

Do you have any proof? Surely you will need cctv or something this long after the incident?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 87 ✭✭iguot

Saw a car roll back into a car the other day at about 1mph, yer one in the car opened the door, fell out of the car and starting rolling on the ground roaring, holding her neck.

African woman.

I couldn't believe it.

Even if I was broke up, I doubt id do what she did.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,648 ✭✭✭✭beauf

no doubt there is a lot fraud with claims especially whiplash.

But You don't need to damage the car to get whiplash, or indeed a big impact to get a back or neck injury..

• Registered Users Posts: 4,400 ✭✭✭lukesmom

It's the likes of you we have to thank for our premiums being so high grrrrrr

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,648 ✭✭✭✭beauf

MIBI chief David Fitzgerald said drivers with no insurance are partly to blame for a rise in premiums.

He explained: “On average the MIBI pays out approximately €60 million a year for claims of this nature.

“We estimate that accounts for €35 within the cost of the average annual motor insurance premium.

I'm guessing your premium didn't go up just by €35 ;)

Then again they aren't (or very reluctantly) insuring cars over 10yrs old. Its a bad time to buy a older cars, especially premium ones if you want to save money.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

I see 3 options on what is happening here:

1. Op is a troll and he knows situation with insurance these days and came for a good laugh.

2. Op only found out now, that getting very minor accident is like getting winning lotto number and trying to find out if he can still use it to get those winnings.

3. Op is just new to whole insurance fraud and trying to get some knowladge on how its done properly for present and future ventures.

The faster government sorts out this claim payout bull****, the better.

Advertisement