Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Truckers...

Options
  • 07-06-2017 5:32pm
    Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭

oq4ESeX.png

https://www.facebook.com/angardasiochana/photos/a.10155033564458001.1073742859.167613868000/10155033564568001/?type=1&theater
    Garda? are appealing to all road users in particular haulage companies and truck drivers, that altering any vehicle like this is highly dangerous and illegal.
    Garda? encountered this truck driving in Dublin recently. Whilst the driver thought ?It looks cool? this poses a serious risk to cyclists, pedestrians and all other road users. The driver of the truck was required to remove theses before continuing.
    Anyone who encounters a modified truck should report the incident to Garda?.
    The possible offences under consideration are
    1: Section 13 ?Endangerment? in Non-Fatal Offences Against the Person Act 1997
    2: Road Traffic (Construction, Equipment and Use of Vehicles) Regulations, 1963
    (A vehicle first registered on or after the 1st day of July, 1964 shall not have any inessential object in a position where it is likely to strike any person involved in a collision with the vehicle, unless injury is not likely to be caused by reason of the projection of the object.)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,833 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

Wasn't it the truckers representative in front of a dail committee recently crying how hard it is for them because of cyclists and how they're the actual danger?

• Registered Users Posts: 36,131 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

Pieces of plastic.. you'd be in contact with truck if you were to make contact with them.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,089 ✭✭✭henryporter

I think we're getting to the point where any driver of a vehicle must be made cycle for a period of time as part of their licensing in order to obtain some minute understanding of what it's like to be one - this sort of crap would not be tolerated in countries like Holland, Denmark or Germany. The Gardai should have thrown the book at the guy instead of the slap on the wrists he got. As for looking cool - was the driver 14?

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 76,430 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

Pieces of plastic.. you'd be in contact with truck if you were to make contact with them.
    Imagine the terror if someone with those on passed and started cutting you up. It could panic cyclists (and indeed other road users) into doing something potentially resulting in a serious incident.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,615 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

that is an incredibly trivial statement. you'd be touching the truck if you were touching part of the truck.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,256 ✭✭✭Kaisr Sose

Are they plastic?

Looks more like something from the Colosseum in Rome back in Roman times aka Ben Hur! What next...rotating machetes?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,605 ✭✭✭gctest50

You'd want to stay well away from trucks anyway, even a small ( empty ! ) one will obliterate a few cars easily

- so won't do you much good

• Registered Users Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭Eamonnator

Kaisr Sose wrote: »
    Are they plastic?

Looks more like something from the Colosseum in Rome back in Roman times aka Ben Hur! What next...rotating machetes?

I'd say they are plastic, something like these:

http://www.ebay.ie/itm/10-Wheel-Lugnut-Chrome-Plastic-33mm-Push-On-Spike-Nut-Covers-Caps-33-mm-/400904411150?hash=item5d57c3d80e:g:S~UAAOSwKtlWsQG7

• Registered Users Posts: 3,256 ✭✭✭Kaisr Sose

Eamonnator wrote: »

They are described as:

– Quality Replacement Nut Covers
    – Adds Beauty and Style To Applicable Installations

If this is beauty and style, I would hate to see ugly and unstylish!

A stupid addition to any vehicle but fools are easily parted with their money!

• Registered Users Posts: 32,381 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

if a truck was to brush past me I would rather the smooth side of the body scrape me horizontally, than those mad yokes rotating at high speed. Which would you prefer? maybe those, sure they are only plastic after all -the side of the truck might be made from nasty old metal, sure what harm could plastic possibly do besides tickle you :rolleyes:

If people want to let people know what they are, a bumper sticker saying "I'm a prize gobshite" "I'm trying to make up for my small cock" is cheaper, easier to fit, and more effective at getting the message across.
    I think we're getting to the point where any driver of a vehicle must be made cycle for a period of time as part of their licensing in order to obtain some minute understanding of what it's like to be one
    someone posted this a few weeks back.

http://www.truckandbusaccidentlawyers.com/2017/05/11/spiked-wheel-ornaments-safety-hazard/
    As I previously discussed in a prior blog post, nearly half of bicyclists and one quarter of pedestrians who are killed by a large truck first impact the side of the truck. It is easy to see the increased danger of side impacts if the bicyclist, motorcyclist, or pedestrian makes contact with a wheel’s spikes.

Concerns about the actual danger caused by the ornamental spikes may be compounded by the perceptions of other drivers, including those who are involved in crashes with tractor trailers. In a 2012 Louisiana case involving a car and a tractor-trailer, plaintiff described the tractor-trailer as having “spikes on the outer front wheel hubs.” These wheel ornaments may be distracting and intimidating to other drivers.

Hawaii recently passed legislation regulating tire wheel spikes. The statute bans “dangerous wheels”– including “any wheel, wheel cover, hubcap, lug nut cover or cap, prong, or any ornamentation affixed to any of the aforementioned items that extends at least four inches beyond the portion of the wheel rim that extends furthest away from the vehicle and that may cause injury or property damage by minimal contact with a person or object.” Some trucking companies ban the use of the ornamental wheel spikes to avoid the perception of aggressiveness or intimidation and to foster an image of focusing on courteous and safe driving.

http://www.starweekly.com.au/news/outcry-over-deadly-truck-spikes/
    Victoria Police spokeswoman Amelia Penhall said anyone who sees any similar modifications should report it to their local police station.

“A person using spiked wheel nut covers can be issued an infringement for $379 for use of a vehicle that is unsafe or has been modified or does not comply with the Standards for Registration.”

VicRoads regulatory services director Eric Henderson said vehicles can not be fitted with any protruding object that is likely to increase the risk of bodily injury.

The spiked wheel nuts may also increase the width of the truck beyond its legal maximum of 2.5 metres.

Mr Henderson said spiked wheel nuts have been available across Australia for many years, but their use on heavy vehicles appears to be relatively isolated.

spikes.jpg

Morons defending them in that link also not mentioning the fact they are rotating, possibly genuinely that thick, not surprising with their evident mental age.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,054 ✭✭✭✭neris

They're called tangs. Also known as twats

Was out walking with my 3 year old earlier , she was on her little bike.... no it's not a horror story we were safely on the footpath ... but a truck coming behind us up to a roundabout was playing a recording over a hailer it was turning left and not to undertake. I'd not seen that before. Maybe the driver had a few close calls himself.

Not in Dublin these days so maybe thats a more common sight there :confused:

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 76,430 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 6,848 Mod ✭✭✭✭eeeee

They do look cool to be fair

*jk

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,744 ✭✭✭diomed

They look like something a young boy would think is cool to be fair.

Advertisement