Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

WI-FI camera for home security or alternative option

Options
  • 07-06-2017 5:43pm
    Registered Users Posts: 508 ✭✭✭

Hello there. I would like to have a live camera setup in my living room and was thinking about a WI-FI camera. There are so many options out there I was wondering which would be the best value.

Now I do have access to a DEXXA USB web camera from 10 years ago but it is not compatible with Windows 8.1 or 10. Even if it was would a standard web camera be any good for security purposes? I was thinking maybe have a service like Periscope running on my laptop or desktop computer.

Contents insurance is another option but cost would be about 30 euro a month so thats 360 a year. I could get a NEST camera for 200!

Comments

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 24,789 Mod ✭✭✭✭KoolKid

Any good IP camera will do the job if its just for live viewing.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,952 ✭✭✭✭Stoner

DarraghR wrote:
    Contents insurance is another option but cost would be about 30 euro a month so thats 360 a year. I could get a NEST camera for 200!

Hi look at the canary cameras I have one they are fantastic and mine has always connected.

I get a basic 24 hours of basic cloud​ coverage for free.

It has a 90Db siren, temp and air sampling and a movement sensor

It's not IFTTT compliant, possibly by choice. It's covered on the home automation iot forum.

The ring camera the new one, not the doorbell I think one device is 3 bucks a week. I've the doorbell and when I call it about 15 percent of the time it can't connect .

• Registered Users Posts: 508 ✭✭✭DarraghR

Interesting. I never heard of Canary but will do some research.

How much should I be spending. Personally I dont want to have a subscription service. Its just for a medium sized living room.

DarraghR wrote:
    How much should I be spending. Personally I dont want to have a subscription service. Its just for a medium sized living room.

I think I paid 140 euro for my canary camera.

You can pay a lot more or a bit less. Not sure if any of the ones below that price are great on wifi, wired yes. I've a wired one up for two years zero downtime.

I pay nothing for the basic 24 hours cloud usage.

BTW the use BK on the home automation forum has his set up in a living room he'll full you in.

It has Night vision too. It's an internal camera though

• Advertisement

What about using an action camera with a live feed on Periscope? I am looking to buy one for holidays and festivals anyway. Can someone please suggest a retailer in Dublin that stock action cameras that are not GoXtreme, Kaiser Baas and GoPro

DarraghR wrote:
    What about using an action camera with a live feed on Periscope? I am looking to buy one for holidays and festivals anyway. Can someone please suggest a retailer in Dublin that stock action cameras that are not GoXtreme, Kaiser Baas and GoPro

Lots of old phones being used as CCTV

• Registered Users Posts: 11 iamfahad82

HIKVISION DS-2CD2452F-IW is good wireless ip cameras with 10-metre night vision

I hear if I connect a micro hdmi - USB then I can use my action camera as a webcam and security camera?

Anyone know where I might find a micro HDMI to USB? Looked everywhere online

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,050 ✭✭✭wait4me

If you are prepared to wait for delivery, you will probably find them on some of the chinese sites - tmart.com, dealextreme or dx.com

None available on both of those sites. Never found it so hard to find a cable before

Advertisement