Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Is this Leaf a decent purchase?

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,039 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

It's worth noting I got. 141 SVE for less in March in scotland.
    It was a private sale though. You also won't get the ?1000 Nissan deposit offer as you have to be uk resident to get it.

I think you can match that spec here for same or less money.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,019 ✭✭✭ei9go

Is there such a thing as an ex flex car?

You definitely cannot buy out the battery lease on a Zoe and both are RCI as far as I know.

Check the status before you buy.

If you do a car check it comes up as a flex car.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,034 ✭✭✭goz83

I agree with @kceire. I also bought a 2014 (141) UK Tekna (SVE) back in March and it was via a main Nissan dealer. Car was just under £11k. I was told the warranty carries over. It also has about 10k less miles on it and it has the 6.6OBC (worth about £1k as option). I think you will do better

Maybe consider this one. It has the 6.6 OBC and as it's a private sale, there will be room to negotiate.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,190 ✭✭✭quenching

Thanks for the replies, all advice always welcome. I'm struggling to see anything that offers much better value, given that I don't want a private sale, I want the security of buying from a main dealer, even if the Nissan Cared4 warranty doesn't apply here (and the dealer was very sure about this). I'm also not keen on the idea of my first EV journey being from the wilds of Scotland. This one is about 50 miles from Liverpool ferry port and that distance is fine with me.

My understanding is that Nissan does indeed allow owners (and dealers) to buy out the battery lease, the car will always show as Flex car as that's what it was sold as and its original model designation. I will however double check this with the dealer, just in case he got his wires crossed.

This car is priced at £8500, I've agreed a small discount, and with travel costs included I should have it back in Ireland for €10k

The closest 141 Acenta or SV car I can find in Ireland is this one in the Charles Hurst Dublin branch, but I don't want a white one:
    http://www.usedirectireland.ie/used-cars/6987990-nissan-leaf-acenta-127/

I'd be most grateful if anyone can point me in the direction of anything better value. BTW, the Tekna or SVE grade don't interest me as I really don't want a leather interior, and the 6.6kw option isn't really that important to me, the car will be charged overnight and very occasionally at a rapid charger if needed, luckily there's one a short distance from my house.

• Registered Users Posts: 65,318 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

I see where you are coming from, quenching and I fully agree with the 6.6kW charger option. I wouldn't have paid £100 for it (even though it's a £900 option when new)

Unless you plan to use any of those useless slow chargers regularly, there's no point to the 6.6kW charger.

What you can do is try and use it as a bargaining chip with the dealer. Giving out that it's a big drawback to only have 3.3kW charging and try get a bit more money off that way :D Or try having them throw in a granny charger, I reckon that could save you one day!

Keep us posted & good luck buying your EV!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,941 ✭✭✭Bigus

Nice find. That's a lot of cheap nearly new EV motoring for very little money.

unkel wrote: »
    I see where you are coming from, quenching and I fully agree with the 6.6kW charger option. I wouldn't have paid £100 for it (even though it's a £900 option when new)

Unless you plan to use any of those useless slow chargers regularly, there's no point to the 6.6kW charger.

What you can do is try and use it as a bargaining chip with the dealer. Giving out that it's a big drawback to only have 3.3kW charging and try get a bit more money off that way :D Or try having them throw in a granny charger, I reckon that could save you one day!

Cheers, granny cable is included and I think I've pushed as much as I can on price. It's also got the pointless, but sparkley, solar panel on the rear spoiler.
    Bigus wrote: »

Thanks, I had seen that but to me it appears to be a base model car with Sat Nav. So, on the positive side it's a year newer with less mileage, but €1k dearer and the wrong model, and I do want the extras of the Acenta/SV model. Not fussy really, am I?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,879 ✭✭✭Soarer

You're dead right to be fussy. You're dropping a lot of money on a car, you'd want it to be right.

If I were you, I'd ring the dealer back and say you've found one locally for €1000 less or whatever. Then butter him up by saying you'd prefer his one, but money's money, and can he do a little better on the price. Leave him sit on it for an hour if needs be. You can still buy it if he doesn't budge on price, and all you've lost is a little bit of pride. And that's overrated anyway!

Soarer wrote: »
    You're dead right to be fussy. You're dropping a lot of money on a car, you'd want it to be right.

If I were you, I'd ring the dealer back and say you've found one locally for €1000 less or whatever. Then butter him up by saying you'd prefer his one, but money's money, and can he do a little better on the price. Leave him sit on it for an hour if needs be. You can still buy it if he doesn't budge on price, and all you've lost is a little bit of pride. And that's overrated anyway!

Good advice, I've gone to a lot more trouble for a lot less money, all they can do is say no. I'm in no rush and there's always more cars.

• Advertisement

Negotiation is the easiest money you'll ever make. Highly underrated :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,795 ✭✭✭samih

quenching wrote: »

Cheers, granny cable is included and I think I've pushed as much as I can on price. It's also got the pointless, but sparkley, solar panel on the rear spoiler.
    Bigus wrote: »

Thanks, I had seen that but to me it appears to be a base model car with Sat Nav. So, on the positive side it's a year newer with less mileage, but €1k dearer and the wrong model, and I do want the extras of the Acenta/SV model. Not fussy really, am I?
    You are right, it's an XE and it does't actually have a sat nav so why are the advertising it as such I don't know...

• Registered Users Posts: 6,638 ✭✭✭zilog_jones

When buying used, you'll be paying for your home charger installation anyway so have the option of getting a 32A charger installed - though it might not be of great benefit right now depending on driving habits.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,914 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

samih wrote: »
    You are right, it's an XE and it does't actually have a sat nav so why are the advertising it as such I don't know...
    It has a satnav, just not the same integrated one that the higher trim ones have.

It looks awful. Like someone chopped out part of the dash and stuck in a garmin.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,941 ✭✭✭Bigus

samih wrote: »

There's a picture of the built in sat nav in the advert.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,795 ✭✭✭samih

I see it now, my bad. Didn't scroll to the last photo. The unit seems pretty well integrated, looks factory. I always thought that the XE sat nav upgrade would in reality be the unit from SV.

• Registered Users Posts: 98 ✭✭sidekick

Is this Leaf good value? I'm pleased with the trade-in value I've been offered for my ICE car but unsure if this is good value. What do I need to check with the dealer? Not sure about battery, 24 or 30KWH, 3.3 or 6.6. Need to also ask if granny cable is included. Thoughts, advice please?

http://www.carzone.ie/used-cars/nissan/leaf/used-2015-151-nissan-leaf-acenta-low-dublin-fpa-4947926891239366652

• Registered Users Posts: 12,116 ✭✭✭✭KCross

sidekick wrote: »
    Is this Leaf good value? I'm pleased with the trade-in value I've been offered for my ICE car but unsure if this is good value. What do I need to check with the dealer? Not sure about battery, 24 or 30KWH, 3.3 or 6.6. Need to also ask if granny cable is included. Thoughts, advice please?

http://www.carzone.ie/used-cars/nissan/leaf/used-2015-151-nissan-leaf-acenta-low-dublin-fpa-4947926891239366652

Its a 24kWh battery as the 30kWh didn't come out until 161.
    And its almost certainly a 3.3kW charger if they haven't stated it.

Looking at the boot pic they only show one cable bag so I'd imagine thats the type 2 cable so it probably doesn't have a granny cable. You can survive without that as long as you get the home charge point installed asap.

There are 2 prices on the ad... a cash price and a trade-in price.... I presume you are paying 17k? Can you clarify.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,879 ✭✭✭Soarer

You won't have to worry about the battery anyway. It's the newer version which suffer from very little/no degradation.
    I'm not 100% sure on the capacity, but I don't think the 30kWh battery was available in 2015.
    As for the OBC, you'll have to check on the dash. It'll have two times for100% charge if it has the 6.6. I'd wager she doesn't though.

If you're paying 17k, it's not a good deal. You could pickup a 161 30kw 6.6 in the uk for that sort of money. Lovely colour though :D

• Advertisement

Thanks for the replies and guidance. As I'm trading in (which I need to do), the price is €16995, but I'm pleased with the trade-in offer on my current car and it seems there is a more room for negotiation. Maybe inclusion of a granny cable too.

Thanks for the replies and guidance. As I'm trading in (which I need to do), the price is €16995, but I'm pleased with the trade-in offer on my current car and it seems there is a more room for negotiation. Maybe inclusion of a granny cable too.

Granny cable is already in the Nissan bag in the boot.

kceire wrote: »
    Granny cable is already in the Nissan bag in the boot.

In uk models.

And as this model is a UK import, the granny cable should be included. Has inclusion of a granny cable always been the case or something that Nissan UK has just done recently?

goz83 wrote: »
    In uk models.

That bag in the picture is standard issue with the granny cable. Hence me assuming the cable is in the bag.

And as this model is a UK import, the granny cable should be included. Has inclusion of a granny cable always been the case or something that Nissan UK has just done recently?

I got the granny cable and a 32a public charging cable in my 2014 UK model.

So, just to update, I bought the original car listed from Holdcroft Nissan in Northwich, who were a pleasure to deal with:

2014 Leaf Acenta
    Magnetic Red
    62k km
    1 owner
    3.3kw charging
    Granny cable
    Silly solar trickle charger thingy on rear spoiler.

Total cost including travel (3 flights as I brought kids with me for a day out) was €9910. I managed only £110 off the asking price of £8500 sterling but did get 4 brand new tyres, serviced with new brake pads and discs on the front (they were outside the range for the Cared4 checks), and proper Leaf mats front and back. I couldn't find one here for a similar price, the closest was from the Charles Hurst Dublin franchise but it would have needed tyres, had higher mileage, was the wrong colour, and was €600 dearer.

The car was originally a Flex car but the Nissan dealer bought out the battery lease, it shows as a separate item on the sales invoice. The HPI check showed 2 items of finance "noted" through RCI, they confirmed that 1 was for the battery and the other for the chassis, both had been cleared and they had "no interest" in the car. The model designation was "Acenta Flex" on the V5C and the VRT system didn't list it so I had to wait a day for them to check with Revenue but it was still €0.

I got a 32A Type1 to Type 2 cable from http://evonestop.co.uk, €147 and was delivered the next day, and a 32A Rolec charge point from http://midselec.co.uk, €298, which took a week via AddressPal. I got 32A to cover future needs and the was next to nothing in the price difference. The electrician fitted it yesterday at a cost of €220 including materials, this took a bit longer that expected due to wall construction so I'm happy with that. ESB sent out the eCars card before I got the car and this works fine for the rapid charger 10 minutes from my house but most charging will be at home.

LED bulbs for DLR and sidelights waiting to be fitted, along with suspension strut rubber caps mentioned somewhere else to alleviate potential problems with water draining directly onto the strut in the engine bay.

Carwings registration is being obstinate but Nissan customer care are working on it, slowly though, but I don't think I'm missing too much at the moment.

I cannot get the ESB eCars app to launch on my Android phone though, or 2 others I've tried (same model), it just crashes after about 5 seconds, every time, any suggestions welcome.

I'm avoiding getting Leaf Spy as I can't do anything about whatever it says anyway :D

Lovely car to drive and everyone seems happy with it. Now have 3 cars though so 1 has to go at some stage, do I sell an '05 Toyota Prius or an '84 Mercedes 190E?

Thanks to all for their advice.

Well wear!

Get a dongle for the car and download the free leafspy lite. It's good to have it and the dongle will be less than 15 quid delivered. I have a link to the one I bought in my Bargain Leaf thread...still on page 1.

The LEDS are very easy to install in the side and reg. Make sure the car is switched off for a good couple of minutes before changing bulbs if you want to avoid blowing a fuse. Ideally disconnect battery, but I didn't bother.

For the side, pop the hood, unscrew the large cap at the back of the headlight and the first bulb holder you see jutting out is the right one. Twist it to the side and pull the holder out. Replace crappy bulbs with LEDs. Get into car, turn on. Wait a few moments and then turn on side lights. Check that both work. If one light does not work, check the rear lights. They both should be on. If one is off, you've blown a fuse. If they are on, you're OK. Turn off car...remove the LED(s) that didn't turn on and reverse polarity. Try again...should be both on. Fix connectors and caps into place.

Reg lights. Lay down at rear of car. The reg lights unclip at one side and you pull out. Twist connector and replace bulbs. Check the same way as the side lights. When working, reconnect.

DRLs. These are a bit harder. I had Atlas do mine, but only because I can't get at them due to back problem. Simply remove a plastic pawl clip from the wheel arch liner and pull the wheel arch liner toward you. You now have access to the DRL. Remove the BOTTOM bulb....the other one is the fog. The bulb holder twists out like the rest of them. Turning the wheel into the arch will give you more room either side.

Good Luck

goz83 wrote: »
    Well wear!

Get a dongle for the car and download the free leafspy lite. It's good to have it and the dongle will be less than 15 quid delivered. I have a link to the one I bought in my Bargain Leaf thread...still on page 1.

The LEDS are very easy to install in the side and reg. Make sure the car is switched off for a good couple of minutes before changing bulbs if you want to avoid blowing a fuse. Ideally disconnect battery, but I didn't bother.

For the side, pop the hood, unscrew the large cap at the back of the headlight and the first bulb holder you see jutting out is the right one. Twist it to the side and pull the holder out. Replace crappy bulbs with LEDs. Get into car, turn on. Wait a few moments and then turn on side lights. Check that both work. If one light does not work, check the rear lights. They both should be on. If one is off, you've blown a fuse. If they are on, you're OK. Turn off car...remove the LED(s) that didn't turn on and reverse polarity. Try again...should be both on. Fix connectors and caps into place.

Reg lights. Lay down at rear of car. The reg lights unclip at one side and you pull out. Twist connector and replace bulbs. Check the same way as the side lights. When working, reconnect.

DRLs. These are a bit harder. I had Atlas do mine, but only because I can't get at them due to back problem. Simply remove a plastic pawl clip from the wheel arch liner and pull the wheel arch liner toward you. You now have access to the DRL. Remove the BOTTOM bulb....the other one is the fog. The bulb holder twists out like the rest of them. Turning the wheel into the arch will give you more room either side.

Good Luck

Thanks for the light info, planning on changing them tomorrow.

• Advertisement

Well wear!

I'm surprised that you needed new front discs after just 62k km (38k miles). Did you ask / get any explanation for that? Saw a clip of a Tesla model S with 400k km and its original discs were about half worn. And the Tesla is a very heavy performance car. I wouldn't expect ever to have to change discs on any EV...

Advertisement