Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

To aply or not apply.....that is the question....?

Options
  • 07-06-2017 7:28pm
    Registered Users Posts: 721 ✭✭✭

A colleague saw a job advertised that she would like to apply for (it being a sort of promotion from where she presently is) but is wondering if it is worth the hassle and heartache! You see she would not have much faith in the interview panel (its usually made up of the same two or three people with one being as bad as the next!) Cv and experience means nothing to the said trio and my colleague encountered the aforementioned at an interview a few years ago.She does not want similar heartache again after last time but does not think the outcome will be any different!.One person ,who is nearly always on the panel,runs the show and is probably responsible for 75% of the positions filled in a certain part of the country! The "Untouchable One" has destroyed many teachers careers spanning a period of some 30+ years now! Is it worth her applying? Personally I told her not to bother,leave it another few years,the "Untouchable One" will not be around forever!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,517 ✭✭✭✭TheDriver

If you're not in, you can't win. I don't see how theres anything to loose in reality.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,751 ✭✭✭mirrorwall14

Nothing to lose. Apply. Plenty of us about who got jobs they didn't expect

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,812 ✭✭✭✭evolving_doors

ethical wrote: »
    A colleague saw a job advertised that she would like to apply for (it being a sort of promotion from where she presently is) but is wondering if it is worth the hassle and heartache! You see she would not have much faith in the interview panel (its usually made up of the same two or three people with one being as bad as the next!) Cv and experience means nothing to the said trio and my colleague encountered the aforementioned at an interview a few years ago.She does not want similar heartache again after last time but does not think the outcome will be any different!.One person ,who is nearly always on the panel,runs the show and is probably responsible for 75% of the positions filled in a certain part of the country! The "Untouchable One" has destroyed many teachers careers spanning a period of some 30+ years now! Is it worth her applying? Personally I told her not to bother,leave it another few years,the "Untouchable One" will not be around forever!

The person should apply anyway to make an impression on the other panelists (If the "untouchable one" isn't going to be around much longer). At least then that'll stand to her in the future, compared to say a new applicant who is not familiar with the interview process).

Who knows though, the shoe-in who's earmarked for the job might go elsewhere or come to an untimely end in some comical and bizzare fashion!

It'll kind of force the issue too if there's a bit of favouritism going on, if the other panelists clearly see that your colleague is the best person then they may come to their senses and sing their praises to other potential employers.

Advertisement