Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Shimano announce Ultegra R8000 series

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,615 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

would i be right in thinking it's got a bit of a marmite look to it?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,124 ✭✭✭Unknown Soldier

would i be right in thinking it's got a bit of a marmite look to it?

Cycling is the new golf etc, you can now have an 11-34.

The purists will probably be alarmed, but its good marketing, and probably sales.

Hail to the king, baby! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,123 ✭✭✭daragh_

I'm going to need a new Frame and Wheels to go with that.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,863 ✭✭✭✭crosstownk

At least it looks 'a bit' like the 6800 - enough that the Mrs. will never spot the difference. :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,422 ✭✭✭Sarz91

Wonder when this will be available. Dura ace hydro (9120) was announced this time last year and isn't available yet as far as I can tell.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,761 ✭✭✭✭Inquitus

• Registered Users Posts: 12,235 ✭✭✭✭Cee-Jay-Cee

What happened 6900?

I don't like the look of the crankset. The crank arms are too thick and don't blend nicely with the 4 arms on the spider.

I think I'll stick with my 6800 for the time being.

• Registered Users Posts: 880 ✭✭✭mamax

Any prices ?

• Registered Users Posts: 942 ✭✭✭outfox

Agreed. I'm a big Shimano fan, but that crankset is rank. A rank-set?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,256 ✭✭✭Kaisr Sose

Interesting. Thought they may have rolled out a power meter with the new Ultegre but it would probably hit Dura Ace sales if they did. Is the chainset the same as the new DA - in that you can put 34/36/39 or 50/52/53/54 on the same spider?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,769 ✭✭✭cython

Kaisr Sose wrote: »
    Interesting. Thought they may have rolled out a power meter with the new Ultegre but it would probably hit Dura Ace sales if they did. Is the chainset the same as the new DA - in that you can put 34/36/39 or 50/52/53/54 on the same spider?

It looks like it (based on where the joint between spider and chainrings is, and length of the arm on the chainrings): https://myultegra.shimano.com/content/dam/ultegra/01_Homepage/crank-homepage-ultegra.png

That was a feature of Ultegra 6800 (and indeed 105 5800) already, so I'd be surprised if they went backwards like that, especially as there are probably greater economies of scale from just making the one set of cranks and spider, and Japanese companies love their manufacturing efficiencies, after all!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,535 ✭✭✭at1withmyself

Being waiting for this one and not disappointed. Chain Reaction have had a few bits on the website the past few days but only added pictures yesterday.

Wonder when bikes will be available with it?

Currently have the 7950 Di2 so looking to get the Di2 rim brake version and willing to wait a while but should be big improvment over current set-up i have.

• Registered Users Posts: 235 ✭✭whacker00

mamax wrote: »
    Any prices ?
    I was on Chain reaction this morning and it had €1205.99 with 10% off and down as "coming soon" 
    Hopefully the 6800 might come down at bit ????

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,507 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

Between 1981 - 2005 there were 4 Ultegra family updates. 6300-6600.

In roughly the same time there were 6 105 updates.

Dura Ace has had a load of updates and tweeks in that time but that's obviously to suit the pro end of the market.

I imagine 105 was consistently upgraded as it was what the consumer wanted, or could afford. Now there seems to be an increasing push for cyclists to have nothing less than Ultegra. It certainly is a bit like the new golf.

It's also risking going down the tech route of people thinking their device (bike) is suddenly obsolete, when it just isn't.

Now I'm off to to investigate that Rotor Hydraulic groupset....

• Registered Users Posts: 8,846 ✭✭✭Tenzor07

105 = Great for training and some racing also
    Ultegra: Great for amatuer racing
    Dura Ace: For Pro's/sponsored riders and those with too much disposable income! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,113 ✭✭✭mr spuckler

whacker00 wrote: »
    I was on Chain reaction this morning and it had €1205.99 with 10% off and down as "coming soon" 

that's what i'm hoping for too! or people upgrading might sell off their old kit here :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,535 ✭✭✭at1withmyself

whacker00 wrote: »

The new dura ace groupset is only another 95 on merlin cycles so I'd like to think that price will drop significantly

• Registered Users Posts: 173 ✭✭Juan More Time

Looks fantastic and great to see some new cassette options too, although too many of the new cassettes have a redundant 11 tooth sprocket...

For us non racers a 13-14-15-16-17-19-21-23-25-28-32 paired with a 52-36 chainset would be perfect.

Most racing cyclists right up to elite level would be better served by a 12-13-14-15-16-17-19-21-23-25-28 cassette paired with a 53-39 chainset.

Unfortunately these ratios are only available if you buy the hideously expensive dura ace cassette for €165, otherwise one is forced to buy two ultegra cassettes 12-25, 11-28 and splice the appropriate ratios together...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,124 ✭✭✭Unknown Soldier

• Registered Users Posts: 942 ✭✭✭outfox

Unfortunately these ratios are only available if you buy the hideously expensive dura ace cassette for €165,

The Dura Ace cassette seems to be the one part of the groupset that gets poor reviews due to high wear. Replacement with an Ultegra cassette seems to be the done thing.

• Advertisement
Advertisement