Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Looking for vice principal or principals' opinion?

Options
  • 07-06-2017 8:30pm
    Registered Users Posts: 301 ✭✭

Hi everyone,

I've been a qualified secondary teacher a few years now, under five years and last year after not getting my own hours, I took an SNA role for the year only due to finances. I couldn't afford to turn it down. It was a tough decision.

I worked at this role for a year and Im going back teaching this september. Im very worried though this will go against me with potential jobs. Ive worked so hard the last few years, subbed in many schools, taught learning support and resource, got involved in extra curricular. I'm just terrified I will get nothing as they will see it as a step backwards and that my CV won't make it past the door. I would really appreciate any advice about this as I'm sick with worry most days thinking about it.

Could any vice principals or principals advise me on what they think.

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,517 ✭✭✭✭TheDriver

Hi there,
    firstly, Vice Principals don't exist anymore, went out about 20 years ago. Its Deputy Principals nowadays.
    Taking an SNA role will not come against you in the slightest. It shows work ethic, versatility, flexibility.
    However you should tell us your subjects because if you are a teacher of rare subjects, then there is a question as to why you didn't pick up the hours.
    Are you in the middle of nowhere or populated area? You don't need to identify things to us but a general indication. Can you travel for work or do you have commitments that means you can't throw the net wide?

• Registered Users Posts: 301 ✭✭Eimee90

TheDriver wrote: »
    Hi there,
    firstly, Vice Principals don't exist anymore, went out about 20 years ago. Its Deputy Principals nowadays.
    Taking an SNA role will not come against you in the slightest. It shows work ethic, versatility, flexibility.
    However you should tell us your subjects because if you are a teacher of rare subjects, then there is a question as to why you didn't pick up the hours.
    Are you in the middle of nowhere or populated area? You don't need to identify things to us but a general indication. Can you travel for work or do you have commitments that means you can't throw the net wide?

My subjects are English and History and I'm city based. I have commitments that leave me confined to the city I'm based in. I always got subbing and was never without work, but this particular year threw me challenges that I needed a steady wage every two weeks and the fact that I am paid for holidays would get me out of a difficult financial situation.

I think I just want to be sure that my CV will get passed the short listing, I'm just very worried I guess.

Thanks for your input.

• Registered Users Posts: 223 ✭✭icebergiceberg

Anything which shows a willingness to get stuck in is a big positive. SNA role can be very, very difficult. Expect to be questioned about it and thus your chance to shine. I think a teacher who has doubled up as an SNA shows very admirable qualities indeed.

• Registered Users Posts: 301 ✭✭Eimee90

TheDriver wrote: »
    Hi there,

Could you possibly advise me with something else as well. I'm having trouble condensing my CV to two pages, it's currently three. I've worked in over 6 schools you see. I wonder for the schools I've only subbed in, should I just list them rather than list the responsibilities and duties I preformed... ect, my application letter is also just over a page. Would you advise me to bring it down to one.
    Thanks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,812 ✭✭✭✭evolving_doors

elsa21 wrote: »
    Could you possibly advise me with something else as well. I'm having trouble condensing my CV to two pages, it's currently three. I've worked in over 6 schools you see. I wonder for the schools I've only subbed in, should I just list them rather than list the responsibilities and duties I preformed... ect, my application letter is also just over a page. Would you advise me to bring it down to one.
    Thanks

Maybe just list all the schools. Then after, 1 condensed part on all Subject/levels taught and 1 part on Responsibilities.
    Name and address going across rather than down!

Just list the Qualifications/University/Universities.. don't bother putting in modules studied if you have them.

Cover-letter 1 page only. Get someone else to read it. Try to provide some evidence for any claims you make in it :)

• Advertisement
Advertisement