Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Online banking and debit card

Options
  • 07-06-2017 10:17pm
    Registered Users Posts: 8

Hi, I would like to set up an online banking account for my mother in law who is 90. Does she need a debit card to operate her account? Or does she need an ATM card? She has neither. How do I go about helping her apply for one? 

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,640 ✭✭✭Bank of Ireland: Sarah

freezy wrote: »
    Hi, I would like to set up an online banking account for my mother in law who is 90. Does she need a debit card to operate her account? Or does she need an ATM card? She has neither. How do I go about helping her apply for one?
    Hi freezy,

Thanks for contacting us on Boards.

You can open a Current account for your mother-in-law which will provide her with a Visa Debit Card and also register for our 365 Online banking service. As she is over the age of 66, she will avail of our Golden Years Current account which includes a no Transaction fee offer. She can apply for the account by calling our New Account team on 1890 354 454 or by calling into her local branch, and it would be best to book an appointment with the branch to do this. Please see more information on our Golden Years account here.
    She will need to provide us with copies of her photo ID such as a passport and proof of address such as a recent utility bill, another bank statement or a letter from the Department of Social Protection to open the account. If you wish to book an appointment in your local branch please see here.

I hope this helps and please let us know if we can help with any other query.

Thanks,
    Sarah

• Registered Users Posts: 8 freezy

Thanks Sarah. Actually she already has a bank account but it was opened ages ago. Way before the times of atm cards or debit cards or online banking! How does she get a debit card in this instance?

quote="Bank of Ireland: Sarah;103742718"]Hi freezy,

You can open a Current account for your mother-in-law which will provide her with a Visa Debit Card and also register for our 365 Online banking service. As she is over the age of 66, she will avail of our Golden Years Current account which includes a no Transaction fee offer. She can apply for the account by calling our New Account team on 1890 354 454 or by calling into her local branch, and it would be best to book an appointment with the branch to do this. Please see more information on our Golden Years account here.
    She will need to provide us with copies of her photo ID such as a passport and proof of address such as a recent utility bill, another bank statement or a letter from the Department of Social Protection to open the account. If you wish to book an appointment in your local branch please see here.

Thanks,
    Sarah[/quote]

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,640 ✭✭✭Bank of Ireland: Sarah

freezy wrote: »
    Thanks Sarah. Actually she already has a bank account but it was opened ages ago. Way before the times of atm cards or debit cards or online banking! How does she get a debit card in this instance?

quote="Bank of Ireland: Sarah;103742718"]Hi freezy,

Thanks,
    Sarah
    Thanks freezy,

If she already has an existing account, then she can request a Visa Debit card by calling BOI Direct on 0818365365 and an advisor will be happy to help her and also set her up for 365 Online banking. This number is available 8am to midnight Monday to Friday and 9am to 6pm on weekends. As you mention she set up the account a while ago, the account may have gone inactive since so our advisor on the phone can check if this is the case and what will be needed to activate the account again.

Thanks again,
    Sarah

Advertisement