Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

AIB Fees and charges

Comments

Merowig wrote: »
    Keep constantly over 2.5k in your account and the acount becomes free of fees.
    https://aib.ie/our-products/current-accounts/A-way-to-bank-for-free

Wow, didn't know that. I'll keep 2500 in there and then start saving using other means.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,226 ✭✭✭nikkibikki

Merowig wrote:

You make it sound so easy.....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 413 ✭✭Merowig

nikkibikki wrote: »
    You make it sound so easy.....

I am aware that people are in different situations and some struggle weekly/monthly.
    Generally people should have savings for 6 months of expenses - in case something unexpected happened (e.g. loss of the job, car break down).
    In order to achieve savings one has to maximise earnings (which means one might be forced back into education/ changing jobs) and minimise spendings.
    Here, budgeting might help to make the salary last longer. (AIB has as well a budgeting tool which is ok'ish ;) )

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

Wow, didn't know that. I'll keep 2500 in there and then start saving using other means.

Had no idea that was the case either and I was just bitching about it the other day, the crazy quarterly fees. I transfer all my savings to a different account.

That's about €100 saved a year now! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 746 ✭✭✭Thegalwayman

Had no idea that was the case either and I was just bitching about it the other day, the crazy quarterly fees. I transfer all my savings to a different account.

Just switch banks KBC fee free and PTSB also without having to worry about temporarily dipping below 2500 after a good weekend or unanticipated DirectDebit. PTSB do the same rewards scheme if that makes a difference

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,186 ✭✭✭lau1247

That is a very high banking fee. Have you got more than one account? My quarterly fees comes in at about €10 so that makes it about €40-€50 per year.

BOI is the worst, €5 gets taken every quarter no matter how much you keep in there and if you are below a certain threshold, you get charged additional banking fees.. how are people still banking with them is beyond me.

West Dublin, ☀️ 7.83kWp ⚡5.66 kWp South West, ⚡2.18 kWp North East

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,791 ✭✭✭✭Nalz

wiggy123 wrote: »
    has the lidl offered stopped? bought shopping on the card over a week ago, didn't get the €10 back yet.. anyone in same boat?

Think that ended on 31st May
    Merowig wrote: »
    https://aib.ie/our-products/current-accounts/A-way-to-bank-for-free

or take out a mortgage with AIB :-o

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,793 ✭✭✭masterboy123

Is KBC totally free? What if i withdraw money using card or pay using card?
    Just switch banks KBC fee free and PTSB also without having to worry about temporarily dipping below 2500 after a good weekend or unanticipated DirectDebit. PTSB do the same rewards scheme if that makes a difference

• Registered Users Posts: 746 ✭✭✭Thegalwayman

KBC.ie will answer this for you

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,932 ✭✭✭Sniipe

Nalz wrote: »
    or take out a mortgage with AIB :-o
    sorry, whats that now? If I have an AIB mortgage I don't need the €2500 in the account? Is this a new rule?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 918 ✭✭✭styron

The Student current account is free. Their standard current account has charges:

zkjw4i.jpg

https://www.kbc.ie/our-products/kbc-current-account/current-account

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,581 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

The extra current account has no fees if you lodge a min of €2,500 a month. the balance can change at any time and you're not penalised like you are with AIB.

https://www.kbc.ie/our-products/kbc-current-account/current-account/extra

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,013 ✭✭✭✭Quazzie

The extra current account has no fees if you lodge a min of €2,500 a month. the balance can change at any time and you're not penalised like you are with AIB.

https://www.kbc.ie/our-products/kbc-current-account/current-account/extra
    Does that mean if I lodge 2500 from my savings and then transfer it back into my savings the next day I get free banking?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,581 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

Quazzie wrote: »
    Does that mean if I lodge 2500 from my savings and then transfer it back into my savings the next day I get free banking?

That'd be a question for them I'm afraid (I'd see no problem with it but then again I'm not a bank). I've been warned about dragging this thread off topic when it initially opened. Don't want to do it again.

• Registered Users Posts: 918 ✭✭✭styron

Quazzie wrote: »

Switching to a KBC current account includes it being a payment account:
    Note: A payment account is an account that lets you lodge funds, withdraw cash, and make and receive payment transactions. It is the main bank account that you use for your day-to-day banking. For the purposes of switching, a payment account includes the KBC Basic Payment Account. Please check with your existing provider whether or not you can switch your payment account to one with another provider.
    ... You can opt to keep your existing account open or close your old account on your Switch Form.

Step 2: We will contact your old bank to arrange the transfer of all your Direct Debits and Standing Order payments from the switching date provided. Once you have received the listing of any Direct Debit and Standing Order payments from your old bank, check this information carefully and contact us immediately if you think something is not right. If you have direct debit originators that are outside of Ireland, you will need to notify them yourself of the changes to your account details.

https://www.kbc.ie/our-products/kbc-current-account/current-account/changing-banks

Mods - apologies for off topic.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 413 ✭✭Merowig

Sniipe wrote: »
    sorry, whats that now? If I have an AIB mortgage I don't need the €2500 in the account? Is this a new rule?

No it's not new
    https://aib.ie/our-products/mortgages/mortgage-benefits

Can a moderator splitt the current account discussion into a new thread?

Advertisement