Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

General Chat

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,563 ✭✭✭✭peteeeed

Wright crashing out

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,404 ✭✭✭Justin Credible Darts

meanwhile in the complete joke that is the bdo, the last 32, the worst 32 ever assembled for a tv event is underway.

14 players have played today in the 7 games.
    one player...yes one player has managed to average over 88.

meanwhile the irish lad won the youths with a 92 average

• Registered Users Posts: 1,435 ✭✭✭Scoundrel

We can confirm there is indeed prize money for the boys/girls winners and runners. The prize money was done in a pay in/out basis, therefore the final figures have not yet been released.

Congratulations to both Katie Sheldon and Keane Barry on their victories this afternoon!

Scoundrel wrote: »
    We can confirm there is indeed prize money for the boys/girls winners and runners. The prize money was done in a pay in/out basis, therefore the final figures have not yet been released.

Congratulations to both Katie Sheldon and Keane Barry on their victories this afternoon!

The bdo took 10 quid of every youth player even though there was now prize fund.

The bdo took in 2980 quid, and then there was a backlash, so the winning youths were pulled aside and asked their bank details and told something would be sorted out.

In typical bdo fashion, they started a begging go fund me page.
    you could not make this up

4 irish people in the Masters.

one of them the kid Keane Barry....he wins the youth title.
    The other 3 , two are from cork are in the mens last 32.

2 have played and 2 won with ease, and the last on now.

• Advertisement

john o shea misses 11 match darts but still wins.

all 4 irish players in the comp win their games

• Registered Users Posts: 2,882 ✭✭✭sc86

Showing this before the watershed time should be illegal

• Registered Users Posts: 2,651 ✭✭✭US2

I've been raving on this site for a long time about just how good Irish darts standard is but not really making a break through.

Think Willie o Connor or Steve Lennon is the most successful Irish player ? No disrespect to Steven or Willie but I think Ireland should be right there with England and Holland when it comes to challenging for big tournaments.
    The talent was always there , maybe money was the problem, but

In 2019

Ireland final of world cup - Steve and Willie

Willie - players Championship win

Dolan - 2x players Championship win

Keane Barry plays at all pally worlds ( + Willie and steve)

Keane Barry plays BDO world youth final (against Leighton Bennett) *?

Keane Barry plays JDC world final

Keane Barry - world youth master boys champion

Katie Sheldon - World youth master girls champion

Ciaran Teehan entered 1 challenge tour and won it

3 Irish in last 16 of world masters

I've been amazed by Leighton and Beau greeves and posted plenty about them here, but looks like we have a match in Keane an Katie.

There is more, that's off the top of my head correct me if I'm wrong?

The take over is underway , 10 years time we will be up with Netherlands, England, Scotland ect.

Someone can spin this or correct me whatever they want, but it's been an unbelievable year for Irish dart SO FAR.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,559 ✭✭✭bassy

US2 wrote: »
    I've been raving on this site for a long time about just how good Irish darts standard is but not really making a break through.

Think Willie o Connor or Steve Lennon is the most successful Irish player ? No disrespect to Steven or Willie but I think Ireland should be right there with England and Holland when it comes to challenging for big tournaments.

In 2019

I've been amazed by Leighton and Beau greeves and posted plenty about them here, but looks like we have a match in Keane an Katie.

The take over is underway , 10 years time we will be up with Netherlands, England, Scotland ect.

Someone can spin this or correct me whatever they want, but it's been an unbelievable year for Irish dart SO FAR.

longevity will dictate ;)

bassy wrote: »
    longevity will dictate ;)

How u can have a negative reply to that is beyond me.

We're just getting started , that's my point.

• Advertisement

How u can have a negative reply to that is beyond me.

We're just getting started , that's my point.
    Started ?

Wrong, Irish players have been playing in the BDO, long before there was a split, and some of the old News of the World comps, from Jack McKenna and Jim McQuuillan

Even in the early days of the PDC we had guys like Tom Kirby, and down the years we had guys like Mick McGowan, Jacko Barry, shane O connor, Connie Finnan and many others

I remember one weekend a player called Felix McBrearty turned up for a players champs weekend, before the tourcard began paid his entry fee and won the event in Killarney, winning an event that had all the top players including Phil Taylor. He even beat MVG along the way and beat Chris Mason in the final.

The problem with your statement is there has always been a strong number of Irish players, its not a new thing, the problem is the Irish players cannot get to the next level.
    I would love to see it happening but its just not happening at the moment.

And those Irish lads in the BDO, I obviously wish them well, but its the bdo, its a pub standard competition

Obviously Irish players have played over there before, none of them were any good, that's changing now. Your life must be a misery

Obviously Irish players have played over there before, none of them were any good, that's changing now. Your life must be a misery

If you knew anything about darts you will realize those former Irish players were playing in a time when the boards had thicker wires, smaller trebles, with staples, was less sponsorship and the money nowhere near the levels today nor was the exposure.

for you to spout as it were fact there were not any good , shows you are the one who is miserable and disrespectful

• Registered Users Posts: 13,563 ✭✭✭✭peteeeed

What's happened to this thread? Non stop arguing

peteeeed wrote: »
    What's happened to this thread? Non stop arguing

would appear certain members are replying to the poster as opposed to the post..

I find it hilarious the last poster would call me miserable while he was labeling people no good.
    Irony is lost on him

Agree , dont think its anything to get to carried away with yet.
    1 or 2 players with promise

Just look at james hubbard for example , where is he now

Anyone having problems watching the darts on ITV 4 says cant be shown due to copyright restrictions??? It worked last night

Anyone having problems watching the darts on ITV 4 says cant be shown due to copyright restrictions??? It worked last night

Take it you are with virgin media then.

Happens all the time with that shower of morons.

That is why sky is better than virgin media,

• Registered Users Posts: 3,672 ✭✭✭ElTel

Same for me. (with Virgin)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,559 ✭✭✭bassy

that's why its handy to just have a sat box for the free channels on 28.2e no probs here :) dobey under the hammer as I type.vincent sweat a lot looks like going through.

Take it you are with virgin media then.

Happens all the time with that shower of morons.

That is why sky is better than virgin media,

Yeah the feckers never did this before

Yeah the feckers never did this before

another thing with virgin is there is no red button either.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,772 ✭✭✭Lazarus2.0

In 2019

Willie also hit a 9-darter early this year at a local floor tournament

Katie also reached the semis of the WDF Europe Cup this year and was unlucky to be beaten in the final of the WDF World Cup by Beau Greaves

Ciaran Teehan also played in the last challenge tour event the day after winning event #17. He reached the final again, only to lose out 5-3 to Mark Barilli.

Keane Barry rode his luck in the Tom Kirby final but doubles for dough, as they say! He beat another exceptional young talent in Liam Gallagher on the day.

There's no doubting that the standard of darts in Ireland is improving exponentially year upon year and it has indeed been a fantastic 2019 - especially for the youths - but I got to agree that time will tell how it all turns out. I'd be thinking that Ciaran and Keane have already 'levelled up' and they're both so down-to-earth that they will continue to progress but it's a big ask of anyone to get a tour card and then earn a living out of it. An even bigger ask to carry on enjoying the game in the cut and thrust of PDC! They both shown they got the skill set and the right attitude but so do so many players from other countries these days.

Katie Sheldon, Robyn Byrne - two superb players but where's the way forward for them? There's just no money at all in the womens' game outside of sponsorship, it seems :(

Wrong.

he entered FOUR events.
    Challenge tour numbers 17, 18. 19 and 20.
    All played in the one weekend. He won event #17

Wrong.

he entered FOUR events.
    Challenge tour numbers 17, 18. 19 and 20.
    All played in the one weekend. He won event #17

I actually thought it was 2 tournaments in one day.

it is the schedule works 4 events in a weekend, 2 on the saturday and 2 on the sunday.

He won his first event, made the final I believe in one of the two events on the sunday.
    Had he done an extra weekend he might even have won a tourcard, as he finished 10th in the rankings I think, which was great for someone who only did one fifth of the events.

He is in the last 8 today in the deserted circus tavern for the masters

2 cork players in the last 8 of the masters

John O shea wins easily and in to the semi finals.

the other cork lad leading 1-0 in sets in his quarter final

Edit...make that 2-0 in sets

Teehan out didn't see but heard he was poor. O Shea could well win this the way he's playing

• Advertisement

Teehan out didn't see but heard he was poor. O Shea could well win this the way he's playing

was abysmal stuff, played in a dart empty room and the standard awful

Advertisement