Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

General Chat

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 799 ✭✭✭SeeMoreBut

peteeeed wrote: »
    fallon is not a draw ? it may be short term but ....

https://twitter.com/BarryHearn/status/1211960793333411840?s=20

Durrant reply is great. He was the reason

• Registered Users Posts: 13,563 ✭✭✭✭peteeeed

jr86 wrote: »
    Lets be honest its absolutely sh@g all to do with the prize money aspect

As stated in the BDO thread a loss in that event would be a serious damage to her "brand". 99% of people now automatically assume she's the greatest female player in the world due to her recent exploits. Its in her best interests to keep it that way

exactly

• Registered Users Posts: 13,753 ✭✭✭✭Inquitus

Sherrock got £25k for her PDC run, which is greater than 3 times what she would get if she won the women's BDO this year.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

Inquitus wrote: »
    Sherrock got £25k for her PDC run, which is greater than 3 times what she would get if she won the women's BDO this year.
    You're comparing apples and oranges. The standard of women's darts in the BDO is unfathomably poor for the most part, hence they don't draw money as sponsors and spectators are not interested in paying to support dross.

Fallon earned her money playing in the male PDC championship. A profit turning goliath funded off the backs of the game's superstars and the interest in the sport that they generate.

If the PDC ran a stand alone female comp, like they tried before, the money wouldn't be there because nobody would give a hoot.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,772 ✭✭✭Lazarus2.0

Lets be honest its absolutely sh@g all to do with the prize money aspect

As stated in the BDO thread a loss in that event would be a serious damage to her "brand". 99% of people now automatically assume she's the greatest female player in the world due to her recent exploits. Its in her best interests to keep it that way

I honestly don't see that Fallon Sherrock losing out in the BDO would have caused significant damage to her "brand", although it would certainly be a factor. More to the point, taking into account the £25k she won at the (real) Worlds and her earnings just for attending the PDC events she got invited to she's set to make more from PDC in the next 12 months than she could realistically hope to win on the BDO circuit over the course of many years - and you'd have to wonder is there even going to be a BDO "world title" in the near future.
    On top of those earnings, she's getting all this hype for free on the back of the Sky/PDC publicity machine so can clean up on the sponsorship and marketing opportunities now available to her so why on earth would she even bother with the disaster that is the BDO. She'll probably earn more for branding a shirt or a set of darts than she'd get if she won the womens' world champs?

She ain't the 'Phil Taylor' of womens' darts and I doubt she or her management think otherwise but the girl was in the right place at the right time and did well enough to grasp a rare opportunity so fair play to her for making hay while the sun shines. It's not likely to last too long but for now at least PDC/Sherrock is mutually beneficial and she'd be crazy not to focus on taking full advantage of that.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,404 ✭✭✭Justin Credible Darts

putting aside the issue of "her brand"....maybe, just maybe, that pathological liar Des who has run the bdo into the ground making promises of an increased prize fund, only to be proven a liar yet again, then reduce the prize money that was in her contract, may have been the issue.

why should Fallon honour the bdo when the bdo broke the contract, in fact the bdo should be thankful she does not sue them.

Dont give this bdo loyalty nonsense either like Fallon owes them something, they have no loyalty only to themselves when it comes down to it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,772 ✭✭✭Lazarus2.0

why should Fallon honour the bdo when the bdo broke the contract, in fact the bdo should be thankful she does not sue them.

Do BDO players even have a contract? At best they'd have a list of rules and if recent media communications are anything to go by I'd pity anyone who was expected to read and understand them.

not wanting to be pedantic though ... the BDO has been killing itself for many years and totally agree that Jacklin and his cohorts on the committee have taken the self-annihilation to a new level. Assuming Jacklin doesn't step down I can't see any other way forward for grassroots darts in UK other than for a new organisation to step in and actually do what BDO should have been doing for all of these years.

You said it in a nutshell on the BDO thread...
    They need to embrace they are amateur

Had Olly Croft back in the day recognised and run with that we'd maybe be quite happily looking forward to the Pro Final tonight and the World Amateur Tournaments over the coming fortnight. There is absolutely a place for both tourneys and it's really depressing to see how badly they've messed things up.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,959 ✭✭✭diusmr8a504cvk

On an all time list, what number would you have Dennis Priestley?

In terms of talent I think he's one of the greatest of all time.
    He won two world titles (convincingly against Bristow and Taylor) and a World Masters. He lost eight major finals (including News of the World) and was unfortunate to meet the greatest darts player to ever draw breath in five of them.

Like a lot of players, he would have won all around him in a different era but was still undoubtedly an incredible player considering the boards they played on also.

Thoughts?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,651 ✭✭✭US2

On an all time list, what number would you have Dennis Priestley?

In terms of talent I think he's one of the greatest of all time.
    He won two world titles (convincingly against Bristow and Taylor) and a World Masters. He lost eight major finals (including News of the World) and was unfortunate to meet the greatest darts player to ever draw breath in five of them.

Like a lot of players, he would have won all around him in a different era but was still undoubtedly an incredible player considering the boards they played on also.

Thoughts?

Taylor, MvG,Bristow, Priestley, G Anderson my all time top 5

20 irish players signed up for q school so far. Most of them may aswell throw the money away, not even competitive on the irish circuit.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 362 ✭✭nannerby

Top 10 defo and probably very close to top 5 unlucky to have Taylor at his best to contend with.

US2 wrote: »
    20 irish players signed up for q school so far. Most of them may aswell throw the money away, not even competitive on the irish circuit.
    Darrell Hodgson is going as well. He's English but involved with the INDO.

Would like to see Mick McGowan and Connie Finnan attend.

Darrell Hodgson is going as well. He's English but involved with the INDO.

Would like to see Mick McGowan and Connie Finnan attend.

Dont think Connie will. Surprised Darrell is going, handy player but nowhere near that level at all.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,272 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kingp35

Priestley is my favourite ever player. Definitely in too 5 behind Taylor, Bristow, MvG and maybe Barney. Would have won more had he not kept meeting Taylor in finals.

I met him at few times at exhibitions too and he was great, loved to chat to fans.

• Registered Users Posts: 678 ✭✭✭Stewball

My top 5 would be:
    1) Taylor
    2) MVG
    3) Bristow
    4) Barney
    5) Anderson or Priestley.

Taylor is undoubtedly the best ever - but how many world titles would he have if there was only one Championship?
    I don't think he'd have 16. I reckon 10 or 11.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,563 ✭✭✭✭peteeeed

The greatest of all time in terms of talent is MVG, Taylor the most successful and I think his records will never be beaten

• Registered Users Posts: 34,143 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

Who would you say was the player who should have won more?

Peter Wright was there till the win last week, but even likes of Lewis has not really kicked on from his 2 World wins.

Terry Jenkins, Dave Chisnall, Ronnie Baxter and Wayne Mardle I feel all should have won more. Much of it was down to time when Taylor was in his prime I guess.

Who would you say was the player who should have won more?

Peter Wright was there till the win last week, but even likes of Lewis has not really kicked on from his 2 World wins.

Terry Jenkins, Dave Chisnall, Ronnie Baxter and Wayne Mardle I feel all should have won more. Much of it was down to time when Taylor was in his prime I guess.
    Mervyn King should have won a lot more than the three tournaments he won in the BDO. One of the best players to never win the BDO World Title and probably would have won it if he had stuck around for a while. How he has never won anything in the PDC amazes me, he has gotten to at least the last four of the majority of majors. He should have won the Premier League after beating Taylor, should have beat Paul Nicholson in the Players Championship and chucked away the Grand Prix and Masters finals.

Alan Evans is definitely up there.
    Wayne Mardle should've at least won a Desert Classic and a World Title; it was there for the taking in '08.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,930 ✭✭✭jr86

it was there for the taking in '08.

What a tournament that was. No average over 100 for the whole tournament. Shepherd didn't even average 90 in the final. But it was such an intriguing event

I remember that Christmas there was a horrendous flu going around, and it hit some of the players too. Wade was the form player going into the event but really underperformed as a result.

The amount of players who must still have serious regrets they didn't win that tournament

What a tournament that was. No average over 100 for the whole tournament. Shepherd didn't even average 90 in the final. But it was such an intriguing event

I remember that Christmas there was a horrendous flu going around, and it hit some of the players too. Wade was the form player going into the event but really underperformed as a result.

The amount of players who must still have serious regrets they didn't win that tournament
    Shepherd didn't even average 90 in one game and had an 83 tournament average.
    Remarkable.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,435 ✭✭✭Scoundrel

Remarkable.

And people saying the PDC was always miles better than the BDO Sheppard wouldn't have got anywhere near the BDO final in 2008

• Registered Users Posts: 3,495 ✭✭✭Will I Am Not

US2 wrote: »

Is there a list of entrants online anywhere?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,930 ✭✭✭jr86

Remarkable.

Was a shame Jenkins messed up against him in round 1 as he had a very nice path to a semi after that - and as it transpired, with so few players in form anything could have happened from there

It was the first year at the Ally Pally iirc.

• Registered Users Posts: 678 ✭✭✭Stewball

Scoundrel wrote: »
    And people saying the PDC was always miles better than the BDO Sheppard wouldn't have got anywhere near the BDO final in 2008

I always thought the BDO had stronger fields in the early part of the 2000s.

The Barney switch has the turning point. Soon after that the majority of the top players followed in 08/09 and the PDC moved miles ahead then.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,272 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kingp35

The BDO is well and truly dead.

https://www.dartswdf.com/2020/01/13/wdf-development-plans-for-2020/

"The World Darts Federation would like to make our member countries and their players aware that we are currently revising our senior rankings criteria, so to launch a brand new system for 2020.

Discussions are ongoing between the WDF Executive, our nations and our commercial partners to ensure that our “2020 vision” of a viable global circuit for all players becomes a reality, with the addition of brand new WDF major tournaments within the next 12 months.

The WDF season runs from January to December and we will begin the calendar year with new tournament categories of GOLD, SILVER and BRONZE. We will also be introducing regional ranking tables for both men and women, to the benefit of all of our players worldwide. Full details will be announced in the coming days.

It is evident from the regular updates to our calendar with over 40 different countries already signed up for the 2020 season, that we have the full support of our members worldwide. This system is being developed by the WDF, on behalf of the nations that form the WDF.

All of the information that you require will be published as soon as it is available. We can reassure you that it would be beneficial to compete on the WDF circuit, with additional incentives soon to be announced.

Our first senior tournament of the year is the Las Vegas Open (January 17-19), followed by ranking events in Australia, Iceland and Canada. In mainland Europe, the season begins with two of our premier weekends, the Romanian Darts Festival (January 24-26) followed by the iconic Dutch Open Darts.

For information on how to enter these events, please see our WDF calendar page"

Kingp35 wrote: »
    The BDO is well and truly dead.

https://www.dartswdf.com/2020/01/13/wdf-development-plans-for-2020/

"The World Darts Federation would like to make our member countries and their players aware that we are currently revising our senior rankings criteria, so to launch a brand new system for 2020.

Discussions are ongoing between the WDF Executive, our nations and our commercial partners to ensure that our “2020 vision” of a viable global circuit for all players becomes a reality, with the addition of brand new WDF major tournaments within the next 12 months.

The WDF season runs from January to December and we will begin the calendar year with new tournament categories of GOLD, SILVER and BRONZE. We will also be introducing regional ranking tables for both men and women, to the benefit of all of our players worldwide. Full details will be announced in the coming days.

It is evident from the regular updates to our calendar with over 40 different countries already signed up for the 2020 season, that we have the full support of our members worldwide. This system is being developed by the WDF, on behalf of the nations that form the WDF.

All of the information that you require will be published as soon as it is available. We can reassure you that it would be beneficial to compete on the WDF circuit, with additional incentives soon to be announced.

Our first senior tournament of the year is the Las Vegas Open (January 17-19), followed by ranking events in Australia, Iceland and Canada. In mainland Europe, the season begins with two of our premier weekends, the Romanian Darts Festival (January 24-26) followed by the iconic Dutch Open Darts.

For information on how to enter these events, please see our WDF calendar page"

I wonder will there be a WDF world championships in December?

Scoundrel wrote: »
    I wonder will there be a WDF world championships in December?

It's looking that way but I suspect it will be branded as a World Amateur Championships.

It's looking that way but I suspect it will be branded as a World Amateur Championships.

Yeah that makes sense to be fair it'll pretty much be all the same players as well

• Registered Users Posts: 2,011 ✭✭✭boomdocker

Is there a list of entrants online anywhere?

There'e a separate thread with a link to the entrants

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,625 ✭✭✭ThebitterLemon

Where will Potters proposed Lakeside “World Champ” fit with all of this or has that idea died away?

TbL

Advertisement