Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Moving out at 16 - abuse

Options
  • 08-06-2017 12:25am
    Registered Users Posts: 2

I'll try keep it short, I'm sure it's been asked on here a million times but I haven't been able to find much about it.
    So, things at home have been very stressful recently, basically my parents are super anxious and are very tight on me and I've been wanting to move out. Earlier today I got caught smoking hash and my dad hit me. I know that at 16 I can move out with their permission, but they will not allow me. Under the circumstances can I leave and will I be entitled to anything? If I'm not allowed, will the guards or whoever deals with it actually try make me move back? I have 2 jobs and can support myself financially and I'd be living with another 16 year old who's parents would sign leases, etc.
    Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Also if I posted this in the wrong place please let me know. Cheers.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

A. We cant give legal advice

B.
    Under the Act the minimum school leaving age is raised to 16 years (was 15), or the completion of three years of post-primary education, whichever is the later.

If a 16yo were to have not completed 3rd year then they would be truant.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 anoneire123

Thanks for the reply.
    If I can't get legal advice here, is there anywhere else I can post this on here?
    I am finished with secondary school and will not be going back.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,447 ✭✭✭davindub

Thanks for the reply.
    If I can't get legal advice here, is there anywhere else I can post this on here?
    I am finished with secondary school and will not be going back.

Post in after hours,Mod deletion. Legal advice costs money unfortunately.

Mod
    Pls be easy on this young lady

• Registered Users Posts: 2,979 ✭✭✭optogirl

davindub wrote: »
    Post in after hours,Mod deletion[/] Legal advice costs money unfortunately.

Mod deletion Jesus Christ - if you can't help, why bother being so horrible to a teen who is obviously going through a tough time.

OP - here is a link to some free legal advice centres

https://www.flac.ie/help/centres/

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 18,567 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kimbot

You got caught smoking weed by your parents and because you were hit once you want to move out?

Or is there more to this than you have already said?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,769 ✭✭✭nuac

Mod
    Sorry we cannot help you here on Legal Discussion
    Try to find someone to whom you can talk rather than going the legal route
    Closing thread

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,758 ✭✭✭Pelvis

If you can support yourself financially then what entitlements are you looking for specifically?

I have no idea legally, but would presume you're classed as a minor and therefore if your parents wanted to they can compel you to return home. Do you fear for your safety at home? There's a difference between getting a slap for smoking hash and what would be classed abuse, rightly or wrongly.

Move out and see what happens.

• Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 11,101 Mod ✭✭✭✭MarkR

Two jobs at 16 means no school, no qualifications, means you'll be disadvanted for years to come. Talk to your parents, or childline, or something. Moving out isn't going to solve anything.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement