Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Leeds United Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours 2020/2021

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,070 ✭✭✭✭event

Its the player contract situation that could cause issues. FIFA tried to address it but havent fully yet

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,332 ✭✭✭Always Be Closing

I tell you what

Looking at Augustin on Twitter, he’s certainly dropped the timber, Bielsa must’ve had him on the Dachau Diet

This break could be a blessing in disguise fingers crossed.

If the choice was between...
    1. The season being voided and Leeds being put into the top flight as part of that increase PL to 23, relegate 5 next season plan that was doing the rounds or
    2. The season being finished some way, behind closed doors/wait longer and play it out in the usual way...

Which would you pick? 1 seems obvious but there'd always be an asterisk beside the "promotion" and with more relegation a higher risk of going straight back down.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,294 ✭✭✭Kalyke

2 for me. Untainted promotion.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,922 ✭✭✭Ceist_Beag

Definitely 2 for me.

I don't think 1 will be considered somehow - the impression I get is that the season will be finished in some fashion, not voided. Voiding leaves it very open to legal challenge on many different fronts.
    Scotland is considering a novel approach by allocating points by allowing a computer to predict the results for the remaining fixtures (source https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-scotland-52190783) - they're also considering just giving 1-1 draws for all remaining results.

• Advertisement

1 for me. Couldnt care less about untainted, an asterix or anything like that. We'd be promoted.
    Option 1 puts people at risk, its as simple as that.

• Registered Users, Subscribers, Registered Users 2 Posts: 47,336 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

Personally I'd prefer this season to be completed, whenever it's safe to do so. If it ends up running significantly into next season, then so be it, simply reduce the number of games next season. Obviously there'd need to be a minimum number of games, for example everyone should play every other team at least once. Or even just leave it at that, essentially a half season and you don't get into issues with team x complaining about playing Liverpool and City twice while team y got Bournemouth and Norwich twice.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,289 ✭✭✭stryker mcqueen

2 for me ... don't want any asterix beside our promotion , if we bottle it so be it ( I don't think we will)

5 going down next season is a massive gamble too after all this work

I was meant to be going over tomorrow for the stoke game with my 5 year old son ... I thought he had forgotten as I just stopped mentioning it and he just asked me what time our flight is tomorrow :(

I miss football

Was supposed to be going tomorrow too. Ryanair cancelled the flight over, but Aer Lingus have changed the return flight to leave Manchester before we would have reached Leeds, and without telling me they'd done that. :rolleyes:

EDIT: Just off the phone with Aer Lingus and no problem sorting a refund. Obviously I'd still prefer to be going to the match. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 712 ✭✭✭Jimmy Two Times

Yep, was also supposed to be going tomorrow and next week for Barnsley.

I know that in the general scheme of things it's trivial but it's still a pain in the hole.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,207 ✭✭✭maximoose

https://www.skysports.com/football/news/11688/11971035/coronavirus-efl-needs-56-days-to-complete-season
    The English Football League estimates it will need 56 days to complete the 2019-20 season and has advised clubs that matches are likely to resume behind closed doors.

The EFL, which oversees the Championship, League One and League Two, wrote to its 71 clubs on Thursday with an update amid the ongoing coronavirus pandemic.

Norman Hunter has tested positive for Covid 19...

Ah crap. :( Hope he gets well soon.

He, along with Eddie, have always kept themselves in great nick, hopefully he bites it's legs off

I'd be more concerned about Lash at the moment, he's had all sorts of health issues

Concern I have is Harrison. The deal to buy Harrison, it could be written that its only applicable between XX dates. If we go by that and no football, the clause might be expired and could be more expensive for us to buy him. Im sure the loan deal be extended but the clause to buy him for £8m, just dont know what will happen there.

Playing loads of games in quick succession could affect us too. We cover more ground than others and we just wont be up to the normal fitness levels, regardless of working at home. Fulham and WBA with bigger squads too.

Feck it, end the season now as it is and we go up

event wrote: »
    Playing loads of games in quick succession could affect us too. We cover more ground than others and we just wont be up to the normal fitness levels, regardless of working at home. Fulham and WBA with bigger squads too.

Good article here for anyone with access to The Athletic. It seems that Leeds were well ahead of the posse when it came to sorting out fitness while football is suspended. I don't think fitness is going to be an issue when it resumes tbh, especially as it's likely that there'll be a few weeks "pre-season" training beforehand.

Yeah I read that. We do seem ahead and I reckon we'd be fitter than other teams. But maybe not to Bielsa standards. We'll see though

• Registered Users Posts: 1,070 ✭✭✭purple hands

Few murderball sessions, be grand. I hope...

Club twitter account posted video of a lean looking JKA! I can only imagine the great satisfaction when Bielsa tells a player "Now...you are ready."

Big Kev < Medium Kev

kev.thumb.jpg.dc4685a8fd0c0ecefd9468c32260a785.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,495 ✭✭✭✭Mushy

Unfortunately there was no recovery for Norman.

RIP

RIP Norman:(

• Registered Users Posts: 2,922 ✭✭✭Ceist_Beag

Very sad, RIP Norman

• Registered Users Posts: 712 ✭✭✭Jimmy Two Times

This is so sad. My earliest memories of supporting Leeds revolve around Revie's team.

I know that there are many around us suffering with this horrible virus but this has hit me hard.

RIP " Bites your legs ".

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,894 ✭✭✭Nunu

R.I.P. Norman Hunter.

From a bygone era but I knew who he was and read plenty of anecdotal stuff about how good he was. A rightly celebrated figure in the long history of English football.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

I know a few well known people have died from this, but this is the first death that has properly upset me. When I was a kid my three favourite players were Allan Clarke, Peter Lorimer and Norman Hunter. The first two were the flash guys who scored loads and got all the glory. But Hunter was the no-nonsense last line of defence. It was a sad day for me when he was sold to Bristol City, and I was so happy for him when he finally got his hands on a World Cup winners medal about 10 years ago. He should have played a lot more for England, but for a lot of the time he was behind Bobby Moore and Big Jack in the pecking order.

He was a genuine legend of the game who will be greatly missed. RIP Norman.

Man Utd fan here and growing up in the 70s when Leeds were a force I remember Norman very well alongside Reaney, Lorimer, Giles etc.

R.I.P. to one of the great characters of the game!

• Registered Users Posts: 482 ✭✭Dub Ste

RIP Norman,
    A giant on the pitch and a gentleman off it.
    Will be greatly missed.......

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,023 ✭✭✭10000maniacs

Norman Hunter is a true legend. Very sad news today. This one really hurts. RIP Norman.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,070 ✭✭✭purple hands

This is terribly sad, RIP Norman

• Registered Users Posts: 7,603 ✭✭✭grumpymunster

Sad news indeed was very much part of the spine of the Leeds team of the late 60's early 70's whose commitment could never be doubted. Uncompromising for sure (I think it was Peter Osgood who descried him as being able to chip a good winger) but very much a player of his time RIP.

I don't remember him playing, but in the decades since then Hunter, Gray, Lorimer and perhaps Giles here in Ireland became part of the fabric of the club. They're the players we associate most with Leeds because of their continued work with the club, the media or just their availability to fans...I'm sure most of us have spent an evening in Lorimer's pub. The outpouring of emotion in Leeds, where fans have taken to hanging scarves and flags out of their windows and many have gone to lay wreaths and memorabilia at the Bremner statute, is a testament to how fondly he is remembered.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,143 ✭✭✭downthemiddle

Genuinely gutted by Norman's passing. A genuine legend who was part of the fabric of the club. RIP Norman. MOT.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 266 ✭✭tfer

I saw the man playing in Elland Rd a few times with the other great players of that time, it's a sad day for his family, LUFC and the fans R.I.P Norman

• Advertisement

Here's a picture of Bill to cheer everyone up

93273196_10158054711217296_643591335953039360_o.jpg?_nc_cat=103&_nc_sid=2d5d41&_nc_ohc=ZtUDK0i7BJQAX88mgtE&_nc_ht=scontent.fman3-1.fna&_nc_tp=6&oh=fe7c424c77899ef1d596b16849a7b958&oe=5EBCAFAF

South stand getting renamed after Norman hunter, nice touch from the club

2 stands to go. The Alioski Cheese Wedge and the Charlton East

Gray deserves a statue due to work he did as Manager/Assistant/continuous service. Lorimer tarnished his legacy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,495 ✭✭✭✭Mushy

2 stands to go. The Alioski Cheese Wedge and the Charlton East

Gray deserves a statue due to work he did as Manager/Assistant/continuous service. Lorimer tarnished his legacy.

Would the cheese wedge not be classed as either south or east?

Gray will get something big alright.

Mushy wrote: »
    Would the cheese wedge not be classed as either south or east?

Gray will get something big alright.

It’s an enigma

A bit like Alioski :-)

• Advertisement

There has to be something named after Big Jack at some stage. Himself and Hunter were the two World Cup winners in the team, which to be fair is a pretty big deal. Plus he holds the appearance record which will probably never be beaten.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,014 ✭✭✭Eggs For Dinner

So many legends, so few stands

Rename Thorpe Arch in Wilko's honour considering he systemtically modernized the academy - without him, theres no Kelly, Harte, Woodgate, McPhail, Smith, Kewell, Robinson, Milner, Lennon, Delph, Howson, Cook, Rose, Taylor, Phillips et al

Aren't they looking to move away from Thorpe Arch?
    Moving back to Fullerton Park I think

A Billy Brenner stand would be welcome. Yes, he has the square and the statue, but...it's Billy Brenner...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,612 ✭✭✭eigrod

Trevor Cherry gone now. RIP to another great 70s name.

Been a horrific couple of weeks for 70s & 80s top footballers.

Classy footballer, and the last Leeds player to captain England, if I'm not mistaken. This has been a really sh*te week. RIP

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,015 Mod ✭✭✭✭whiterebel

RIP Trevor.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,117 ✭✭✭jacool

RIP Trevor

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 266 ✭✭tfer

Very sad week, great player, RIP

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement