Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Leeds United Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours 2020/2021

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,014 ✭✭✭Eggs For Dinner

Has to be said that Bielsa's use of Pablo since the resumption has been brilliant. Many would have been tempted to throw him in from the start of games and he might have faded by now. Let others tire out the opposition and send him on to exploit the situation

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,331 ✭✭✭Keyzer

Tremendous result... a season defining goal perhaps.

I'll not relax until this is done.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,922 ✭✭✭Ceist_Beag

Loved this Tweet
    https://twitter.com/JSomers90/status/1282416252879806466?s=20

Everytime I think of Pablo it brings me back to WGS.

• Registered Users Posts: 712 ✭✭✭Jimmy Two Times

Keyzer wrote: »
    Tremendous result... a season defining goal perhaps.

I'll not relax until this is done.

So many similarities with Strachan's winner against Leicester 89/90 and John Helm's unforgettable commentary. Edit : Just beat me to it :-)

What a day that was.

For the first time now I'm starting to get excited,rather than feeling sick with fear.

Wondering if it was easier when our sole ambition was mid-table mediocrity.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 621 ✭✭✭Slim Charles

So many similarities with Strachan's winner against Leicester 89/90 and John Helm's unforgettable commentary. Edit : Just beat me to it :-)

What a day that was.

For the first time now I'm starting to get excited,rather than feeling sick with fear.

Wondering if it was easier when our sole ambition was mid-table mediocrity.

Who finishes 13th or 15th every season these days ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,896 ✭✭✭Hijpo

I hope we are looking at strikers already. Surely now there is a big draw towards us.

Will it be a case of try and stay up with the current squad then spend next year?

Hijpo wrote: »
    I hope we are looking at strikers already. Surely now there is a big draw towards us.

Will it be a case of try and stay up with the current squad then spend next year?

I suspect they will buy a striker, but presume it'll be only back up, some good striker from another Championship club or one of the relegated teams.

He may be tempted to still start with Bamford. Sheffield United stuck with McGoldrick and it paid off.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,331 ✭✭✭Keyzer

Hijpo wrote: »

At the risk of getting ahead of ourselves, the club has to be looking at bringing in players. All due respect to the current squad, but lets face it - some of them are not PL quality.

I pray to god we can hold on to White. We need another quality CB, a couple of CM/AM and a CF who can score goals on consistent basis.

I'd like to see the club invest but not over spend. Should we get promoted, the focus should be on slowly building the team up in a way that makes financial sense.

I'd take PL mid table mediocrity for a couple of years if it means we don't get relegated again with a financial cavity block around the clubs neck.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,185 ✭✭✭championc

A solid team like we have, having the guts of two seasons playing together, is worth far more than a bunch of new additions of higher (on paper) caliber

• Registered Users Posts: 1,312 ✭✭✭blaa85

Whatever money is saved from the JKA deal, should be thrown at Ben White. How ever much JKA was meant to be getting in wages, would probably cover White and a new strikers wages.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,014 ✭✭✭Eggs For Dinner

is_that_so wrote: »
    The ban is up but can't see him playing again. In all likelihood he'll go back to Spain.

Whatever the argument about what he did, he should be on the bench for the run in

Whatever the argument about what he did, he should be on the bench for the run in

Oh I think that could bring distraction the club does not need, especially as a few players have received racist abuse online in recent weeks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,070 ✭✭✭✭event

Lads, we wont see huge investment. Said it before

Costa - 16m
    Harrison - 8m
    JKA - 18m (havent gotten out of this yet)

So thats committed to 42m. Then if we did get White, that would be another 35-40m. So around £80m just for the same squad.

We would probably spend another £20m to be honest, I couldnt see us spending any more than £100m and I wouldnt want us to spend any more. Lets not pull a Villa here.

Plus Bielsa is not one for a bloated squad, he wont sign players just for the sake of it. He loves Bamford, like loves him. He starts all the time, Bielsa isnt too concerned about his goal return cos he does so much else for the team. We might not like it, but I think we need to be aware with it and make peace with it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,191 ✭✭✭✭Shanotheslayer

I suspect they will buy a striker, but presume it'll be only back up, some good striker from another Championship club or one of the relegated teams.

He may be tempted to still start with Bamford. Sheffield United stuck with McGoldrick and it paid off.

I wouldn't think sticking with a striker who only recently scored 2 goals in the entire PL is considered 'Paid off'

• Registered Users Posts: 4,994 ✭✭✭c.p.w.g.w

I wouldn't think sticking with a striker who only recently scored 2 goals in the entire PL is considered 'Paid off'

Well his off the ball work is incredible anytime i've seen the Blades play this season...But then again they play a different style and don't tend to score a lot of goals either...only 6 teams in the EPL have score fewer goals than the blades

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,593 ✭✭✭DoctaDee

I just have this unsettling feeling with regards Bielsa - that his sole project is to get Leeds to the promised land, but not necessarily to join us there... so the talk about Summer acquisitions as viewed from Bielsa's perspective maybe moot - needless to say I hope I'm completely wrong ......

I think sticking with the players who got them promoted is paying off very well for Sheffield United. They are in 7th place in the table, despite not bringing in big signings or replacing a striker because of his poor goal return.

Theres alot to be said for it alright. Despite the money involved, there's not much difference between the championship and a large part of the premiership.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,070 ✭✭✭purple hands

DoctaDee wrote: »
    I just have this unsettling feeling with regards Bielsa - that his sole project is to get Leeds to the promised land, but not necessarily to join us there... so the talk about Summer acquisitions as viewed from Bielsa's perspective maybe moot - needless to say I hope I'm completely wrong ......

I was actually thinking this too. He's totally immersed in the football, and with everything that's happened last year and the weight of expectation this year, he looks extremely stressed and unhealthy sometimes. Might want to pack it in, but hope to god not, and all he needs is a break and time to look after himself.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,495 ✭✭✭✭Mushy

DoctaDee wrote: »

I think he'll stay when/if they go up, otherwise he wont. Cant see him staying much longer.

The video of Beckford talking about him was great, SSN reporter says hes in the shop window so he could move, beckford saying why hes at a huge club already, reporter says well ya know, beckford shuts it down saying no, I dont. Find beckford funny, he had some great times at leeds (all things considered), but wasnt there too long. But fans love him, and he loves the club. Seems to be almost disproportionate to the time he spent there

Mushy wrote: »
    I think he'll stay when/if they go up, otherwise he wont. Cant see him staying much longer.

The video of Beckford talking about him was great, SSN reporter says hes in the shop window so he could move, beckford saying why hes at a huge club already, reporter says well ya know, beckford shuts it down saying no, I dont. Find beckford funny, he had some great times at leeds (all things considered), but wasnt there too long. But fans love him, and he loves the club. Seems to be almost disproportionate to the time he spent there

You got a link to that?

You got a link to that?

https://twitter.com/Oakes_89/status/1282352211356520453?s=09

Very quick and makes reporter sound a fool

He's in the shop window

Here not some up and coming kid that no one knows about ffs

Mushy wrote: »
    https://twitter.com/Oakes_89/status/1282352211356520453?s=09

Very quick and makes reporter sound a fool

Hahah love that guy, all through my life my favourite players were Central Defenders, or defensive midfielders, except for that 07-10 period when that beautiful man was our no.9.

• Registered Users, Subscribers, Registered Users 2 Posts: 47,336 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

Bielsa has always done his own thing, and there's no guarantee that he'd actually leave Leeds even if Real Madrid or Juventus, for example, offered him a job. Honour and doing the right thing is very important to him, as we saw against Villa last season, so if he feels that he still has work to do at Leeds I reckon he'll stay, for at least one more season. If he leaves I think it will be to retire, rather than go to another club. He's 65 next week, after all, and while obviously there's no set retirement age for managers, he may feel that Leeds is his last big career challenge.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,896 ✭✭✭Hijpo

Zaph wrote: »
    Bielsa has always done his own thing, and there's no guarantee that he'd actually leave Leeds even if Real Madrid or Juventus, for example, offered him a job. Honour and doing the right thing is very important to him, as we saw against Villa last season, so if he feels that he still has work to do at Leeds I reckon he'll stay, for at least one more season. If he leaves I think it will be to retire, rather than go to another club. He's 65 next week, after all, and while obviously there's no set retirement age for managers, he may feel that Leeds is his last big career challenge.

Did anyone watch El Loco & Leeds on sky? It's great, basically the man wants a club that will let him do his thing. He loves football, watching tapes and analysis is his hobby. He wants to work at a club with a board that he trusts and they trust him.
    That's why he left Lazio after two days apparently.
    They put him up in a plush hotel but he just wanted a little bed sit. He walks everywhere and mingles with the public, shops in morrisons or something.

He might just stay because the surroundings suit him.

Only thing that might get him to leave is club not getting him the players he wants/needs

Promotion would be one of Bielsa's greatest achievements, revitalising a huge club that had gone through the wringer, transforming it both on and off the pitch, imposing a style that has had critics drooling, that has seen average players like Dallas reach heights no one predicted, and good players like White and Phillips mentioned in the context of international call ups, and all on a limited budget. He has proved all his doubters wrong, he has restored his reputation as one of the great thinkers in the game, and he has done it all with modesty and humility.

Now, whether this will tempt him to retire with the satisfaction of all he has achieved, or to continue and see can he do more than lead a team to the top flight but restore them to the top of that group...I suspect even his own psychologist couldn't answer that with certainty...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,024 ✭✭✭10000maniacs

Hopefully Preston will do a job on Brentford tomorrow.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,312 ✭✭✭blaa85

If Leeds, Fulham and Brentford all win, we just need a point at Derby to take both promotion and the title.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,062 ✭✭✭davedanon

If we do get promoted, I don't see any obvious reason why Bielsa wouldn't want to compete with the big boys (and his former proteges) in the Prem. It doesn't make sense that he would say 'enough', and leave as some sort of crowning achievement Leeds' promotion.

What I can see happening is him quitting over some sort of internal shenanigan. Say if the Qataris carried out a takeover with the intention of turning us into the the new PSG. I could see him resigning in protest if control is taken away from him, and expensive players he hasn't asked for start arriving at Elland Road. But my hope would be that we continue to develop naturally and organically, with Marcelo at the helm.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,501 ✭✭✭PabloAndRoy

I think he will stay but should Bielsa go, who would we like to step in?

Pochettino not currently working. How about him?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,294 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kingp35

• Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭OutTheGap

I think he will stay but should Bielsa go, who would we like to step in?

Pochettino not currently working. How about him?

I don't think we'd get somebody like Poch to be honest. I'd say he'd be looking for a team playing in the European competitions.

I'd go for Sean Dyche. He's proven in the Premier League, used to working on a small budget and he seemed to have an argument with his chairman recently so he might be tempted to leave Burnley.

OutTheGap wrote: »
    I don't think we'd get somebody like Poch to be honest. I'd say he'd be looking for a team playing in the European competitions.

I'd go for Sean Dyche. He's proven in the Premier League, used to working on a small budget and he seemed to have an argument with his chairman recently so he might be tempted to leave Burnley.

All credit to Dyche, done a great job at burnley, but the contrast in style of play would worry me and think he'd struggle at first. If it was after pretty much any other manager Leeds have had the last decade, I'd take him, but not now

• Registered Users Posts: 2,922 ✭✭✭Ceist_Beag

Personally I don't really like any discussion about who comes after Bielsa. I think we should do absolutely everything in our power to keep the man, he has done so much for the club we need to make sure that when the time comes it is purely down to Bielsa deciding he wants to retire and not down to any fault of anyone at the club. Knowing Bielsa, if it was done on his terms, he would give the club plenty of notice about his intentions and the transition could all be handled professionally and smoothly.

IF Bielsa were to leave, for whatever reason, his successor would have to be, if not a direct protege, then someone in his mould. He has forever altered the club's DNA. There's no going back to some sort of Colin Warnock/Big Sam attritional just-stay-up-by-whatever-means style. We are a passing, running, process-driven team now. Bielsa is the best thing to happen to us since Wilko. I don't want us to ever change the method he has instilled.

Kingp35 wrote: »

Ah Christ. White to midfield and Berardi to centre half :(

• Registered Users Posts: 1,070 ✭✭✭purple hands

If Berra keeps his head, which he has done this season tbf, we'll be fine hopefully. Himself and White started the Huddersfield game. And there's time to work on it in training.

Might have a knock-on effect of starting Pablo to help establish control in Kalvin's absence. Much as I love seeing him, agree the careful use of Pablo so far has been ideal.

I'd have thought Carlos Corberan is pretty much certain to be the next Leeds manager.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,501 ✭✭✭PabloAndRoy

I'd have thought Carlos Corberan is pretty much certain to be the next Leeds manager.

He probably lacks the experience at the top level. It would be a risk to take him on as his first managerial job.

I really think we will have Bielsa for one more year. Was just wondering what people thought.

Nice to see West Brom and Fulham sweating for a change. Watching it now. Frantic desperation.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

Nice to see West Brom and Fulham sweating for a change. Watching it now. Frantic desperation.
    They can drop points here but will need remaining 6.

I googled Bielsa to discover his age. He's 64, but his birthday is next Tuesday. Promotion would be a nice little present, wouldn't it?

Mitrovic being......himself, again. Body slams WBA player on the edge of the box. Free-kick.

Fulham have just hit the crossbar, too.

is_that_so wrote: »
    They can drop points here but will need remaining 6.
    That's a big ask for West Brom. Brentford... not so much.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,117 ✭✭✭jacool

Feels strange that them dropping 2 points doesn't mean Leeds need anything less from the last 3 games.

0:0 Poor match. Brentford rubbing their hands.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,117 ✭✭✭jacool

In other news Wigan 7-0 up at half-time. (or SEVEN as they say on the vidiprinter)
    Even if they are docked 12 points, their goal difference is miles better than anyone around them !

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement