Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Leeds United Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours 2020/2021

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,070 ✭✭✭purple hands

Bees...bees are falling apart, again

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 5,015 Mod ✭✭✭✭GoldFour4

Harrison’s loan extended for a year apparently with an option to buy. That’s a good bit of business, will save the club some cash for other acquisitions.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,062 ✭✭✭davedanon

I’m sat watching Arsenal vs Man City and not sure if I’m supposed to hate either team. Need to get the rivalry back for Premiership. I know I hate Derby, Millwall and Cardiff and quite like Wigan, Charlton and WBA. Haven’t been into Premiership football in ages. Need a two week reintroduction course to get back into the groove!

Wait until Man Yoo rock up to Elland Road. It'll come back to you.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,434 ✭✭✭Lamper.sffc

Might be a reason to dislike Chelsea as well

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,144 ✭✭✭downthemiddle

Might be a reason to dislike Chelsea as well

Nailed on for the first game of the season.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,003 ✭✭✭Carcharodon

I’m sat watching Arsenal vs Man City and not sure if I’m supposed to hate either team. Need to get the rivalry back for Premiership. I know I hate Derby, Millwall and Cardiff and quite like Wigan, Charlton and WBA. Haven’t been into Premiership football in ages. Need a two week reintroduction course to get back into the groove!

Yea, Iam the same, premiership is just a bit meh these days, I’ll watch it alright but it’s no where near like it was even a few years ago in my opinion.

I actually have a soft spot for Derby, friend of mine is a season ticket holder and I’ve been there so I ve always watched out for their results through the years.

Chelsea will be a good rivalry to get going with Lampard at the helm

Harrison’s loan extended for a year apparently with an option to buy. That’s a good bit of business, will save the club some cash for other acquisitions.

I'd kinda rather they just stumped up to buy him. At 8 million he's zero risk, he's worked his socks off for Leeds, shown no inkling of the "I'm too good for this, I must start" stuff of Nketiah. He's as much part of the Bielsa project as Phillips, Ayling, Dallas, Bamford and co.

I'd kinda rather they just stumped up to buy him. At 8 million he's zero risk, he's worked his socks off for Leeds, shown no inkling of the "I'm too good for this, I must start" stuff of Nketiah. He's as much part of the Bielsa project as Phillips, Ayling, Dallas, Bamford and co.

Yea but probably makes sense financially, able to bring in another player to help strengthen squad to help us stay in league before we sign him next year

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,816 ✭✭✭Relikk

Congratulations, Leeds! You're back where you belong.

- Man Utd fan

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,893 ✭✭✭Hijpo

Brighton fully expect to have Ben White in their squad next season.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,024 ✭✭✭10000maniacs

Is there any truth in the rumour that Brentford's Benrahma is going to Chelsea for £30 Million?
    He was a one man show for those last 8 games.
    That's the type of player we need at Leeds.

https://www.theguardian.com/football/2020/jul/18/leeds-back-premier-league-16-years-misery-mediocrity-incompetence-marcelo-bielsa

"The Leeds scum are back, but this time you might like us a bit more. Not that we care what you think anyway. When fans are allowed back, a full Elland Road, now full of pride rather than shame, might be a shock to newer fans of other teams. The Football League is a great motivator, but we aren’t going back to the mockery and the mediocrity of it. After 16 years, we are back to change the Premier League."

Embrace the slogans. We are Leeds.

Hijpo wrote: »

Yea, he is an absolute gem, standout player this year, he has so much natural ability it’s just insane, I think he could have one serious career

• Registered Users Posts: 92 ✭✭BSK

Hijpo wrote: »

I fully expect Megan Fox in me bed, we don’t all get what we want :)

The minute we are promoted they do a huge interview about Ben White haha

Couple of papers saying Bielsa signing up until 2022, at 8 million pa.

And if that's the only business Leeds do this summer, well they've addressed the single most important role...

Couple of papers saying Bielsa signing up until 2022, at 8 million pa.

And if that's the only business Leeds do this summer, well they've addressed the single most important role...

Give him whatever he wants

https://twitter.com/bradratcliffe/status/1284442191155232768

Lads. First game in God knows how many years without the slightest sense of anxiety. Not a jot.

No matter what happens today, we are Champions of this league.

No matter what happens today we are going to play in the Premier League next season.

Drink it in. Enjoy. I know I will.

"El Loco & Leeds" on Sky now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,669 ✭✭✭adaminho

https://twitter.com/LUFC/status/1284820464746016769

Really trolling Derby by having them give the reserves a guard of honour!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,320 ✭✭✭Q_Ball

I wonder what's that written on Diego's top? Looks like a list of games

• Advertisement

Right. Let's see if we can do better than the 4-0 twatting that Liverpool managed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,495 ✭✭✭✭Mushy

davedanon wrote: »
    Right. Let's see if we can do better than the 4-0 twatting that Liverpool managed.

At current rate itll be 4-0 to Leeds

Yeah, 5 efforts already. Should be ahead really.

Struijk is a good player. Doing well in midfield, considering he's a centre-back by trade.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

davedanon wrote: »
    Struijk is a good player. Doing well in midfield, considering he's a centre-back by trade.
    Yeah, dispatches have been good about him for a while. Only 20. Has height too.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,994 ✭✭✭c.p.w.g.w

is_that_so wrote: »
    Yeah, dispatches have been good about him for a while. Only 20. Has height too.

Makes a change from his game against Cardiff I think( 3-3 game)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,207 ✭✭✭maximoose

Is there any truth in the rumour that Brentford's Benrahma is going to Chelsea for £30 Million?

Phil Hay says we might be interested...

Points from his Q&A yesterday:
    Phil spoke with Angus Kinnear earlier as part of a mini press conference. Sassy Angus says the club will sit down with Bielsa next week to sort out his contract and discuss the way forward. Phil says he expects them to find common ground and that those close to Bielsa say he wants to stay. They'll just have to meet the expectations he has as usual. Like the last two years, thinks it'll be another 12-month deal.

Not expecting Leeds to offload many players. Thinks the club should bin off Casilla for all the reasons we're very aware of but otherwise thinks Bielsa will back most of the current players. Phil's looking forward to hearing from the great man after the Derby game to hear his thoughts on how the club will approach the Premier League.

Says Leeds won't be flush with cash from the outset, what with fees due for Costa, Harrison and Meslier. And maybe Augustin. That, along with bonuses to players and transfer fee add-ons which total around £20m and then the general staff all get pay rises too. But Angus has said that Leeds will look to make 4 or 5 signings. Phil says it sounds like Leeds will mainly look at domestic players and he expects us to look closely at some of the top end Championship players as people have talked about them whenever he's asked. That being said Leeds have been looking at Lucas Martinez Quarta at River Plate and San Lorenzo striker Adolfo Gaich who apparently saw a move to CSKA Moscow fall through this week, among other players in Argentina.

Augustin won't be coming back but that doesn't mean Leeds won't have to pay the money to Leipzig anyway. Leipzig are still expecting the £18m and aren't a club you can walk all over. Likely to get very messy.

He was happy to see Bielsa so happy in the celebration videos that have come out. Says he deserved this moment as much as anyone, he's infectious and you can't help but warm to him. Also says that journalistically it's been a pleasure to write about him and that he's educated them all in various ways.

There will have to be upgrades to Elland Road to meet PL standards. The media facilities will be heavily changed and there are the new floodlights too. They also need to adapt the dugouts, the sunken benches don't meet PL requirements. Expansion on the West Stand, while part of the plans, is a longer term thing. Needs Leeds to be established in the PL so won't be happening yet.

Phil afforded him the excess of a fist bump when Emile Smith-Rowe scored. Says it was a surreal moment, these games have been so tough with West Brom and Brentford hanging around but it felt good.

Says his gut feeling is that Ben White won't be back but that 'there is a lot of sport to be played in that one'. Brighton want to keep him obviously but their offers of a new contract haven't been accepted yet and they will have to seriously hike up his wage to match his ability. Leeds obviously very keen to keep him but Liverpool and Man City like him too. As much as White will know he's developed a ton this season Angus made it clear that it won't be easy to do. Says White will cost over £20m, perhaps closer to £30m. Got to realise that he's being talked about as the best young CB around and keep in mind what that means for his price tag.

Phil's been asked a couple of times again about the QSI links. Says that any time he asks about QSI people at Leeds always say it's not happening but that it's odd because Radrizzani and Al-Khelaifi have a good relationship and the rumours don't go away. Says people think it's more likely that the 49ers up their stake in the club but at the same time, would Radz want to dilute his stake having just hit the big time?

Get the **** in. That's it, just get the **** in.

Very appreciative of the comments from fans dropping in to thank him for his work over the years. Says it's a great club to cover as a journalist because there's so much going on but that the Bielsa years have been the best by far. Has really enjoyed the freedom to pursue ideas and features at the Athletic.

Leeds will look for a new CB if White doesn't come back and a ST with Augustin unwanted. Also interested in Yasser Larouci, young LB from Liverpool although at this point Leeds haven't yet been willing to meet Liverpool's valuation on him.

Thinks Leeds would be very keen on getting involved in the race for Said Benrahma. Says not to rule that out if Brentford stay down. Leeds haven't yet indicated what they'll do with Casilla but that Emiliano Martinez was mentioned to him before Bernd Leno's injury, as was Angus Gunn (a loan target in Bielsa's first summer before he signed for Southampton).

Phil also confirms that Leeds like Emi Buendia and have watched John Swift at Reading too. No certainty that they'll go in for them though, they've watched a lot of players apparently. Thinks Leeds will go for young, promising players and will also be open to loans again.

Again reiterates that Leeds will take up the options for Meslier and Harrison.

Says it's not at all likely that Milner comes home this summer. Buzzkill.

Most looking forward to scum away, Liverpool away, Bielsa vs Pep and the return of Frank Lampard next season.

Bielsa will give the players a short holiday at the end of the season but then it'll be full-on with a shorter pre-season than usual. Helps that they're coming off training/playing so they won't be as cold as they usually would at the start of pre-season.

New kit will be released soon, basically ready to go now. Photoshoots in the process of being done. If not this coming week then the one after. Will be Adidas, doesn't think it's Qatar Airways on the front. Angus Kinnear said that shirt sponsorship increases tenfold going from Championship to Premier League so Leeds will either renegotiate with 32Red or change sponsors. Suspects they will change sponsors.

Thinks Leeds will stand a chance of staying up next season because they'll go in to the Premier League and attack teams. Key question is whether Bielsa's tactics will work because he sticks with them regardless.

There will be more Athletic coverage with Leeds in the PL and more people involved in analytical and tactical coverage.

Thinks it'll be a challenge for new signings to get up to speed over a shorter pre-season but that it'll help buying players who are match fit as opposed to Augustin waiting weeks to get up to speed having not played at Monaco.

Amazon have been on the scene again. Expecting a season two of Take Us Home but with fewer episodes than season one.

@DigitalWilson has been taking a hammering from the press guys for the pre-match music during these games. Says they're all blaming him for the '****e' tunes.

The talk Bielsa gave the players after the defeat to Forest was a pivotal moment. Form since then has been better than Brentford's which is really saying something.

Dallas is his POTY but Hernandez has been sensational since the restart. Says there's a long list of candidates to be his favourite of the season. He's enjoyed watching Luke Ayling and he's delighted for Super Duper Liam Cooper because it's been a long journey for him and very difficult at times.

Phil celebrated with a few drinks last night. May have got a little teary too.

Agrees that Leeds have huge commercial potential. £50m turnover, 23,000 season tickets sold and over 100,000 shirts sold in the Championship says it all.

Gaetano Berardi will be offered a new deal but only he knows whether he'll take it but Phil asks the question whether he'll really turn down playing in the PL with Leeds.

Says he wouldn't be surprised if the boys looked a little, ahem, off colour tomorrow but says Bielsa will be back in serious Head Coach mode for the game.

Speaking of which - Bielsa told some at the club that he'd watched 19 hours of footage of Alfie McCalmont during the lockdown.

Thinks it's likely that betting sponsors will be banned as pressure is growing but that ultimately it'll be a government decision.

Thinks Eddie Nketiah will be entitled to a winners medal. The rule is that you have to have been named on 25% of teamsheets to get one, although clubs can then buy more.

In the last day or two, Phil has apparently received more sexual offers than his wife is happy about.

Says he'd guess that of the current team Cooper, Klich, Phillips, Ayling, Harrison all start the first game of next season, injuries permitting. Probably Dallas too and he suspects Bamford as well.

One final thing. He reminded us that we've witnessed history this weekend. It's history none of us will forget, Leeds United will never have another coach like Marcelo Bielsa. Enjoy these moments because we're so blessed to bear witness to them.

Apart from Berra, poor guy, everything is fine

Some lovely play I'm this game, resulting in a lovely goal for Shackleton

• Advertisement

LMAO

Shay Given?!

That was very pleasant, Pablo masterclass for Rooney

I watched some of Brentfords recent games and Benrahma is top class. £30 million is a steal. Sign him already.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,312 ✭✭✭blaa85

Orta with the binoculars! Great to watch the celebrations there, shame the fans couldn't be there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,014 ✭✭✭Eggs For Dinner

The legend that is Victor Orta

blaa85 wrote: »
    Orta with the binoculars! Great to watch the celebrations there, shame the fans couldn't be there.

Glorious!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 369 ✭✭Helium

I watched some of Brentfords recent games and Benrahma is top class. £30 million is a steal. Sign him already.
    He's brilliant in that BMW but on his own? He's more of a winger than a striker. Could deliver 15-20 goals and that would be fine if Bamford can chip in goals but the level will be way higher for both. I'd prefer to see a 20+ goalscorer targeted.

Orta is a f*cking LEDGE.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,185 ✭✭✭championc

is_that_so wrote: »
    He's brilliant in that BMW but on his own? He's more of a winger than a striker. Could deliver 15-20 goals and that would be fine if Bamford can chip in goals but the level will be way higher for both. I'd prefer to see a 20+ goalscorer targeted.

Many a half decent scorer has gone to the Prem and got nowhere.

Glad to have got the clear win today. So irrespective of the other two, we still won it outright, well and truely. Nice to get to the 90 point mark.

The totals that relegated teams will have just shows how competitive a league the Championship is.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,952 ✭✭✭funnights74

Shay Given?!

That was very pleasant, Pablo masterclass for Rooney

I lost counting the number of "nutmeg" passes he managed today :pac:

• Advertisement

I lost counting the number of "nutmeg" passes he managed today :pac:

The one through the legs into the box for Roberts...was hoping he'd just swing a shot. If it went in, what an assist

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,070 ✭✭✭✭event

So long as we can get him for 8m and no one else can bid the same, great deal. Won't be able to play vs City though

I could be wrong but I think he'll be like Knockaert in the PL. Just won't have a big impact

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 5,015 Mod ✭✭✭✭GoldFour4

Phil Hay has had some great pieces in the athletic over the last couple of days

• Registered Users Posts: 1,312 ✭✭✭blaa85

Phil Hay has had some great pieces in the athletic over the last couple of days

I'm glad I signed up this week. Well worth it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,893 ✭✭✭Hijpo

Was Orta off his box during that game? Haha

• Registered Users, Subscribers, Registered Users 2 Posts: 47,336 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

Looks like Carlos Corberan could be on his way to Huddersfield as their new manager. That'll be a bit of a blow if he goes, but it's probably too big an opportunity for him to turn down.

Zaph wrote: »
    Looks like Carlos Corberan could be on his way to Huddersfield as their new manager. That'll be a bit of a blow if he goes, but it's probably too big an opportunity for him to turn down.
    Seem to be the bookies calling it for now. I don't know though, PL sidekick v Championship boss?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,294 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kingp35

Zaph wrote: »

I think he might hang around with the hope of succeeding Bielsa. He was supposedly offered the Cultural Leonesa job last summer and turned it down.

Fingers crossed he stays.

• Registered Users Posts: 712 ✭✭✭Jimmy Two Times

If Iam being honest, I think I will miss a lot of the rawness and honesty of the championship, don’t get me wrong this is amazing and all that but the memories of the past few seasons will probably be some of the best/worst of being a Leeds fan.
    The journey is always better than the destination and what a journey it was.

Have to agree with this.

Was lucky to get to away games at Preston, Hull, Middlesboro, Huddersfield this year as well as most of the home games before the lockdown and it just seems to mean more to the fans of these clubs.

Can't put my finger on it but maybe if you're a Chelsea, Arsenal or Spurs season ticket holder,you're living in London and you've lots of other stuff going on,lots of distractions,whereas if you're in small northern town,it's a bigger part of your life and you're living for the weekend.

I know there's definitely a section of the Leeds fanbase who fall into this category. Everything revolves around the game at the weekend. Days off work preserved for the away midweek games etc. It's a way of life for many which makes it so good to see the celebrations at the weekend.

Or maybe it's just me being a Championship snob :-)

Hand on heart however, I will say that if it wasn't for the fear of losing Bielsa , Phillips and some of the other players it wouldn't have been a huge issue for me playing in the second tier again.

Hand on heart however, I will say that if it wasn't for the fear of losing Bielsa , Phillips and some of the other players it wouldn't have been a huge issue for me playing in the second tier again.

Agree fully.

Leeds have a lot more rivals in the Championship, Derby, Forest, Hull, Huddersfield, Wednesday, even Cardiff and Milwall. And though I could be accused of being stuck in the 80s, I'd regard a lot of Championship clubs as being far bigger than some of the Premier League outfits, that may have richer owners or just be better run.

But as you say, the risk of staying stuck in the Championship is seeing players and managers move on.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement