Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Leeds United Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours 2020/2021

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,062 ✭✭✭davedanon

Your posts indicate that you haven’t been a Leeds supporter long enough to learn humility, take the chest beating down a notch bro

1971, so just the 49 years. Bro.

• Registered Users, Subscribers, Registered Users 2 Posts: 47,336 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

Up to a few weeks ago I wanted Brentford to go up. I really like their style of play and Frank has done a great job with limited resources. I'm not too bothered about what he said, all managers have to talk up their teams to a certain extent, although maybe he could have done it with a touch more humility just in case they didn't go up. But it's the fans that have put me off them. The level of vitriol I've seen from them online directed at a few clubs, but Leeds in particular, makes me believe that while they may not have a huge fanbase, a significant portion of them are real assholes. There's no real history between the clubs, so I just don't know where this level of animosity is coming from, but it's enough to make me hope that their team gets dismantled during the break and they never get promoted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

Mirror linking Leeds to Stuttgart and Argentina centre-forward Nicolas Gonzalez. 15 goals in 29 games and available at about £20m.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 621 ✭✭✭Slim Charles

Can't disagree with any of this.Think in general they are a club that should be admired in the way they keep producing players and are always competitive given their size and the size of their fan base. Also think that when they move to the new stadium they will lose part of the soul of the club. Griffin Park is a lovely little ground to visit, never any issues in any of the pubs around the ground, fans are sound and even the police are grand........not as good as the Preston lads but never any hassle.

They shut their doors at the drop of a hat/start of a chant

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 621 ✭✭✭Slim Charles

Zaph wrote: »
    Up to a few weeks ago I wanted Brentford to go up. I really like their style of play and Frank has done a great job with limited resources. I'm not too bothered about what he said, all managers have to talk up their teams to a certain extent, although maybe he could have done it with a touch more humility just in case they didn't go up. But it's the fans that have put me off them. The level of vitriol I've seen from them online directed at a few clubs, but Leeds in particular, makes me believe that while they may not have a huge fanbase, a significant portion of them are real assholes. There's no real history between the clubs, so I just don't know where this level of animosity is coming from, but it's enough to make me hope that their team gets dismantled during the break and they never get promoted.

All football fans are complete assholes online to be fair, especially twitter. Whatever it is about the sport that sky or whomever has created is pretty disgusting.

• Advertisement

I think for misplaced cockiness and arrogance, one club's fans broke all records.

Leeds, 2019, and that awful "stop crying Frank Lampard" moment before Derby turned around and pretty ruthlessly shoved it down Leeds throats.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,495 ✭✭✭✭Mushy

I think for misplaced cockiness and arrogance, one club's fans broke all records.

Leeds, 2019, and that awful "stop crying Frank Lampard" moment before Derby turned around and pretty ruthlessly shoved it down Leeds throats.

Bit different for fans in all fairness, they're only invested in the thing it's not their full time job. Not like derby went on to achieve anything afterwards either.

Forshaw comment before the restart had me fearing cockiness, but at least it ended up justified.

Not sure ruthless would be the word for it, implosion, some very dumb decisions and free goals were at the heart of it. They do have a point - Frank has a habit of going on about the unfairness of things and just can't resist a mic to do so!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,070 ✭✭✭✭event

And he's continued it in the PL too

• Registered Users Posts: 1,070 ✭✭✭purple hands

He doesn't help himself by coming across as an actual crybaby. Not to mention his dismissive remarks on Raheem Sterling's comments on black managers.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,994 ✭✭✭c.p.w.g.w

He doesn't help himself by coming across as an actual crybaby. Not to mention his dismissive remarks on Raheem Sterling's comments on black managers.

Well Sterling did mention Sol Campbell...

Who has managed Macclesfield Town & Southend...And his record was far from good...

Ashley Cole has just retired and is currently at Chelsea coaching...Does Ashley have a pro-license to allow him to manage?

• Registered Users, Subscribers, Registered Users 2 Posts: 47,336 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

c.p.w.g.w wrote: »
    Well Sterling did mention Sol Campbell...

Who has managed Macclesfield Town & Southend...And his record was far from good...

Ashley Cole has just retired and is currently at Chelsea coaching...Does Ashley have a pro-license to allow him to manage?

No, he's only just started working on getting his badges, he's currently an assistant coach for the Chelsea under-15s.

Zaph wrote: »
    No, he's only just started working on getting his badges, he's currently an assistant coach for the Chelsea under-15s.

So sterling's two examples were truly awful

So sterling's two examples were truly awful

Not sure what you mean by 'awful'. Sterling was commenting on the dearth of black people in management/coaching roles. Campbell and Cole are some of the very few examples, and as we have seen, not in particularly prominent roles. Frank's mistake was to interpret a question on the subject as a personal criticism of him. When all that was required was a humble admission that white privilege was alive and well in football as well as all other facets of life, he typically chose to bloviate and justify himself, when we all know that he got the jobs at Derby and Chelsea - as a former footballer with zero managerial experience - through his family connections. He will continue this pattern of childish petulance in the forthcoming Prem season, of that I'm certain.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,144 ✭✭✭downthemiddle

davedanon wrote: »
    Not sure what you mean by 'awful'. Sterling was commenting on the dearth of black people in management/coaching roles. Campbell and Cole are spme of the very few examples, and as we have seen, not in particularly prominent roles. Frank's mistake was to interpret a question on the subject as a personal criticism of him. When all that was required was a humble admission that white privilege was alive and well in football as well as all other facets of life, he typically chose to bloviate and justify himself, when we all know that he got the jobs at Derby and Chelsea - as a former footballer with zero managerial experience - through his family connections. He will continue this pattern of childish petulance in the forthcoming Prem season, of that I'm certain.

Childish and petulant are accurate descriptions of Lampard. His recent touchline spat with Klopp reflected this. He is an individual consumed by his own self importance.
    When you contrast him with the humility of Marcelo Lampards attitude is laughable. He has achieved nothing as a manager.

Oh Frank Lampard is not nearly as good, or as intelligent, as he and the British media make out. They forgot his behaviour after 9/11, the sex tapes in Aya Napa etc.

Which made the fact that he must have wet himself laughing after the Elland Road win and that chant last season even more irritating...

Oh Frank Lampard is not nearly as good, or as intelligent, as he and the British media make out. They forgot his behaviour after 9/11, the sex tapes in Aya Napa etc.

Which made the fact that he must have wet himself laughing after the Elland Road win and that chant last season even more irritating...

But he went on to lose to Villa in the final, and then lose the Cup to Arsenal. Both of which were immensely satisfying.

To quote a certain Toon manager: I will love it, LOVE IT, if we beat them next season.

The Irish national team thread here is interesting, reacting to the news that Philips qualifies for Ireland (even if there's no indication he'd be remotely interested).

A few saying he'd be a squad player, wouldn't add much, bad at delivering set pieces, the Bielsa system suits him. I don't agree, I think he's far better than that...but on the other hand it's interesting to hear non Leeds fans assess him.

Not sure what you mean by 'awful'. Sterling was commenting on the dearth of black people in management/coaching roles. Campbell and Cole are some of the very few examples, and as we have seen, not in particularly prominent roles. Frank's mistake was to interpret a question on the subject as a personal criticism of him. When all that was required was a humble admission that white privilege was alive and well in football as well as all other facets of life, he typically chose to bloviate and justify himself, when we all know that he got the jobs at Derby and Chelsea - as a former footballer with zero managerial experience - through his family connections. He will continue this pattern of childish petulance in the forthcoming Prem season, of that I'm certain.

I understood that sterling said that Cole & Campbell had been over looked for jobs because of their skin colour...

Ashley Cole doesn't have the nessesary badges
    Sol Campbell has managed 2 clubs and been very poor...

His point would be better made if he name a couple of coaches with the nessesary badges who'd not been given the opportunities

A few saying he'd be a squad player, wouldn't add much, bad at delivering set pieces, the Bielsa system suits him. I don't agree, I think he's far better than that...but on the other hand it's interesting to hear non Leeds fans assess him.

Ha! I must check that out. Wouldn't be the first time Ireland fans didn't have a clue what they're talking about.

• Advertisement

I understood that sterling said that Cole & Campbell had been over looked for jobs because of their skin colour...

His point would be better made if he name a couple of coaches with the nessesary badges who'd not been given the opportunities

So where are all the other black coaches with the 'necessary' badges then? The Premier league is full of black players, how come they're not getting coaching jobs off the back of their careers, like Lampard, Parker and Arteta?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,893 ✭✭✭Hijpo

So where are all the other black coaches with the 'necessary' badges then? The Premier league is full of black players, how come they're not getting coaching jobs off the back of their careers, like Lampard, Parker and Arteta?

It can ONLY be systemic racism....
    This seems to be the default reason when there is lack of representation of black people in anything.

All three had the badges...I don't follow the prem really, so not sure of the black coaches in the league...but I'm sure once Cole has his badges he'll be given an opportunity...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,023 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

That's not true at all... actually did really well with Macclesfield Town, they were bottom of the league when he joined, and in terrible shape, and he saved them. Hard to judge how he did at Southend United given the state of the club when he joined (lost 7-1 before he took over), and then the league was ended because of Covid after only a few months in the job.

IMO when you see the likes of Arteta, Gerrard, Lampard, Parker, etc all high profile players then going straight into big jobs in the Prem, the Champ, or the SPL with zero experience, it's pretty weird to see that Campbell had to go down to the very very bottom of League 2 to be given a chance.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,312 ✭✭✭blaa85

Sky reporting Leeds have had two bids rejected for White, first for 18.5 million and the second at 22 million.

If that's true, they need to be realistic and cough up the 35m, he'll be worth it. No point spending 20m on unknown talent when we know what this lad can do. After Bielsa, he'll be the most important signing this summer.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,003 ✭✭✭Carcharodon

blaa85 wrote: »
    Sky reporting Leeds have had two bids rejected for White, first for 18.5 million and the second at 22 million.

If that's true, they need to be realistic and cough up the 35m, he'll be worth it. No point spending 20m on unknown talent when we know what this lad can do. After Bielsa, he'll be the most important signing this summer.

Yea, I pretty much agree, one of the most impressive center backs I’ve seen in a long time and if he keeps on going then his resale value in a few years will be double

Devils advocate, that’s a lot of our budget on one player that was fantastic but still will have to prove it in the premiership.

blaa85 wrote: »

Of course they should do everything to sign White, but don't mind them going in low. Better than Ridsdale's "what figure were you thinking...we'll double it" approach. I guess ultimately the market will dictate his worth, because no doubt other clubs will be interested.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,669 ✭✭✭adaminho

Of course they should do everything to sign White, but don't mind them going in low. Better than Ridsdale's "what figure were you thinking...we'll double it" approach. I guess ultimately the market will dictate his worth, because no doubt other clubs will be interested.

First thing I thought off was Seth Johnson! If White ends up costing us £35m fair enough but don't pony it up straight away!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,003 ✭✭✭Carcharodon

adaminho wrote: »
    First thing I thought off was Seth Johnson! If White ends up costing us £35m fair enough but don't pony it up straight away!

He really did have horrible luck with us, a fine player on his day.

• Advertisement

Wasn't that Seth Johnson story debunked?

#FreeBenWhite

• Registered Users Posts: 2,261 ✭✭✭Shlippery

Bye bye 32Red, hello Isle of Man based gambling company, SBOTop

https://www.leedsunited.com/news/club/26890/sbotop-becomes-principal-sponsor-of-leeds-united

Should see new kit soon then, I imagine

Phil HHay said Bielsas contract and the new kit is the thing being sorted this week

Couple of new kids on the way. Joe Gelhardt has signed a four-year deal and Cody Drameh is expected to complete his move by the end of this week. Busy week ahead , sponsorship deal, kits and seemingly Marcelo will sign too!

• Advertisement

Jack Harrison in for another year on loan from Man City. More good business! (spot SBOTOP on the collar of the training top)

https://www.leedsunited.com/news/team-news/26891/jack-harrison?fbclid=IwAR1QL2JP6g2kSJgoCzHyEtanG4A_e28iFwFdXGf9qjeFR_BHnb41F_YdYPI

That's a nice polo shirt

event wrote: »
    That's a nice polo shirt

Yup. Love the white/gold stripes.

is_that_so wrote: »
    Couple of new kids on the way. Joe Gelhardt has signed a four-year deal...

Wow! That's great.

I have no idea if he's any good.

It's just been so long since I read those "Leeds beat interest from Spurs, Liverpool and Everton to sign English underage international for 1 million" type stories.

Edit - I see Wigan Athletic posted the following on Leeds social media. A nice touch...

Good luck, Joe! A special talent and an exceptional young man.
    All the best to Leeds United in the Premier League

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

Shlippery wrote: »
    Jack Harrison in for another year on loan from Man City. More good business! (spot SBOTOP on the collar of the training top)

https://www.leedsunited.com/news/team-news/26891/jack-harrison?fbclid=IwAR1QL2JP6g2kSJgoCzHyEtanG4A_e28iFwFdXGf9qjeFR_BHnb41F_YdYPI

24 in a few months, never played a game for city and on to his 3rd season with Leeds on loan. You'd be leaning towards him not going to make it at City. Wonder was a permanent move discussed.

• Advertisement

24 in a few months, never played a game for city and on to his 3rd season with Leeds on loan. You'd be leaning towards him not going to make it at City. Wonder was a permanent move discussed.

Apparently we have the option at the end of the season

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,495 ✭✭✭✭Mushy

Think its similar deal to last season, option to buy at end of season exceptfor 10m this time. Just done this way again to free up some funds for other transfers. So yeah, unlikely to make it at City, but be surprised if permanent move isnt done next season

• Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 3,584 Mod ✭✭✭✭St Senan

yjf5d1.jpg

St Senan wrote: »

Not the real deal, but this cheeky snap seems like it could be it - guess they'll reveal all soon...Bielsa announcement next would be lovely, then a few fixtures..

xpxBCqs.png

Another rumour - U17 Dutch international goalkeeper Dani Van Den Heuvel has rejected a new contract at Ajax in favour of a move to Leeds. Just how many keepers does the team need?!

Piece on the required changes and thoughts on other adjustments to life in the EPL!

https://www.leedsunited.com/news/team-news/26896/jon-howe-running-to-stand-still

• Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 3,584 Mod ✭✭✭✭St Senan

5uZa7s.jpg

They're awful.

But it's only a sideshow anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,312 ✭✭✭blaa85

That can't be our 3rd kit. Still not sure on the away kit, I hope it's something different but I have seen too many pics of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,185 ✭✭✭championc

Reminder for any with memberships that today is the last day for renewals. It may be that only a small number of new memberships will become available, so if you lost your membership, it may be difficult to regain it.

At some point, you'd have to think too that the club should start thinking about ground expansion. Now would have been the perfect time to start works. Let's face it, no time will ever be a good time since ER was a sellout for almost every game last season

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement