Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Leeds United Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours 2020/2021

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,676 ✭✭✭adaminho

I see Richard Cresswell's son came on today. If that doesn't make you feel old Danny Mills son became British 1500m champion.
    https://twitter.com/robcollins2016/status/1302274032293863426

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

Claims that there is now a verbal agreement to sign Gvardiol of Dinamo Zagreb on a 5 year deal, but unconfirmed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,615 ✭✭✭The Golden Miller

Can you buy a version of the new Leeds jersey with no sponsor?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 638 ✭✭✭Private Joker

Can you buy a version of the new Leeds jersey with no sponsor?

Officially no, only the junior versions.

is_that_so wrote: »
    Claims that there is now a verbal agreement to sign Gvardiol of Dinamo Zagreb on a 5 year deal, but unconfirmed.

Lot of money for a player who has only played for his club 11 times, scoring 2 own goals, and played a few under 21 games for the national side. It seems far riskier than the other big money signings...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,218 ✭✭✭NuckChorris1

Any interest in a Leeds boards fantasy league? Wouldn't have to be for any money but if it was it'd just be a nominal amount like a tenner. I'm brutal but will actually be watching the Premiership this year so that should help a lot! Just for bragging rights here and only open to people that posted on the thread before we got promoted. Thank post if interested and I'll PM a code if there's 5 or more in. Can agree on non-fee/fee afterwards.

Lot of money for a player who has only played for his club 11 times, scoring 2 own goals, and played a few under 21 games for the national side. It seems far riskier than the other big money signings...
    True. It seems more like a future investment in someone with a whole lot of potential. £18m or so might prove cheap at the price. First team newcomers look like really good business but the possible assembly line below that is even more exciting.

• Registered Users, Subscribers, Registered Users 2 Posts: 47,343 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

Kalvin starting for England tonight. Well deserved. Interestingly though, Rice is playing as well. I would have thought he'd have been the obvious one to make way for Kalvin.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,076 ✭✭✭✭event

Whats rest of the team?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,047 ✭✭✭iseegirls

Any interest in a Leeds boards fantasy league? Wouldn't have to be for any money but if it was it'd just be a nominal amount like a tenner. I'm brutal but will actually be watching the Premiership this year so that should help a lot! Just for bragging rights here and only open to people that posted on the thread before we got promoted. Thank post if interested and I'll PM a code if there's 5 or more in. Can agree on non-fee/fee afterwards.

Will be very odd this year. First time with Leeds players in it. So not only will I not be selecting Man Utd's players (never done so for 8+ years - I just can't shout for them to do well), I now can't select any teams players that we're facing in a match week.

• Advertisement

EFL Trophy on now. Not going well for U18s, 5-0 down at HT to Accrington Stanley. Bielsa has kept the U23s home for a match against 1st team.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,183 ✭✭✭downthemiddle

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,007 ✭✭✭Carcharodon

Very competent display by Philips, looked very comfortable out there and played his role very well

No Dallas :confused:

Those teams are always a joke. Our entire back 4 should have been in there

Plus Pablo

Latest player being linked with us is Julian Draxler of PSG, according to French media. Also being reported that the bid for Josko Gvardiol has been upped to £22m plus 20% of any future sale price.

The sooner this transfer window closes the better, it's exhausting trying to keep up!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,541 ✭✭✭✭Mushy

Very competent display by Philips, looked very comfortable out there and played his role very well

Sky sports dished out a 5 rating which I feel was a bit low. Looked to get on ball and was only one willing to spread the ball wide quickly rather than continue hit Hollywood passes to the opposition

Zaph wrote: »
    Latest player being linked with us is Julian Draxler of PSG, according to French media. Also being reported that the bid for Josko Gvardiol has been upped to £22m plus 20% of any future sale price.

The sooner this transfer window closes the better, it's exhausting trying to keep up!

Not a bielsa player at all
    Mushy wrote: »
    Sky sports dished out a 5 rating which I feel was a bit low. Looked to get on ball and was only one willing to spread the ball wide quickly rather than continue hit Hollywood passes to the opposition

Hopefully he never gets picked again tbh. More rest please, doesnt need to be heading off with england all the time

Mushy wrote: »

I had a look at the player ratings in all the UK press last night. 5 seems to be about the consensus, one gave him 5.5, but none of them scored any English player particularly high. I think a 7 was the highest I saw.

event wrote: »
    Not a bielsa player at all

I agree, it's a strange one all right. Wouldn't be surprised if it came from an agent knowing that we're still looking for a couple of players using us to try get his man a better deal or a move elsewhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,312 ✭✭✭blaa85

Finally got a dispatch email yesterday for the adidas training polo and hoody. Any one get anything delivered recently able to advise how long delivery took from dispatch? Would love to have it time for the weekend!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,043 Mod ✭✭✭✭whiterebel

Ollie Watkins gone to Villa for £28M, rising to £33M with add-ons.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,207 ✭✭✭maximoose

blaa85 wrote: »
    Finally got a dispatch email yesterday for the adidas training polo and hoody. Any one get anything delivered recently able to advise how long delivery took from dispatch? Would love to have it time for the weekend!

I ordered the hoodie and it arrived in 5 days - the tracking number never worked this time though

The training gear seems to be smaller sizing compared to the jerseys, bit annoying.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,312 ✭✭✭blaa85

maximoose wrote: »
    The training gear seems to be smaller sizing compared to the jerseys, bit annoying.

That's not good! I was reading that the jerseys were very forgiving and ordered with that in mind. It might motivate me to do a bit more exercise.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,541 ✭✭✭✭Mushy

Zaph wrote: »
    I had a look at the player ratings in all the UK press last night. 5 seems to be about the consensus, one gave him 5.5, but none of them scored any English player particularly high. I think a 7 was the highest I saw.

Yeah all ratings were low, but I'd have said a 6. He was no worse than Dier anyway, did more than Rice. Just seemed overly harsh to me

blaa85 wrote: »

Dispatch on the 28th August, delivered on the 7th September.
    Dont hold your breath for the weekend

Looks like the wonderfully named 18 year old Crysencio Summerville will be the next signing for about €1m.

There's 7 of us signed up for this. Any late interest? Thank this post if you want to join.

2 days til we play Liverpool in the league. That just doesn't feel right yet. No Millwall, Cardiff, Derby, Hull et al. Will take some getting used to again.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,043 Mod ✭✭✭✭whiterebel

Yes please, I'll have it at each side of the house. Just give me a sec, I have to go and talk to the wife.......
    119147680_10157406821561039_9752030607007842_n.jpg?_nc_cat=106&_nc_sid=8bfeb9&_nc_ohc=35lwV_aWxKYAX_6f1nY&_nc_ht=scontent-lht6-1.xx&oh=06b08ba18255c69f20b7ad6be60e27e8&oe=5F7DD3F9

Phil Hay picked his first 11 that he reckons should play.
    I dont see Rodrigo or Koch starting though

Meslier

Ayling - Koch - Cooper - Dallas

Phillips

Hernandez - Klich - Rodrigo - Harrison

Bamford

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,070 ✭✭✭purple hands

Meslier

Phillips

Bamford

Yeah hard to know what'll happen with the new lads. Bielsa was slow to start Bamford, Costa, Nketiah and others, but threw Douglas in for the first match at Stoke in 2018. I'd say Koch is more likely to start instead of one of the young lads or to avoid the disruption from moving Ayling to CB.

Can't wait though. Not expecting much of a result, but something like the Arsenal cup match performance would be nice.

Meslier

Phillips

Bamford

Possibly Casey or Struijk over Koch. Agree on Rodrigo although he might get onto the bench or maybe both will!

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,297 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kingp35

I think it's a little different this time though as both Koch and Rodrigo should be reasonably up to speed fitness wise as they were both playing for their International sides. Rodrigo is already a hard working all action player.

Saying that though, I think Koch will start and Rodrigo will be on the bench.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,501 ✭✭✭PabloAndRoy

Bielsa said in his presser that both are in good shape and ready to play. He also said that right side of defence doesn't need much adapting.

I reckon Kingp35 is right, Koch to start, Rodrigo on bench.

Bielsa confirms he will be staying

"I will be working next season at Leeds United. Everything has been sorted and it is definite I will be here next season."

Are you a fan of Klopp's heavy metal football? "I've not got much culture in music so I wouldn't know." :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,947 ✭✭✭Ceist_Beag

Agreed, I think Koch instead of White will be the only change to the team that ended last season.

• Advertisement

For those not using The Athletic, Phil Hay just posted a piece on the contract, must have it written for a while. Here is the main detail and reason for the delay:

The complexity of Bielsa’s contract is no secret. In most circumstances, clubs tie managers and coaching staff to individual deals and pay them directly. At Leeds, Bielsa receives the entire budget covering his backroom team and distributes the money between them himself. He has done this at other European clubs and is said to be very generous in that respect. The cost of having Bielsa and his assistants in the dug-out at Elland Road is believed to run to around £6 million in each of the past two years, making him by some distance the most expensive manager Leeds have ever had.

A renegotiation of his deal is not simply a renegotiation with Bielsa. It covers the employment of others and is more complicated as a result. There are other specific features — such as non-disclosure agreements applying to those who work around him — and the completion of talks is always prolonged by the translation of documents from English to Spanish and back again. Bielsa has no agent and uses his brother Rafael to handle the legal technicalities, although this summer, Marcelo has dealt with much of the paperwork.

The issues that drew talks out included outlining and nailing down the media duties Bielsa will face in the Premier League. The demands on him were far lower in the EFL and Bielsa’s resistance to one-on-one interviews is such that when he came to England, he tried at first to resist the interviews Sky Sports carried out before and after live games in the Championship. Here, the Premier League is also more serious and is committed to promises made to broadcast rights holders. Leeds were willing to make further changes to their training ground at Thorp Arch but spent time ironing out the plans.

Alterations to Bielsa’s coaching team are also in the pipeline, including the appointment of a new under-23s boss to fill the gap created after Carlos Corberan left for Huddersfield Town. Leeds did not resist any of Bielsa’s demands but his signature only came once everything was in perfect black and white.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,142 ✭✭✭jacool

• Registered Users Posts: 2,263 ✭✭✭Shlippery

Christ..I can't wait for Saturday....almost surreal. Leeds v Liverpool and it not a a misc league cup fixture!

Sickening it'll be an empty stadium but still, hopefully a few surprises.. Looking forward to a few substantial meals in town!

Interesting article on the BBC
    “Spain striker Aritz Aduriz, who spent a season under Bielsa at Athletic Bilbao, credits the Argentine's coaching for the remarkable late-career blossoming that saw him score 104 of his 158 La Liga goals after the age of 30.
    "Without any doubt that's the year I improved the most as a football player, because his huge level of demand makes you perform at the highest level," says Aduriz.”
    Sort of eases my worry about Rodrigo.

Full article: https://www.bbc.com/sport/football/54072630

So like the Don in so many ways.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 5,025 Mod ✭✭✭✭GoldFour4

Radz has done an interview and said we have 35-50m of a transfer budget remaining which is good to hear.

https://www.ft.com/content/00a22bd2-2bd8-4247-8609-3c3a1e68fd27

• Advertisement

whiterebel wrote: »
    Sort of eases my worry about Rodrigo.

He is the Spain number 9. What worries? Firmino scored 9 last year and 12 the year before. It's not all about being a 20-25 goal a season striker.

Radz has done an interview and said we have 35-50m of a transfer budget remaining which is good to hear.

https://www.ft.com/content/00a22bd2-2bd8-4247-8609-3c3a1e68fd27

Good but I'd rather it wasnt said publically

He is the Spain number 9. What worries? Firmino scored 9 last year and 12 the year before. It's not all about being a 20-25 goal a season striker.

If we can get around 12-14 goals from Rodrigo it'll be a very good season for him. We'll need a good few more from midfielders

• Registered Users Posts: 2,263 ✭✭✭Shlippery

What a perfect trophy stand.

The guts of €30M for a 29 year old. And we are going to need more than 9 and whatever Bamford does. Liverpool have 2 others who score for fun, we don't.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,070 ✭✭✭purple hands

Good but I'd rather it wasnt said publically

Exactly, hardly helps with transfer negotiations. Grateful for all Radz's has done, but these puff pieces for his ego (see amazon doc too!!!) including the non-committal comment on Bielsa's 1 -year contract ("let's see where we go") are unnecessary.

Also, this scares the sh*te out of me
    The club is also seeking a so-called factoring deal — borrowing money against its future income from broadcasting rights — to raise a further £30m-£50m.

Exactly, hardly helps with transfer negotiations. Grateful for all Radz's has done, but these puff pieces for his ego (see amazon doc too!!!) including the non-committal comment on Bielsa's 1 -year contract ("let's see where we go") are unnecessary.

Of all the clubs, I think we are the last ones the financiers will allow to overstretch.

I don't think he's non-committal. He has spoken about Bielsa's age and whether he'll even want to continue. Post-Bielsa plans are at the very least being discussed. Personally reckon that if he can be persuaded to stay one more year after this it will be a great success.

whiterebel wrote: »
    The guts of €30M for a 29 year old. And we are going to need more than 9 and whatever Bamford does. Liverpool have 2 others who score for fun, we don't.

Sheffield United top scorer scored 6. Their "striker" got 2.

And they finished in the top half of the table.

Bamford and Rodrigo will waste chances. If both get double figures, I think that would go a long day way to ensuring survival.

Its the defence thats key. Bournemouth scored more than Villa and Palace yet went down. I wont be worrying about how much we score but about how Koch and Cooper adapt to the top flight. I hope Koch is quick cos there isnt a whole pile of pace in our backline

But honestly, back in the PL, cant wait for the game. Tomorrow for me is a free hit, so long as not a 4-0 or something. But next two games are Fulham and Sheffield United. I'd be hoping for 3 or 4 points on the board after these first 3, its City and Wolves then so we need something on the board as a buffer.

Expect this thread to get busier too lads, as we start to win or get a bit nasty, I am sure plenty of other clubs fans will 'visit' us here. No one wanted to know about us in the last 16 years so I sure as hell dont want to know about them now :D

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement