Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Leeds United Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours 2020/2021

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,003 ✭✭✭Carcharodon

davedanon wrote: »
    Watching their defending today, I will be hopeful.

Probably expect a backlash from City to be honest

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,495 ✭✭✭✭Mushy

Harrison can't play against citeh :(

Crap forgot that bit. Costa left Poveda right maybe? Could also do some damage

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,062 ✭✭✭davedanon

Probably expect a backlash from City to be honest

OTOH, maybe City are slightly in decline. We know their defenders aren't good enough. Maybe they'll be the same next weekend.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,070 ✭✭✭purple hands

Nice to see Koch being so solid today

Cooper was great too, looks like they could make a good partnership. Dallas was super in second half, no idea what position he was meant to be, but who cares.

Kalvin looked a little off at times again, still hope it's just the lack of preseason.

Nice cameo from Rodrigo too, he'll be even better when he knows the system. Pure Bielsa to hook him before FT :D

It's the first time I've been able to have a good look at Rodrigo. Very impressed. He tried a few things that didn't come off but it just looked as though he wasn't on the same wavelength as his teammates. Quality player though.

It's the first time I've been able to have a good look at Rodrigo. Very impressed. He tried a few things that didn't come off but it just looked as though he wasn't on the same wavelength as his teammates. Quality player though.

Yeah he was very good, when he settles in he should be a great addition

• Registered Users Posts: 1,289 ✭✭✭stryker mcqueen

Rodrigo was class today, won't score 20 goals but showed his quality today, linked the play very well which allowed Bamford to play high up the pitch

Rodrigo was class today, won't score 20 goals but showed his quality today, linked the play very well which allowed Bamford to play high up the pitch

I've been thinking about this. I don't think Bielsa envisages, or 'wants' if you like, having a 25 goal a season striker in his system. I remember people saying in Bielsa'a first season that we'd have strolled it if Chris Wood had been leading the line. I don't think that's true. Wood wouldn't have fitted into Bielsa's system. I don't think he expects his striker to score 25 goals. The system should ensure that enough chances are created, and then it's up to the individual players to make the most of those chances. Hernandez, Klich, Rodrigo, Bamford, even Dallas and Ayling. They should all chip in with goals. Having an out and out striker - think Diego Costa - who does little else but poach for goals would distort Bielsa's way of playing. And look at the reward for his loyalty to the likes of Bamford. Three games, three goals, and so much more besides.

I've been thinking about this. I don't think Bielsa envisages, or 'wants' if you like, having a 25 goal a season striker in his system. I remember people saying in Bielsa'a first season that we'd have strolled it if Chris Wood had been leading the line. I don't think that's true. Wood wouldn't have fitted into Bielsa's system. I don't think he expects his striker to score 25 goals. The system should ensure that enough chances are created, and then it's up to the individual players to make the most of those chances. Hernandez, Klich, Rodrigo, Bamford, even Dallas and Ayling. They should all chip in with goals. Having an out and out striker - think Diego Costa - who does little else but poach for goals would distort Bielsa's way of playing. And look at the reward for his loyalty to the likes of Bamford. Three games, three goals, and so much more besides.

Yea was just pointing out he looks like so much more than a Diego Costa type striker, Bamford will be the main beneficiary with rodrigo in the team

He looks like a ready-made Pablo successor to me.

• Advertisement

Only saw the MOTD highlights....

Bamford, Bamford, Bamford...that header in the first half from the edge of the box could have been one of the goals of the season. He is on fire.

Meslier. £5 million looks like a steal.

Chris Wilder. Has done great things with Sheffield United. But delighted to see him lose at home to Leeds after his drunken rant about Leeds "muppets".

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,070 ✭✭✭✭event

City will kill us i fear. Leicester beat them by sitting back a bit. Ederson will ping balls over the top of our press

• Registered Users Posts: 1,312 ✭✭✭blaa85

event wrote: »
    City will kill us i fear. Leicester beat them by sitting back a bit. Ederson will ping balls over the top of our press

They could have both Laporte and new lad Dias at CB, they will be a lot more solid at the back.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,288 ✭✭✭✭rob316

Leeds are cracking to watch, your man Dallas yesterday was outstanding I thought.

Supposedly after a Bayern midfielder, Michael Cuisance

They could...but like the Liverpool game it's a free shot for Leeds. They'll go into the game with vastly different expectations and pressures.

• Registered Users, Subscribers, Registered Users 2 Posts: 47,336 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

3-1 win for the U23s against Sunderland. Hat trick for Sam Greenwood, and a sending off a minute from time for another of the new boys, Cody Drameh, for a second yellow card. Three very well taken goals from Greenwood.

I dont think we could play City at a better time , Loads of pressure on them , Absolutely none on us.

They've hit a wobble early in the season and our fantastically disrespectful style of football could hurt them.

They did precisely the opposite. They were under pressure at the start because they sat deep. Ederson can ping away to his heart's content. We may lose, and we may lose heavily, but not the way you think it will.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,023 ✭✭✭10000maniacs

I didn't think Sheffield United would be the whipping boys this season. But its not looking good for them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

I didn't think Sheffield United would be the whipping boys this season. But its not looking good for them.
    Second season blues? They have barely spent so far, most of it on a goalkeeper. At a glance the expected strugglers are already at the bottom. Surprised at Villa so far, thought they too would be down there. Much as I like Scott Parker, Fulham could be cut adrift very fast.

is_that_so wrote: »
    S
    Much as I like Scott Parker, Fulham could be cut adrift very fast.

The poundshop Frank Lampard? Why ever so?

Who did you steal that one off ?

I'm assuming you're going to expand on that casual slur?:D He's no Lampard, temperament-wise. Like what he's trying to do and respect his honesty about what's going on. Has got some stuff right ,knows what type of football he wants to play but he's very much a work in progress as a manager. Need more of that.

Who did you steal that one off ?

The Square Ball lads. Who probably stole it off someone else.

• Advertisement

Jesus. Channel surfing and Jesse Lingard pops up on some MTV Cribs programme, showing off his trainers collection.

Someone asked earlier if Leeds would beat a top 6 side. I'm looking forward to seeing Ayling, Phillips and co. hunting down Pogba, Lingard etc. I certainly can see Leeds beating Man Utd, which is not to say it will happen, but I wouldn't be surprised.

Just sitting on a plane here that is delayed leaving Vegas and finished watching the last episode of take us home, Jesus the emotions, eyes are a bit watery, at least I am not the only one in an emotional state on the plane

I know shows like this will dictate their own narrative but what a great bunch of lads, seems like such good genuine characters all through the team, Philips is a Leeds treasure.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,218 ✭✭✭NuckChorris1

I'm assuming you're going to expand on that casual slur?:D He's no Lampard, temperament-wise. Like what he's trying to do and respect his honesty about what's going on. Has got some stuff right ,knows what type of football he wants to play but he's very much a work in progress as a manager. Need more of that.

I really liked his interview after the play-off win but that blazer/cardigan hybrid he always wins is deserving of abuse on it's own!!! Thought it was mad that their owner came out last night apologising to fans for not bringing in centre-backs and saying he's come close to signing 4 before deals collapsing for varying reasons. Can't do the current lads any favours! Cellino style comments.

I really liked his interview after the play-off win but that blazer/cardigan hybrid he always wins is deserving of abuse on it's own!!! Thought it was mad that their owner came out last night apologising to fans for not bringing in centre-backs and saying he's come close to signing 4 before deals collapsing for varying reasons. Can't do the current lads any favours! Cellino style comments.

The SQ lads also christened his strange garment 'The Blardigan'. Portmanteau of blazer and cardigan.

• Registered Users Posts: 712 ✭✭✭Jimmy Two Times

Second season blues? They have barely spent so far, most of it on a goalkeeper. At a glance the expected strugglers are already at the bottom. Surprised at Villa so far, thought they too would be down there. Much as I like Scott Parker, Fulham could be cut adrift very fast.

Spent £ 17.5 Million on Oli McBurnie last year...................we got Pat for 7 ish.

Who would you rather have in your team at this point ?

McBurnie is a small step up from Jordan Hugill.

• Advertisement

SU will struggle as teams cotton on to their overlapping centre halves and Jack O Connell is injured. They do look to be getting Brewster from Liverpool though, I think he will score plenty of goals for them

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 5,015 Mod ✭✭✭✭GoldFour4

Spent £ 17.5 Million on Oli McBurnie last year...................we got Pat for 7 ish.

The McBurnie & Watkins prices and other simliar signings are why I'm glad we stayed clear of the Championship with signings this summer. It's a good league but there is serious inflation added to player values. We paid a similiar fee for Spain's starting number 9 to what Villa have played for Watkins. We've got a Germany international for half (may be more than half) the price of what Brighton rejected for Ben White who has only played in the Championship up until now.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,922 ✭✭✭Ceist_Beag

I actually though SU were decent enough against us in the first half (I didn't get to see the second half but it sounds like we were the better team there). Their biggest failing as far as I could see was up front - Burke just doesn't look like a premier league striker. But anyway, probably enough said about them now, more about us please! :D
    Anyone expecting any late signing before the weekend? Plenty of rumours out there but hard to know which, if any, are based on any fact.

Ceist_Beag wrote: »
    I actually though SU were decent enough against us in the first half (I didn't get to see the second half but it sounds like we were the better team there). Their biggest failing as far as I could see was up front - Burke just doesn't look like a premier league striker. But anyway, probably enough said about them now, more about us please! :D
    Anyone expecting any late signing before the weekend? Plenty of rumours out there but hard to know which, if any, are based on any fact.

Bielsa said there'd be one or two I think. I'd be delighted to get in two midfielders. One central, like Cuisance as rumoured, and a wide man like Kent or James. Been a very good window so far. Dream finish would be to see Kiko out and replaced but I don't see that one happening.

Talk is that James will be kept at man u until January anyway. He certainly wont be let go if no replacement.

Go for Kent and a central one please, be very happy then. Id be expecting Kiko and Douglas to both leave, be good to get them off the wage bill tbh

Have my Polo and Training hoody arriving this week too, be good to see the quality of them

Ceist_Beag wrote: »

They were decent in that they stopped us playing the way we like to.

They had 2 good chances,the first when Ayling lost the ball in their half trying a pass to Costa meaning both were out of position and the second when Harrison tried to nip in front of Baldock on the edge of our box and was turned.

If Dallas scores that " opener " in the second half the game becomes more comfortable for us.

Thought we definitely deserved to win the game.

Happy with where we are and how we are playing. Need to be a bit slicker in possession as any time we are turned over we are exposed.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,070 ✭✭✭purple hands

Talk is that James will be kept at man u until January anyway. He certainly wont be let go if no replacement.

Go for Kent and a central one please, be very happy then. Id be expecting Kiko and Douglas to both leave, be good to get them off the wage bill tbh

Have my Polo and Training hoody arriving this week too, be good to see the quality of them

Would be a good if not great window if all that plays out. Only seen glimpses of Kent, but looks very good technically and think he'd be more versatile than James.

No point getting James or any outfield player in January...it's March/April by the time they're up to speed.

Signing getting announced anyway on basic presumption the photos are from today. Can see Orta in room with that person who handles contracts, blonde one, and somebody else beside her. Looks like it's the setting for the photos

Hard to know what happened Douglas. At one stage he was the marquee signing, the statement of intent, the "good enough to play in the Premier League" player. I'd keep him, I don't think he has done much wrong, can't imagine his wages are an issue.

Kiko should be dragged out to sea behind a trawler, it's embarrassing that he's still at the club, giving him the captaincy v Hull was bizarre.

Hoodie and jerseys (so maybe all gear) arelarge in size. I heard that the jersey was bigger than Kappa fit so I got that in a smaller size than the hoodie which would've been a tight fit last year. Fits very comfortably. The hoodie in a bigger size again is massive and going back for exchange. Lovely top and very happy, just the sizes are big which is very unusual for football stuff.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 5,015 Mod ✭✭✭✭GoldFour4

Mushy wrote: »
    Signing getting announced anyway on basic presumption the photos are from today. Can see Orta in room with that person who handles contracts, blonde one, and somebody else beside her. Looks like it's the setting for the photos

Photos are of Bryce Hosannah siging a new contract before he goes out on loan to Bradford apparently. Don't think a fee is agreed for Cuisance yet.

Photos are of Bryce Hosannah siging a new contract before he goes out on loan to Bradford apparently. Don't think a fee is agreed for Cuisance yet.

That's one way to burst a bubble

Pat has only become a golden boy in recent times, especially the last three games! He's had oodles of abuse, some of it justified, since he was bought. Players on paper are just stats. Getting them to be a better player can often be down to the club and style just as much as raw talent. Many a coach and player has failed.

Garth Crooks' team of the week!

https://www.bbc.com/sport/football/54328590

Pat has only become a golden boy in recent times, especially the last three games! He's had oodles of abuse, some of it justified, since he was bought. Players on paper are just stats. Getting them to be a better player can often be down to the club and style just as much as raw talent. Many a coach and player has failed.

Can't agree with that about Pat at all.Season before last he was never fully fit.

Last season he scored 16 and was directly responsible for 3 OGs, Luton, WBA and Barnsley.

A vital part of our promotion team not only for his goalscoring but his all round performances.He's the start of the press and you can often see when he is taken off early that the press is less effective.

Can't agree with that about Pat at all.Season before last he was never fully fit.

Last season he scored 16 and was directly responsible for 3 OGs, Luton, WBA and Barnsley.

A vital part of our promotion team not only for his goalscoring but his all round performances.He's the start of the press and you can often see when he is taken off early that the press is less effective.
    For all that he does for the team, his finishing stats are quite frustrating and he has missed some shockers. You'd still have him on the pitch every time but it's not unfair to say he's such a patchy scorer at times it puts the pressure to score on others. He could do a lot better, maybe this will be the season.

I have a sneaky feeling that Lord B was sort of unconsciously cutting his cloth to suit in the championship. He was being spoiled with the amount of chances he was getting, and so missed a fair few of them. But Bielsa loves him because of all the other stuff he does. And as a few people said, 16 goals mightn't seem a lot compared to Mitrovic, Benrahma, Watkins et al - all in the mid twenties. But who finished top of the league, eh? And who's bottom of the Prem now? His 16 goals were enough: more than enough, as we won the league by 10 points.

One thing you can't say about him is that he lacks confidence either, despite the stick he got from his own fans. Recall some of his tap-in goals. Most strikers bang it in even from a yard - just to be sure. Bamford just taps it in in a languid fashion. I think he knew he'd have to step up a level, and he has done. Apart from his goals, his workrate has been exemplary, as ever, and he's even added to his game: his stepover and burst of pace past Odoi, the little surge past a defender at the weekend that gave him a shot at goal. I have no worries about Pat.

Cuisance deal done

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,668 ✭✭✭adaminho

• Advertisement

I see a lot of talk of cantwell from Norwich too. Haven't watched much of him tbh. Anyone know if he's central or wide? Would like a wide man, not convinced by Poveda but he is young and only played a few times tbf

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement