Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Leeds United Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours 2020/2021

Comments

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,015 Mod ✭✭✭✭whiterebel

I saw it reported last night that Bielsa didn't like what he saw in the fitness test, that it would take him too long to get into shape?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,070 ✭✭✭✭event

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,062 ✭✭✭davedanon

I think the crux of this matter is Bielsa, and his ability to coach players to levels they didn't think possible. That creates a bond, and an unquestioning loyalty to the man and his methods. Bielsa can take a £5m player and make him into a £30m player. But what happens when you buy a player for £30m. Does he have 'notions'? Will he submit to Bielsa's training methods? Will he buy in? Will his body withstand the Bielsa Way?

If there's the slightest doubt there, then we are better off passing, and looking for someone else.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,003 ✭✭✭Carcharodon

davedanon wrote: »
    I think the crux of this matter is Bielsa, and his ability to coach players to levels they didn't think possible. That creates a bond, and an unquestioning loyalty to the man and his methods. Bielsa can take a £5m player and make him into a £30m player. But what happens when you buy a player for £30m. Does he have 'notions'? Will he submit to Bielsa's training methods? Will he buy in? Will his body withstand the Bielsa Way?

If there's the slightest doubt there, then we are better off passing, and looking for someone else.

I like the romanticism of that and there is some truth but in reality it is value for money and not over paying, clubs know we are a little desperate to add to the squad and will pray on this factor.
    I for one don’t want us over spending on pure ambition as we all know how that ended before, I do trust as you say that Bielsa can turn players value upwards and I think this will happen with a lot of our youth.
    Big credit to Orta and academy as it seems we have invested wisely but time will tell, it’s never a given.
    I’d be happy with one more solid player for the squad

Paper talk today is Daniel James for 25m

• Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭OutTheGap

event wrote: »
    Paper talk today is Daniel James for 25m

Looks a very limited player. Lots of pace but not much else. I think we'd be better going for Ryan Kent.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

Some thoughts from Paraag Marathe on possible new SF 49ers Leeds investment.

https://soccer.nbcsports.com/2020/10/03/san-francisco-49ers-leeds-ownership/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,495 ✭✭✭✭Mushy

Tonight's game should be fun. Think leeds can get at them, but will still lose

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,340 ✭✭✭TFBubendorfer

Mushy wrote: »
    Tonight's game should be fun. Think leeds can get at them, but will still lose

Yet another 4:3, probably to City.

• Advertisement

Well that was coming

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,893 ✭✭✭Hijpo

getting absolutely nothing from those kick outs from meslier

Mushy wrote: »
    Well that was coming

That’s an understatement...
    Jesus, we are getting an awful footballing lesson so far

• Registered Users, Subscribers, Registered Users 2 Posts: 47,336 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

Poor clearance from Cooper, but the goal has been coming

Zaph wrote: »
    Poor clearance from Cooper, but the goal has been coming

He should have left it

Ayling is getting roasted, needs some help out there, we need to make some positional changes ASAP

• Advertisement

Ayling is getting roasted, needs some help out there, we need to make some positional changes ASAP

Yep, needs to go back to 4 at the back

Playing so much better, city took the foot off the gas and we are able to play some of our own game
    Big fear now is that City will counter quick on one of our attacks as we look wide open on the break

I really don't like Roberts. He offers **** all. He's neither a winger, striker or midfielder

How was that not a foul on costa, mendy was hugging him

I really don't like Roberts. He offers **** all. He's neither a winger, striker or midfielder

Yep, he will be off at half time I think

• Advertisement

Christ should be level there. Knew could get at them, and playing well

Happy enough to be honest, able to settle down after getting played off the pitch in the first 15 mins
    We will hopefully continue to create more chances

Gooooooooooooaaaaaaaaaaaalllllllllllll!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Fully deserved too

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,893 ✭✭✭Hijpo

Ayling looks like he has heavy legs trying to get back there

Someone needs to have a chat with Davis, he is all over the place

Very happy with that result. Cracking entertainment too.

Wow, that was just fantastic, a fair result I think, would of been cruel if any team lost that
    We did so well in the second half, a lot of positives to take, Rodrigo looks to be getting better and better. Koch is settling well, team is jelling nicely.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,289 ✭✭✭stryker mcqueen

We are class
    .. Fear no team

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 33,246 CMod ✭✭✭✭ShamoBuc

Thoroughly deserving of the draw.

• Advertisement

ShamoBuc wrote: »
    Thoroughly deserving of the draw.

I thought so too. A lot of sides will be swept aside by Leeds, City deserved to leave with a point.

We are class
    .. Fear no team

By far the most entertaining, play great football too so it's not just all crazy scorelines due to poor errors. Last week was also a belter

• Closed Accounts Posts: 999 ✭✭✭NewRed2

I watched yee guys a fair bit since Bielsa took over, not because I like Leeds but because I like Bielsa. I was amazed yee didn't get promoted the season before last. But I was chuffed for yee last season.
    I'm a Liverpool fan and wasn't even remotely surprised that yee gave us a huge fight at Anfield, and yee were unlucky to walk away with a loss.
    So again no surprise with todays result. You have a genius of a manager and you've got good times ahead while he's at the club, imo.
    Enjoy it!
    We're lucky to be in a similar position ourselves.

Rennes winger Raphinha is close to signing. £17m. Strange cos they bought him for 21m last year.

5 goals and 3 assists in 22 games last year.
    Looks like Dan James isn't happening

• Registered Users Posts: 2,922 ✭✭✭Ceist_Beag

I wrote a large report on the game yesterday only for boards to fall over when I posted so the short version is, Meslier looks better and better with each game, his range of passing is superb, Phillips was clearly targeted by City and struggled with a few passes going astray which could have led to goals. He did look better in the second half. Koch looks good, Coops may have a fight to keep his place. Poveda looked exciting when he came on and Rodrigo must be worth starting now as he looked really good and Roberts was invisible in the first half.
    On the transfer front we're starting to look a bit desperate! I think we have had a brilliant transfer window so hopefully we don't tarnish it with a rushed signing.

Rennes winger Raphinha is close to signing. £17m. Strange cos they bought him for 21m last year.

I saw mention last night that Rennes might need to balance their books a bit as they've spent a good bit more than they've taken in this summer. Presumably with Covid they're a little more sensitive about about incurring losses if there's no other income coming in. And presumably Raphinha would be one of the biggest earners at the club, so getting his salary off the books would help too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,023 ✭✭✭10000maniacs

Ceist_Beag wrote: »
    I wrote a large report on the game yesterday only for boards to fall over when I posted so the short version is, Meslier looks better and better with each game, his range of passing is superb, Phillips was clearly targeted by City and struggled with a few passes going astray which could have led to goals. He did look better in the second half. Koch looks good, Coops may have a fight to keep his place. Poveda looked exciting when he came on and Rodrigo must be worth starting now as he looked really good and Roberts was invisible in the first half.
    On the transfer front we're starting to look a bit desperate! I think we have had a brilliant transfer window so hopefully we don't tarnish it with a rushed signing.

Meslier yesterday was 5/10. His distribution was poor on occasion putting City on the front foot.

Meslier yesterday was 5/10. His distribution was poor on occasion putting City on the front foot.

I missed the first 15 minutes and know he hit a bad pass for the goal but I don't remember much wrong after that? There were some really good passes when City were putting the press on I thought but I may have missed a few that went astray.

On another note, it's a pity we're not playing Man Utd any time soon!

Ceist_Beag wrote: »
    I missed the first 15 minutes and know he hit a bad pass for the goal but I don't remember much wrong after that? There were some really good passes when City were putting the press on I thought but I may have missed a few that went astray.

On another note, it's a pity we're not playing Man Utd any time soon!
    I wouldn't scoff too loudly, every team will have an "off" day in this league!

• Advertisement

is_that_so wrote: »

Oh I think the opposite.

Never miss the chance to scoff, because by the time the game rolls around things might have changed.

Cuisance to Marseille apparently. Season long loan with an option to buy.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,185 ✭✭✭championc

I'm happy we had the good sense to walk away from someone who has shown issues or potential issues with their health. We dodged a potential bullet with Roberts but we should never have signed JKA by all accounts

Oh I think the opposite.

Never miss the chance to scoff, because by the time the game rolls around things might have changed.
    I dunno. I reckon every team is going to get stuffed at least once this season.

I dunno. I reckon every team is going to get stuffed at least once this season.

Possibly, but again that makes it even more important to celebrate when you get the chance.

Like, the time to point out that Man Utd are dire, and their manager looks like a 12 year old who doesn't understand what's happening, while Phillips will hunt down and destroy Pogba, is now. It's not as if, well if Leeds fans are nice, they'll be nice...so we should hold fire on the off chance they win.

Plus, they won't. They are utterly useless. A laughing stock of a team.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,023 ✭✭✭10000maniacs

Villa carried out Bielsa's game plan that we used on Liverpool but refined it. At least teams know how to beat Liverpool now. They are a one trick pony if you can counteract the intensive pressing.

• Advertisement

Man Utd get stuffed 6-1 at home and a Leeds fan says "don't laugh lads"? 2020 is certainly a year like no other!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,207 ✭✭✭maximoose

Villa carried out Bielsa's game plan that we used on Liverpool but refined it. At least teams know how to beat Liverpool now. They are a one trick pony if you can counteract the intensive pressing.

They look a bit shaky. I wouldnt be saying they are a one trick pony. Joe Gomez is poor this year and they were missing their keeper who is key to the way they play.

They should thrown the Irish kid in, that Adrian lad is terrible

• Registered Users Posts: 712 ✭✭✭Jimmy Two Times

Despite surviving relegation by a dodgy set of goal line cameras and a faulty referees watch , Villa look far better this season.

Cash, Watkins and Barkley are really,really good signings,they have a decent keeper now and Grealish has signed the long term contract to keep him fully focused.

We play them after Wolves I think, could be a cracking game.

As far Saturday, just glad City had neither Aguero or Jesus available. With all the possession they had at the start, with a proper forward they may well have scored a couple more.

Speaks volumes for us that we had 7 on target and they only had 2. Loving the way we are playing so far this season. So much more enjoyable to watch than trying to break down a team with 11 behind the ball.

Just so sad that we can't be there to see it properly.Imagine the atmosphere in the ground when we were on top and equalised.

Hope we can get another central midfielder in. Phillips will miss a few games this year, through suspension or injury he always does. And last year white stepped in. Koch looks good but dont know if he can do that.

But if we dont and we get this winger in, I'll be happy. I think the Domestic window is still open after today. Wonder would someone like Lewis Cook fit in with us?

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement