Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Leeds United Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours 2020/2021

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,434 ✭✭✭Lamper.sffc

event wrote: »
    November

Leicester - 1pt
    Palace - 3pt
    Arsenal - 0pt
    Everton - 0pt

December

Chelsea - 1pt
    West ham - 1pt
    Newcastle - 3pt
    Man u - 0pt
    Burnley - 3pt
    West brom - 3pt

We could have 25 points after 13 games. Basing those results on how teams are playing now.
    I'll get slated for man u i know. But don't see us winning 3 in a row and unbeaten in December

Id be more worried about teams like Crystal Palace, West ham, Leicester and Burnley than a lot of the so called bigger teams.

These guys are more likely to sit back and hit us on the counter attack. It has proven a good tactic against us in previous games.

What wolves did was impressive. They didnt take us lightly and treated us like we are a well established top flight team. It worked for them and they got 3 points.

Bielsa has a very simple talent that is largely overlooked these days.

He improves players. In fact he transforms them.

We live in an age of "if it's broken, throw it out, buy new" and it seems to have worked its way into football now. Your striker doesn't score enough? Buy another. Success and failure seems to be measured in how new players fare rather than how existing players improve.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,614 ✭✭✭The Golden Miller

We live in an age of "if it's broken, throw it out, buy new" and it seems to have worked its way into football now. Your striker doesn't score enough? Buy another. Success and failure seems to be measured in how new players fare rather than how existing players improve.

His Athletic team played nice ball too. Improved that whole team. He makes the whole greater than the sum of the parts.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 940 ✭✭✭GHOST MGG

I gotta give it to leeds tonight..you were the stronger team by a mile and villa were shocking
    It stood out a mile that leeds wanted it more and the tactic of overloading the wing worked really well for you.
    Till next time good luck

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,668 ✭✭✭adaminho

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,289 ✭✭✭stryker mcqueen

On a side note.... Can klich please take all the corners from now on, we actually beat the 1st man

• Registered Users Posts: 2,434 ✭✭✭Lamper.sffc

Its a simple thing but important like you said. Take average championship players and make them promotion quality. Get promotion and hold your own with a bit of added quality.

What could this Leeds team become if he stays for the next few seasons?

Like Pep said, he is the best manager in the world.
    If we give him the support and backing, he could finally show the rest what we already know (and Pep)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,003 ✭✭✭Carcharodon

Just watched the extended highlights, that was really gratifying especially since Some sections of Villa have been quick with the digs in our recent history
    First half looked relatively even but we mailed them in the second half, it was a joy to watch and my god Bamford, granted some terrible defending but he took every goal well, he riding sky high right now

Bamford for an England call up ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,495 ✭✭✭✭Mushy

Still on a high after it. Was nervy after grealish almost opened scoring with that long run, but after that it just became a one way flow of total domination!

Some great performances in there too. Meslier kept them in game and distribution was great, Ayling was everywhere, Harrison was vastly improved from Monday and just kept going at Cash. Koch is turning out to be a steal, Dallas and Alioski were solid, Rodrigo not in a preferred position is still adapting well, klich solid throughout.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,994 ✭✭✭c.p.w.g.w

Mushy wrote: »
    Still on a high after it. Was nervy after grealish almost opened scoring with that long run, but after that it just became a one way flow of total domination!

Some great performances in there too. Meslier kept them in game and distribution was great, Ayling was everywhere, Harrison was vastly improved from Monday and just kept going at Cash. Koch is turning out to be a steal, Dallas and Alioski were solid, Rodrigo not in a preferred position is still adapting well, klich solid throughout.

Shakelton played very well after he came on too ...was really impressed

• Advertisement

c.p.w.g.w wrote: »
    Shakelton played very well after he came on too ...was really impressed

How could I forget him? Great energy, got through a huge amount of work

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,014 ✭✭✭Eggs For Dinner

Grealish had 2 chances to lay the ball off to a player who was in a better position when he went on that run. Thank God for his ego that he wanted the glory

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,496 ✭✭✭quarryman

The significance of last night's result was huge.

Up to now we've beaten 2 weaker sides, held City and put up a real fight against Liverpool.

But last night was a comprehensive battering of a side that were flying high. They could have gone top of the league and we firmly put them back in their box.

Leeds are third, THIRD in the Premier League after all these years waiting. I'll be happy to stay up this season. But it's safe to say we really are back, properly back amongst the elite. And not looking out of place.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,070 ✭✭✭✭event

Even now I am worried if he leaves. Cant see this group of players performing like this for another manager

• Registered Users, Subscribers, Registered Users 2 Posts: 47,336 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

Even now I am worried if he leaves. Cant see this group of players performing like this for another manager

I saw Phil Hay (I think) tweeting the other day that even though Bielsa only has a contract to the end of the season, he said he enjoys coaching in England and may be happy to stay on for another while. Neil Warnock is 71 and Roy Hodgson is 73, so at 65 there's nothing to say that MB can't keep going for a few years yet. I'm guessing that when he does go it'll be on his own terms though, but knowing what we know about him there's no suggestion that he'll ever get fed up with football. But you're right, I'm also worried about what will happen to the team when he's no longer there, but in the meantime we'll enjoy every minute of it.

Not happy. I bought one of the training tops, think they are class. I have worn it about twice, hasnt been washed yet. I now see the white sponsor is peeling off. This is really poor and they werent cheap. Might email the superstore and see what they say.

Not happy. I bought one of the training tops, think they are class. I have worn it about twice, hasnt been washed yet. I now see the white sponsor is peeling off. This is really poor and they werent cheap. Might email the superstore and see what they say.

Definitely email them. I just wish the training gear was sponsorless, be that bit nicer

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,003 ✭✭✭Carcharodon

Don’t say that, I just started wearing the new stuff I got, one training top also.
    I had a ton of the Kappa gear and it was so good, quality product from the jerseys to training tips to pollo shirts. I even got a few tops for a couple of Mexican guys I work with cos they liked them so much

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,023 ✭✭✭10000maniacs

One of the turning points in the Villa game was Bielsa taking off Strujik. I really don't trust his temperament.
    Strujik has cost us in a lot of important games. The Cardiff 3:3 debacle last season for one.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,185 ✭✭✭championc

Struijk being tested by being included in the first 11 of the u23's playing now. Strong squad, 2-0 up on Norwich

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

One of the turning points in the Villa game was Bielsa taking off Strujik. I really don't trust his temperament.
    Strujik has cost us in a lot of important games. The Cardiff 3:3 debacle last season for one.
    He's 21! Give it time.

Struijk being tested by being included in the first 11 of the u23's playing now. Strong squad, 2-0 up on Norwich

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

championc wrote: »

He played on the wing in that match! Interesting experiment and he played well enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,289 ✭✭✭stryker mcqueen

Looks a solid prospect to me, only played a handful of games so far and impressed at the end of last season, can forgive him the Cardiff performance with hindsight. Too early to write him off

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,905 ✭✭✭Seathrun66

Nice to see so many teams obliging us with draws over the past ten days. Long may it continue.

Looking back over the first six games I've got to say that I'm disappointed we're only on 10 points. Possibly could have drawn v Liverpool but they were the better team. However I thought our performances against Man City and Wolves merited six points despite a scary first 25 minutes against the former and lethargic second half against the latter.

Leicester at home and Palace away will hopefully net us six points. We're better than both, we have more time to rest and our morale is sky-high. MOT.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,014 ✭✭✭Eggs For Dinner

is_that_so wrote: »
    He played on the wing in that match! Interesting experiment and he played well enough.

Thought he was poor and disinterested in the 1st half. Improved in the 2nd

The pace of Vardy worries me for next week

Seathrun66 wrote: »
    Looking back over the first six games I've got to say that I'm disappointed we're only on 10 points. Possibly could have drawn v Liverpool but they were the better team. However I thought our performances against Man City and Wolves merited six points despite a scary first 25 minutes against the former and lethargic second half against the latter.

Leeds could be a point or 2 better off.

But remember all the worries of 2 months ago. Leeds were going up without the star defender, Ben White. And with no out and out striker, apart from a £6 or £7 million pound player who was known for working hard...but missing chances. That was a real problem in 2 crucial positions, so Hernandez and others would have to step up yet again. And we had no idea if Philips, Dallas, Ayling and co. could actually step up.

I think it's been remarkable. Players like Koch and Rodrigo have slotted in and made everything forget the loss of White and Hernandez. The £5 million pound keeper looks like the best shot stopper around. All of the players have stepped up with ease, in fact some like Bamford, Costa and Harrison look more comfortable at this level. They haven't even really unleashed Raphinha and Llorente. And the club is 3 points off the top, with games against Liverpool and Man City behind them...after going toe to toe with each.

I don't think it could have gone much better.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,893 ✭✭✭Hijpo

Leeds could be a point or 2 better off.

But remember all the worries of 2 months ago. Leeds were going up without the star defender, Ben White. And with no out and out striker, apart from a £6 or £7 million pound player who was known for working hard...but missing chances. That was a real problem in 2 crucial positions, so Hernandez and others would have to step up yet again. And we had no idea if Philips, Dallas, Ayling and co. could actually step up.

I think it's been remarkable. Players like Koch and Rodrigo have slotted in and made everything forget the loss of White and Hernandez. The £5 million pound keeper looks like the best shot stopper around. All of the players have stepped up with ease, in fact some like Bamford, Costa and Harrison look more comfortable at this level. They haven't even really unleashed Raphinha and Llorente. And the club is 3 points off the top, with games against Liverpool and Man City behind them...after going toe to toe with each.

I don't think it could have gone much better.

And to top it off we are not in a position where we need to cash in on talent or players wanting to leave.

I get a feeling that there is a massive psychological change at leeds under MB, not only in how we play but attracting the right player. Could you see the likes of Pogba busting his ass in murder ball? Not a chance! We have a culture in place now where Leeds picks you and sets you a challenge, you know the challenge is 120% every game. You either jump at the chance and push yourself, earn the right to say you can play to Leeds intensity or you bottle it and say it's not for me. Worst case scenario Leeds dodge a bullet, best case scenario you get a player willing to buy into anything you throw at them to prove they can play under MB.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,331 ✭✭✭Keyzer

Nice to see so many teams obliging us with draws over the past ten days. Long may it continue.

Leicester at home and Palace away will hopefully net us six points. We're better than both, we have more time to rest and our morale is sky-high. MOT.

We're only 6 games in and we've got 10 pts from a possible 18, Everton (who are top) are on 13. While I see your point, I think you're being a bit unrealistic in terms of your expectations.

Sheff Utd, who had a stormer last season, are in the bottom three and can't buy a win. Fulham are bottom and, on current form, they are going straight back down.

I am absolutely delighted with the outcome from the first 6 games. 5th in the league, playing well with a raft of new players who will only improve under Bielsa.

If we survive this season and stay up I'll be over the moon. Anything more is icing on the cake. Perhaps I should expect more but, after 16 years of absolute ****e, I'll settle for now.

It's amazing to see almost everyone with the seasons' aspiration of just staying up. Somehow, I think MB wants far more. Can you imagine Leeds qualifying for the Europa League ????

championc wrote: »
    It's amazing to see almost everyone with the seasons' aspiration of just staying up. Somehow, I think MB wants far more. Can you imagine Leeds qualifying for the Europa League ????

There's such a gulf between the resources of a newly promoted Championship club and a Premier League club, that survival in season one has to be the only sensible ambition. Obviously you can have the likes of Wolves or Sheffield United doing wonders in their first season up, but it's more likely you'll see a team go straight back down. Leeds have recruited probably better than almost any newly promoted team in the last 10-15 years has, but again that's with the aim of finishing at least 17th. Everything above that is a bonus. I've no doubt that MB has greater ambitions than that, but I also think he's realistic enough to know that such ambitions are for season two and beyond. It would be incredible to qualify for Europe, but I think most fans realise we have to know how to walk before we can run.

I'm sure that MB himself has been a big draw in luring players to stay and join. A huge plus has been the fact that the spine of this team is intact, and some now in their third or more seasons with the club. Some clubs stay up in year one but then break the spine trying to tweak things and end up going backwards.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,922 ✭✭✭Ceist_Beag

I don't think there is anything wrong with saying our first ambition this season is to stay up. God knows it took us long enough to get back to the Premier League so it should be an obvious aspiration. I don't know if many people are saying that is our only hope for the season. Who knows what might happen - certainly our start has been very encouraging so we may well be aiming for a higher finish come December. I do think it is slightly arrogant to claim that we are better than Wolves, Leicester and Crystal Palace as one poster has claimed in recent posts. We have absolutely no basis for any such claim on the basis of our first 6 games (and it should be pointed out that Leicester are ahead of us too!).
    Personally I am optimistic that relegation won't be a topic of discussion for the second half of the season and anything after that is a bonus for me in our first season back.

Keyzer wrote: »
    We're only 6 games in and we've got 10 pts from a possible 18, Everton (who are top) are on 13. While I see your point, I think you're being a bit unrealistic in terms of your expectations.

Sheff Utd, who had a stormer last season, are in the bottom three and can't buy a win. Fulham are bottom and, on current form, they are going straight back down.

I am absolutely delighted with the outcome from the first 6 games. 5th in the league, playing well with a raft of new players who will only improve under Bielsa.

If we survive this season and stay up I'll be over the moon. Anything more is icing on the cake. Perhaps I should expect more but, after 16 years of absolute ****e, I'll settle for now.

I never even countenanced the possibility of relegation. I understand the pitfalls of the team and fans being cocky but we came out of a very tough division with a team that was already stronger than 7/8 teams in the PL. Fulham, West Brom, Burnley, Brighton, Newcastle, West Ham, Villa, Sheffield United,Palace and possibly others are very mediocre footballing sides.

Since promotion we're the fifth highest transfer window spenders in Europe (only Chelsea, Man City, Barca & Juve above us, Football 365 & Transfermarkt figures)) and the only one of the top ten not to offload significant players.

We have one of the top managers on the planet and a team that is possibly the fittest in the division. The on-field and off-field team at Elland Road are not planning for survival. Nor mid-table. They're aiming for European football at the end of the season and it's within our grasp if we continue in this form. Our possession percentages in the first six games (BBC figures) are 51, 50, 64, 52, 68 and 59, an average of 57.3%. It's difficult to see that average dropping against any of our opponents and Rodrigo, Raphinha and others will be contributing more goals as the season goes on.

If it all goes wrong we'll still easily survive but I think some more optimism wouldn't go amiss. MOT.

• Advertisement

Zaph wrote: »
    There's such a gulf between the resources of a newly promoted Championship club and a Premier League club, that survival in season one has to be the only sensible ambition. Obviously you can have the likes of Wolves or Sheffield United doing wonders in their first season up, but it's more likely you'll see a team go straight back down. Leeds have recruited probably better than almost any newly promoted team in the last 10-15 years has, but again that's with the aim of finishing at least 17th. Everything above that is a bonus. I've no doubt that MB has greater ambitions than that, but I also think he's realistic enough to know that such ambitions are for season two and beyond. It would be incredible to qualify for Europe, but I think most fans realise we have to know how to walk before we can run.

I beg to differ. We're the fifth highest spending club in Europe this Summer and we've not offloaded anyone. We have the resources, £170m on arrival in the PL, Italian cash, £1m per TV game (we're likely to feature in close to 25, already chosen for the first 7) and San Francisco 49s want to invest much more cash. They ain't short of it either.

http://https://www.football365.com/news/top-ten-biggest-transfer-spenders-chelsea-man-city-leeds-arsenal-man-utd

I beg to differ. We're the fifth highest spending club in Europe this Summer and we've not offloaded anyone. We have the resources, £170m on arrival in the PL, Italian cash, £1m per TV game (we're likely to feature in close to 25, already chosen for the first 7) and San Francisco 49s want to invest much more cash. They ain't short of it either.

http://https://www.football365.com/news/top-ten-biggest-transfer-spenders-chelsea-man-city-leeds-arsenal-man-utd

There was a great article in The Athletic regarding how leeds financed their transfers. While the headline figures for signings are known, they only spent a small fraction of it so far (think said like 3m, but could be 13m). Its all incentives so if relegation did happen, those headline figures wont be reached. And it was done while budgeting for a 17th place finish. A promoted club will have far less funds than a team not promoted, unless they've backers to make up the difference in tv money.

All the signs are good though, just want to get to a good points total asap then confidence will kick in

The on-field and off-field team at Elland Road are not planning for survival. Nor mid-table. They're aiming for European football at the end of the season and it's within our grasp if we continue in this form. .

I dont believe Radrizanni is aiming for Europe this year. And if he is, he's a fool.

The Europe league is a load of sh1te and not worth the hassle. Too many teams go in to it and struggle domestically. And not with quality but with size of squad.
    MB likes a small squad and that wouldn't cope with the EL IMO.

Why are we so quick to aim for Europe? Have the last 16 years taught us no patience at all. I've no interest in the EL, FA cups or the Carling Cup. Feck them all, league and survival is most important

Also, you're reading that wrong. We haven't been chosen for the first 7. Every game has been on TV with lockdown.

Of course we get a lot of extra cash just by getting promoted, but it's naive in the extreme to believe that we would have more resources available than a team that's already been in the PL for even a season or two already. The one additional benefit for Leeds is that commercial revenue from merchandise etc., would most likely be significantly higher than the likes of Burnley or Brighton, even without promotion. As Mushy pointed out, The Athletic article gives a very good breakdown of where the funds are coming from and how they have been spent. Worth also pointing out that the £170m figure you mention is really more like £100m, with the remainder being parachute payments should a team be relegated immediately.

• Advertisement

There was a great article in The Athletic regarding how leeds financed their transfers. While the headline figures for signings are known, they only spent a small fraction of it so far (think said like 3m, but could be 13m). Its all incentives so if relegation did happen, those headline figures wont be reached. And it was done while budgeting for a 17th place finish. A promoted club will have far less funds than a team not promoted, unless they've backers to make up the difference in tv money.

All the signs are good though, just want to get to a good points total asap then confidence will kick in

Not the case with Leeds. 40,000 stadium with season tickets sold out and major national and international merchandising sales. In excess of half the PL teams given the pulling power of the club. Fulham, Sheff Utd & Brighton don't sell many shirts in Asia.

Lower wage bill than most PL clubs yet the same annual PL money - £170m. SBOTOP, Adidas, Clipper & JD Sports sponsorship. Extra TV money will be approx £25m this season. We'll be on a lot as this run will continue. Even if we fall apart the TV companies will pay to see us get hammered by Liverpool or MU. Liverpool v Leeds will always draw a bigger audience than Liverpool v Villa/West Brom/Palace/random.

Radrizanni is putting in cash. And the San Francisco 49s have put it on the record that they want to invest more.

We've outspent every PL club bar Man City and Chelsea this Summer. We've outspent Inter Milan, Atletico Madrid, Bayern Munich, Benfica, PSG, Real Madrid and many others. We are far from the level of the above, and we may fall flat on our faces in two months but I don't believe so. Retaining MB is key but if he's here for another 2/3 years and a similar successor is in place then this team could match those referred to in the next five years.

I dont believe Radrizanni is aiming for Europe this year. And if he is, he's a fool.

The Europe league is a load of sh1te and not worth the hassle. Too many teams go in to it and struggle domestically. And not with quality but with size of squad.
    MB likes a small squad and that wouldn't cope with the EL IMO.

Why are we so quick to aim for Europe? Have the last 16 years taught us no patience at all. I've no interest in the EL, FA cups or the Carling Cup. Feck them all, league and survival is most important

Europe I said, clearly meaning European football. This is the Champions League and the Europa Cup (there is no Europe League). The former obviously better but the latter would prepare us for the CL in future years.

This Leeds team and management are aiming for a top six finish. Anyone who thinks that they're aiming solely to survive hasn't taken on board the type of people running the club.

We have a first team squad of 27, MB has ditched the small squad idea this year. We also have numerous u-23s capable of being called up.

Also, you're reading that wrong. We haven't been chosen for the first 7. Every game has been on TV with lockdown.

Chosen for the first five before the lockdown agreement to show all. We're a big pull.

Zaph wrote: »
    Of course we get a lot of extra cash just by getting promoted, but it's naive in the extreme to believe that we would have more resources available than a team that's already been in the PL for even a season or two already. The one additional benefit for Leeds is that commercial revenue from merchandise etc., would most likely be significantly higher than the likes of Burnley or Brighton, even without promotion. As Mushy pointed out, The Athletic article gives a very good breakdown of where the funds are coming from and how they have been spent. Worth also pointing out that the £170m figure you mention is really more like £100m, with the remainder being parachute payments should a team be relegated immediately.

Naive. Really? I think you need to cheeck out the financial realities of a cash-rich club.

We're getting the same PL cash as the other 19 teams but with a lower wage bill than most. Many player are still on Championship or enhanced-Championship contracts (hat will change next year).

Our season tickets have sold out.

Shirts are difficult to track down. The merchandise is selling.

Adidas, SBOTOP, Clipper and JD Sports are paying full whack for their involvement.

Radrizzani has cash. The San Francisco 49ers have more and as soon as retention of PL status looks assured watch them move for an increased share in the club. They don't want QSI getting in ahead of them.

The money is there but it's being downplayed at the moment as we don't want clubs holding us to ransom when we seek their players. That will all change by next Summer.

Not the case with Leeds. 40,000 stadium with season tickets sold out and major national and international merchandising sales. In excess of half the PL teams given the pulling power of the club. Fulham, Sheff Utd & Brighton don't sell many shirts in Asia.

Lower wage bill than most PL clubs yet the same annual PL money - £170m. SBOTOP, Adidas, Clipper & JD Sports sponsorship. Extra TV money will be approx £25m this season. We'll be on a lot as this run will continue. Even if we fall apart the TV companies will pay to see us get hammered by Liverpool or MU. Liverpool v Leeds will always draw a bigger audience than Liverpool v Villa/West Brom/Palace/random.

Radrizanni is putting in cash. And the San Francisco 49s have put it on the record that they want to invest more.

We've outspent every PL club bar Man City and Chelsea this Summer. We've outspent Inter Milan, Atletico Madrid, Bayern Munich, Benfica, PSG, Real Madrid and many others. We are far from the level of the above, and we may fall flat on our faces in two months but I don't believe so. Retaining MB is key but if he's here for another 2/3 years and a similar successor is in place then this team could match those referred to in the next five years.

Yeah but teams who have been up there for a year or 2, they will have access to all that huge tv money for far longer. Yeah Leeds will strip past them quickly with everything you've mentioned, but the club still budgeted for 17th. Nuts that that includes getting a Spanish international striker and german international defender, with some others close to making it. Be in for Messi soon!

As an aside to this, but similar line, if leeds come far enough above 17th where they get extra millions, it could effectively pay for Harrison transfer alone. That could turn out to be an absolute steal of a deal!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,328 ✭✭✭Mezcita

Naive. Really? I think you need to cheeck out the financial realities of a cash-rich club.

We're getting the same PL cash as the other 19 teams but with a lower wage bill than most. Many player are still on Championship or enhanced-Championship contracts (hat will change next year).

Our season tickets have sold out.

Shirts are difficult to track down. The merchandise is selling.

Adidas, SBOTOP, Clipper and JD Sports are paying full whack for their involvement.

Radrizzani has cash. The San Francisco 49ers have more and as soon as retention of PL status looks assured watch them move for an increased share in the club. They don't want QSI getting in ahead of them.

The money is there but it's being downplayed at the moment as we don't want clubs holding us to ransom when we seek their players. That will all change by next Summer.

You're incorrect on a few things there. Phil Hay mentioned on his podcast that the wage bill has already doubled since last season based on promotion bonuses which were written into the players contracts. As well as the cost of bring in big hitters like Rodrigo. It doesn't make sense that the wage bill would not change until next year.

Those season tickets would have to be refunded if the stadium remains closed since people are not getting the product they paid for. Club is already offering a pro rata refund here. Angus Kinnear mentioned in the second series of the Amazon documentary 'Take Us Home' that effectively having no fans at home games costs us £1m of turnover per game.

So while we're not poor on the face of you would have to think that most clubs are keeping a very close eye on their long term finances given the current financial climate. The product has fundamentally changed with some of these games now seeming like training matches without the fans being in place.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,041 ✭✭✭iseegirls

Chosen for the first five before the lockdown agreement to show all. We're a big pull.

The Leeds v Fulham match remained at 3pm on a Saturday. It wouldn't have been picked by BT or Sky if there was no such agreement in place to show all games live at the time.

Yeah but teams who have been up there for a year or 2, they will have access to all that huge tv money for far longer. Yeah Leeds will strip past them quickly with everything you've mentioned, but the club still budgeted for 17th. Nuts that that includes getting a Spanish international striker and german international defender, with some others close to making it. Be in for Messi soon!

As an aside to this, but similar line, if leeds come far enough above 17th where they get extra millions, it could effectively pay for Harrison transfer alone. That could turn out to be an absolute steal of a deal!

Leeds have more money available this year than than they will for next as the wage bill will greatly increase as major teams come after our players and we have to pay heavily to retain them. All changes of course if big SF 49ers or QSI money comes in.

They're telling us they budgeted for 17th to downplay expectations. You don't spend more than Real Madrid, Manchester United & Inter Milan and expect to finish close to the bottom. Radrizzani did the same in terms of expectations when he said we had £35m to £50m to spend on transfers so we wouldn't get held to ransom for players. We ended up spending £105m.

And I absolutely agree re Harrison. Plus Koch, Rodrigo, Meislier, Raphinha, Lllorente, Greenwood, Gelhardt & Allen. The club business has been extraordinary.

Not a bad time to be a fan Mushy.

Mezcita wrote: »
    You're incorrect on a few things there. Phil Hay mentioned on his podcast that the wage bill has already doubled since last season based on promotion bonuses which were written into the players contracts. As well as the cost of bring in big hitters like Rodrigo. It doesn't make sense that the wage bill would not change until next year.

Those season tickets would have to be refunded if the stadium remains closed since people are not getting the product they paid for. Club is already offering a pro rata refund here. Angus Kinnear mentioned in the second series of the Amazon documentary 'Take Us Home' that effectively having no fans at home games costs us £1m of turnover per game.

So while we're not poor on the face of you would have to think that most clubs are keeping a very close eye on their long term finances given the current financial climate. The product has fundamentally changed with some of these games now seeming like training matches without the fans being in place.

Wage bill still lower than the majority of PL clubs. It will increase greatly next season as our players shine and big clubs come after them. Meslier on £20k pw, Poveda £10k, Shackleton £15k and only two players about £60k pw (Costa & Rodrigo). I'd expect news of extended contracts to start in Jan/Feb as we secure our PL status and we start warding off interest.

We're a rich club, though it's being downplayed. We've already seen how Brighton and Udinese raised their prices for White and De Paul as negotiations continued and they realised how much cash we actually had. That will worsen next Summer, all selling clubs will hike their prices as we approach. We also cannot convince international players, experienced agents and prestigious clubs to allow players to come to us if there's any fear we'll run out of cash to pay them. The money is there.

Gate money is a huge loss but the increased TV money, increased merchandising and likely high league position will more than cover it. They'll have budgeted for the worst case scenario. Fans get back into the stadium in the new year and any takings will be a bonus.

We also have the option of becoming even richer by allowing the SF 49ers to increase their investment or allow QSI in.

iseegirls wrote: »
    The Leeds v Fulham match remained at 3pm on a Saturday. It wouldn't have been picked by BT or Sky if there was no such agreement in place to show all games live at the time.

Why not, when the times of most games are being shuffled around?

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement