Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Leeds United Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours 2020/2021

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,911 ✭✭✭Seathrun66

Bookies have us at 5/1 and 6/1 to win a two-horse race v Chelsea. Nice to be underestimated again and I fancy us to beat them. It's effectively a neutral game, we're hitting form, their manager reacts badly to pressure, they're ill-disciplined and have not been overly impressive this season.

I'd take a draw now but I've seen enough chinks there for us to get through them at will. 1-2 to Leeds.

Very kind of Leicester to drop three points, a draw between Villa & WHU would be the icing on a great weekend.

Hopefully we'll go on a solid run in December and end it in the top six. That doesn't mean we'll retain that position but I only see 4/5 teams that are currently better than us and that I worry about playing. I forecast 7th/8th at the start of the season and nothing thus far (bar the Palace aberration) has lead me to think otherwise.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,289 ✭✭✭stryker mcqueen

Seathrun66 wrote: »
    Bookies have us at 5/1 and 6/1 to win a two-horse race v Chelsea. Nice to be underestimated again and I fancy us to beat them. It's effectively a neutral game, we're hitting form, their manager reacts badly to pressure, they're ill-disciplined and have not been overly impressive this season.

I'd take a draw now but I've seen enough chinks there for us to get through them at will. 1-2 to Leeds.

I would snap your arm off for a draw... Chelsea are playing very well at the moment.

It'll be interesting to see if spygate gets brought up again

Watched the BBC documentary earlier about John Terry and the vile racist abuse he directed at Anton Ferdinand.

And you think of his club, the next opponents, Chelsea. But of course Terry has no ties with them anymore. On the other hand, Leeds continue to employ Kiko Casilla, and frankly it's shameful.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,070 ✭✭✭✭event

I would snap your arm off for a draw... Chelsea are playing very well at the moment.

By the media and sky, absolutely. In fact, I would bet that someone will ask Frank this week "have you spotted anyone in the bushes, whats the security like etc"

I'd take a draw. Chelsea have played very conservatively in last few games and gotten clean sheets. The biggest worry is Kante is back in his proper position. I would have fancied our midfield vs Jorginho, he hasnt the pace or mobility to cope. Their bench annoys me, the quality of it. And if they do beat us, I wont be too worried. They have spent about 200m in the summer, they should be winning the league this year

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,024 ✭✭✭10000maniacs

event wrote: »
    By the media and sky, absolutely. In fact, I would bet that someone will ask Frank this week "have you spotted anyone in the bushes, whats the security like etc"

I'd take a draw. Chelsea have played very conservatively in last few games and gotten clean sheets. The biggest worry is Kante is back in his proper position. I would have fancied our midfield vs Jorginho, he hasnt the pace or mobility to cope. Their bench annoys me, the quality of it. And if they do beat us, I wont be too worried. They have spent about 200m in the summer, they should be winning the league this year

It's 11 against 11. We are in with a shot, but we need to take our chances against them when presented.

Watched the BBC documentary earlier about John Terry and the vile racist abuse he directed at Anton Ferdinand.

And you think of his club, the next opponents, Chelsea. But of course Terry has no ties with them anymore. On the other hand, Leeds continue to employ Kiko Casilla, and frankly it's shameful.

Not to excuse Terry, he's clearly not a nice guy, but wasn't he backed up by Ashley cole and several other black players. He swore at Ferdinand, calling him a 'fuc*ing black c**t' which is horrible and inexcusable but deemed by the criminal courts not to be a racially aggravated offence. No racial epithet and I don't believe that Terry is a racist. Hard to see how you could survive with ideas of racial superiority in the modern game. I hope I'm not wrong.

The FA fined Terry and banned him for four games which I thought was appropriate. The really bad stuff came online and via post. Unsurprising given the Chelsea links with Combat 18 and other fascists.

And I agree re offloading Casilla. Possibly getting Henderson or Romero in Jan though I can't see MU helping us if we're then above them in the league..

Their net spend is about £155m after selling Morata and others. That's about £45/50m more than us which is significant but not enormous. Alas they've bought well (and I'm wary of Werner) but so have we and they'll fear our waves of attack.

As with everyone else I'll be pretty happy with a draw.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,501 ✭✭✭PabloAndRoy

You can be sure it will be. Sky love creating this sort of grudge re-match of Lampard v Bielsa.

In reality, most Leeds fans do really want to rub it in Lampard's face with a good trouncing.

I have nothing in particular against Chelsea per se, but Frank Lampard totally rubs me up the wrong way. His response to the Bielsa spygate thing had more than a hint of xenophobia about it.

Having said that, I will take a draw also.

Not to excuse Terry, he's clearly not a nice guy, but wasn't he backed up by Ashley cole and several other black players. He swore at Ferdinand, calling him a 'fuc*ing black c**t' which is horrible and inexcusable but deemed by the criminal courts not to be a racially aggravated offence. No racial epithet and I don't believe that Terry is a racist. Hard to see how you could survive with ideas of racial superiority in the modern game. I hope I'm not wrong.

The FA fined Terry and banned him for four games which I thought was appropriate. The really bad stuff came online and via post. Unsurprising given the Chelsea links with Combat 18 and other fascists.

And I agree re offloading Casilla. Possibly getting Henderson or Romero in Jan though I can't see MU helping us if we're then above them in the league..

He'll hardly swap the bench at man u for the bench with us :P

I have nothing in particular against Chelsea per se, but Frank Lampard totally rubs me up the wrong way. His response to the Bielsa spygate thing had more than a hint of xenophobia about it.

I really liked him as a player. but since this and the fact the media will not criticise him at all really annoys me tbh

• Advertisement

calling him a 'fuc*ing black c**t' which is horrible and inexcusable but deemed by the criminal courts not to be a racially aggravated offence. No racial epithet...

That wasn't the decision of the Courts nor did Terry claim the words were not racist, they very clearly are.

What Terry said was that Ferdinand accused him of calling Ferdinand a "b***k c**t" and he was caught replying "no I did not call you a f*****g b***k c**t" ie. not that the words were not racist but that he was quoting Ferdinand. The Court said there was some element of a doubt and it was possible that Terry thought Ferdinand had made that accusation and he was quoting him, and as the accused he had to get the benefit of that doubt.

Looking at fixtures tonight and as I was looking at the CL, I see there are a load of championship games on tonight. Its great to not have to be concerned about that at all :D

• Registered Users Posts: 712 ✭✭✭Jimmy Two Times

I really liked him as a player. but since this and the fact the media will not criticise him at all really annoys me tbh

Yep, me too. Thought he was a great player and sort of humble and modest too.

Complete opposite as a manager. Total c**t to be honest.

All the whinging about Spygate,the crass display when they did us in the Play Offs and all the other rubbish he comes out with.

I'd have taken 4 points from Asenal,Everton and Chelsea at at the start so anything we get on Saturday is a bonus. Slight caveat here though. Didn't realise Arsenal were so bad.

Reasonable run after that Man U excluded. Thought they looked decent on Sunday. Hopefully pick a few points from West Ham,Newcastle, Burnley and WBA.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

They were poor against Spurs, despite knowing exactly what Mourinho does. Draw doesn't seem outlandish to me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,670 ✭✭✭adaminho

Looking at fixtures tonight and as I was looking at the CL, I see there are a load of championship games on tonight. Its great to not have to be concerned about that at all :D

I just checked the table there to see who was where. Corboran seems to be doing okay and It's great to see Derby, Wednesday and Forrest in the bottom Four!

For the weekend I can see Lampard doing something mad like changing to a back 3. He has a habit of trying something different when he feels up against it!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,261 ✭✭✭Shlippery

That wasn't the decision of the Courts nor did Terry claim the words were not racist, they very clearly are.

What Terry said was that Ferdinand accused him of calling Ferdinand a "b***k c**t" and he was caught replying "no I did not call you a f*****g b***k c**t" ie. not that the words were not racist but that he was quoting Ferdinand. The Court said there was some element of a doubt and it was possible that Terry thought Ferdinand had made that accusation and he was quoting him, and as the accused he had to get the benefit of that doubt.

Westminster Magistrates Court cleared Terry of racially abusing Ferdinand. July 2012.

And did anyone actually believe Terry's version?

Westminster Magistrates Court cleared Terry of racially abusing Ferdinand. July 2012.

And did anyone actually believe Terry's version?

Oh I know, but the point I was making was that the Courts did not decide that the language was not racist as you implied. Because calling someone a "f*****g b***k c**t" is patently and inarguably racist.

Terry argued that he thought Ferdinand had accused him of calling Ferdinand a "b***k c**t" and he shouted back that he had not said "f*****g b***k c**t". In effect Terry's defence was that he had used the words only in the context of denying the accusation that he had used them. And the Judge accepted that this raised some doubt.

Oh I know, but the point I was making was that the Courts did not decide that the language was not racist as you implied. Because calling someone a "f*****g b***k c**t" is patently and inarguably racist.

Terry argued that he thought Ferdinand had accused him of calling Ferdinand a "b***k c**t" and he shouted back that he had not said "f*****g b***k c**t". In effect Terry's defence was that he had used the words only in the context of denying the accusation that he had used them. And the Judge accepted that this raised some doubt.

Ah yeah, clearer now. There's not much ambiguity in that language, clearly racist and Terry clearly a poor character. Is he an out-and-out racist though? Maybe, but how is it possible to be a professional footballer or coach these days and hold such attitudes in the PL? Was Peter Schmeichel a racist? Lee Bowyer, etc?

Whatever the truth of it the game has progressed hugely from the bile and vitriol of the 70s and 80s.

We still have the edge over this lot. We are Leeds. We are Leeds. LOL.

Leeds.jpg

• Advertisement

Be happy with a draw too.

The way we play just makes the games so unpredictable.

There are going to be lots of chances for both teams. Stating the total obvious here but its going to come down to who takes the most of theirs.:D

I hope Fat Frank is too cocky to go with a back 3 / 5. Hope he believes that his players are better than ours and that his back 4 will be OK and that his attacking players will beat us. That way we're in with a shout if we're clinical.

If he goes with a 5 and doubles up on our wide players, we will have lots of possession but will struggle to create chances and will, once again,be susceptible to the break.

Hope he decides to take us on and attack us.

Lampard is a piece of work, always hypersensitive to criticism or even others celebrating, like his childish nonsense about Klopp last season. Yet has a track record that's down there with all the Denis Wise and Jody Morris types, from celebrating 9/11 to videos of him holding a beer while some girl gives him oral sex to having a crap on the floor of the Leeds dressing room last season after trashing it. He gets away with it because he wears a jumper so the media think he's intelligent.

Lampard is a piece of work, always hypersensitive to criticism or even others celebrating, like his childish nonsense about Klopp last season. Yet has a track record that's down there with all the Denis Wise and Jody Morris types, from celebrating 9/11 to videos of him holding a beer while some girl gives him oral sex to having a crap on the floor of the Leeds dressing room last season after trashing it. He gets away with it because he wears a jumper so the media think he's intelligent.

Did he actually do that? Having a crap on the floor of the Leeds dressing room?
    Animal.

Did he actually do that? Having a crap on the floor of the Leeds dressing room?
    Animal.

From Phil Hay's match report in The Athletic

"Last season’s playoff semi-final was Derby County’s moment and they left their mark on Elland Road in more ways than one.
    Champagne went everywhere, soaking manager Frank Lampard, and the away dressing room took a hammering: broken ceiling tiles, rubbish everywhere, a dubious brown substance on the floor. Leeds United cleaned up and chose to make nothing of it, for fear of being seen to suck on sour grapes."

Now, it may not have been him who did it, he may have watched as his players trashed the place and s**t on the floor.

Somebody definitely did it according to reports at the time.

I'd be surprised of it was Frank though.

Some of the mongrels he had on the team at the time.............not so sure.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,922 ✭✭✭Ceist_Beag

It doesn't really matter if it was actually Frank himself or not. As manager of the team he was responsible for what happened. He lacks class, end of.

Ceist_Beag wrote: »
    It doesn't really matter if it was actually Frank himself or not. As manager of the team he was responsible for what happened. He lacks class, end of.
    Supposedly has a very high IQ but shows it by being a petty human being.

Ceist_Beag wrote: »

And he's a Tory, which to me is always a bad thing.

• Registered Users, Subscribers, Registered Users 2 Posts: 47,336 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

And he's a Tory, which to me is always a bad thing.

The law of averages suggests that there have to be plenty of Tory footballers in the UK. But given that most seem to come from working class backgrounds, and very few ever really mention party politics, it's always a surprise to me when one outs himself as a Tory.

• Advertisement

Zaph wrote: »
    The law of averages suggests that there have to be plenty of Tory footballers in the UK. But given that most seem to come from working class backgrounds, and very few ever really mention party politics, it's always a surprise to me when one outs himself as a Tory.

Absolutely. When Graeme Le Saux played for Chelsea he said he was the only non-Tory in the dressing room. Unsurprising when he'd played with Dennis Wise, John Terry and Frank Lampard over the years. Lampard has made his views clear on several occasions and was even touted as a Tory candidate for Kensington in 2015.

This article of interest whatever your viewpoints. For me it's good to see that Chris Hughton and Mick McCarthy are no lovers of the party.

http://https://www.vice.com/en/article/wjqqyz/a-potted-history-of-tory-and-labour-footballers

is_that_so wrote: »
    Supposedly has a very high IQ but shows it by being a petty human being.

I would take the high IQ stuff with a huge pinch of salt. It seems to be a bit of a myth. I have yet to hear an interview where he makes any particularly highbrow or articulate point, he just seems one rung above "we was sick as a parrot but the boys done well"...which of course makes him a genius compared to most footballers, granted.

I certainly would not make any assumptions about his intelligence based on political leanings though.

I would take the high IQ stuff with a huge pinch of salt. It seems to be a bit of a myth. I have yet to hear an interview where he makes any particularly highbrow or articulate point, he just seems one rung above "we was sick as a parrot but the boys done well"...which of course makes him a genius compared to most footballers, granted.

I certainly would not make any assumptions about his intelligence based on political leanings though.

I saw an article once stating that Lampard had an IQ just below Einstein, even though auld Albert was never tested. Sums up UK gutter journalism I guess.

He doesn't come across as smart in interviews, particularly when contrasted with the likes of Klopp, Guardiola, Wenger and others. Maybe he's just smart compared to other English managers though Southgate and Howe strike me as quite thoughtful guys.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,070 ✭✭✭purple hands

I have yet to hear an interview where he makes any particularly highbrow or articulate point, he just seems one rung above "we was sick as a parrot but the boys done well"...which of course makes him a genius compared to most footballers, granted.

Sounds like one of his dear uncle's sayings :pac:

I very very badly want us to win on Saturday. I am also very very much enjoying Derby at the bottom of the championship table.

Just another example of Lampard's lack of class...after the P/O semi-final, Bielsa had to go looking for him on the pitch to shake his hand, because Lampard went straight into the celebrations rather than doing the decent thing of the hand shake first. Any slight on the amazing human/superbeing that is Bielsa will never be forgiven!

Maybe he's just smart compared to other English managers though Southgate and Howe strike me as quite thoughtful guys.

Fully agree. They are far better in interview anyway.

The Square Ball, as ever, has a pretty good analysis of Lampard this week. Not as good as their Warnock stuff, poor Neil gets an awful doing from them.

Oh, I'm not convinced at all and probably read that same article! I think it was based on him doing loads of GCSEs and passing them. There have been no signs of it anywhere. The political stuff is probably down to where he comes from and being just a bit of a little Englander.

• Advertisement

is_that_so wrote: »
    Oh, I'm not convinced at all and probably read that same article! I think it was based on him doing loads of GCSEs and passing them. There have been no signs of it anywhere. The political stuff is probably down to where he comes from and being just a bit of a little Englander.

He's no David Wetherall with his Degree in Chemistry!

adaminho wrote: »
    He's no David Wetherall with his Degree in Chemistry!

Tony Galvin - Russian
    Kevin Moran - Commerce (plus two All-Irelands and two FA Cups)
    Socrates - Medicine
    Steve Coppell - Economiccs
    Andrey Arshavin - Fashion Design
    Juan Mata - Marketing

And some others, all doubtless of a lesser intellect than Frankie boy. How dearly I'd love to win on Saturday night.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,294 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kingp35

Fully agree. They are far better in interview anyway.

The Square Ball, as ever, has a pretty good analysis of Lampard this week. Not as good as their Warnock stuff, poor Neil gets an awful doing from them.

Just read their review of his Gaffer book. Hilarious, I hadn't realised quite how unintelligent he was. Worrying that he got to manage so many decent clubs and it explains his Brexiteer stuff:

“To hell with the rest of the world” was how the manager of Cardiff City football club Neil Warnock finished his unscripted Brexit rant on Saturday. As if the “rest of the world” was conspiring against Britain or had a bull’s notion what it wanted from the process.

Said whilst running a club with sixteen non-UK nationals in the first team squad and with Malaysian owners. Feeling sorry for Middlesborough now, here's hoping that Derby is his next port of call.

Just read their review of his Gaffer book. Hilarious, I hadn't realised quite how unintelligent he was. Worrying that he got to manage so many decent clubs and it explains his Brexiteer stuff:

“To hell with the rest of the world” was how the manager of Cardiff City football club Neil Warnock finished his unscripted Brexit rant on Saturday. As if the “rest of the world” was conspiring against Britain or had a bull’s notion what it wanted from the process.

Said whilst running a club with sixteen non-UK nationals in the first team squad and with Malaysian owners. Feeling sorry for Middlesborough now, here's hoping that Derby is his next port of call.
    I think retirement will finally get him first!

• Advertisement

Just read their review of his Gaffer book. Hilarious...

I have to say, sometimes the Square Ball fellows make me laugh. They are articulate and intelligent enough, without being overbearing or highbrow, and not so uptight about the club or players that they can't have a laugh at the craziness that comes with following Leeds. Like, that ridiculous Hi Sense ad on the side of the Jack Charlton stand, it has to be laughed at.

I have to say, sometimes the Square Ball fellows make me laugh. They are articulate and intelligent enough, without being overbearing or highbrow, and not so uptight about the club or players that they can't have a laugh at the craziness that comes with following Leeds. Like, that ridiculous Hi Sense ad on the side of the Jack Charlton stand, it has to be laughed at.

Agreed. That review is scathing but spot on and highly funny. I hope Warnock got to read it.

Must give them a listen. Sporting Intelligence are doing a series on badly run clubs and Leeds was on it last week.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,003 ✭✭✭Carcharodon

I made a huge mistake, was away for work all week, had a 4 hr drive home this evening but decided I would leave in the morning instead and now I realize the game is tomorrow not Sunday and I’ll be going through mountains with zero signal so I can’t stream it
    First world problems I guess

Anyone getting nervous?

Thus far this season the game I'd most hate to lose. Even a loss at MU seems more bearable.

Anyone getting nervous?

Thus far this season the game I'd most hate to lose. Even a loss at MU seems more bearable.

I'd prefer to see them beat Chelsea too. The Cup win when Ferguson was in charge at Man Utd was great, but they were the biggest club around then. Now they're on the slide with a manager you'd almost feel sorry for, while the media loves Chelsea and Lampard because he's great at bringing through young talent and they only spent 100 million on keepers God love 'em

I'd prefer to see them beat Chelsea too. The Cup win when Ferguson was in charge at Man Utd was great, but they were the biggest club around then. Now they're on the slide with a manager you'd almost feel sorry for, while the media loves Chelsea and Lampard because he's great at bringing through young talent and they only spent 100 million on keepers God love 'em

Fair chance we'll be facing a different MU in two weeks also. They lose to WHU today and get knocked out of the CL next week will mean that Solskjaer's position is untenable. Here's hoping it's his team rather than Tuchel's or Pochettino's we're up against.

I fancy us tonight. Nothing to lose. Please let both Rodrigo & Raphinha be starting.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,509 ✭✭✭Damo 2k9

Same starting 11 as last week. Mind boggling that Rodrigo still not starting, surely he's back up to pre covid fitness levels.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,896 ✭✭✭Hijpo

It will be the one game giroud has a stormer

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,495 ✭✭✭✭Mushy

Bamford you beauty.

What a ball by phillips

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement