Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Leeds United Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours 2020/2021

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,289 ✭✭✭stryker mcqueen

Just going through the motions all game, this has been so so poor

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,024 ✭✭✭10000maniacs

Lucky The Blades, Fulham and West Brom are having nightmares or we would be screwed.
    We can't even do 2 metre passes now.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,070 ✭✭✭purple hands

Back to where we were, Leeds ruining the weekend 60 percent of the time, every time

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,070 ✭✭✭✭event

Newcastle game is crucial tbh

4 points from the last 18.
    The games vs Burnley and WBA needs to give us 6 points

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 5,015 Mod ✭✭✭✭GoldFour4

Yeah definitely not sharp. We are a lacking depth to bring on. Roberts doesn’t seem like he is going to have contributed anything in the 20mins he’s been on - hopefully I’m proven wrong!

You can say all you want about O' Leary and Wilkinson, but we were beating teams like this for fun when they were in the hot seat.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,922 ✭✭✭Ceist_Beag

He has to score that!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,495 ✭✭✭✭Mushy

Should have buried that

• Registered Users Posts: 1,070 ✭✭✭purple hands

For the love of God

• Advertisement

Thats an absolute sitter

Rodrigo straight to the keeper again.

Yeah definitely not sharp. We are a lacking depth to bring on. Roberts doesn’t seem like he is going to have contributed anything in the 20mins he’s been on - hopefully I’m proven wrong!

He was poor in the championship

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,016 Mod ✭✭✭✭whiterebel

Has Costa actually managed to pass to another Leeds player since he came on?

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,016 Mod ✭✭✭✭whiterebel

Not one player on Raphinha's wavelength from the free kick

Rodrigo 1 out of 10.
    Costa 1 out of 10
    Cooper 2 out of 10.

• Advertisement

Very disappointed in that effort. Only Ayling and Meslier played well. Rodrigo really needs to start playing like a £30 million player, he has been poor.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 5,015 Mod ✭✭✭✭GoldFour4

Rodrigo wasn’t great but we need to play him more. We can’t have him sitting on the bench most of the time and then have him in the 11 and expect him to be sharp

Ceist_Beag wrote: »
    Very disappointed in that effort. Only Ayling and Meslier played well. Rodrigo really needs to start playing like a £30 million player, he has been poor.

In fairness, 4 starts. And we don't seem to now what to do with him. It looked like we had WH on a plate after the goal, but we seemed to start playing like we had it won after 6 minutes.

We need to beat teams like that. We have made Moyes look like a genius because we give away stupid free kicks and corners away to a team with taller players. Half time changes were mind boggling. Costa? Get rid. How did we pay 15M for him in the name of all that's holy?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,911 ✭✭✭Seathrun66

Feeling more deflated tonight than at any other stage of this season. Meslier, Ayling and Raphinha all very impressive. Everyone else underperformed. Substitutions made no sense and were as unproductive as expected.

I still think we'll get plenty of points in our four remaining December games but that was a painful evening.

• Advertisement

What is wrong with Moyes? They keep going on about the keeper being a mm off the line? He was well off the line when the ball was struck, and probable infringement as well.

There goes the weekend. If we can't beat a Newcastle team who have a Covid19 problem on Wednesday, we are in deep doo doo.

It's something I had concerns about last season, the standard of player in the squad would always find this step up tough. Not like club is in a position to buy a whole new team, and have bought well, but there isnt a depth there to feel comfortable as a fan. It's gone about as I'd expected

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,579 ✭✭✭newhouse87

Longtime leeds fan and as happy as i was to go up, i knew we had alot of bang average players ,cooper, costa, ayling,alioski, harrison and bamford(who has been ok lately tbf) are not prem league standard, harrison in particular has shown he is not up to this level, does he ever beat the first man with a cross? Rodrigo was not an out and out goal scorer coming so bemuses me as to why we bought him, i would have much preferred Watkins. Still think we will stay up but the unfortunate thing about the being in the prem is that i have lot more down moods then up days this year but i wouldn't change it as i though we would never get out of the championship. Raphinha does look a real talent but other then that orta has been poor.

Good Lord.

A few weeks ago Southgate turns up at Leeds Everton, supposedly to check out Harrison and Bamford.

And now people are questioning their ability to play at this level? They've hardly been at this level a wet week, have shown no fear in games against Liverpool, Man City, Arsenal...and people want to dump them?

There are 3 words (maybe 2, not sure about the rules on hyphens) for anyone who says "not good enough, get out the cheque book". Jean-Kevin Augustin.

People really need to rein in expectation levels. This group of players has given Leeds fans more to cheer about than any other in 2 decades, arguably 3. Some of them cost nothing, some cost a few million, they were mid table Championship until Bielsa arrived, they deserve nothing but enormous credit and unwavering support, even if they've had 2 bad games in a row. It wasn't too long ago that would have meant losses v Wigan and Brentford.

Good Lord.

A few weeks ago Southgate turns up at Leeds Everton, supposedly to check out Harrison and Bamford.

And now people are questioning their ability to play at this level? They've hardly been at this level a wet week, have shown no fear in games against Liverpool, Man City, Arsenal...and people want to dump them?

There are 3 words (maybe 2, not sure about the rules on hyphens) for anyone who says "not good enough, get out the cheque book". Jean-Kevin Augustin.

People really need to rein in expectation levels. This group of players has given Leeds fans more to cheer about than any other in 2 decades, arguably 3. Some of them cost nothing, some cost a few million, they were mid table Championship until Bielsa arrived, they deserve nothing but enormous credit and unwavering support, even if they've had 2 bad games in a row. It wasn't too long ago that would have meant losses v Wigan and Brentford.

Southgate checking out Harrison and bamford i find that very hard to believe, you have said it yourself they were mid championship when bielsa arrived and unfortunately some are not up to this level, bielsa worked wonders to get some of the players to max level which got us out of the championship, harrison is very frustrating to watch, rarely beats the first man, its great we got up but players can not be immune to criticism either, you can not expect all the same players to be able to compete in the premier league as in the championship, its fantasy stuff. BTW it doesn't matter what they cost, you are either good enough or not for this level.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,896 ✭✭✭Hijpo

I think realistic premier league level is consistent top half performances. We are no where near that and won't be for years, soni dont think we can keep calling that out.
    There were a few performances out there that a league 2 player would be disgusted with.
    Extremely loose needless long passes, silly free kicks, easily pushed off the ball, lack of composure and nothing really changed when we found ourselves under severe pressure for about 20 minutes in the first half.
    First game I have been disappointed with this season.

newhouse87 wrote: »
    ...some are not up to this level...
    ...BTW it doesn't matter what they cost, you are either good enough or not for this level.

From what I saw against Liverpool, Man City, Arsenal, Everton and Villa, I thought they showed they were very much up to this level. Of course, you may disagree, it's subjective. I'd give them far longer than 3 months to show that they can repeat that every single week, I think they deserve that much anyway.

As for cost, it cost Villa £120 million after promotion to survive by one point. So obviously they were "good enough"...just about. I think by any stretch Leeds are ahead of that cost/benefit analysis. But again, I respect your right to write them off as not good enough, it's no less valid than my opinion.

From what I saw against Liverpool, Man City, Arsenal, Everton and Villa, I thought they showed they were very much up to this level. Of course, you may disagree, it's subjective. I'd give them far longer than 3 months to show that they can repeat that every single week, I think they deserve that much anyway.

As for cost, it cost Villa £120 million after promotion to survive by one point. So obviously they were "good enough"...just about. I think by any stretch Leeds are ahead of that cost/benefit analysis. But again, I respect your right to write them off as not good enough, it's no less valid than my opinion.

I would write harrison/cooper/costa off as pl starters for sure and i dont think bamford is clinical enough given the amount of chance he gets, he has improved from last season though. I like the look off koch and as i said raphinha looks a good bit of business. I am harsh, i realized that at elland road last season when i was roaring at bamford and some old lads beside me from Leeds were more of the encouraging sort ha.

It's the first game this season where the performance was very disappointing so as Conor said, no need to make any judgements on the basis of that. We do need to pick up a few points in the next few games, just to keep well ahead of the bottom three. I'm hoping Rodrigo gets a run of games and finds form as I think we really need him to start contributing on the score sheet. Roberts doesn't look up to this standard. Pablo will hopefully have a bit more to offer yet but our options up front are quite limited. We have been very unlucky with our chalfs as well.
    But most of us said 17th would do this season and so far we've exceeded expectations.

• Advertisement

I think harrison has been disappointing in more than one game, cooper without fail will make a mistake that leads to a goal chance, his attempted missed sliding tackle in the second half for instance, i would have liked to have seen koch and llorente get a run of games together, hopefully at some stage this season. Id rather poveda to harrison or costa, just my opinion, the team has given great joy the last couple of year's i appreciate that too but i also want the team to improve even further.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,218 ✭✭✭NuckChorris1

There’s going to be plenty of tough days like yesterday and clearly we could do with upgrading most of the squad (Harrison and Costa particularly disappointing for me) but we’ll stay up because of Bielsa and add 3 or 4 more top class players next summer and improve again. As the square ball lads said, this year we just have to be better than 3 teams, last year he had to be better than 21. Lots more losing and negativity ahead but we’ll manage it and appreciate where we are compared to past misery.

There’s going to be plenty of tough days like yesterday and clearly we could do with upgrading most of the squad (Harrison and Costa particularly disappointing for me) but we’ll stay up because of Bielsa and add 3 or 4 more top class players next summer and improve again. As the square ball lads said, this year we just have to be better than 3 teams, last year he had to be better than 21. Lots more losing and negativity ahead but we’ll manage it and appreciate where we are compared to past misery.

Thats my problem though, we made it tough on ourselves. I thought we should have beaten WH, but we seemed to think we had the game won very early......after 6 minutes.

whiterebel wrote: »
    Thats my problem though, we made it tough on ourselves. I thought we should have beaten WH, but we seemed to think we had the game won very early......after 6 minutes.

There were a lot of times we gave possession back either from a poor pass or poor touch. Definitely made it easier on WH that way and left huge gaps for them to play in. Whether that’s from our lack of quality or lack of passion/concentration, I don’t know. Would like Pablo in for better passing but then he’s had bad days for that too.

There were a lot of times we gave possession back either from a poor pass or poor touch. Definitely made it easier on WH that way and left huge gaps for them to play in. Whether that’s from our lack of quality or lack of passion/concentration, I don’t know. Would like Pablo in for better passing but then he’s had bad days for that too.

All that, and giving away free kicks/corners to a team with a big height advantage.

Thought west ham were much better than us to be honest, we had very little chances after the penalty. First game i have been really disappointed with this season.

All that, and giving away free kicks/corners to a team with a big height advantage.

Agree, and even our one really big guy, Koch when he’s back, isn’t particularly muscular like Zouma or Ogbonna etc. Think Koch and Llorente in time will be a pretty solid pairing tho.

Longtime leeds fan and as happy as i was to go up, i knew we had alot of bang average players ,cooper, costa, ayling,alioski, harrison and bamford(who has been ok lately tbf) are not prem league standard, harrison in particular has shown he is not up to this level, does he ever beat the first man with a cross? Rodrigo was not an out and out goal scorer coming so bemuses me as to why we bought him, i would have much preferred Watkins. Still think we will stay up but the unfortunate thing about the being in the prem is that i have lot more down moods then up days this year but i wouldn't change it as i though we would never get out of the championship. Raphinha does look a real talent but other then that orta has been poor.

Bamford has been ok lately? He cost 7m and has 8 goals and 2 assists this season. He has as many goals as Harry Kane ffs. What would you consider excellent, should he save a penalty as well??

Orta has been poor? Get up the yard.
    Writing off Rodrigo who has started 3 games? This isn't 2005, 30m doesn't get you a world class striker any more. Like Harry Maguire was 80m, we've gotten 2 international centre halves for less than half that. What were you expecting?

I think too many fans have expectations that are way higher than they should be.

event wrote: »
    Bamford has been ok lately? He cost 7m and has 8 goals and 2 assists this season. He has as many goals as Harry Kane ffs. What would you consider excellent, should he save a penalty as well??

Writing off Rodrigo who has started 3 games? This isn't 2005, 30m doesn't get you a world class striker any more. Like Harry Maguire was 80m, we've gotten 2 international centre halves for less than half that. What were you expecting?

I think too many fans have expectations that are way higher than they should be.

With the amount of chances we created, Bamford's return could be so much better. He has done well this season, but look at the volume he has missed. I get it that he puts in the work chasing back etc, but he is in the right position to finish. Its not as ifs he doesn't get into the right positions. I do believe that he needs to be backed up by Harrison, Klich, and the others because the shooting/finishing has been woeful. Bamford himself said against Villa that he had missed 2 really good chances, and then scored 3. I believe he's a much better instinctive striker, when he has time to think, I don't back him to score. Of course again Villa he did the compete opposite of that :o

• Advertisement

Cost has nothing to do with it, you are either up to the standard or not.Have you paid attention to the amount of chance's bamford misses, my point on rodrigo was he wasn't a proven goalscorer and thats what we needed not a lad around center mid where he is playing lately. Again i never criticized koch/llorente, it was cooper who if you dont think is mistake prone you obviously don't watch the full 90 minutes of matches. My hope was to finish 12-15, thats still possible but some of ye think just because these lads got us to the pl they cant be criticized, if bielsa thought like ye, we wouldn't have bought 2 center halves and a striker to push bamford.

Cost has nothing to do with it, you are either up to the standard or not.Have you paid attention to the amount of chance's bamford misses...

So you have decided that Bamford is not up to it?

That's harsh.

So you have decided that Bamford is not up to it?

That's harsh.

I think his misses could become costly, as i stated earlier he is going better then i predicted but if you dont think he misses alot of chances then we will never agree on him, not here for an argument btw, just giving my opinion.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

That toxic and frustrating combination of masses of possession, oodles of chances and an inability to defend set pieces. It's 2018-19 all over again! :( Add in a dip in form for up to half a dozen players - Klich, Harrison, Costa, Alioski, Phillips, to an extent ,Roberts (no form) and the engine is running on half power.

Some of the Bielsa favourites are not doing it at present, but Alioski aside it's not as if there are really any ready made quality replacements. Pablo can possibly help but even his limited time on the pitch will not make up for the defence inviting teams to score. Still tense up every time time I see a free kick or corner against Leeds! As for the Bamford question he's a streaky player and we know that but that's why the other stuff he's praised for, needs to be good when he's not scoring.

is_that_so wrote: »
    That toxic and frustrating combination of masses of possession, oodles of chances and an inability to defend set pieces. It's 2018-19 all over again! :( Add in a dip in form for up to half a dozen players - Klich, Harrison, Costa, Alioski, Phillips, to an extent ,Roberts (no form) and the engine is running on half power.

Some of the Bielsa favourites are not doing it at present, but Alioski aside it's not as if there are really any ready made quality replacements. Pablo can possibly help but even his limited time on the pitch will not make up for the defence inviting teams to score. Still tense up every time time I see a free kick or corner against Leeds! As for the Bamford question he's a streaky player and we know that but that's why the other stuff he's praised for, needs to be good when he's not scoring.

Even so, if we defended our set pieces, we would have taken something from the game. They need to watch the video of Everton vs Chelsea on how to defend set pieces. Or how to defend and hold onto a one goal lead for most of the game. Chelsea are not getting anything past Davis/Pickford in this game.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,289 ✭✭✭stryker mcqueen

Watching Everton do a job on Chelsea tonight, some advantage having a crowd even if it's only 4k.... Sooner Elland Road has fans back the better

• Advertisement

Watching Everton do a job on Chelsea tonight, some advantage having a crowd even if it's only 4k.... Sooner Elland Road has fans back the better

What are the rules there? Why is it that Everton and certain other clubs are allowed up to 4k fans while other clubs are allowed none?

Ceist_Beag wrote: »
    What are the rules there? Why is it that Everton and certain other clubs are allowed up to 4k fans while other clubs are allowed none?

Depends on what tier areas are in. So tier 3 is no fans, 2 is 2k, 1 is 4k

Mushy wrote: »
    Depends on what tier areas are in. So tier 3 is no fans, 2 is 2k, 1 is 4k

Thanks. I found a list at https://www.skysports.com/football/news/11095/12142490/coronavirus-tier-system-what-tier-is-your-team-in so it seems it's mainly London and Liverpool and Southampton are tier 2 and everyone else are tier 3, no tier 1.

This data is from up to the 13th November.

Bamford has a better shot conversion rate than Sadio Mane and Harry Kane.

Every striker misses chances lads. Picking on bamford is hilarious at times

This data is from up to the 13th November.

Bamford has a better shot conversion rate than Sadio Mane and Harry Kane.

Every striker misses chances lads. Picking on bamford is hilarious at times

And suspect none of them have matched Vardy or Firmino in recent PL seasons.

Now, obviously Bamford has plenty of time to catch up. But when he's scoring like they do, I'll forgive him missing like they do...

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement