Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Leeds United Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours 2020/2021

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,911 ✭✭✭Seathrun66

Zaph wrote: »
    Kalvin out for the next game. That was a bit needless.

Yep, but a soft yellow also. spurs have been indulging in rotational fouling today and lucky to only have three yellows. Not that it'd affect the result in any way.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,024 ✭✭✭10000maniacs

****. Yellow for Kalvin. Think he misses Brighton now.

He will miss Crawley in the FA Cup. Not Brighton.

Doherty takes out Pablo. Red card.

Doherty takes out Pablo. Red card.

Overdue I think. Must be close to double figures for fouls today.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,070 ✭✭✭purple hands

He will miss Crawley in the FA Cup. Not Brighton.

I think the rules have changed, suspension applies to next league match. Idea being to avoid players intentionally picking up yellows to miss next "meaningless" cup match

I think the rules have changed, suspension applies to next league match. Idea being to avoid players picking up yellows to miss next "meaningless" cup match
    Crap. We need him for Brighton. Brighton are good at frustrating teams.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 5,015 Mod ✭✭✭✭GoldFour4

On to the next one. Looking forward to seeing some of the 23s play against Crawley.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,070 ✭✭✭purple hands

That peno decision looks worse and worse with every replay

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,043 ✭✭✭iseegirls

Sounds like Tyler Roberts will be the first to leave on loan, with him being "unavailable" today.

Will be interesting to see who comes in for the FA Cup game. Looking at usual subs, Poveda, Hernandez, Costa and Shackleton must be down for starters. Maybe move Rodrigo up front, and give Bamford a rest along with a few others. I would like a decent cup run, and rather stay away from a lower league team defeat.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,014 ✭✭✭Eggs For Dinner

I'd rest the entire starting 11 and start with the usual subs and the U23s. Can't afford injuries, especially at the back

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,070 ✭✭✭✭event

Get out of the cups as quick as possible for me. Maybe in a few years go for one when we are stable

Oh no, Colchester and Histon were very bad days in the history of the club. On the other hand Man Utd in 2010 and Spurs in 2013 were some of the best days the club during a very dark era.

If they think the League is going well and are confident of avoiding relegation, a Cup run would be great.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,016 Mod ✭✭✭✭whiterebel

Get past Crawley anyway. Not another terrible memory of the FA cup to non-league opposition. Have we not suffered enough?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

Crap. We need him for Brighton. Brighton are good at frustrating teams.
    Struijk may be less of a risk there now that he's had a few more minutes and is tackling better, plus there may be some more able bodied CBs to choose from. Brighton are one of those "beatable" teams and a game that should provide at least 1 point , if not all three.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,922 ✭✭✭Ceist_Beag

Haven't seen it mentioned anywhere here yet but amidst all the positivity surrounding the club I do think it has to be called out as a really bad judgement call by the club to have a go (on Twitter) at a pundit for voicing an opinion. I never think it's wise for a club to respond to punditry but this one was especially unwise I feel given it was a female pundit (would they have mocked Gary Lineker in the same manner if he posted it - I doubt it). I have heard plenty of stupid comments from ex players that never get picked up or laughed at (and plenty of those were worse than this particular comment). It very much came across as an attempt to mock and belittle and does nothing for the club imho. Let fans have a go if they want to but coming from the club official account just sends out the wrong signals and they really should apologise for it.

To be honest, I was very surprised at the backlash Leeds got. I thought club accounts respond to pundits all the time, certainly Leeds have done it before with male pundits eg. they responded to Agbonlahor, and noone gave a damn. Managers and players react to pundits all the time on social media, in interviews etc. like Klopp having a go at an interviewer like Des Kelly or a pundit like Roy Keane, I don't really get the whole "it's fine for the manager, but not for the owner" or "it's fine to say it, but it should not be typed out" arguments.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,016 Mod ✭✭✭✭whiterebel

Ceist_Beag wrote: »
    Haven't seen it mentioned anywhere here yet but amidst all the positivity surrounding the club I do think it has to be called out as a really bad judgement call by the club to have a go (on Twitter) at a pundit for voicing an opinion. I never think it's wise for a club to respond to punditry but this one was especially unwise I feel given it was a female pundit (would they have mocked Gary Lineker in the same manner if he posted it - I doubt it). I have heard plenty of stupid comments from ex players that never get picked up or laughed at (and plenty of those were worse than this particular comment). It very much came across as an attempt to mock and belittle and does nothing for the club imho. Let fans have a go if they want to but coming from the club official account just sends out the wrong signals and they really should apologise for it.

Too much crap about this. They've called out plenty, but when its a woman, we all have to hide? They pointed out that we won it by 10 points, it was hardly derogatory. Should it be a case that she can say what she likes and not get picked up on it?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,896 ✭✭✭Hijpo

I would have to disagree, if you voice an opinion you are open to criticism. The club didn't call for the abuse she got, you see people in all walks of life getting shredded on social media.

Radrizzani issued an apology, if the comments were not made the club wouldn't have had anything to call her out on. She said "I actually think they got promoted because of Covid" on live TV. The club replied saying they won the league by 10 points. Absolutely nothing offensive about that. Paddy Power comes out with stuff that clearly ridicules people but nothing is ever said.

• Registered Users, Subscribers, Registered Users 2 Posts: 47,336 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

I totally disagree, it would have been more wrong not to call her out on it just because she's a woman given that on several occasions they had a go at male pundits for saying stupid stuff over the past year. That said, the reaction from the neanderthals out there who felt they needed to wade in with their misogynistic remarks was nothing short of disgraceful, and tbh every single one of those comments should have been reported and the users' Twitter accounts suspended. However, even if the club hadn't responded to her, I reckon there would still have been a sizeable number of those morons tweeting at her anyway. Unfortunately social media gives everyone a chance to have their say, and some feel they need to do so at every opportunity, no matter how distasteful it is.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,922 ✭✭✭Ceist_Beag

I must be in the minority here so. Managers and players get asked questions in the heat of the moment. Posting a tweet can be done with the benefit of time to think (of course it has been proven many times that people tweet in the heat of the moment too!). I don't think it is wise or appropriate for a club account to take on pundit views, especially such a harmless view as this one (bear in mind there were posts on here saying the same thing at the time of lockdown!). That's just my view on it.

I must be in the minority here so. Managers and players get asked questions in the heat of the moment. Posting a tweet can be done with the benefit of time to think (of course it has been proven many times that people tweet in the heat of the moment too!). I don't think it is wise or appropriate for a club account to take on pundit views, especially such a harmless view as this one (bear in mind there were posts on here saying the same thing at the time of lockdown!). That's just my view on it.

I think we all agree that the abuse was completely unacceptable but the backlash of this would mean that the club should be fearful or wary of responding to criticism, more so because of the gender of the pundit, and that isn't fair to other pundits or anyone who is being criticised.

• Registered Users Posts: 712 ✭✭✭Jimmy Two Times

Anyone read Allardyce's comments after the Spurs game ?

Said that it was a pity that we didn't play against his team the way we played against Spurs.

I have to believe that this was a tongue in cheek remark.Not even Sam could be that silly.

Just on Spurs,they worked really hard to close down our passing lanes and keep us quiet on the wings. Thought Harrison did really well in the first half against Doherty but their central midfielders along with Alderwiereld and Dier were superb at denying any space in the box.

Also really impressed with their left back.Raphinha never got at him at all and had to so deep looking for possession.

Blame for first goal lies firmly with Meslier. Alioski had gone the wrong side of his man looking for the ball,which is how we play all the time. Wish he would stop with the risky ones up the middle.

Leeds Twitter feed does this all the time. Gabriel Agbonlahor and Chris Wilder got mocked earlier in the season, though admittedly they did provoke it. The online misogynistic abuse of a female pundit can never be condoned but the club is not responsible for the mindless comments of idiots.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,261 ✭✭✭Shlippery

Seathrun66 wrote: »
    Leeds Twitter feed does this all the time. Gabriel Agbonlahor and Chris Wilder got mocked earlier in the season, though admittedly they did provoke it. The online misogynistic abuse of a female pundit can never be condoned but the club is not responsible for the mindless comments of idiots.

Pizza hut and Niall Horan too, all good banter, yeah, the club twitter page was always good craic, unfortunately, for Karen's case, the Twitter gob****e brigade/mafia saw it as reason to attack 'Women in Football' as their hot take and just pile on abuse...

Twitter can be great for plenty but christ it can very quickly descend into rottenness..

In other news, 6 points off 4th place. if we ignore all those games in hand floating about :pac:

How do other people react on a weekend when we lose? Personally that's it football-wise for me, don't watch Match of the Day nor other games and instead just wait for our next match. I'll keep an eye on scorelines but when we've made no progress in the table it feels like masochism to watch our highlights and see other teams picking up points in live games.

Brighton game can't come soon enough.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 416 ✭✭Wingman2010

How do other people react on a weekend when we lose? Personally that's it football-wise for me, don't watch Match of the Day nor other games and instead just wait for our next match. I'll keep an eye on scorelines but when we've made no progress in the table it feels like masochism to watch our highlights and see other teams picking up points in live games.

That’s literally me! I do enjoy watching MOTD when we win but likewise I can’t bring myself to watching MOTD. I expect a bounce the next day.

I watch MOTD to see how we played mainly. Did we create chances, how did we create them, where did we get caught etc

How do other people react on a weekend when we lose? Personally that's it football-wise for me, don't watch Match of the Day nor other games and instead just wait for our next match...

I'm actually far more relaxed about losing now. Losing to Bristol City or Wigan was frustrating because I regard Leeds as bigger. But now they're in the top flight facing clubs that have had years investing hundreds of millions in squads and selecting the best managers available, Leeds are almost always the underdogs. There's no shame in a newly promoted club losing to Crystal Palace or Spurs.

But either way, I don't watch Match of the Day because I can't stand smug p***ks like Linekar. I actually still watch the Championship on Quest every now and again, to see how Brentford, Forest, Derby and co. are doing and shudder at just how brutal that division is.

I'm actually far more relaxed about losing now. Losing to Bristol City or Wigan was frustrating because I regard Leeds as bigger. But now they're in the top flight facing clubs that have had years investing hundreds of millions in squads and selecting the best managers available, Leeds are almost always the underdogs. There's no shame in a newly promoted club losing to Crystal Palace or Spurs.

But either way, I don't watch Match of the Day because I can't stand smug p***ks like Linekar. I actually still watch the Championship on Quest every now and again, to see how Brentford, Forest, Derby and co. are doing and shudder at just how brutal that division is.

Also relaxed about losses but I've no desire to watch highlights of the Spurs or MU games.

I like Lineker a lot. Smarter than his pundits and unafraid of taking unpopular political stances.

Agreed re the Championship. And you may be the only Leeds fan still checking it out.

I like Lineker a lot. Smarter than his pundits and unafraid of taking unpopular political stances.

I could be biased. Know people who worked with him and said when it came to women and staff he was just horrific, was very lecherous, treated people like dirt, had no problem pulling the "I can get you fired" line to get his way..and this is going back to the 90s. He could be a great pundit but I can't watch him.

• Advertisement

I watch most of the games even if we lose. Love the SNBC version of Super Sunday.

I could be biased. Know people who worked with him and said when it came to women and staff he was just horrific, was very lecherous, treated people like dirt, had no problem pulling the "I can get you fired" line to get his way..and this is going back to the 90s. He could be a great pundit but I can't watch him.

An ex-colleague worked with him at the BBC and said he was great. It's only one account but she said he got on with everyone and definitely was flirtatious (not with her) but not lecherous. That's all subjective I guess but nothing has ever come from the press about him and the right-wing tabloids have been gunning for him for years given his anti-Brexit and pro-refugee stances. They ain't going to turn down any juicy material if there's any about.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

That’s literally me! I do enjoy watching MOTD when we win but likewise I can’t bring myself to watching MOTD. I expect a bounce the next day.
    Yep, tend to skip it OK. There's no shock or disgrace in losing to the like of Spurs, United or Chelsea this season. The team is playing well, scoring goals and has picked up enough points to suggest that relegation is not really a risk. So it's a case of enjoying the never boring ride!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,070 ✭✭✭✭event

If we lose it doesn't affect me too much tbh.
    Stopped letting it ruin my weekends a long time ago

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,003 ✭✭✭Carcharodon

The older I get, the less it bothers me, I reminded myself a long time ago that Iam not from Leeds and no point in getting worked up over it.
    Also, so many downs through the years gives you a tough skin

I live west coast of US for a while now, so it can be annoying waking up at 4am to watch us put in a horrible display, I get mad at myself for getting up so early

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,578 ✭✭✭newhouse87

The older I get, the less it bothers me, I reminded myself a long time ago that Iam not from Leeds and no point in getting worked up over it.
    Also, so many downs through the years gives you a tough skin

I live west coast of US for a while now, so it can be annoying waking up at 4am to watch us put in a horrible display, I get mad at myself for getting up so early

Im gone the opposite, the older i get the more it pisses me off, usually watch the matches alone too these days, cant have people asking stupid questions while im watching, defeats in the PL are easier to take though, just want to stay up so keeping close eye on teams below us. If they lose makes our defeats easier to take.

Something similar for me. Won't watch MOTD if we've lost but will keep a keen eye of the results of the teams we need to finish ahead of to ensure survival. Sometimes,if I've nothing else to do I might even watch a game featuring another mid / lower table team,something which would have been inconceivable in previous seasons.

I get the point about not being from Leeds and it not bothering people that much. Unfortunately I haven't reached that point yet.

One of my biggest pet peeves in soccer is when fans that are not from the city have this deep hatred of their teams local rivals, it’s like dude, you’re not even from Leeds or Yorkshire, why do you hate Huddersfield....
    The Man United rivalry I can understand because of the history over the years plus the large amount of United fans spread out everywhere.

You don’t see it that much with Leeds fans, very prevalent with Irish Man United and Liverpool fans, they seem to get really delusional and over patriotic with their deep love of their team.

You don’t see it that much with Leeds fans, very prevalent with Irish Man United and Liverpool fans, they seem to get really delusional and over patriotic with their deep love of their team.

Interesting point this.

When we go over,we tend to go to the same bar,pre and post match and have become friendly with a group of local lads who have been season ticket holders,home and away,for years.

They do talk about rivalries with the other Yorkshire teams,but no hatred. All good natured and littered with anecdotes about this lad from Huddersfield or a group of Sheffield Wed lads etc,etc.

event wrote: »
    If we lose it doesn't affect me too much tbh.
    Stopped letting it ruin my weekends a long time ago

Same here, no great effect on the weekends but I completely lose interest in any other football until the following week.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,261 ✭✭✭Shlippery

Ah yeah, over the moon when we win - but definitely get a lot more slagging this year from mates who support otherteams in the PL! Still in the euphoric phase to be back in the premier league to be honest!

Got a stone put down in Centenary square this year, would feckin love to get over and see it, but can't help but feel it'll be next season, unless there are any impromptu COVID delays pushing this season out of rhythm.

On another note..saw this art/design on twitter during the week - tis class!
    https://www.roundheadillustration.com/product/leeds-united-mishmash-pre-order-for-january-2021/

(full version - https://pbs.twimg.com/media/Eq12yDYXAAcgneC?format=jpg&name=4096x4096 )

Shlippery wrote: »

Ordered this yesterday. Let you know what it looks like when I get it framed etc.

The Leeds lads I mentioned in the previous post belong to the Maverick Whites. You can see their banner in the picture :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,218 ✭✭✭NuckChorris1

Ordered this yesterday. Let you know what it looks like when I get it framed etc.

The Leeds lads I mentioned in the previous post belong to the Maverick Whites. You can see their banner in the picture :D

South Dublin Whites flag is very prominent in it too. Never been in a Leeds fan club. I was going to start going in to the Camden for games last year before the madness came.

• Registered Users, Subscribers, Registered Users 2 Posts: 47,336 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

Interesting point this.

When we go over,we tend to go to the same bar,pre and post match and have become friendly with a group of local lads who have been season ticket holders,home and away,for years.

They do talk about rivalries with the other Yorkshire teams,but no hatred. All good natured and littered with anecdotes about this lad from Huddersfield or a group of Sheffield Wed lads etc,etc.

I used to work with a guy from Huddersfield. He absolutely despised Leeds, even though the two clubs were in different divisions the whole time I worked with him.

Zaph wrote: »
    I used to work with a guy from Huddersfield. He absolutely despised Leeds, even though the two clubs were in different divisions the whole time I worked with him.

I guess in the same way that Bury fans may despise MU or Hartlepool fans despise Newcastle. An esteem thing methinks. Hence why I dislike the Leeds focus on MU.

I don't like them, at all, but if much of the fanbase's identity is fixed upon hatred of another (much more successful) team it makes us look intensely envious and bitter rather than simple rivals. Let's instead win some stuff and then gloat in their direction.

It would be great to see Leeds have a real go at the Cup. The club's record in it is shocking. I can remember a quarter final loss to Wolves, and of course the famous semi final cliffhanger v Coventry in 1987.

But since then the club has always seemed to have other issues - even in '87 the focus was on promotion. Plus the reality is a Championship club has a very low chance of winning it so it made little sense to focus on what would simply add to the number of games. But for once the club seems fairly comfortable and can have some expectation of winning a few rounds. While I can see Ayling, Klich and a couple of others being rested, Bielsa just might have the idea of getting to Wembley at the very back of his mind.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,185 ✭✭✭championc

There is no real reason to rest players. They played a week ago and they won't play for another week. If anything, you'd want to keep the first 11 sharp

championc wrote: »
    There is no real reason to rest players. They played a week ago and they won't play for another week. If anything, you'd want to keep the first 11 sharp

Klich and Phillips look jaded. Having them, and others fresh for Brighton could be significant. They should be pretty exhausted also having to play away at Newport tomorrow, Man City on Wednesday and us on Saturday. That's a hell of a lot of travel in six days from the south coast of England and I expect them to struggle. A good week ahead for us I think.

Klich and Phillips look jaded. Having them, and others fresh for Brighton could be significant. They should be pretty exhausted also having to play away at Newport tomorrow, Man City on Wednesday and us on Saturday. That's a hell of a lot of travel in six days from the south coast of England and I expect them to struggle. A good week ahead for us I think.

I agree, especially Klich, his game revolves around covering space, I would give him as much rest as possible after a hectic few weeks.
    We definitely have enough quality to come in and take care of business tomorrow
    I want to see more of Shackleton, I think he could turn into real quality under Bielsa

• Advertisement

Klich and Phillips look jaded...

Think Philips suspended for a couple of league games now, so he has a rest coming up anyway.

Would give Klich, Ayling, Dallas and Harrison, and maybe Bamford, a break anyway, a chance to see some of the players brought in last summer, a couple were English under 21s afair,

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement