Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Leeds United Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours 2020/2021

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,911 ✭✭✭Seathrun66

How did Dallas not get a yellow for taking out White?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,117 ✭✭✭jacool

Struijk needs replacing. Stick Shackleton on and maybe swap Harrison to the left.
    Bissouma coming on for Brighton in an effort to shore up.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,070 ✭✭✭purple hands

Did we keep the receipt for Rodrigo?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,070 ✭✭✭✭event

Did we keep the receipt for Rodrigo?

Ah ill give him a bit more time. He's playing out of position plus he had COVID

This feels much worse than last week.

• Advertisement

Disappointing. Needed a win here, we've a tough run now

• Registered Users, Subscribers, Registered Users 2 Posts: 47,336 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

Grim stuff, that was a game we were more than capable of winning.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 5,015 Mod ✭✭✭✭GoldFour4

The table doesn’t say it but we are absolutely in a relegation battle.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,922 ✭✭✭Ceist_Beag

Slightly hammered, I just put $100 on us to win tomorrow, don’t fail me now Leeds

It just had to end in defeat after this! Really disappointing performance. We need to get our act together quickly. It does have to be said the pitch is shocking, I think our better results will come away from home.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,024 ✭✭✭10000maniacs

Thats it. Second best.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,117 ✭✭✭jacool

Shocking pitch.
    Poor performance - improvements near the end but they just ran down the clock.
    Amazed we only got the 3 mins extra because they had 3 players down in the second half and I thought the ref might add something on more than just the 30 seconds per sub. Pablo was in his ear for each delayed throw-in and restart, but they milked it.
    Thought with Tau giving us the ball back each time he touched it we might do something, but overall the side looked very flat.
    Leeds had a week off and yet tired way before Brighton who played mid-week.

Still don't see how Poveda is let near a pitch - what is his story?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,289 ✭✭✭stryker mcqueen

First time this season I've been concerned, it worries me that MB doesn't think we need to strengthen, we need another body in midfield, imagine playing against us and seeing Tyler Roberts coming on?!

*tbf Roberts did OK

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,016 Mod ✭✭✭✭whiterebel

That’s the worst pitch I’ve seen in a long time. Our passing game is done for in home matches, if its going to be like that. Struijk was immediately more comfortable playing at CB. How can Bielsa keep trying to play him in midfield? At least Roberts looked lively when he came on, and I thought Harrison had a good game. Some difference if we score the early chance, but that seems to be our story in a lot of games.

• Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭OutTheGap

We were very lethargic today, didn’t deserve anything.

In the first half of the season, Bamford played out of his skin but it looks like he might be back to his usual level (no offence meant)

I’d worry about our attacking options. Rodrigo was anonymous, Raphinha never got into the game. Poveda, Roberts and Pablo aren’t really up to it (even though Roberts did okay today) Harrison was the only attacker that looked dangerous.

Are we planning on buying anybody this window? Hard to see where the next win will come from if we keep playing like that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

OutTheGap wrote: »
    We were very lethargic today, didn’t deserve anything.

In the first half of the season, Bamford played out of his skin but it looks like he might be back to his usual level (no offence meant)

I’d worry about our attacking options. Rodrigo was anonymous, Raphinha never got into the game. Poveda, Roberts and Pablo aren’t really up to it (even though Roberts did okay today) Harrison was the only attacker that looked dangerous.

Are we planning on buying anybody this window? Hard to see where the next win will come from if we keep playing like that.
    I think Pablo's time is all but done, a few cameos between now and May but he won't play the second year of the contract. As was said above Rodrigo had COVID and he's not the only one to suffer. Werner at Chelsea is the same.

There are problems in midfield, even with Kalvin playing. He too hasn't been the same since the shoulder injury although you'd like to see the experiment with him as CB end. Klich too is below par so that leaves an unbalanced team hoping the wingers can do it. Raphinha adds to a team but not if they are not playing well. He's good but no Ronaldo or Messi.

Finally, in defence there have barely been two consecutive weeks when the same recognised CBs have played together. Hopefully, with Llorente ready to come in and Struijk improving that will change.

The problem is if we keep playing like we did for the last two weeks, I cannot see where we are going to get the 12 points needed to stay up.
    I hope I am wrong.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,509 ✭✭✭Damo 2k9

Struijk looked like he was lost at sea playing CDM, how MB let it go on for as long as he did is beyond me.

Rodrigo seemed to be playing a lot higher up the pitch today, so we lost his presence in midfield, klich was very poor so it left us completely open in the middle.

Raphinha on the left didn't really make sense to me either, I like them switching but they didn't switch once.

Will be interesting to see what happens in the transfer window, if anything at all.

Southampton is postponed. Maybe just as well. I would have predicted a creaming down there.

Southampton is postponed. Maybe just as well. I would have predicted a creaming down there.

With the state of our pitch and lack of fans I'd happily play our remaining games away from home

No game now for 10 days. Newcastle away on the 26th.

We have 10 days on the training pitch, Phillips be back, Llorente should be up to speed, if Meslier has COVID he should be back.

That NEEDS to be a win

• Advertisement

With the state of our pitch and lack of fans I'd happily play our remaining games away from home

Yeah true.

event wrote: »
    No game now for 10 days. Newcastle away on the 26th.

We have 10 days on the training pitch, Phillips be back, Llorente should be up to speed, if Meslier has COVID he should be back.

That NEEDS to be a win

A lot of them need to practice their five yard passing. Woeful today.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,495 ✭✭✭✭Mushy

The table doesn’t say it but we are absolutely in a relegation battle.

I wouldnt go this far yet, but nothing to say they couldnt be dragged into one yet. And as always, if they cant get 12-15 points from now till end if season, they dont really deserve to stay up. There are enough poor teams there to make it a bit more comfortable

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,578 ✭✭✭newhouse87

Somebody on here lately predicted top 10, if we finish above 15th i would be surprised. Klich looks out of it, was never fast but his legs seems gone completely and we are being over-run in midfield every game, his passing has been atrocious, said earlier in the thread paying 30m for a last contract unproven goal scorer by orta was not the wisest move, if bamford has his usual streak of blanks its hard to see where we will score from, harrison certainly is not the man to help in that regard should have buried one today, I do feel however west brom sheff utd are destined for the drop so hoping we will just have enough to stay up but re-enforcements are needed in the summer, bielsas magic with a mediocre group of players can only last so long.

Yep, the midfield need to contribute a good bit more goals wise tbh

Southampton is a home game. Though with the state of our pitch that's of little advantage to us.

Getting really pissed off with the various social media outlets making the same joke when Leeds lose.... A breath of fresh air, but they run loads etc etc

23 points and newly promoted, despite poor form we are in a great position and have absolutely spanked a couple of teams.

• Registered Users Posts: 712 ✭✭✭Jimmy Two Times

Looked much better when Struijk went into the back 4 but we struggle when playing against a back 3 / 5.

Second half was like so many games last season when we had all the ball on the flanks but couldn't do anything in and around the box with their packed defence.

I'd give Pat a pass on this one. Really difficult playing three against one and Rodrigo was little help to him. If he pushed up it was easy for them to break,if he didn't,Pat was on his own. It's a conundrum that needs to be solved. Having said that,his goals have dried up in recent weeks.

I'd maybe look at giving Raphinha a go in that Rodrigo / Hernandez role,he seems happy to do the tracking and covering.

Looked much better when Struijk went into the back 4 but we struggle when playing against a back 3 / 5.

Second half was like so many games last season when we had all the ball on the flanks but couldn't do anything in and around the box with their packed defence.

I'd give Pat a pass on this one. Really difficult playing three against one and Rodrigo was little help to him. If he pushed up it was easy for them to break,if he didn't,Pat was on his own. It's a conundrum that needs to be solved. Having said that,his goals have dried up in recent weeks.

I'd maybe look at giving Raphinha a go in that Rodrigo / Hernandez role,he seems happy to do the tracking and covering.
    Agree with that, although I think when Struijk went into the back 4, he certainly looked better but we still had the issue in DM as Klich was no better there. We don't have a good (or even decent) replacement for Phillips in there.
    Rodrigo is struggling alright so it's worth considering someone else in there. For all his criticism this season I thought Roberts actually looked good when he came on so maybe he still has something to offer in that role. Raphinha would be another good shout with Poveda coming in on the wing.
    We have gone through similar spells in the past few seasons so I have no doubt we will get through this, hopefully this break allows us a chance to regroup.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,669 ✭✭✭adaminho

Llorente with a goal for the U23's from a Phillips cross.

I do think a lot of our midfield problems will be sorted when Llorente/Koch back as it frees up Dallas to go in to midfield. His energy is under-rated a lot

Our best formation and 11 for me is still

Ayling--Coope/Llorente--Koch--Alioski

Raphina--Klich--Phillips--Dallas--Harrison

Bamford

Other option is alioski out for Rodrigo, Dallas to LB. But I would rather it above and then use Rodrigo from the bench as a striker for the last 20. And Alioski has been very good.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,669 ✭✭✭adaminho

I do think a lot of our midfield problems will be sorted when Llorente/Koch back as it frees up Dallas to go in to midfield. His energy is under-rated a lot

Bamford

Other option is alioski out for Rodrigo, Dallas to LB. But I would rather it above and then use Rodrigo from the bench as a striker for the last 20. And Alioski has been very good.
    Both Koch and Llorente can play holding midfield allowing Phillips a rest.

Bamford

I definitely prefer Dallas at LB over Alioski.

Yeah me too and it allows us to move to a back 3 when they play 2 up front. Dallas is much more versatile than Alioski. But in fairness to him, he's been ok this year. I had my doubts about him. Put it this way, I think he has been better than Rodrigo

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,014 ✭✭✭Eggs For Dinner

Poveda & Costa were shocking for the U23s today. Both easily muscled off the ball by young lads

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,218 ✭✭✭NuckChorris1

Poveda & Costa were shocking for the U23s today. Both easily muscled off the ball by young lads

If the club's lawyer will be good enough to get them out of the Jean Kevin Augustin fee, then maybe they should try and send Costa back and dodge the remaining instalments!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,003 ✭✭✭Carcharodon

Ceist_Beag wrote: »
    Well at least we'll know who to blame...

I’ll take the blame for this one, it wasn’t the worst decision I made last weekend, I have vague recollections of watching the game....hot mess express

I’ll take the blame for this one, it wasn’t the worst decision I made last weekend, I have vague recollections of watching the game....hot mess express

Just bet €100 on Newcastle and our opponents until we're safe from relegation and all will be forgiven! :P

• Registered Users Posts: 1,070 ✭✭✭purple hands

Bamford

That looks pretty good to me. Alioski is fine, appreciate that he's not the best defensively, but great energy and need him getting forward in support of the system.

I probably moaned about Dallas at CM before but he would offer more solidity than Rodrigo, who seems to play a little too high up the pitch. Even Pablo seems better in that CM role, as he knows to come deeper to collect passes and provides far more control and composure there. Just doesn't have the legs anymore :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,509 ✭✭✭Damo 2k9

That looks pretty good to me. Alioski is fine, appreciate that he's not the best defensively, but great energy and need him getting forward in support of the system.

I probably moaned about Dallas at CM before but he would offer more solidity than Rodrigo, who seems to play a little too high up the pitch. Even Pablo seems better in that CM role, as he knows to come deeper to collect passes and provides far more control and composure there. Just doesn't have the legs anymore :(

Its Rodrigos natural position unfortunately, itll take a bit longer to get that out of him, hes played high up the pitch his whole career.

Playing so many players out of position week in week out is going to have results up/down, we have been unlucky with injuries at CB but it shows that we dont have a huge amount of depth at all.

• Advertisement

Im convinced we signed Rodrigo as a forward to replace Bamford or provide competition anyway.

But then the Cuisance deal fell through and the De Paul one never happened. Plus Bamford started in the form of his life. So we have shoehorned Rodrigo in to there. No way he can learn how to play that position properly, he'll be 30 in March

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,016 Mod ✭✭✭✭whiterebel

Im convinced we signed Rodrigo as a forward to replace Bamford or provide competition anyway.

But then the Cuisance deal fell through and the De Paul one never happened. Plus Bamford started in the form of his life. So we have shoehorned Rodrigo in to there. No way he can learn how to play that position properly, he'll be 30 in March

You took the words out of my mouth.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,003 ✭✭✭Carcharodon

Poveda really lacks strength and it doesn’t seem like he will ever have that physicality in his game like other small players.
    He really does look like a little kid being shoved off the ball at times
    Costa....well, what can we say about him at this point

Nice to see Leicester doing so well and though the odds are against them I'd love to see a second title head that way. I also didn't begrudge them the win against us as they outclassed us and far more preferable champions to most of the elite teams.

Seathrun66 wrote: »
    Nice to see Leicester doing so well and though the odds are against them I'd love to see a second title head that way. I also didn't begrudge them the win against us as they outclassed us and far more preferable champions to most of the elite teams.

Really? Didn't they pull strokes to drop £100M+ of debt?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,218 ✭✭✭NuckChorris1

Seathrun66 wrote: »

It was a great win for them last night but I really hope it doesn't have a bad effect at Chelsea. Poor Frank Lampard must be under pressure already and he needs lots of time to build a "culture" and "group vision" at the club with the very young team that he has. He's worked his socks off an earned the job at Chelsea with amazing achievement at Derby taking them from 6th to 6th whilst only signing 12 players in his very loyal 1 year there. Scouting academies and U23 games to find talent like Havertz, Werner and Chilwell hasn't been easy and it'll take time to mould them into players he needs them to be but elder journeymen players like Kante, Giroud and Silva will be there to show them the ropes.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,434 ✭✭✭Lamper.sffc

While it hasnt been a good few weeks as a Leeds supporter. I do always like a silver lining. Thank you Frank Lampard

What a man

https://www.bbc.com/sport/football/55727805
    Leeds United striker Patrick Bamford has donated £5,000 to a local primary school to help children access remote learning during lockdown.

Beeston Primary School, located near Leeds' Elland Road stadium, says the money will be invested in technology that can be loaned out and will fund 20 iPads for "those who are most in need".

The school said Bamford, 27, had got in touch "to see how he could help".

"We are absolutely blown away by his generosity," the school said.

"When he learned how many children and families are struggling to access remote learning at home he personally donated £5,000."

Bamford plans to stay in touch with the school and sent a video message to pupils.

"I know these are hard times," he said. "Whether you're at home homeschooling, or adapting in your new bubble, I've heard you've all been working really hard and doing really well.

"I know it can be tough to concentrate at the moment, I'm sure there are a lot of distractions going on whether you're at home or at school, just keep going because the tough times won't last and we'll all come through the other side.

"I'll be here all the way supporting you all."

• Registered Users, Subscribers, Registered Users 2 Posts: 47,336 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

February fixtures and TV coverage details have just been announced

Leeds United v Everton
    New fixture date: Wednesday 3rd February 2021
    New kick-off time: 7:30pm live on BT Sport

Arsenal v Leeds United
    New fixture date: Sunday 14th February 2021
    New kick-off time: 4:30pm live on Sky Sports

Leeds United v Aston Villa
    Fixture date: Saturday 27th February 2021
    New kick-off time: 5:30pm live on Sky Sports

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

Zaph wrote: »
    February fixtures and TV coverage details have just been announced

Leeds United v Everton
    New fixture date: Wednesday 3rd February 2021
    New kick-off time: 7:30pm live on BT Sport

Arsenal v Leeds United
    New fixture date: Sunday 14th February 2021
    New kick-off time: 4:30pm live on Sky Sports

Leeds United v Aston Villa
    Fixture date: Saturday 27th February 2021
    New kick-off time: 5:30pm live on Sky Sports
    Apparently all EPL games will be live on TV during February.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement