Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Leeds United Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours 2020/2021

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,986 ✭✭✭Seathrun66

whiterebel wrote: »
    Really? Didn't they pull strokes to drop £100M+ of debt?

Not that I'm aware of. What's the source on that?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,289 ✭✭✭stryker mcqueen

Zaph wrote: »
    February fixtures and TV coverage details have just been announced

Leeds United v Everton
    New fixture date: Wednesday 3rd February 2021
    New kick-off time: 7:30pm live on BT Sport

Arsenal v Leeds United
    New fixture date: Sunday 14th February 2021
    New kick-off time: 4:30pm live on Sky Sports

Leeds United v Aston Villa
    Fixture date: Saturday 27th February 2021
    New kick-off time: 5:30pm live on Sky Sports

Valentines day sorted :pac:

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,043 Mod ✭✭✭✭whiterebel

Seathrun66 wrote: »
    Not that I'm aware of. What's the source on that?

2013 their rich owner basically turned debt into shares which he bought. As far as I remember the League were after them for it, but they were promoted and the fairy tale continue. I think he sold himself the ground as well. It all left a very sour taste, and I think the loophole was closed after.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,077 ✭✭✭✭event

Yeah they pulled a few strokes when in the Championship

• Registered Users Posts: 715 ✭✭✭Jimmy Two Times

Shlippery wrote: »

Mine arrived today. Obviously can't get it framed for a few weeks but it's massive and is going to look deadly when all finished and on the wall.

Oh I might have to order than now, but worried about being stung for customs

• Registered Users Posts: 2,263 ✭✭✭Shlippery

Mine arrived today. Obviously can't get it framed for a few weeks but it's massive and is going to look deadly when all finished and on the wall.

Yea, saw they'd been sent out on Twitter...be sure to show it off here! Will wait a week til payday and treat myself then!

Nice one!!

edit: re: customs - any hassle as it's over the €22 threshold for VAT exemption? or did they just deliver the tube in the post

Came via An Post, in a van though,not the fella on the bike.

I got two of them and nothing about extra charges.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,676 ✭✭✭adaminho

Came via An Post, in a van though,not the fella on the bike.

I got two of them and nothing about extra charges.

I ordered 3 prints from art of football 2 weeks ago that came to 36 pounds and didn't pay any extra tax.

https://art-of-football.com/search?type=article%2Cpage%2Cproduct&q=Leeds*+United**

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,070 ✭✭✭purple hands

Some pics of ER pitch being relaid on twitter.

Thought it was meant to take weeks but maybe it's some form of short-term fix and the other issues with drainage etc. to be done another time

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,043 Mod ✭✭✭✭whiterebel

Yes,it'll be ready for the next home game, apparently.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,541 ✭✭✭✭Mushy

Think just new turf, not a full job

2013 their rich owner basically turned debt into shares which he bought. As far as I remember the League were after them for it, but they were promoted and the fairy tale continue. I think he sold himself the ground as well. It all left a very sour taste, and I think the loophole was closed after.

Financial experts, the football league and fans all applauded that at the time. The Thai owners clearer the £103m debt but turned it into shares so as to show commitment to the club. As it was in shares they couldn't ever ask for the money back. There were no Fair Play issues with that at all.

The equivalent is Radrizzani paying off all of Leeds debt but then putting it into shares so he could never bankrupt the club by demanding it back.

Who did you think the sour taste was with?

Financial experts, the football league and fans all applauded that at the time. The Thai owners clearer the £103m debt but turned it into shares so as to show commitment to the club. As it was in shares they couldn't ever ask for the money back. There were no Fair Play issues with that at all.

The equivalent is Radrizzani paying off all of Leeds debt but then putting it into shares so he could never bankrupt the club by demanding it back.

Who did you think the sour taste was with?

Football fans certainly didn’t applaud it. What’s the difference between what they did and Man City or Chelsea owners just spending their money to buy players? If they sell the club they’ll make sure to their money back.

More murky dealings https://www.theguardian.com/football/2016/apr/11/leicester-city-finances-football-league-financial-fair-play-investigation

They pulled the stroke on the ownership just before FFP rules came in, which they would have failed badly with their outgoings.

• Advertisement

Football fans certainly didn’t applaud it. What’s the difference between what they did and Man City or Chelsea owners just spending their money to buy players? If they sell the club they’ll make sure to their money back.

Leicester fans did and I don't recall other fans objecting at the time. It's churlish to complain when a new owner clears a club's debts, particularly by a means that ensures they're unable to demand the cash back. Everything was within the rules, and transparent, unlike Leeds with Bates and the dodgy offshore cash that nobody ever got to the bottom of. Criticising other clubs when we've behaved like this is hypocritical:

http://www.theguardian.com/football/blog/2009/mar/04/leeds-united-ken-bates

In terms of Vichai Srivaddhanaprabha getting his money back via share/club sales that is assuming the price stays even or goes up. He took a gamble, as all owners do, and could have lost out.

Leicester fans did and I don't recall other fans objecting at the time. It's churlish to complain when a new owner clears a club's debts, particularly by a means that ensures they're unable to demand the cash back. Everything was within the rules, and transparent, unlike Leeds with Bates and the dodgy offshore cash that nobody ever got to the bottom of. Criticising other clubs when we've behaved like this is hypocritical:

http://www.theguardian.com/football/blog/2009/mar/04/leeds-united-ken-bates

In terms of Vichai Srivaddhanaprabha getting his money back via share/club sales that is assuming the price stays even or goes up. He took a gamble, as all owners do, and could have lost out.

You didn't seem to recall it all earlier this week, but now seem to remember everything about it. I don't recall saying our owners were saints, so don't go there with your hypocritical bs. There wasn't many outside of Leicester lauding them for their owner pulling an obvious stroke. Once they were promoted he was always going to get his money back. He bought out £30M of debt and when promoted it was worth €400M+.

And BTW, I haven't been to ER since those Gangsters took over, Bates and Cellino, because I wouldn't be a part of funding their shenanigans. So don't go throwing around words like hypocrite when you don't know what you're talking about.

And BTW, I haven't been to ER since those Gangsters took over, Bates and Cellino, because I wouldn't be a part of funding their shenanigans. So don't go throwing around words like hypocrite when you don't know what you're talking about.

Get that but the Club is about much more than the dodgy owners. In my view if you support the club you support it from top to bottom. There are a large number of people depending on Leeds United for their livelihoods so spending a few quid on match tickets,merchandise or whatever does a lot more than just keep the like of Bates and Cellino comfortable.

If you'd had said that you hadn't gone because the football was appalling, that's something else :D.

Whole new ball game now, proper owners,great manager,decent standard of football and some atmosphere at the games before lockdown.

The night we came back from 2 down against Millwall to win 3-2 was unforgettable.We'd just lost to Wednesday and QPR so this really looked like a turnaround..........Tuesday Millwall and then Saturday Wigan at home. What could possibly go wrong ?

• Advertisement

I'd have to disagree JTT. From Krasner days until Radz took over, as a club we were an embarrassment to the local community as well. Admin to shed debt, catching local suppliers out, while certain B*st*rds had their little bolt hole in Monaco. Setting up radio stations, with club money. All vanity projects. Honestly I never though we'd see blue sky again, but our guy is a breath of fresh air. I even expected to get relegated this year, at least if we do, we'll be financially sound, and trying to play good football.

You didn't seem to recall it all earlier this week, but now seem to remember everything about it. I don't recall saying our owners were saints, so don't go there with your hypocritical bs. There wasn't many outside of Leicester lauding them for their owner pulling an obvious stroke. Once they were promoted he was always going to get his money back. He bought out £30M of debt and when promoted it was worth €400M+.

Your quote earlier in the week - 'Really? Didn't they pull strokes to drop £100M+ of debt?'

Of course I didn't recall it earlier in the week as it is nonsense. No fair play breached at all and no ramifications for Leicester unless you can point me to any charges by the EFL or PL. The debt clearance I was aware of and any club would be happy with that. I heard nothing but envy from other supporters.

In terms of getting money back from a football club I think your optimism is at odds with the reality of almost all clubs being loss-making ventures.

And for the record I'm not calling you a hypocrite, I'm just saying that as supporters of Leeds we need to be wary of being critical of other clubs finances given the obvious criminality that was occurring under Bates and Forward Sports Funds. We can disagree on points here and still be civil. Apologies if you took that to be personal, it wasn't meant to be. Enjoy your weekend.

Your quote earlier in the week - 'Really? Didn't they pull strokes to drop £100M+ of debt?'

Of course I didn't recall it earlier in the week as it is nonsense. No fair play breached at all and no ramifications for Leicester unless you can point me to any charges by the EFL or PL. The debt clearance I was aware of and any club would be happy with that. I heard nothing but envy from other supporters.

In terms of getting money back from a football club I think your optimism is at odds with the reality of almost all clubs being loss-making ventures.

And for the record I'm not calling you a hypocrite, I'm just saying that as supporters of Leeds we need to be wary of being critical of other clubs finances given the obvious criminality that was occurring under Bates and Forward Sports Funds. We can disagree on points here and still be civil. Apologies if you took that to be personal, it wasn't meant to be. Enjoy your weekend.

I don't think anyone could deny the shenanigans that went on over the years at Leeds but the point is we got hammered with a double points deduction were as others got off scot free! AFAIK Q.P.R. are in court this week trying to overturn a 42m fair play fine which they skipped when they got promoted in 2011, that's ten years they've dodged it! I'd recomend listening to this podcast https://podcasts.google.com/feed/aHR0cHM6Ly9hdWRpb2Jvb20uY29tL2NoYW5uZWxzLzUwMzY1MDkucnNz/episode/dGFnOmF1ZGlvYm9vbS5jb20sMjAyMC0xMS0xOTovcG9zdHMvNzczMzg3MA?hl=en-GB&ved=2ahUKEwjq_6S1-5DtAhWRh1wKHU8pCH0QjrkEegQIDBAF&ep=6

adaminho wrote: »
    I don't think anyone could deny the shenanigans that went on over the years at Leeds but the point is we got hammered with a double points deduction were as others got off scot free! AFAIK Q.P.R. are in court this week trying to overturn a 42m fair play fine which they skipped when they got promoted in 2011, that's ten years they've dodged it! I'd recomend listening to this podcast https://podcasts.google.com/feed/aHR0cHM6Ly9hdWRpb2Jvb20uY29tL2NoYW5uZWxzLzUwMzY1MDkucnNz/episode/dGFnOmF1ZGlvYm9vbS5jb20sMjAyMC0xMS0xOTovcG9zdHMvNzczMzg3MA?hl=en-GB&ved=2ahUKEwjq_6S1-5DtAhWRh1wKHU8pCH0QjrkEegQIDBAF&ep=6

That was for going into administration in 2007. The really dodgy offshore stuff continued for years after and we were very lucky to escape proper censure. Mainly because it was so complex that the investigators were unable to get to the bottom of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,263 ✭✭✭Shlippery

Meslier due back tomorrow but still no Koch.

https://twitter.com/PhilHay_/status/1353642858767646724

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,511 ✭✭✭Damo 2k9

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,218 ✭✭✭NuckChorris1

Radz said his £100m investment trebled in value when we got promoted so this SF49 purchase of shares should be for £63m. I think redevelopment of the stadium and hospitality etc will use up all of that. From any mentions of Paraag by Phil Hay he seems to have settled in well at Leeds and has helped a lot with ideas and expertise.

The 49ers increasing their stake is interesting. Up to 37% now, that pretty high. Over next few years, I'd expect them to become majority owners

Radz said his £100m investment trebled in value when we got promoted so this SF49 purchase of shares should be for £63m. I think redevelopment of the stadium and hospitality etc will use up all of that. From any mentions of Paraag by Phil Hay he seems to have settled in well at Leeds and has helped a lot with ideas and expertise.

If that's accurate then I'd expect it to be invested in the Summer. Bielsa this morning said there were no arrivals imminent in January.

It's a big vote of confidence for the team and management and next season should see us competing for European places.

• Advertisement

One thing we should get used to, is these American owners dont like spending their own money.

Kroenke at arsenal
    FSG at Liverpool
    Glazers at man u

They take over clubs that they think can make a huge amount commercially (like leeds if they build it right) and use th clubs own money.

The Yorks who own the 49ers, a lot would say it hasn't been great.

event wrote: »
    One thing we should get used to, is these American owners dont like spending their own money.

Kroenke at arsenal
    FSG at Liverpool
    Glazers at man u

They take over clubs that they think can make a huge amount commercially (like leeds if they build it right) and use th clubs own money.

The 3 examples you gave are completely different! Kroenke was harvesting money to pay for SoFi stadium, The Glazers were going for the Superbowl! Fsg and the 49'ers are both looking at looking at long term and making money off the redevelopment of the ground!

Yes but they don't invest loads of money, or their own money anyway.

So if they became majority owners, wouldn't see the spending spree like Radz did in the summer.

Not saying its a bad thing, just so that we are aware

Yes but they don't invest loads of money, or their own money anyway.

So if they became majority owners, wouldn't see the spending spree like Radz did in the summer.

Not saying its a bad thing, just so that we are aware

They've invested 63m at this stage! It seems's that they want to use their expertise to invest in the stadium!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,007 ✭✭✭Carcharodon

Kroenke at arsenal
    FSG at Liverpool
    Glazers at man u

Yea, I’ve lived in San Francisco for nearly 20 years now and I’ve followed the niners close enough for a while now. They have made some wreckless decisions over the past decade, especially moving the stadium from San Francisco to Santa Clara, easily an hour away in traffic. Plus the stadium is very under whelming, bit of a concrete jungle with no soul, just corporate boxes.

Saying that, I think Jed York has learned a lot through all the ups and downs, I feel like he has delegated more, they have made a lot better management and coaching choices the past few years.

Iam not super enthusiastic about the niners taking more control cos I know all they really care about is making money, as is every business but it would be a shame for the fans to start getting screwed over with ticket prices and things like that.

adaminho wrote: »
    They've invested 63m at this stage! It seems's that they want to use their expertise to invest in the stadium!

I mean for transfers. We won't be going on spending sprees.

Piece in the athletic says Radz spent so much in the summer because he knew the investment was coming.

Can't see that level of investment every year, nor would I want it

Yea, I’ve lived in San Francisco for nearly 20 years now and I’ve followed the niners close enough for a while now. They have made some wreckless decisions over the past decade, especially moving the stadium from San Francisco to Santa Clara, easily an hour away in traffic. Plus the stadium is very under whelming, bit of a concrete jungle with no soul, just corporate boxes.

Saying that, I think Jed York has learned a lot through all the ups and downs, I feel like he has delegated more, they have made a lot better management and coaching choices the past few years.

Iam not super enthusiastic about the niners taking more control cos I know all they really care about is making money, as is every business but it would be a shame for the fans to start getting screwed over with ticket prices and things like that.

Thats it. American owners in the league hasn't always resulted in great experience for fans. Liverpool winning things is more down to Klopp than FSG.

In fairness, FSG have backed Klopp pretty well. Van Dijk, Mane, Diota, Salah, Allison. Big money spent, but good money coming in as well. Rads talking about going after the top 6 is going to need big investment in the team. I don’t know is 49ers will provide that kind of spending.

In fairness, FSG have backed Klopp pretty well. Van Dijk, Mane, Diota, Salah, Allison. Big money spent, but good money coming in as well. Rads talking about going after the top 6 is going to need big investment in the team. I don’t know is 49ers will provide that kind of spending.

I hate the phrase, but the net spend is pretty low. They spent the Coutinho money and the money they earned from the CL run.

They have run the club brilliantly and I would love that type of owner with us.

Its just to make us aware that they dont inject loads of money every year for transfers. We arent making any signings in January because we spent about 100m in the summer.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,218 ✭✭✭NuckChorris1

Co-founder of YouTube and investor in other sports franchises says he's part of the SF49ers team that increased their stake yesterday. As event said earlier, they're not spending all of "their own money". It's gotta be very positive overall compared to our ridiculous past twenty years. I think as long as Radz/Orta/Kinnear are in charge the soul will always be there in Leeds United, would just worry about that a bit if/when the 49ers take full control.

Great chance to turn around our form tonight. Very important to get a result when it should really be there for the taking. I'm saying 1-3 with Bamford on the scoresheet.

Ownership is such a lottery. Owners can be billionaires and be disastrous like the Venkys, seemingly bad owners can suddenly seem great after a few good months, like Aston Villa, very supportive owners like Mel Morris at Derby might just not be able to run a club. I think at this rate all one can ever do is hope they're not involved in genocide, or massive human rights abuses, like the owners of Man City or the Qatari group that was linked with Leeds...and the rest is ion the lap of the Gods.

Really worried about tonight. First time being nervous this year tbh. A win is essential. If we dont get a win here, vs a very poor newcastle team and after having 10 days to prepare the rest of the year will be a struggle imo

Really worried about tonight. First time being nervous this year tbh. A win is essential. If we dont get a win here, vs a very poor newcastle team and after having 10 days to prepare the rest of the year will be a struggle imo

If they cant beat Newcastle it's hard to say they deserve to stay up. It's like 2 points in 30 for them or something. But they're gifted leeds in January so they cant refuse that free offer of 3 points

All we need to hear is the usual doom for Leeds..."Newcastle haven't won in xxxxx matches....."

And I thought I was worrying too much about tonight! Not the only one I see.

Taking some comfort from Kalvin being back. Probably too soon for Llorente to play.

But really is a massive game, need three points on the board before a prolonged run of tough games.

• Advertisement

I think Newcastle could win tonight. I wouldn't regard it as the sky falling in either, they still have plenty of decent players and will be playing for their manager's career. They are in a relegation battle and will regard every home game as crucial.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,947 ✭✭✭Ceist_Beag

I'm not as pessimistic as you guys. Kalvin back is a big plus, it goes without saying we're a different team with him in it. Away from home is also a plus I feel given our recent form at home. Newcastle are struggling with confidence so the first goal is crucial.
    It's pretty grim reading on both form sheets though isn't it! One team with 5 defeats and 1 goal all month. The other with 3 defeats and no goals all month. A pundit would be forgiven for predicting a 0-0 draw!
    With my optimistic hat on I expect us to get something tonight and I expect us to score - I mean surely we can't go the whole month without a goal!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,511 ✭✭✭Damo 2k9

I think we are in a good position going into tonight, ideally we have Llorente and Cooper at CB, allowing Ayling and Dallas back into position. Missing Philip's against Brighton really showed how much he does in midfield for us.

Wowzer, Klich on the bench tonight.

Didn't see that coming.

Wowzer, Klich on the bench tonight.

Didn't see that coming.

Came to say exact same. Thinking it will allow Rodrigo stay more forward and Dallas will do the donkey work beside him

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement