Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Leeds United Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours 2020/2021

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,289 ✭✭✭stryker mcqueen

Look at Stuart Dallas for that goal, unbelievable

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,578 ✭✭✭newhouse87

well i was completely wrong on this one, its unreal the effort they put in.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,586 ✭✭✭cmac2009

So unselfish from Bamford, rare to see that in a striker these days. Well done, timed it perfectly.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

11 goals and 5 assists for Patrick Bamford in 20 Premier League appearances! Happy to find my doubts of him have gone completely!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 416 ✭✭Wingman2010

A super win!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,070 ✭✭✭✭event

event wrote: »
    NO idea why, but feel we can get something here today. They are 3rd, only Man City have won more games, 3rd top scorers in the league

But they have lost 4 of their 5 game at home. Dunno why, a wave of optimism has just hit me

Ahem :pac:

For the game midweek I wore my Leeds training top, hadnt in a while. Then wore it again today. So in fact I am directly responsible for those 6 points and now I have to wear it until we lose :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,024 ✭✭✭10000maniacs

I cannot believe it. 3:1, If we play like that every week we are up there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,495 ✭✭✭✭Mushy

Be running out of superlatives for that performance. Amazing game, didn't panic with the Leicester switch and got a well deserved win ultimately

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,218 ✭✭✭NuckChorris1

Time to stop looking down the table?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,014 ✭✭✭Eggs For Dinner

Probably the most mature performance of the season. Waited for the right time to raid. With injuries mounting, we needed those points. MOT.

• Advertisement

Would it be Leeds if we didn't? 4 points away from 6th but trying to figure out if Fulham could make up 15 points in remaining games

• Registered Users, Subscribers, Registered Users 2 Posts: 47,336 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

That was probably our most assured and impressive performance of the season. No panic when Leicester changed at half time or when they threw everything at us after we took the lead. Superb and very mature game from Bamford, how many strikers would have had a go for the third, especially when they'd been on a bit of a scoring drought? Only worries are the knocks Rodrigo and Raphinha picked up, hopefully neither are serious.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,994 ✭✭✭c.p.w.g.w

Zaph wrote: »
    That was probably our most assured and impressive performance of the season. No panic when Leicester changed at half time or when they threw everything at us after we took the lead. Superb and very mature game from Bamford, how many strikers would have had a go for the third, especially when they'd been on a bit of a scoring drought? Only worries are the knocks Rodrigo and Raphinha picked up, hopefully neither are serious.

Pascal impressed me today, his header played an important role in our third

Just logged onto the FoxesTalk forum.
    Everyone there is annoyed at Sky's and especially Souness's "w*nk-fest" for Leeds (as they describe it).
    That is one wounded forum LOL.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,331 ✭✭✭Keyzer

Phenomenal performance and a phenomenal result... Delighted.

The lord excelled himself today

Yep, I think so

I think if he doesnt score the 1st, he isnt passing that. Delighted to see it, real awareness
    c.p.w.g.w wrote: »
    Pascal impressed me today, his header played an important role in our third

Ill hold my hands up here, I have long said I dont think he's up to it. He's playing well
    Just logged onto the FoxesTalk forum.
    Everyone there is annoyed at Sky's and especially Souness's "w*nk-fest" for Leeds (as they describe it).
    That is one wounded forum LOL.

Tbf, all pundits love us. And when Bielsa messes up, they just wont criticise him. Its great :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,908 ✭✭✭Seathrun66

Loved how clinical we were today. Eight shots, seven on target. Same on Wednesday please lads.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,205 ✭✭✭fyfe79

Lads, did I read somewhere before that Bamford is eligible for Ireland? Really good player.

That ship has sailed.

And hed be ****e with ireland

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,896 ✭✭✭Hijpo

Struijk and cooper were good, both knew where to go, when to go, who was going and who was staying.
    Struijk was sharp for the 2nd, keep him in CB, dont rush koch and llorente.

Costa needs to be off loaded, take whatever we can get for him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,003 ✭✭✭Carcharodon

fyfe79 wrote: »
    Lads, did I read somewhere before that Bamford is eligible for Ireland? Really good player.

Yep, as event said, that ship has sailed, was a long drawn out thing for a while but he has been pretty clear he doesn’t want to play for Ireland, which is totally understandable.

Hijpo wrote: »
    Struijk and cooper were good, both knew where to go, when to go, who was going and who was staying.

I think its cooper beside him. Talks to him a lot, would tell him where to stand etc. Same when Koch would be with Cooper

• Registered Users Posts: 712 ✭✭✭Jimmy Two Times

is_that_so wrote: »
    11 goals and 5 assists for Patrick Bamford in 20 Premier League appearances! Happy to find my doubts of him have gone completely!

And he won penalties against Fulham and West Ham. Not counting Burnley 'cos he took it himself.

Wouldn't be too harsh on Ayling for their goal,Barnes early shot caught Meslier too who must have thought he was in a decent position. After that he was excellent.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,185 ✭✭✭championc

event wrote: »
    That ship has sailed.

And hed be ****e with ireland

When we get an Irish Manager with a decent reputation, he would possibly reconsider. But IMO, Stephen Kenny is never going to be the name to entice players (who have the ambition to play in tournament finals) to sign up.

I think that was possibly Bamfords first goal for which he put his laces through it. Very uncharacteristic of him, but will have been massive for his confidence. Loved his interview afterwards :)

Yep, as event said, that ship has sailed, was a long drawn out thing for a while but he has been pretty clear he doesn’t want to play for Ireland, which is totally understandable.

He played for us once at U-18 level but has since represented England several times in the underage teams. He's hanging on for an England senior call-up which may come soon as only Harry Kane the only eligible player who's scored more than him (Calvert-Lewin also on 11, as is Vardy but he's retired).

I think that were England to continue to ignore him and a decent Irish team had qualified for the Euros and were headed for the WC in Qatar then there'd be a slight chance. But it ain't happening and it's pretty sad to see us lose all that talent that we'd had at youth level.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,070 ✭✭✭purple hands

Hijpo wrote: »

Costa needs to be off loaded, take whatever we can get for him.

Cooper was back in his natural position of LCB, which helped a lot. Dove in unnecessarily on Albrighton in the first half, but was very solid besides that. Pascal had a few dodgy passes on his right foot, but considering the number of senior appearances (less than 10??), he's doing very well. Hope that pair continues, freeing up Ayling for RB is crucial.

Costa was very disappointing alright, can see now why Wolves let him go.

Cooper was back in his natural position of LCB, which helped a lot. Dove in unnecessarily on Albrighton in the first half, but was very solid besides that. Pascal had a few dodgy passes on his right foot, but considering the number of senior appearances (less than 10??), he's doing very well. Hope that pair continues, freeing up Ayling for RB is crucial.

Costa was very disappointing alright, can see now why Wolves let him go.

Similarly unimpressed with him this season but he's been playing very well for the U-23s and MB keeps giving him senior game time. He's been displaced by Raphinha and that knock to his confidence may have been huge alongside the rejection by Wolves. Just over two years ago he made his debut for Portugal (and scored v Scotland) and hasn't been picked since so his fall has been significant.

The lad may be very anxious, or he may just not be good enough, time will tell. He's got three league goals in 12 games (few, if any, for 90 mins) this season so not a bad return. So we should surely give him a chance?

championc wrote: »
    When we get an Irish Manager with a decent reputation, he would possibly reconsider. But IMO, Stephen Kenny is never going to be the name to entice players (who have the ambition to play in tournament finals) to sign up.

I dont believe thats it tbh. But look at the amount of shots he takes. You dont get that volume of chances with Ireland, regardless of the manager.

And Kenny, rightly or wrongly tries to play football the right way. Another international manager would just lump it up to him.

I dont think he can actually play for us now either. Plus, he has already said this year he hopes to play for England in the euros.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,896 ✭✭✭Hijpo

Seathrun66 wrote: »
    Similarly unimpressed with him this season but he's been playing very well for the U-23s and MB keeps giving him senior game time. He's been displaced by Raphinha and that knock to his confidence may have been huge alongside the rejection by Wolves. Just over two years ago he made his debut for Portugal (and scored v Scotland) and hasn't been picked since so his fall has been significant.

The lad may be very anxious, or he may just not be good enough, time will tell. He's got three league goals in 12 games (few, if any, for 90 mins) this season so not a bad return. So we should surely give him a chance?

Maybe, I just can't ever see him having the strength and confidence Dallas had to win and pass the ball for the 3rd and lacked pace and determination compared to harrison in the chase, he was a good 16 yards behind Harrison in the sprint and I think Harrison started further back.

Not much happening on deadline day, but Adam Pope has said that Conor Shaughnessey could be on his way to Rochdale. He has 6 months left on his contract, which may be cancelled by Leeds.

• Advertisement

Just watching the U23's. Poveda clattered and is carried off with a twisted ankle. Not good.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

Conor Shaughnessy has been released and has gone to Rochdale.

Still on a high from that game yesterday

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,614 ✭✭✭The Golden Miller

I'd be sick now if I was Jonny Howson, watching as Leed's progress. Could of been the hometown hero, club legend, who will now retire into obscurity. Probably would of improved significantly as a player under Bielsa too. But that's what happens when you put greed over loyalty.

Good result over Leicester, although not a surprise, as I thought we should of done more against them the first day out. People saying they did a professional job on us, gave us a lesson etc. Nah, it was hardly a Mourinho masterclass. We dominated and weren't clinical. Game similar yesterday, we just finished and kept it tighter.

Howson took his chance when it presented itself and he would have been a fool not to. At the time, can you honestly say you could see the circus at Elland Road coming to where we are today

Howson took his chance when it presented itself and he would have been a fool not to. At the time, can you honestly say you could see the circus at Elland Road coming to where we are today

Leed's were going through hard times. But he was still given the honour of being the captain of one of England's biggest footballing institutions. He grew up supporting Leed's, that should of been his dream come through regardless of the division. He should of been the one leading the fight to bring Leed's back, not cashing in on a quick pass to the Premier League.

Maybe contacts and money twist a young mind. I'd like to think that I'd rather not win anything with Leed's trying, than succeed elsewhere, and I'm not even from Leed's. For me he's the worst culprit of those who turned their back on the club, and the Leed's fans seem to still have a soft spot for him

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,669 ✭✭✭adaminho

is_that_so wrote: »
    Conor Shaughnessy has been released and has gone to Rochdale.

Jay-Roy Grot gone to VfL Osnabruck, undisclosed.
    Rafa Mujica on loan to Las Palmas

It's interesting too to see the goodwill towards Leed's in Britain in general, newspapers and comments on football pages etc. There was always a bit of goodwill towards them in Ireland, alot of Irish players in O'Learys team and many before that too, and subsequently seen as fallen giants who people would like to see back.

But in England they are despised and always will be, goes deeper than football. Will be interesting to see will that goodwill in Britain hold up when the fans are back? Alot of the younger Premier League fans have no experience of the Leed's fans, and the trouble they bring everywhere. On the flip side, the "us against them" siege mentality is what makes Elland Road such a poisonous atmosphere for the opposition. But Leed's continue to have an inherent problem with football violence, far worse than any other club

Leed's were going through hard times. But he was still given the honour of being the captain of one of England's biggest footballing institutions. He grew up supporting Leed's, that should of been his dream come through regardless of the division. He should of been the one leading the fight to bring Leed's back, not cashing in on a quick pass to the Premier League.

Maybe contacts and money twist a young mind. I'd like to think that I'd rather not win anything with Leed's trying, than succeed elsewhere, and I'm not even from Leed's. For me he's the worst culprit of those who turned their back on the club, and the Leed's fans seem to still have a soft spot for him

You're seriously classing Howson as worse than Kewell? By the time he left Leeds he'd played for them for 6 seasons, half of them in League One. He only missed 7 league games in the three seasons before he left. He was part of the team that missed the playoffs by one spot the season after promotion to the Championship, and they were 11th when he left. Apart from brief flirtations with the playoff spots earlier in the season that was almost as good as it got that year. So it can hardly be surprising that when a Premier League club comes knocking and are interested in signing a 23-yeard old that he goes for it. This was at a time that Leeds were owned by Ken Bates remember. There was no money going into the squad, and Simon Grayson was sacked for criticising that fact. Bates was more interested in putting money into the stadium so he could generate more commercial revenue, he wasn't interested in developing the squad. Kasper Schmeichel and Max Gradel were also sold that year, did they turn their backs on the club? I have good memories of Howson playing for Leeds, and I'm sorry he didn't end up at bigger or better clubs after he left Elland Road, but I certainly can't blame him for doing so.

You're seriously classing Howson as worse than Kewell? By the time he left Leeds he'd played for them for 6 seasons, half of them in League One. He only missed 7 league games in the three seasons before he left. He was part of the team that missed the playoffs by one spot the season after promotion to the Championship, and they were 11th when he left. Apart from brief flirtations with the playoff spots earlier in the season that was almost as good as it got that year. So it can hardly be surprising that when a Premier League club comes knocking and are interested in signing a 23-yeard old that he goes for it. This was at a time that Leeds were owned by Ken Bates remember. There was no money going into the squad, and Simon Grayson was sacked for criticising that fact. Bates was more interested in putting money into the stadium so he could generate more commercial revenue, he wasn't interested in developing the squad. Kasper Schmeichel and Max Gradel were also sold that year, did they turn their backs on the club? I have good memories of Howson playing for Leeds, and I'm sorry he didn't end up at bigger or better clubs after he left Elland Road, but I certainly can't blame him for doing so.

Ignore his bollocks! He thinks we're the most hated club in the country! Howson was right at the time, as was Johnson, Snodgrass, Byram, Taylor, Becchio, Beckford, Gradel! Schmeichel hurts the most. I'd even include Smith!

• Advertisement

He gave good service when there, but why leave? Playing for another club in the Premier League tops captaining your hometown club? Ye Leed's were a mess, so needed him more than ever. Schmeichel and Gradal aren't from Leed's, neither is Kewell. I'd say growing up he was gutted when the likes of Smith left, he shouldn't have done the same.

Be under no illusion, if we stayed in the Championship one more season, Kalvin would have left Similar situation, local boy etc. It's a short career and you must take opportunities when they come up.

adaminho wrote: »
    Ignore his bollocks! He thinks we're the most hated club in the country!

What planet are you living on that you think Leed's aren't the most despised team in England? The most sung chant across the top 4 divisions is "we all hate Leed's scum". They are hated everywhere by English people from other clubs. Infact it's not even close. And I'm saying that as a supporter

Be under no illusion, if we stayed in the Championship one more season, Kalvin would have left Similar situation, local boy etc. It's a short career and you must take opportunities when they come up.

That's my point really. I'd like to think I'd stay no matter what, but when your young and money is thrown at you it must be hard

What planet are you living on that you think Leed's aren't the most despised team in England? The most sung chant across the top 4 divisions is "we all hate Leed's scum". They are hated everywhere by English people from other clubs. Infact it's not even close. And I'm saying that as a supporter

Some supporter! Just cause we chant we all hate Leeds doesn't mean we all hate Leeds! If we went on chant's we'd be Champions, Champions of Europe! I'd say Millwall are way more hated than us!

That's my point really. I'd like to think I'd stay no matter what, but when your young and money is thrown at you it must be hard

It's not just money, it's a chance to play at the highest level, which he did for several seasons at Norwich. If a player lacks ambition you'd have to question why they became professional footballers in the first place. Howson saw an opportunity to pit himself against the best every week and, in the process hopefully improve his own game. He's not going to do that in a team languishing mid-table in the Championship with an owner that doesn't really give a sh*te what happens on the pitch as long as he can make some money out of the club. And that's before things got really mad under Cellino.

I lived in England for three decades and went to see football wherever I lived, across all divisions and non-league also. And I never heard that chant, not even at Leeds games, home or away. May I suggest that you're inventing stuff.

Seathrun66 wrote: »
    I lived in England for three decades and went to see football wherever I lived, across all divisions and non-league also. And I never heard that chant, not even at Leeds games, home or away. May I suggest that you're inventing stuff.

It's regularly chanted. Youtube it. City and Liverpool fans were even chanting it when they played in the Champions League a few years back

adaminho wrote: »
    Some supporter! Just cause we chant we all hate Leeds doesn't mean we all hate Leeds! If we went on chant's we'd be Champions, Champions of Europe! I'd say Millwall are way more hated than us!

What do you mean some supporter? Just because you point out Leed's have an inherent problem with fans, your not a supporter? I regularly go to games with cousins from Harrogate, and drinking before a match your nearly surprised if it doesn't kick off between Leed's fans supporting the same team. All coming from different area's of the city, unlike other citys, no separate team for different areas. Never gone to a match without seeing a multitude of trouble each time, whether it's amongst themselves, police, other fans, on trains. Always something

• Advertisement

It was sung by Bradford City fans years ago in a pre-season friendly at Ferrycarrig Park v Wexford Youths. ��

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement