Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Leeds United Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours 2020/2021

Comments

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,016 Mod ✭✭✭✭whiterebel

Kitchen sink being thrown here......

• Registered Users Posts: 1,070 ✭✭✭purple hands

Of course their 2nd keeper is having the game of his life

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,070 ✭✭✭✭event

Pitch looks good but obviously not right, too many players losing their footing. Andre Gomes is getting too much time and space imo.

Roberts coming on, either Pat or Klich id say

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,907 ✭✭✭Seathrun66

Hopefully, but I think has a real "Roberts for Bamford" after 65 mins

Great response!

Almost to the minute.

Can you predict a 3-2 win now.

Are Everton dealing with the new pitch better than us? Less slips it seems.

Brilliant second half, just not falling for us

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,495 ✭✭✭✭Mushy

Brilliant second half, just not falling for us

Yeah one of those games where it happens. Can hack losing once its not a nightmare performance

• Registered Users Posts: 4,994 ✭✭✭c.p.w.g.w

Of course their 2nd keeper is having the game of his life

It's not surprising, as his better than pickford imo

• Registered Users, Subscribers, Registered Users 2 Posts: 47,336 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

How the fcuk did we not get even a point from that game? That was so stressful to watch.

• Advertisement

Deserved something there. Ah well.

Tyler Roberts is a bag of sh1te

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,144 ✭✭✭downthemiddle

adaminho wrote: »
    Our new signing making their debut tonight.
    https://twitter.com/LUFC/status/1356980767788736514?s=09

Bring back the old pitch!!

event wrote: »
    Deserved something there. Ah well.

Tyler Roberts is a bag of sh1te

I don't understand why Bielsa keeps persisting with him, he's clearly out of his depth at this level. I'd like to see one of the young lads being given a run out if he wants another attacker.

Couldn't really ask for much more, play like that another day and you score 4/5. I think the surprise win at the weekend had me feeling it was a free hit game so not overly disappointed

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,024 ✭✭✭10000maniacs

Everton are good at closing the game down.
    That's what did us in. We weren't that bad. Just unlucky.
    I would have liked Bamford or Raphinha on that final shot. Not fec*in Roberts.

Mushy wrote: »
    Couldn't really ask for much more, play like that another day and you score 4/5. I think the surprise win at the weekend had me feeling it was a free hit game so not overly disappointed

I agree, they did all they could but just couldn't get the second goal. Just one of those nights, but they couldn't be accused of not trying.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,669 ✭✭✭adaminho

Waiting to see the Ayling booking again. Considering the penalty's/ sending offs last night it looked like a foul before that!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,014 ✭✭✭Eggs For Dinner

Can't fault the effort. Substitutions show we can't call on players who are game changers. Raphina is a joy to watch

Can't fault the effort. Substitutions show we can't call on players who are game changers. Raphina is a joy to watch

Yeah hopefully summer transfers will add more squad depth be it either starters pushing current starters out or just signings to improve bench quality

Hit post the first half, crossbar in second. Think they'll be annoyed not to get a point and we'll spank Palace without Zaha

Zaph wrote: »
    I don't understand why Bielsa keeps persisting with him, he's clearly out of his depth at this level. I'd like to see one of the young lads being given a run out if he wants another attacker.

Same. Give one of the young lads a go. He must be seriously impressive in training. Every move with him breaks down. He looks like the younger brother one of your mates takes to 5 a side.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,003 ✭✭✭Carcharodon

Feck England. More chance of an injury or getting Covid. Let's be honest, he'll be a bench warmer for Kane. In the summer id rather he gets a break than trapse around Europe to get a few mins here and there

I have the lucky leeds top on again today lads. Only put it on at 13:00 so it might be a draw :pac:

Yea, but to be fair, it would mean a lot to him and be a reward/acknowledgement for all the hard work and improvement he has made.
    Would be pretty selfish of anyone to not want a player to get an international call up, it’s a great honor and milestone.
    Something to tell the grandkids and all that

Bring back the old pitch!!

New pitch needs months to acclimatise to Bielsaball

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

Watched highlights - keeper heroics and bad luck but still huge problems for the goals, especially the first one. Struijk is growing as a player, Klich needs a timeout or something and the bench seems to have a limited effect at present. Still in 11th place, way above expectations.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,922 ✭✭✭Ceist_Beag

Would agree with Phil Hay's piece this morning on Pablo. It would be a real shame if he were to leave quietly in the summer without a chance for the fans to show their appreciation.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 975 ✭✭✭J Cheever Loophole

I thought we played quite well - certainly played better than we did at Newcastle - but were undone by a couple of poor lapses for the goals, some bad luck and an inspired keeper. We definitely deserved something from the game. That said, I would have taken six points from those three games if I'd been offered it, but with six points already in the bag, you always want more.

For the first goal, I thought that Striujk and Cooper seem to lose track of where each other was and momentarily bumped into each other which seemed to make both of them pause and allowed an easy and unchallenged finish. The second renewed all the old worries about our vulnerability from set pieces. I see that as a long term issue, as none of the current centre halfs appear to be physically imposing and likely to dominate in the air although I do think Striujk is beginning to show a lot of promise as a first team regular.

However, it is important to remember that the team we are fielding is essentially our Championship side, minus Ben White and with the addition of Raphinha. That to me underlines the genius of Bielsa. Raphinha looks to be a really good purchase. He looks dangerous, seems to want to be on the ball as often as possible and offers a lot of energy.

The Leeds fan in me still is desperate to get to the safety mark in terms of points. Hopefully 2 - 3 wins more will do it and we can relax.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,893 ✭✭✭Hijpo

I thought we played quite well - certainly played better than we did at Newcastle - but were undone by a couple of poor lapses for the goals, some bad luck and an inspired keeper. We definitely deserved something from the game. That said, I would have taken six points from those three games if I'd been offered it, but with six points already in the bag, you always want more.

For the first goal, I thought that Striujk and Cooper seem to lose track of where each other was and momentarily bumped into each other which seemed to make both of them pause and allowed an easy and unchallenged finish. The second renewed all the old worries about our vulnerability from set pieces. I see that as a long term issue, as none of the current centre halfs appear to be physically imposing and likely to dominate in the air although I do think Striujk is beginning to show a lot of promise as a first team regular.

However, it is important to remember that the team we are fielding is essentially our Championship side, minus Ben White and with the addition of Raphinha. That to me underlines the genius of Bielsa. Raphinha looks to be a really good purchase. He looks dangerous, seems to want to be on the ball as often as possible and offers a lot of energy.

The Leeds fan in me still is desperate to get to the safety mark in terms of points. Hopefully 2 - 3 wins more will do it and we can relax.

I think Struijk was on the front post for the 1st and should have been able to cut out the hit and hope effort to get the ball into an attacking area, looked like he thought Meslier had it or something because he moves towards the ball then stopped. Might have been cooper and Philip's getting in each others way?

Our deliveries from corners and frees were impressive, plenty of pace on them screaming to be attacked. If we can start getting heads on those we will score plenty.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,016 Mod ✭✭✭✭whiterebel

Ayling was completely missing for the first goal. He should have been stopping the cross coming in. He went missing a lot, leaving Raphinha to cover. Meslier made a great save at the end, but I though Klich was poor. His head or heart doesn't seem to be in it. When Rodrigo comes back I can see him on the bench again. On another day we could have had a hatful. Always amazed the way back up keepers have the game of their lives against us. Similar for Barcelona last night, 38 shots, 20 on target. Keeper played a blinder. We probably would have scored 6 if Pickford had played.

Hijpo wrote: »
    Our deliveries from corners and frees were impressive, plenty of pace on them screaming to be attacked. If we can start getting heads on those we will score plenty.

Big improvement in the quality of our corners since Raphinha took over from Phillips. Kalvin is great at most things, but fcuk me, his corners were generally woeful.

Big improvement in the quality of our corners since Raphinha took over from Phillips. Kalvin is great at most things, but fcuk me, his corners were generally woeful.

It's always puzzled me how professional footballers can take corners that don't clear the first defender. And as for foul throws......

• Registered Users Posts: 712 ✭✭✭Jimmy Two Times

Just on the goals.

Struijk definitely should have cut the cross out for the first one.Can't believe he let it go. Maybe Sigurdsson shouted " Keeper " as he was running in.

On the second, I read somewhere that a few weeks ago we had stopped with the man 10 yards away from the corner taker and put him on the back post. Would have been perfect to clear the flick on last night. Can't see the sense in leaving him there. All it does is makes the kicker put it further out from goal,limiting the keeper's ability to come and get it. Not sure you can blame anyone for allowing the flick on. Everton have some big strong lads and we struggle in that department.

Overall, very pleased with the response to going behind but struggle to see what Roberts brings to the table any more. Looks OK out around the middle of the pitch picking up the ball,but there's no end product once he gets near the goal. Think I'd have left Klich on last night.

Also,can't help but think a packed Elland Road might have helped find the equaliser in a game we dominated in the second half.

• Advertisement

Rearranged date for Southampton game confirmed:

Leeds United v Southampton
    New fixture date: Tuesday 23rd February 2021
    New kick-off time: 6pm live on Sky Sports
    Venue: Elland Road

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 975 ✭✭✭J Cheever Loophole

Hijpo wrote: »
    I think Struijk was on the front post for the 1st and should have been able to cut out the hit and hope effort to get the ball into an attacking area, looked like he thought Meslier had it or something because he moves towards the ball then stopped. Might have been cooper and Philip's getting in each others way?

Had a look again. You're right. I think it was Cooper and Ayling and I'm guessing Striujk let it go as he would have been stretching and he thought there was cover behind. They bumped each other and both seemed to pause - might have been the bump or them anticipating Striujk going for it. Either way, we had plenty in the vicinity and no-one went for it!!

Berardi back in training next Monday. Delighted for him that he might actually get a run out in the PL at some stage this season.

Berardi back in training next Monday. Delighted for him that he might actually get a run out in the PL at some stage this season.

Great servant to the club.

The Gaetanooooo song is one of my favourites sung by the Leeds fans.

Will be so sad if both he and Pablo leave the club at the end of the season without fans getting the chance to give them a proper send off.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,024 ✭✭✭10000maniacs

Great servant to the club.

The Gaetanooooo song is one of my favourites sung by the Leeds fans.

Will be so sad if both he and Pablo leave the club at the end of the season without fans getting the chance to give them a proper send off.

The thing that sticks in my mind about Berardi were the red cards in some crucial games.

The thing that sticks in my mind about Berardi were the red cards in some crucial games.

Seven in total, most crucial definitely the one in the Derby game when he was on a yellow and reacted to being fouled and given no free by the ref.

Have to say that cost us dearly. The Play Off Final against Villa would have been some crack after what went on a couple of weeks previously.

Apart from the Millwall one last season I'm sure the rest of them were well deserved. :D

Supposedly a big character in the dressing room. But if people have doubt for Cooper in the PL, I really dont know how Berardi would do

Supposedly a big character in the dressing room. But if people have doubt for Cooper in the PL, I really dont know how Berardi would do

Oh he's clearly not PL quality, but given how he's such a fan favourite, and how last season ended for him, it would be nice for him to get the last 15 minutes of a game after we're safe from relegation. But as Jimmy said, it'll be sad to see him and Pablo go if fans aren't allowed back to Elland Road before the end of the season.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,014 ✭✭✭Eggs For Dinner

Some young lads in the U23 league are in for an education as he fine tunes his tackling.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,289 ✭✭✭stryker mcqueen

Oh he's clearly not PL quality, but given how he's such a fan favourite, and how last season ended for him, it would be nice for him to get the last 15 minutes of a game after we're safe from relegation. But as Jimmy said, it'll be sad to see him and Pablo go if fans aren't allowed back to Elland Road before the end of the season.

He'll play , bielsa trusts him

Poveda and Rodrigo out for weeks.

Need Klich to get his head back in the game, he's starting now

So what's the feeling about tonight? I assume wary and not complacent given some of this season's result. All I want is a to scrape a 1-0 win as with the Burnley game. Anything extra will be a major bonus.

And can we hold onto Raphinha after all the chatter. I think a top ten finish, MB signing for another season and more investment means we can retain who we want to.

I think we should get a win tonight. Bamford has scored against all his former clubs this year, he steps up vs them IMO.
    They have no Zaha so already weaker though Eze is a concern.

Raphina wont go this year or anything. He's good but not that good yet. MB will hopefully stay another year but I reckon that would be it, next year could be his last year. But thats next years problem. A win tonight lifts us in to the top half. Could any of us have expected that after 22 games

• Registered Users Posts: 1,289 ✭✭✭stryker mcqueen

Looking at the players palace are missing anything less than 3 points willl be a disappointment

Surely Palace used up all their luck in the last game? Unless they'll just be a bogey team. Will take a 1-0. To go into top half of table will be grest

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,218 ✭✭✭NuckChorris1

He'll play , bielsa trusts him

Just let him start against Man U in April and be given a free reign to kick lumps out of anyone he wants!!

I think we should get a win tonight. Bamford has scored against all his former clubs this year, he steps up vs them IMO.
    They have no Zaha so already weaker though Eze is a concern.

Raphina wont go this year or anything. He's good but not that good yet. MB will hopefully stay another year but I reckon that would be it, next year could be his last year. But thats next years problem. A win tonight lifts us in to the top half. Could any of us have expected that after 22 games

Yep, I tipped us to finish 7th/8th as did some others. Still might but unless the likes of Villa, West Ham & Everton have a dip in form we're not going to get much higher.

The lack of cup and European football may greatly help us in the run-in with fitness and avoiding injuries so it remains to be seen but I'd expect us to finish 9th/10th now. Some poor displays and results but overall I'm loving the season thus far.

Seathrun66 wrote: »
    Some poor displays and results but overall I'm loving the season thus far.

100 %. Thank christ for Leeds game son TV. It's been a real tonic in these most depressing days.

Very pleased with the performances against two established Prem teams last week.

Play like that tonight and take the chances and we " should " be OK.

That Eze lad scare me though. Tortured us twice against QPR last season and again in the first Palace game.

100 %. Thank christ for Leeds game son TV. It's been a real tonic in these most depressing days.

Very pleased with the performances against two established Prem teams last week.

Play like that tonight and take the chances and we " should " be OK.

That Eze lad scare me though. Tortured us twice against QPR last season and again in the first Palace game.

We were heavily rumoured to be chasing him last Summer but apparently the £20 price tag too much. A mistake? I've only really seen him against us and not followed either QPR or Palace games so I can't judge how good he is.

Yeah he's pretty good. Talk was he didnt want to leave London and by the time it was even mooted Palace had it all sown up. So not too annoyed it didnt happen

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement