Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Leeds United Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours 2020/2021

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,495 ✭✭✭✭Mushy

First game in a long time I haven't immediately looked down the table afterwards. What is becoming of this season?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,014 ✭✭✭Eggs For Dinner

Mushy wrote: »
    First game in a long time I haven't immediately looked down the table afterwards. What is becoming of this season?

I'm not at that stage yet. 2 more wins and I'll breath out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,578 ✭✭✭newhouse87

Just cant remember having a player like raphinha in my 20 plus years following leeds,his first time passing is unreal, starting to appreciate bamford i have to be honest. As always i will have criticism and to me ayling is a major liability at the back, gave away stupid passes numerous times and is so easy for players to pass, hes nearly as slow as meself, think it will need to be looked at in the summer, klich is burnt out too by the looks of it. Very happy with our current situation though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

Zaph wrote: »
    It's the most solid I've seen Cooper for a while. He's played alongside Struijk for the last few games, I wonder if it's a case of him having more confidence in his partner now?

Raphinha looks like he's going to be our most significant signing since Pablo. I now know why the Rennes fans were so p*ssed off.
    I think Cooper is enjoying minding him and it's benefitting both of them as Struijk is becoming a lot more solid himself. Now, if he can only sort out the goalscoring!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,144 ✭✭✭downthemiddle

Meslier completed more passes than any Palace player. :cool:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,070 ✭✭✭✭event

newhouse87 wrote: »
    Just cant remember having a player like raphinha in my 20 plus years following leeds,his first time passing is unreal, starting to appreciate bamford i have to be honest. As always i will have criticism and to me ayling is a major liability at the back, gave away stupid passes numerous times and is so easy for players to pass, hes nearly as slow as meself, think it will need to be looked at in the summer, klich is burnt out too by the looks of it. Very happy with our current situation though.

Only Cooper and Struijk completed more passes than him last night. Majority of theirs are simple passes to him, Kalvin or Alioski.

He's doing fine. We need an actual LB in the summer, wont be worried about RB for another year or so.

event wrote: »
    Only Cooper and Struijk completed more passes than him last night. Majority of theirs are simple passes to him, Kalvin or Alioski.

He's doing fine. We need an actual LB in the summer, wont be worried about RB for another year or so.
    Hes always going to have near the most passes with the way we play, but he has been a liability for a while now, players go passed him way too easy.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,289 ✭✭✭stryker mcqueen

Jaysis I think Ayling has taken to the prem like a duck to water , has been superb IMO, Klich was very good last night which was good to see.

EZE showed why we are better off without him , too lazy for Bielsa, doesnt defend.

Jaysis I think Ayling has taken to the prem like a duck to water , has been superb IMO, Klich was very good last night which was good to see.

EZE showed why we are better off without him , too lazy for Bielsa, doesnt defend.

fair enough man,just think hes has been very sloppy since xmas, way too easy rounded and some of his passes around the back give me heart palpitations.

Hes always going to have near the most passes with the way we play, but he has been a liability for a while now, players go passed him way too easy.

Ayling must be the newest player for you to pick on after Bamford and Harrison proved you wrong already
    Longtime leeds fan and as happy as i was to go up, i knew we had alot of bang average players ,cooper, costa, ayling,alioski, harrison and bamford(who has been ok lately tbf) are not prem league standard, harrison in particular has shown he is not up to this level, does he ever beat the first man with a cross?.
    I would write harrison/cooper/costa off as pl starters for sure and i dont think bamford is clinical enough given the amount of chance he gets, he has improved from last season though. I like the look off koch and as i said raphinha looks a good bit of business. I am harsh, i realized that at elland road last season when i was roaring at bamford and some old lads beside me from Leeds were more of the encouraging sort ha.
    I think harrison has been disappointing in more than one game, cooper without fail will make a mistake that leads to a goal chance, his attempted missed sliding tackle in the second half for instance, i would have liked to have seen koch and llorente get a run of games together, hopefully at some stage this season. Id rather poveda to harrison or costa, just my opinion, the team has given great joy the last couple of year's i appreciate that too but i also want the team to improve even further.
    a handful of games? Nearly a third of the season is gone, guarantee i will be proved right about harrison, the day he beats a man with a cross consistently i might change my mind. Bamford is doing ok, still don't think he's clinical enough though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,024 ✭✭✭10000maniacs

Ayling must be the newest player for you to pick on after Bamford and Harrison proved you wrong already

Here we go again. The forum policeman.
    PEOPLE ARE ALLOWED TO HAVE OPINIONS.
    That is the principle of a forum.
    Raking up old out of context posts is not cool.
    While I wouldn't be as critical as Newhouse87 and I think we have been doing much better in the last few weeks, We are all Leeds fans at the end of the day.

• Registered Users Posts: 712 ✭✭✭Jimmy Two Times

Scarily relaxed watching that last night. Really like some of the handy wins last season, Huddersfield,QPR,Blackburn,Stoke etc.

Early goal,realise that the opposition aren't up to much,miss a few chances to wrap it up before half time,score the second and foot off the pedal and see the game out.

Very pragmatic but not the swashbuckling style we have got used to. One of the commentators touched on it saying that maybe the style has been tweaked a little to be conservative when ahead.. Thought Palace had no balls at 2 - 0. If that's us we're going hell for leather trying to get back in the game and risking a hammering.They let us flute around at the back for pass after pass without putting any pressure on.

Having said that, glad Zaha was missing. Some of the possession they had in midfield could have been very damaging if they had a forward with any pace.

That statistic of 35 odd wins and 2 draws when leading at half time is staggering.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,261 ✭✭✭Shlippery

So how many more points til we're mathematically safe from going back to the dreaded Championship and can relax a bit? :pac:

Shlippery wrote: »
    So how many more points til we're mathematically safe from going back to the dreaded Championship and can relax a bit? :pac:
    Judging where Fulham are at, 10-12 points or 3-4 wins! Reckon bottom 3 will be confirmed by end of this month.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,922 ✭✭✭Ceist_Beag

People are also allowed to have opinions on those opinions or are you trying to police that! As long as we keep it civil I don't see an issue with it.

That happened for me when we beat Newcastle 2 weeks ago. :)

Harrison im still not fond of, thats just me and i hope bamford keeps it up but anybody that thought he was a pl striker before this season was hopeful rather then sure.

• Registered Users, Subscribers, Registered Users 2 Posts: 47,336 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

Over the past 10 seasons the average points total of the team in 18th place has been 35.1, with a range of 33-39 points.

Zaph wrote: »
    Over the past 10 seasons the average points total of the team in 18th place has been 35.1, with a range of 33-39 points.
    Might be lower this season!

https://projects.fivethirtyeight.com/soccer-predictions/premier-league/

Harrison im still not fond of, thats just me and i hope bamford keeps it up but anybody that thought he was a pl striker before this season was hopeful rather then sure.

Agreed on Bamford, I think it would be fair to say he has exceeded everyones expectations this season. However there is no doubt that he deserves recognition for that as any questions about his ability have been put to bed AFAIK.
    Harrison was excellent last season and has continued that form this season. He offers so much to the team in terms of workrate, attacking threat and great attitude.
    As for Ayling, I would agree that at times his positioning might be called into question and once he is the wrong side he struggles against some. However overall I think he has been one of our best players this season and really looks like a Premier League player. He is our best defender at carrying the ball out from the back and his workrate and the amount of ground he covers must be up there with the best of them.
    None of our players are perfect (although Raphinha is pretty close!) but almost all of them are improving all the time and the attitude and workrate from them all is better than you see from most teams.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,024 ✭✭✭10000maniacs

Ceist_Beag wrote: »
    People are also allowed to have opinions on those opinions or are you trying to police that! As long as we keep it civil I don't see an issue with it.

I agree, but raking up old out of context posts to make a dubious point? I don't agree with that.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,016 Mod ✭✭✭✭whiterebel

Harrison reminds me of Rod Wallace, insofar as he is 'streaky". Rod could go 7/8 matched without scoring, and then score in the next 6/7. JH seems similar. If he matched his finishing to his workmate he would be something else. Not particularly quick, doesn't have a trick, but he works the angles well and is a tireless runner.
    Raphinha needs to be more careful with his passing, at times it is very wayward, and the way we move forward so quickly, leaves us light at the back. I don't know what to make of Klich. Better last night, but not as good as he was. He looks a bit like Busquets at Barca at the moment, like the legs aren't able for 90 minutes any more. Raphinha looked bollixed from about 70 minutes in last night too. Maybe murderball is catching up with some of them.
    Cooper is playing very well, and Struijk is going to be a really good CB, IMO. He looks very assured, as someone pointed out, Coops is having a positive influence on him. Much as I'm mad about Alioski, he's a liability at LB. No pace, not much positional sense, and the opposition know now to press him in possession. He has great heart and desire, but he's no left back. Back up winger, absolutely.
    Onward and upward, glad to see the subtle changes, closing a game down, waiting for moments to rampage forward, rather than doing it all the time, whether it is on or not. Thats what we needed to do at Old Toilet. And stop them scoring in the first 2 minutes........

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,218 ✭✭✭NuckChorris1

whiterebel wrote: »
    Harrison reminds me of Rod Wallace, insofar as he is 'streaky". Rod could go 7/8 matched without scoring, and then score in the next 6/7. .....

He's the reason I support Leeds. His goal against Spurs got me when I got an interest in football. Never liked soccer until I was 12 or 13 for some reason. Him and Deane up front with Speed, Strachan and McAllister behind changed that!

Rod hasn't aged a day since he played either:

MDPCZhFW_400x400.jpg

Agreed on Bamford, I think it would be fair to say he has exceeded everyones expectations this season. However there is no doubt that he deserves recognition for that as any questions about his ability have been put to bed AFAIK.
    Harrison was excellent last season and has continued that form this season. He offers so much to the team in terms of workrate, attacking threat and great attitude.
    As for Ayling, I would agree that at times his positioning might be called into question and once he is the wrong side he struggles against some. However overall I think he has been one of our best players this season and really looks like a Premier League player. He is our best defender at carrying the ball out from the back and his workrate and the amount of ground he covers must be up there with the best of them.
    None of our players are perfect (although Raphinha is pretty close!) but almost all of them are improving all the time and the attitude and workrate from them all is better than you see from most teams.

yeah thats all fair enough, i just find harrison very frustrating when he dont beat the first man with his crosses alot of the time, i said few weeks back about the work rate, its unreal, as i said im happy, very happy but always room for improvement.

While I wouldn't be as critical as Newhouse87 and I think we have been doing much better in the last few weeks, We are all Leeds fans at the end of the day.

:confused::confused:

Ok so someone else can make claims that I think are wrong. But are not allowed to be challenged on it?

You have it @rseways. The principle of a forum is that people make posts and they can be challenged by others.

Unbelievable

:confused::confused:

Ok so someone else can make claims that I think are wrong. But are not allowed to be challenged on it?

You have it @rseways. The principle of a forum is that people make posts and they can be challenged by others.

Unbelievable

its an opinion not a claim, so when you say bam ford and Harrison proved me wrong that is your opinion not a fact, bamford has exceeded my expectations so yeah he has proved me wrong i have said that alot lately, Harrison as i said still not fond of. I dont mind you disagreeing but some people reply on here as if they are angry with opposing opinions.

A couple of other things I would add to this. We appear to be a very happy squad. I mean you look at the likes of Ayling, Cooper, Alioski, Phillips, Bamford and they all look like they are really enjoying themselves and each others company. It can be overlooked at times but this surely translates to the pitch.
    Secondly, we have real leaders all over the pitch, something that we previously lacked. For some that shows itself verbally in how they talk to other players, for others (like Raphinha for example) it shows in how they play. Taking responsibility and leading by example is something I think Bielsa lays down as a fundamental requirement in his players and it shows.

A couple of other things I would add to this. We appear to be a very happy squad. I mean you look at the likes of Ayling, Cooper, Alioski, Phillips, Bamford and they all look like they are really enjoying themselves and each others company. It can be overlooked at times but this surely translates to the pitch.
    Secondly, we have real leaders all over the pitch, something that we previously lacked. For some that shows itself verbally in how they talk to other players, for others (like Raphinha for example) it shows in how they play. Taking responsibility and leading by example is something I think Bielsa lays down as a fundamental requirement in his players and it shows.

Ayling does appear to be a character alright.I have said im very happy with things, just think ayling has been loose lately.

Through a few messages, reading into peoples names vs screennames and seeing Lampfer's team on a different thread, I think I've figured out the Leeds Superthread Boards Fantasy Football League standings. I'm the Leeds of the group, happily mid-table and not really threatening either end. 3 clear challengers for the title racing away with it. Am guessing adaminho gave up after a few weeks! If I've any names wrong let me know.

1 Lamper.sffc 1432
    2 tfer 1419
    3 Ceist Beag 1411
    4 NuckChorris 1287
    5 ronan.h 1234
    6 Mushy 1200
    7 iseegirls 1119
    8 kfrp 1109
    9 championc 1015
    10 adaminho 697

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,261 ✭✭✭Shlippery

Through a few messages, reading into peoples names vs screennames and seeing Lampfer's team on a different thread, I think I've figured out the Leeds Superthread Boards Fantasy Football League standings. I'm the Leeds of the group, happily mid-table and not really threatening either end. 3 clear challengers for the title racing away with it. Am guessing adaminho gave up after a few weeks! If I've any names wrong let me know.

1 Lamper.sffc 1432
    2 tfer 1419
    3 Ceist Beag 1411
    4 NuckChorris 1287
    5 ronan.h 1234
    6 Mushy 1200
    7 iseegirls 1119
    8 kfrp 1109
    9 championc 1015
    10 adaminho 697

I'd be the Sheffield United of the table if I were there , riddled with misc injuries at the start and didn't really pay attention at the start, but starting to recover now since slipping Paddy B & Meslier in!

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 5,015 Mod ✭✭✭✭GoldFour4

1 Lamper.sffc 1432
    2 tfer 1419
    3 Ceist Beag 1411
    4 NuckChorris 1287
    5 ronan.h 1234
    6 Mushy 1200
    7 iseegirls 1119
    8 kfrp 1109
    9 championc 1015
    10 adaminho 697

At 1187 myself - staving off relegation for now!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,495 ✭✭✭✭Mushy

1 Lamper.sffc 1432
    2 tfer 1419
    3 Ceist Beag 1411
    4 NuckChorris 1287
    5 ronan.h 1234
    6 Mushy 1200
    7 iseegirls 1119
    8 kfrp 1109
    9 championc 1015
    10 adaminho 697

I must look at my team again, been too long.

Regarding real life relegation, Fulham ain't getting 17 points extra over Leeds in the remaining games. And if they do....well then there'll be somebody else caught up anyway. Genuinely think if they lost every game they'd stay up now

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,144 ✭✭✭downthemiddle

Some people have very short memories around here. This team continues to be greater than its individual parts.
    Perhaps some would prefer the halcyon days of Heckingbottom, Evans, Rosler, Milanic or Hockaday. Maybe they would prefer Wise or Colin.
    Of course there is room for improvement but each and every one of those players gives 100% on the pitch. They are a credit to the club.
    We are blessed to have a manager who knows how to get the best out of this team. The last two and a half years have been some of the best in the history of the club. Bielsa won't be with us forever. Enjoy it when you can.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,669 ✭✭✭adaminho

1 Lamper.sffc 1432
    2 tfer 1419
    3 Ceist Beag 1411
    4 NuckChorris 1287
    5 ronan.h 1234
    6 Mushy 1200
    7 iseegirls 1119
    8 kfrp 1109
    9 championc 1015
    10 adaminho 697

In fairness I'm normally handy enough at it. This year I wanted to enjoy being back in the Premier league rather than worry about picking players against us. I ended up picking a team of ex-Leeds players (and Dallas).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,907 ✭✭✭Seathrun66

Of course they are, but incessant whining about players who give their all just ain't cool.

• Advertisement

One more win and we're safe I think, two and definitely so. I can't see any of the bottom three getting to 35 points this season.

• Registered Users, Subscribers, Registered Users 2 Posts: 47,336 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

1 Lamper.sffc 1432
    2 tfer 1419
    3 Ceist Beag 1411
    4 NuckChorris 1287
    5 ronan.h 1234
    6 Mushy 1200
    7 iseegirls 1119
    8 kfrp 1109
    9 championc 1015
    10 adaminho 697

Up to 1396 points myself, in part thanks to contributions from Dallas and Bamford as my captain last night. :D

its an opinion not a claim, so when you say bam ford and Harrison proved me wrong that is your opinion not a fact, bamford has exceeded my expectations so yeah he has proved me wrong i have said that alot lately, Harrison as i said still not fond of. I dont mind you disagreeing but some people reply on here as if they are angry with opposing opinions.

Yeah fair enough.

Id always be a numbers guy. And for me, Harrisons numbers this year are great, up there with other wingers. I think sometimes people (not just here and not just leeds fans) have unrealistic expectations is all.

I'll tell ye one player I'm glad we didn't sign. Benrahma. 3 assists all year and no goals. Imagine we had gone for him, would be no Raph then. Talk was MB didnt like his attitude and didn't he post some video on his holidays that didn't go down well?

Yeah fair enough.

Id always be a numbers guy. And for me, Harrisons numbers this year are great, up there with other wingers. I think sometimes people (not just here and not just leeds fans) have unrealistic expectations is all.

I'll tell ye one player I'm glad we didn't sign. Benrahma. 3 assists all year and no goals. Imagine we had gone for him, would be no Raph then. Talk was MB didnt like his attitude and didn't he post some video on his holidays that didn't go down well?

After last night you can add Eze to that list, astonished by his utter lack of defensive play last night. MB and VO will have been very chuffed with that particular decision.

Seathrun66 wrote: »
    Of course they are, but incessant whining about players who give their all just ain't cool.
    I have said a few times about the work rate of the team, the heart and desire can never be in question, just because we win doesn't mean all 11 players played great, i dont see any harm in some criticism, cant all be rosy in the garden every week. It has been pointed out in the commentary numerous times the last few weeks that ayling has ben easily passed and has played some questionable balls around the back. Going forward i certainly appreciate him, he just gives me worry when playing the balls round the back. Again i couldnt be happier where we are.

• Advertisement

Seathrun66 wrote: »
    After last night you can add Eze to that list, astonished by his utter lack of defensive play last night. MB and VO will have been very chuffed with that particular decision.

Eze was poor but I think he'd be good with us. Plus he's young. He could come good or yeah, he could end up not good enough. I wonder if he would be able to deal with the amount of running that would be needed with us tbf.

Arsenal Sunday lads, how are we feeling?

I really cant call this one at all, no idea how it'll go

Arsenal Sunday lads, how are we feeling?

I really cant call this one at all, no idea how it'll go
    Im feeling optimistic which isnt a good thing ha.

On the Benrahma and Eze lucky escapes, what do ye think about Ollie Watkins? He was the target until Rodrigo became an option. He's having a much better time of it than Rodrigo, but is operating at 9 rather than 10 so might not be fair to compare. I'm happy with Rodrigo overall as I can appreciate that it takes time to get used to Bielsaball and it's demands. There's no doubting his talent but Watkins looks great and would have immediate impact.

On the Benrahma and Eze lucky escapes, what do ye think about Ollie Watkins? He was the target until Rodrigo became an option. He's having a much better time of it than Rodrigo, but is operating at 9 rather than 10 so might not be fair to compare. I'm happy with Rodrigo overall as I can appreciate that it takes time to get used to Bielsaball and it's demands. There's no doubting his talent but Watkins looks great and would have immediate impact.

watkins was the man i wanted pre-season but Rodrigo has been very good the last few games, his link up play and first time passing to be raphinha has been unreal, was worried pre xmas but he has really settled into things now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,893 ✭✭✭Hijpo

watkins was the man i wanted pre-season but Rodrigo has been very good the last few games, his link up play and first time passing to be raphinha has been unreal, was worried pre xmas but he has really settled into things now.

Has anyone had a snoop around the other team threads to see who they are worried about on the leeds squad?

Watkins is the main striker for Villa, He would've been a replacement for Bamford. I don't think he could do what Bamford does. Watkins started out as a winger(LW Afaik) so would you have him ahead of Harrison or Raphinia? Rodrigo always was a Striker who seemed to drop back and provide more than score like a Sheringham or Firminho.

He's definitely better than Rodrigo as a striker IMO. But if we had gotten him, would he be able to play in midfield like we have asked Rodrigo to do? I am not so sure.

Watkins has played up top on his own all year really and I would rather Bamford up there tbh. Ollie went on a serious barren run earlier (9 games with no goals), Im sure we would have been all over him if he was with us and did that. But tbf, with the chances we create he could have scored even more.

Im happy with the transfers we did in the summer myself.

Looking at the championship stats actually, there doesnt look to be any standout players that wont get promoted this year that we could poach.
    Maybe Toney if Brentford sh1t on it again and Olise from Reading is getting good reports. Young and plays in midfield

Hijpo wrote: »
    Has anyone had a snoop around the other team threads to see who they are worried about on the leeds squad?

?? I meant i was worried about Rodrigo not settling pre xmas.

He's definitely better than Rodrigo as a striker IMO. But if we had gotten him, would he be able to play in midfield like we have asked Rodrigo to do? I am not so sure.

Watkins has played up top on his own all year really and I would rather Bamford up there tbh. Ollie went on a serious barren run earlier (9 games with no goals), Im sure we would have been all over him if he was with us and did that. But tbf, with the chances we create he could have scored even more.

Im happy with the transfers we did in the summer myself.

Looking at the championship stats actually, there doesnt look to be any standout players that wont get promoted this year that we could poach.
    Maybe Toney if Brentford sh1t on it again and Olise from Reading is getting good reports. Young and plays in midfield

What positions are you looking at? We need a LB but apart from that and a Hernandez replacement I'd be happy enough going into next season with the same squad.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement