Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Leeds United Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours 2020/2021

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,076 ✭✭✭✭event

Cant criticise Bamford there. They held him well so its up to other players to step up and find the nets in those games

Anyway, not too bothered, its one of those things that happen. Unfortunately the diving and time wasting is part of the game, we could get a bit cuter in that respect tbh

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,986 ✭✭✭Seathrun66

The real question is where does all the money go? We're always told Leeds are broke, yet we're the biggest team in Englands 3rd biggest city. Yet perennially broke. Go figure!

£103m spent on players in the Summer for starters, third highest net spenders in Europe. And wages. That's where the money goes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,046 ✭✭✭10000maniacs

Fulham have won again. Leeds gap down to 10. We need to pick up more points.
    Squeaky bum time for Newcastle.

For security we need 3/4 points. We'll probably get that over the next fortnight.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,622 ✭✭✭newhouse87

Costa looks to me like he don't a fcuk.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Subscribers, Registered Users 2 Posts: 47,343 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

Some good news for next week, Grealish is injured and will miss the trip to Elland Road on Saturday.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,007 ✭✭✭Carcharodon

Yea, Newcastle look pretty poor with no confidence while Fulham are the opposite

Yea, Newcastle look pretty poor with no confidence while Fulham are the opposite

Newcastle as bad as we've played this season. For me only Palace and WBA were as bad. They're likely to lose tonight and we may soon see them and Fulham switch places.

Fulhams next 5 games

Palace
    Spurs
    Liverpool
    City
    Leeds

I'm not too worried

• Registered Users Posts: 2,947 ✭✭✭Ceist_Beag

Zaph wrote: »
    Some good news for next week, Grealish is injured and will miss the trip to Elland Road on Saturday.

Is that confirmed? Commentators on the Villa game yesterday were suggesting he might be fit.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Subscribers, Registered Users 2 Posts: 47,343 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

Ceist_Beag wrote: »
    Is that confirmed? Commentators on the Villa game yesterday were suggesting he might be fit.

Saw the YEP and The Athletic's Villa writer tweeting that he'd be out yesterday and next Saturday and would be assessed after that. Reputable sources, but maybe he's recovering quicker than anticipated.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

This is where the Bielsa "it depends on the evolution of the injury" comes in!

• Registered Users Posts: 715 ✭✭✭Jimmy Two Times

Funny how your perception of a player changes over a few weeks. Before Christmas I'd have said that Ayling was one of the players who had made the step up in levels and looked comfortable at this level.

Now mistakes against Brighton,Everton and not getting close enough to Aubameyang and allowing Traore run that far with the ball and get a shot away have all cost us goals since then.Not a criticism of someone who given everything,just a fact and an indication of how you get away with nothing at this level.

Also,said after the Brighton game that we should have stopped the run with by taking a yellow early in the move,should have done the same to Traore. With our man to man marking system,once you beat your own player,everything opens up. It's so frustrating to see every other team doing it and we're letting fellas run 60 yards and just running after them.

Funny how your perception of a player changes over a few weeks. Before Christmas I'd have said that Ayling was one of the players who had made the step up in levels and looked comfortable at this level.

Now mistakes against Brighton,Everton and not getting close enough to Aubameyang and allowing Traore run that far with the ball and get a shot away have all cost us goals since then.Not a criticism of someone who given everything,just a fact and an indication of how you get away with nothing at this level.

Also,said after the Brighton game that we should have stopped the run with by taking a yellow early in the move,should have done the same to Traore. With our man to man marking system,once you beat your own player,everything opens up. It's so frustrating to see every other team doing it and we're letting fellas run 60 yards and just running after them.

I have been harping on about ayling wit a while i know, but i just dont think he looks comfortable at all on the ball anymore, every game he give me a heart palpations with the balls he plays around the back, still does ok going forward tbf, its obvious he gives his all but imo he's way too slow, he turns like a tractor. you can appreciate what he has done but also appreciate a replacement or at least competitive back up is required.

Yeah we need to be a bit more cynical at times. But then with our defence, I dont like giving a free kick away anywhere :pac:

All the reports I read say he's out for a month (BBC, Goal.com, etc). It'd be hard not to make us clear favourites with his absence. Could be six points this week, but of course we'll remain wary.

I feel exactly the same about Ayling. I disagree with newhouse, I think he looks good on the ball and as I said before I think he is our best defender at bringing the ball out from the back. However defensively I do think he is being targeted a bit and is struggling. We do like to try and defend by getting a toe in to knock the ball away but forwards are learning to anticipate this and are turning our defenders easily when they get too tight. Ayling and Struijk were both guilty of this against Wolves. Both struggled with pace once turned. As you say Jimmy, it's a sign of the quality they're up against now that any mistakes are punished. Hopefully some of the U23s (Huggins possibly) can start to compete for a place there as I doubt we'll be signing too many in the summer.

Despite two losses it's positive to see that we're in tenth again if we win tomorrow. We can even push further up the table as several teams (Spurs, Liverpool, Arsenal, Villa) are at least as erratic as us. I'm not saying we'll pass any of them but we're still in a decent position to hop up a few places.

And that West Ham away game looks to me like our toughest fixture in March, even more than Chelsea at home.

I feel exactly the same about Ayling. I disagree with newhouse, I think he looks good on the ball and as I said before I think he is our best defender at bringing the ball out from the back. However defensively I do think he is being targeted a bit and is struggling. We do like to try and defend by getting a toe in to knock the ball away but forwards are learning to anticipate this and are turning our defenders easily when they get too tight. Ayling and Struijk were both guilty of this against Wolves. Both struggled with pace once turned. As you say Jimmy, it's a sign of the quality they're up against now that any mistakes are punished. Hopefully some of the U23s (Huggins possibly) can start to compete for a place there as I doubt we'll be signing too many in the summer.

I'm also in agreement re Ayling.

But I think we're set for another Summer splurge. The 49ers money and the TV cash will likely mean our net spend will be over £100m again. This time though I think it'll be less player, though more expensive ones.

Rodrigo de Paul probably off to a big Italian club but he's a possibility.
    Could we go in for Ben White again? If Liverpool don't make the CL does that give us a chance when bidding against them?
    And there are a few other South Americans based in Italy we'll still be chasing.

Feeling optimistic for 2021/22 already.

TBF i did say he is ok going forward. Its the playing the ball round the back that i worry about, he gave bamford a dreadful ball against i cant quite remember a few weeks back that led to a goal aswell.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 5,025 Mod ✭✭✭✭GoldFour4

Agreed in general about Ayling.

He is going to give away a very soft goal someday soon with his flops too. He gets away with it most of the time but he is going to throw himself to the ground in a dangerous position at some point and a referee is going to wave play on.

Left back is a priority as are two midfielders,one defensive and one attacking. Sadly I think we have seen the best of Klich who unfortunately hasn't the pace for this level.Also need an experienced keeper for the No 2 spot.

It's going to be heartbreaking to see this team break up as they have brought so much enjoyment to this battle scarred supporter in the last two and a half seasons.I'm so glad that they all got to play a part in the first year in the Premier League and that we didn't do a Villa or a Fulham and cast a load of them aside on promotion. I'll never forget how we played last season and how happy I was to finally break the hoodoo.

To be honest,the way things are going with this never ending lockdown,if it wasn't for watching this team playing every week and all that goes with it, I'd be in a lot worse place than I am. Bit dramatic I know,but when there's little else to look forward to,having a game each week is a big help.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,218 ✭✭✭NuckChorris1

Seathrun66 wrote: »

But I think we're set for another Summer splurge. The 49ers money and the TV cash will likely mean our net spend will be over £100m again. This time though I think it'll be less player, though more expensive ones.

Could we go in for Ben White again? If Liverpool don't make the CL does that give us a chance when bidding against them?
    And there are a few other South Americans based in Italy we'll still be chasing.

Romain Perraud from Brest in France seems a solid link and fits the Bielsa mould in that he's young, attacking and improving each year. Fits the Orta mould in that his value should only really go up and could go up quite a lot if the price is right (French football suffering after collapse of TV sponsorship deal). Would still love Ben White, but we'll hardly spend that much on a CB when we have Cooper/Koch/Llorente/Struijk.

https://www.ligue1.com/Articles/ONE-TO-WATCH/2020/11/15/one-to-watch-romain-perraud#:~:text=Brest%20left%2Dback%20Romain%20Perraud,against%20Krasnodar%20in%20December%202016.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,218 ✭✭✭NuckChorris1

Left back is a priority as are two midfielders,one defensive and one attacking. Sadly I think we have seen the best of Klich who unfortunately hasn't the pace for this level.Also need an experienced keeper for the No 2 spot.

It's going to be heartbreaking to see this team break up as they have brought so much enjoyment to this battle scarred supporter in the last two and a half seasons.I'm so glad that they all got to play a part in the first year in the Premier League and that we didn't do a Villa or a Fulham and cast a load of them aside on promotion. I'll never forget how we played last season and how happy I was to finally break the hoodoo.

To be honest,the way things are going with this never ending lockdown,if it wasn't for watching this team playing every week and all that goes with it, I'd be in a lot worse place than I am. Bit dramatic I know,but when there's little else to look forward to,having a game each week is a big help.

Strongly agree with every single part of this post!!!

I think it's safe to say we're all in agreement with you.

And in terms of outgoing players Pablo is almost certainly gone. As is Casilla. Costa probably but maybe on loan with some other fringe members of the squad or under-23s. Roberts will stay I'm pretty sure, with him and Alioski on the bench. Where Cooper is also likely to end up despite some heroics this year. He's not of the calibre of Koch or Llorente and Struijk is also likely to be ahead in the pecking order soon.

Therefore of the matchday squads I reckon only Hernandez, Casilla and Costa won't be around next season. Or will we shed some more?

Romain Perraud from Brest in France seems a solid link and fits the Bielsa mould in that he's young, attacking and improving each year. Fits the Orta mould in that his value should only really go up and could go up quite a lot if the price is right (French football suffering after collapse of TV sponsorship deal). Would still love Ben White, but we'll hardly spend that much on a CB when we have Cooper/Koch/Llorente/Struijk.

https://www.ligue1.com/Articles/ONE-TO-WATCH/2020/11/15/one-to-watch-romain-perraud#:~:text=Brest%20left%2Dback%20Romain%20Perraud,against%20Krasnodar%20in%20December%202016.

Is Struijk seen as a long-term DM by MB? Koch also plays in that role and Cooper may be sidelined sooner than later. Having said all that, you're right, it's definitely not an area of urgency given the options we have.

And I'd not heard of Perraud but he seems ideal for that slot.

I think Alioski will go too. If we sign a left back and everyone else is fit,he'd be mad to stay. Likely he'd end up as 3rd or 4th choice if Huggins steps up.

Wouldn't be surprised to see Roberts go either. Depends on who we sign I suppose and whether Rodrigo can stay fit.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,070 ✭✭✭purple hands

Kalvin and Rodrigo still not available tomorrow. Probably same line up as Wolves so.

Saw a not so shocking stat the other day, we tend to lose when hes out, remember seeing him at elland road against qpr think it was nov 2019, made the match with 10minutes to spare but he was head and shoulders above the rest, seemed to have so much time on the ball, a stocky ****er as i would say too.

• Advertisement

newhouse87 wrote: »
    Saw a not so shocking stat the other day, we tend to lose when hes out, remember seeing him at elland road against qpr think it was nov 2019, made the match with 10minutes to spare but he was head and shoulders above the rest, seemed to have so much time on the ball, a stocky ****er as i would say too.

Funny that,even though we beat them 2-0,I thought Eze gave him the run around. Needed a late goal from Harrison when he played a one - two with a defender when trying to find Klich in the box to seal a comfortable enough win,but Eze looked a really good player that day.

Funny that,even though we beat them 2-0,I thought Eze gave him the run around. Needed a late goal from Harrison when he played a one - two with a defender when trying to find Klich in the box to seal a comfortable enough win,but Eze looked a really good player that day.

eze loked good that day like most days tbf, did think Phillips looked very composed like he had all the time in the world when on the ball. Thought it was a comfortable 2 nil win tbh, i was relatively calm in the stand ha. was a cold ****er of a day, didn't even have time to drop my gear bag to hotel before the game.

eze loked good that day like most days tbf, did think Phillips looked very composed like he had all the time in the world when on the ball. Thought it was a comfortable 2 nil win tbh, i was relatively calm in the stand ha. was a cold ****er of a day, didn't even have time to drop my gear bag to hotel before the game.

Calm, at Leeds,when we're one nil up ? I'll have some of what you're having :D

Calm, at Leeds,when we're one nil up ? I'll have some of what you're having :D
    relatively for me, they didn't threaten our goal much that day.

relatively for me, they didn't threaten our goal much that day.

Yep, in fairness they did have Jordan Hugill upfront for them :D

Funny to think we were linked with him once.

I'd love for that to happen. But Radz said we spent so much in the summer because her knew the 49er money was coming. Thats been spent already. The TV money is being spent on our wage bill really. No fans coming in is really harming us. Wont be many clubs spending that much money in the summer tbh When you see liverpool could barely afford a centre half in january, you know we'll be the same. Other clubs will have to reduce their prices too though, no one is spending the big money any more

Meslier, Dallas, Ayling contract exprire in 2023. So generally you want them to sign a new contract 2 years before it expires, dont let them get in to the last year of their deal. Dallas and Meslier will be offered extensions probably, that will cost a bit.

More worryingly, Bamford contract expires in 2022. He will need a significant upgrade in the summer. He is on £35k a week. Expect that to rise closer to 80k a week.

A lot of money will be spent on contract renewals, which is where the TV money will go

Could be wrong but I see us getting two players in the summer. LB and CM, outlay of about £50m.

I dont see us breaking this team up. Bielsa is fiercely loyal to his players, all through his career. I dont think Klich is up to it in the PL myself but he has started 23 games this season, MB loves him. I think the only departures will be Roberts, Pablo and Berardi when his contract expires

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,207 ✭✭✭maximoose

And so Brighton are slipping into a relegation battle. They go down and, even with the parachute payments, that knocks a few million off Ben White's price. The better news is that there's now a squabble down there for the third relegation slot and we're nowhere near involved.

event wrote: »
    I'd love for that to happen. But Radz said we spent so much in the summer because her knew the 49er money was coming. Thats been spent already. The TV money is being spent on our wage bill really. No fans coming in is really harming us. Wont be many clubs spending that much money in the summer tbh When you see liverpool could barely afford a centre half in january, you know we'll be the same. Other clubs will have to reduce their prices too though, no one is spending the big money any more

Meslier, Dallas, Ayling contract exprire in 2023. So generally you want them to sign a new contract 2 years before it expires, dont let them get in to the last year of their deal. Dallas and Meslier will be offered extensions probably, that will cost a bit.

More worryingly, Bamford contract expires in 2022. He will need a significant upgrade in the summer. He is on £35k a week. Expect that to rise closer to 80k a week.

A lot of money will be spent on contract renewals, which is where the TV money will go

Could be wrong but I see us getting two players in the summer. LB and CM, outlay of about £50m.

Radz also said last summer that our transfer outlay would be £45m. We spent £58m more than that.

Smoke and mirrors regarding next Summer's spending I think. Gate money is costing us but that'll change next season, the TV money will roll in and Leeds will be utterly cleaning up on shirts and merchandise.

Some of our first team will become squad players (Alioski, Cooper, maybe Dallas and Ayling) as we need depth to not only survive but compete for European places. We need to spend for the next two Summers at least to try to match the squads of the top teams. Very achievable I believe.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,615 ✭✭✭The Golden Miller

Bamford isn’t the problem with this team. He’s been excellent this year. I’d be very surprised if we buy another striker to replace or upgrade him this summer.

He has been brilliant in the sense he'd be a brilliant second striker. Offers loads apart from goals, and is delivering some goals in a very cosmetic pleasing fashion, but not enough goal's versus the amount Leeds and Bielsa teams in general create

£103m spent on players in the Summer for starters, third highest net spenders in Europe. And wages. That's where the money goes.

103 million in 16 years? Granted he wasn't here 16 years ago, but hes the invested owner and has a bit of cash. He invests it towards our potential earnings and we all think he's great, spends it and he's even better ye? It's offset to how much the club is worth, he's not doing it for free.

Why do you think PSG owners were sniffing around? They know the value of one club teams in a huge city, Leeds the 3rd biggest in England. Leeds can afford way beyond what our owners always tell us, to penny pinch the clubs sizeable self made profits, of which the club and fans are always held back from. There's huge money there, the owners just see better than to spend it on the club

• Advertisement

Haaland openly suggests he wants to play with Leeds. With all our, what should be, financial reserves, have we even made an offer? As the biggest club in Englands 3rd biggest city? Nah, we don't have the money sure!

Haaland openly suggests he wants to play with Leeds. With all our, what should be, financial reserves, have we even made an offer? As the biggest club in Englands 3rd biggest city? Nah, we don't have the money sure!
    :D Now I know you must be sniffing something! We haven't made a bid for MBappe yet either, do you think we should? Haaland is the hottest prospect in Europe. Only Champions League contenders will interest him. I think we have just a little bit to go before we can think about making offers for the likes of him Ted!

Haaland's agent is asking for £78m for a five year contract. And that's after the transfer fee. Even Man Utd and Liverpool can't afford that. Italian and Spanish clubs also priced out. Only Chelsea, PSG and Man City can pay those wages.

But hey, if you've got Radz's ear then please have a word.

103 million in 16 years? Granted he wasn't here 16 years ago, but hes the invested owner and has a bit of cash. He invests it towards our potential earnings and we all think he's great, spends it and he's even better ye? It's offset to how much the club is worth, he's not doing it for free.

Why do you think PSG owners were sniffing around? They know the value of one club teams in a huge city, Leeds the 3rd biggest in England. Leeds can afford way beyond what our owners always tell us, to penny pinch the clubs sizeable self made profits, of which the club and fans are always held back from. There's huge money there, the owners just see better than to spend it on the club

So, after outlays, how much do you think Radz is making from Leeds?

And so Brighton are slipping into a relegation battle. They go down and, even with the parachute payments, that knocks a few million off Ben White's price. The better news is that there's now a squabble down there for the third relegation slot and we're nowhere near involved.

Feck him. Happy with Koch now and I am hoping Llorente proves me wrong too.
    He has been brilliant in the sense he'd be a brilliant second striker. Offers loads apart from goals, and is delivering some goals in a very cosmetic pleasing fashion, but not enough goal's versus the amount Leeds and Bielsa teams in general create

Bielsa doesnt play a second striker though.

Messi is out of contract in the summer too, maybe we should sign him.
    Are you Peter Ridsdale?

And like, scoring goals isnt the issue. We are the 5thh highest scorers in the league. Unless Haaland can do a job at centre half, we dont need him

Feck him. Happy with Koch now and I am hoping Llorente proves me wrong too.

Bielsa doesnt play a second striker though.

Messi is out of contract in the summer too, maybe we should sign him.
    Are you Peter Ridsdale?

Agree re Ben White to some extent. Can't fathom why he signed an extended contract with Brighton. Pressure on a young lad I assume, but surely the agent should intervene?

And Ridsdale, brilliant.

Agree re Ben White to some extent. Can't fathom why he signed an extended contract with Brighton. Pressure on a young lad I assume, but surely the agent should intervene?

And Ridsdale, brilliant.

He's probably has a relegation clause.

Although in saying that, it'd be good to have him. Imagine Koch & him at centre half with Llorente and Cooper as back up. Plus he has more experience this year playing in midfield so would be handy to cover Phillips.

Ye have me convinced now

He's probably has a relegation clause.

Although in saying that, it'd be good to have him. Imagine Koch & him at centre half with Llorente and Cooper as back up. Plus he has more experience this year playing in midfield so would be handy to cover Phillips.

Ye have me convinced now

Could we outbid Pool though? I assume he has a release clause, I'd guess £30m-£40m. Both clubs meet that and it's then his choice. We finish close to Pool and they don't make the CL and we have a strong argument. He doesn't want to be back up for VVD.

I can't see Brighton getting relegated anyway, though I'd not shed too many tears given their fan's stirring up of rivalry following BW's move back.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,046 ✭✭✭10000maniacs

Gordon McQueen diagnosed with vascular dementia. He used to head the ball like nobody's business when with Leeds. I think there can be no doubt at this stage given the amount of players diagnosed.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement