Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Leeds United Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours 2020/2021

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,986 ✭✭✭Seathrun66

event wrote: »
    Fairly sure when the ref was going over to look at the pitchside monitor for the peno it was Victor you could hear screaming at him

I'd say he yelled a little more when there was no booking.

Marcelo, you're on your own.

https://www.bbc.com/sport/football/56201305

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,615 ✭✭✭The Golden Miller

Seathrun66 wrote: »
    Haaland's agent is asking for £78m for a five year contract. And that's after the transfer fee. Even Man Utd and Liverpool can't afford that. Italian and Spanish clubs also priced out. Only Chelsea, PSG and Man City can pay those wages.

But hey, if you've got Radz's ear then please have a word.

I'd say it's negotiable if it's Leed's. He supports Leed's, doesn't he? I know I'd be doing whatever I could to manufacture a move to my boyhood club. They should at least see, but I'd bet the demands would be different for Leed's than anyone else

I'd say it's negotiable if it's Leed's. He supports Leed's, doesn't he? I know I'd be doing whatever I could to manufacture a move to my boyhood club. They should at least see, but I'd bet the demands would be different for Leed's than anyone else

We could pay him in cheese and biscuits.

Bielsa doesnt play a second striker though!

I know, but I'd think he'd be better suited to that role. It's hard to know with Bamford, if he continues his upward trajectory he could knock in 30 next year. Although I think he's limited in the sense he'd regress hugely if Bielsa left, Bielsa has him playing to his absolute limit, sort of like Milito under Mourinho.

I think the difference between his Athletic team and Leed's is they had Llorente up front, who again improved under Bielsa. Afraid of what will happen if Bielsa leaves.

I'm probably a big negative on the thread. Leeds are doing brilliant and it's great to see, but I suppose I see it from the point of view we are back where we should be, as opposed to the idea its just great to be back

• Advertisement

We could pay him in cheese and biscuits.

Maybe I'm out of touch, but really, what's the difference between 50k a week, and 250k a week? Either way you'll never spend it all in your lifetime. Stuture and ego really.

Point is, if he's a real fan and loves the club the way he lets on, why is money even an issue? He should be getting onto Leeds trying to make it happen, and if not, Leeds should be testing the water. If I was him, I'd want to be the one leading Leeds back to the Champions League

• Registered Users, Subscribers, Registered Users 2 Posts: 47,343 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

Maybe I'm out of touch, but really, what's the difference between 50k a week, and 250k a week? Either way you'll never spend it all in your lifetime. Stuture and ego really.

Point is, if he's a real fan and loves the club the way he lets on, why is money even an issue? He should be getting onto Leeds trying to make it happen, and if not, Leeds should be testing the water. If I was him, I'd want to be the one leading Leeds back to the Champions League

There's rose tinted glasses and there's complete and utter delusion, and I'm afraid that you fall into the latter category. Of course in an ideal world every footballer wants to play for the team they support, but Haaland is the hottest property in world football at the moment, he can literally name his price for whoever has the willingness to meet Dortmund's valuation. But more importantly, he'll want to win trophies and play in the Champions League, not in a couple of seasons if all goes well at Leeds, but now. And even if by some miracle he decided that Elland Road is for him, how much more money will have to be spent to bring the rest of the squad up to a standard that can take advantage of his gifts? At the moment we have Raphinha, and perhaps the other summer signings will come good too, but literally the rest of the squad would have to be replaced to get to that level, and there isn't the money for that. I can see Haaland at Leeds one day, but that may be when he has a couple of years to go until retirement, a bit like Roy Keane when he went to Celtic to finish off his career. Of course I'd love to be proved wrong and see him at Leeds when he's in his prime, but I fear that we just won't have that sort of financial muscle quickly enough to pull it off.

Zaph wrote: »
    There's rose tinted glasses and there's complete and utter delusion, and I'm afraid that you fall into the latter category. Of course in an ideal world every footballer wants to play for the team they support, but Haaland is the hottest property in world football at the moment, he can literally name his price for whoever has the willingness to meet Dortmund's valuation. But more importantly, he'll want to win trophies and play in the Champions League, not in a couple of seasons if all goes well at Leeds, but now. And even if by some miracle he decided that Elland Road is for him, how much more money will have to be spent to bring the rest of the squad up to a standard that can take advantage of his gifts? At the moment we have Raphinha, and perhaps the other summer signings will come good too, but literally the rest of the squad would have to be replaced to get to that level, and there isn't the money for that. I can see Haaland at Leeds one day, but that may be when he has a couple of years to go until retirement, a bit like Roy Keane when he went to Celtic to finish off his career. Of course I'd love to be proved wrong and see him at Leeds when he's in his prime, but I fear that we just won't have that sort of financial muscle quickly enough to pull it off.

Well I did say I could be out of touch on this one. But if watching his bank account grow, and winning trophies with what should be meaningless teams to him, are more important than playing with what he claims are his boyhood club, then he's not much of a fan, is he?

Leed's are in the Premier League and hardly minnows. If he's that much of a fan, surely he'd want to be the one leading them to greater heights. I guess Totti was the last of a dying breed. The young mind seems easily manipulated by agents these days.

So if he doesn't want to come to Leed's because we aren't "big" enough for him, he should wind his neck in saying he's a fan, proclaiming he dreams of leading Leed's to Premier League glory and swapping shirts with Dallas etc. He has that choice to come and try and do it. It's not as if it's a one off comment made in passing either, he regularly bangs on about Leed's.

Well I did say I could be out of touch on this one. But if watching his bank account grow, and winning trophies with what should be meaningless teams to him, are more important than playing with what he claims are his boyhood club, then he's not much of a fan, is he?

Leed's are in the Premier League and hardly minnows. If he's that much of a fan, surely he'd be the one wanting to lead the fight to lead them to greater heights. I guess Totti was the last of a dying breed. The young mind seems easily manipulated by agents these days.

So if he doesn't want to come to Leed's because we aren't "big" enough for him, he should wind his neck in saying he's a fan, proclaiming he dreams of leading Leed's to Premier League glory and swapping shirts with Dallas etc. He has that choice to come and try and do it

You're missing a very obvious point - for the purposes of deciding where he plays he can't be a fan, this is his job, and his career is going to be a lot shorter than yours or mine and could potentially end through injury at any time, just like his father's did. And you can't really compare him to Totti, he came through the Roma youth teams, Haaland wasn't playing games for the U15s at Thorpe Arch. So while he may be a fan, there isn't necessarily the same loyalty to a club that a player who started as a kid at one may have. And while you say he wouldn't be much of a fan if he wanted success at teams that are "meaningless" to him, in reality, how many players actually end up playing for the team they support? And of them, how many actually are successful? That's how football is, and how it's always been, long before there were super agents turning kids' heads. Did winning trophies with Leeds mean any less to Billy Bremner or Johnny Giles because they weren't from Leeds?

You're missing a very obvious point - for the purposes of deciding where he plays he can't be a fan, this is his job, and his career is going to be a lot shorter than yours or mine and could potentially end through injury at any time, just like his father's did. And you can't really compare him to Totti, he came through the Roma youth teams, Haaland wasn't playing games for the U15s at Thorpe Arch. So while he may be a fan, there isn't necessarily the same loyalty to a club that a player who started as a kid at one may have. And while you say he wouldn't be much of a fan if he wanted success at teams that are "meaningless" to him, in reality, how many players actually end up playing for the team they support? And of them, how many actually are successful? That's how football is, and how it's always been, long before there were super agents turning kids' heads. Did winning trophies with Leeds mean any less to Billy Bremner or Johnny Giles because they weren't from Leeds?

Giles and Bremner would of walked through walls for Leed's, and after playing with Leed's, I'm sure consider themselves converted fans. While at Leed's, they weren't regularly paying eulogies to another club.

Yes Totti is from Rome and came through the youth system, but Haaland is also technically from Leed's, and has always proclaimed that's where his allegiance is, in terms of football anyway.

I never bought the whole, it's a job guff either. If you're on 50k a week, your a millionaire in less than half a year. He's already a multi-millionaire. He has more than he could ever spend. It's not as if Leed's would pay him less than that. So watching a bank account grow is more important? Stature and ego. Not much of a fan as I said

All of what you said is fine and is clearly the case. So he won't come here, we're not good or big enough. So why does he continually reference the club, over and over and over? If there's not meaning behind the words, surely he should fcuk off and wind his neck in, instead of constantly bringing a club up that he has nothing to do with?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,046 ✭✭✭10000maniacs

Phillips is definitely out for us, but Cash and Grealish are out for them. There is a huge hole in their defence and attack.
    I would say if we hold them back in the first half they will tire, and the second half will be ours.

Leed's are in the Premier League and hardly minnows. If he's that much of a fan, surely he'd want to be the one leading them to greater heights. I guess Totti was the last of a dying breed. The young mind seems easily manipulated by agents these days.

So if he doesn't want to come to Leed's because we aren't "big" enough for him, he should wind his neck in saying he's a fan, proclaiming he dreams of leading Leed's to Premier League glory and swapping shirts with Dallas etc. He has that choice to come and try and do it. It's not as if it's a one off comment made in passing either, he regularly bangs on about Leed's.

Haaland said once, when 17, that he'd love to lead Leeds to the PL title. He said the year after that he was also a Man City fan.

Transfer fee of circa £140m plus £78m for a five year contract is both unaffordable and not Bielsa's style.

He ain't coming to Leeds. It's a waste of time even discussing it.

One of my absolute heroes when I was a kid, Peter Lorimer, has been admitted to a hospice with late stage brain cancer. Looks like we'll be losing another legend shortly. :(

Haaland said once, when 17, that he'd love to lead Leeds to the PL title. He said the year after that he was also a Man City fan.

Transfer fee of circa £140m plus £78m for a five year contract is both unaffordable and not Bielsa's style.

He ain't coming to Leeds. It's a waste of time even discussing it.

He wore that when his dad played there, and verified not too long ago that was the only reason, and that he was a Leed's fan. You say "he once said when 17" as to belittle my point. That was only 3 years ago and has made countless statements, to this day, about supporting Leed's since. He went out of his way to swap shirts with Dallas ffs.

Transfer fee isn't 140m if he really wanted to come, not for Leed's if deals were made, for everyone else yes. And tbh, he's been linked with alot of clubs but has personally been very quite. United have showed constant interest in him, and Solskjaer has tried to make constant contact with him several times, said as much, only for friendly rebuttals and no interest. As laughable as it sounds, don't be surprised if he is holding out on how to move to Leed's, and make the financial side of things work.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,191 ✭✭✭✭Shanotheslayer

I never bought the whole, it's a job guff either. If you're on 50k a week, your a millionaire in less than half a year. He's already a multi-millionaire. He has more than he could ever spend. It's not as if Leed's would pay him less than that. So watching a bank account grow is more important? Stature and ego. Not much of a fan as I said

You don't buy it's a job? It's literally a job. He's a multi-millionaire that can live a Luxury life for his kids and grandkids etc.

Multi-Millionaires go broke. As others pointed out footballers careers can end at any time.

It's not as if you're talking the difference in 50K a week for boyhood club v 60k a week for a different team. You're talking near 3-4 times as much.

Transfer fee isn't 140m if he really wanted to come, not for Leed's if deals were made, for everyone else yes.

You do know how transfer fees work, yeah? That it's Dortmund who set the fee, not Haaland. So now that we've established that, explain to me why Dortmund would be feeling particularly benevolent towards Leeds if they can get the full 140m from another club? And don't say that it's because Haaland would refuse to go to any of the other clubs because we all know that that simply isn't the case.

You do know how transfer fees work, yeah? That it's Dortmund who set the fee, not Haaland. So now that we've established that, explain to me why Dortmund would be feeling particularly benevolent towards Leeds if they can get the full 140m from another club? And don't say that it's because Haaland would refuse to go to any of the other clubs because we all know that that simply isn't the case.

I misphrased that. I understand how they work. He doesn't seem keen on any club as it stand. He may see out his contract with BVB and see how Leed's progress

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,007 ✭✭✭Carcharodon

Holy mother of god, please stop discussing Haaland and Leeds, it’s cringe worthy and beyond delusional

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 5,025 Mod ✭✭✭✭GoldFour4

We signed Harrison on loan rather than permanent again this year for cashflow reasons. Honestly can’t believe someone would think we conceivably have the money or access to it to sign Haaland.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,015 ✭✭✭Eggs For Dinner

Can't be putting that amount of money on one player. If Bielsa leaves, the new manager will need a big pot of money to bring in non-Bielsa Ball type players

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,076 ✭✭✭✭event

Plus his agent is Mino Raiola. You dont sign him as your agent if you dont want money.

This is hilarious. Alan Smith left leeds for Man U a few years after saying he would never play for them. Players say stupid things. I think most people forget that a lot of players are not particularly clever so will say anything really

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,913 ✭✭✭Hijpo

Players say stupid things. I think most people forget that a lot of players are not particularly clever so will say anything really

Exactly, how many players have fulfilled their boyhood dream to play with "insert club here" at this point?
    I think Robbie Keane supported and dreamt of playing for 11 teams when he was younger.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,043 Mod ✭✭✭✭whiterebel

Didn’t Haaland try to row back on his Leeds comments? Made himself look a bit of a twat, then went look for Dallas' shirt?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,676 ✭✭✭adaminho

If we were to spunk 150m on anything it should be on Elland Road! On Haaland I think he'll end up there in his 30's like a Zlatan signing (I think he'll still be delivering the goods then)

adaminho wrote: »
    If we were to spunk 150m on anything it should be on Elland Road! On Haaland I think he'll end up there in his 30's like a Zlatan signing (I think he'll still be delivering the goods then)

Let's not forget that there might be even hotter property available in 4 or 5 years time.

One of my absolute heroes when I was a kid, Peter Lorimer, has been admitted to a hospice with late stage brain cancer. Looks like we'll be losing another legend shortly. :(

My favourite player as a kid. Hotshot Lorimer. Sad news indeed.

Wish I'd gone to his pub on my many visits to Elland Road. Big big mistake. Always heard good things about how he received people.

He wore that when his dad played there, and verified not too long ago that was the only reason, and that he was a Leed's fan. You say "he once said when 17" as to belittle my point. That was only 3 years ago and has made countless statements, to this day, about supporting Leed's since. He went out of his way to swap shirts with Dallas ffs.

Transfer fee isn't 140m if he really wanted to come, not for Leed's if deals were made, for everyone else yes. And tbh, he's been linked with alot of clubs but has personally been very quite. United have showed constant interest in him, and Solskjaer has tried to make constant contact with him several times, said as much, only for friendly rebuttals and no interest. As laughable as it sounds, don't be surprised if he is holding out on how to move to Leed's, and make the financial side of things work.

Interview was in 2017. He has never publicly since said he's supported Leeds without mentioning Man City and other clubs. Unless you have a source to contradict that.

He's unaffordable and he doesn't want to move to us.

Phillips is definitely out for us, but Cash and Grealish are out for them. There is a huge hole in their defence and attack.
    I would say if we hold them back in the first half they will tire, and the second half will be ours.

This is really good news.

Looking at Villa, they play with 1 up top.

So that means we will play 4 at the back. MB always likes his centre halves to outnumber their strikers by 1.

Ayling - Llorente - Cooper - Dallas

Struijk

Raphinha-Klich-Roberts--Harrison

Bamford

I think we could see something like that.
    When their midfielder comes forward to support Watkins (Barkley in this case), Struijk is expected to come with him and pick him up

Harrison could be left out for Costa but that would be a mistake imo

You don't buy it's a job? It's literally a job. He's a multi-millionaire that can live a Luxury life for his kids and grandkids etc.

Multi-Millionaires go broke. As others pointed out footballers careers can end at any time.

It's not as if you're talking the difference in 50K a week for boyhood club v 60k a week for a different team. You're talking near 3-4 times as much.

More, the wages being mooted are £300k per week, £78m over 5 years. What the agent has asked for and what the agent will get, if not more.

• Advertisement

So that means we will play 4 at the back. MB always likes his centre halves to outnumber their strikers by 1.

Struijk

Bamford

When their midfielder comes forward to support Watkins (Barkley in this case), Struijk is expected to come with him and pick him up

It's hard not to be cocky about tomorrow, we can remain cautious but surely we'll win this one.

And what's the latest of Koch, Rodrigo, etc? Any return dates? Klich & Shackleton also doubts for tomorrow.

• Registered Users Posts: 715 ✭✭✭Jimmy Two Times

Harrison was immense against Cash in the last game,ran him ragged.

If they play El Mohamady at right back again,like they did against Leicester,we might do well to swap Raphinha to the left again. Could see him torturing El Mohamedy. He really struggled against Barnes on Sunday.

Traore's late runs from midfield into the box need to be tracked and Watkins has improved recently.

Be really nice to do the double over them and without wanting to sound too confident,think we can beat them if we take the chances we will create.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,218 ✭✭✭NuckChorris1

And what's the latest of Koch, Rodrigo, etc? Any return dates? Klich & Shackleton also doubts for tomorrow.

Koch is back first week of March anyway. Lots of training and posing around Elland Road posts from him on social media. Certainly making an effort to get in with the fans and can see him being a favourite in years to come.
    Traore's late runs from midfield into the box need to be tracked and Watkins has improved recently.

Traore is a big worry for me. Looks very good and awkward for defenders to deal with. Him and Watkins could be tricky. Barkley looks spent and will only look good 4 or 5 times a year. Boring 4-3 Leeds win on the way!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,046 ✭✭✭10000maniacs

Koch is back first week of March anyway. Lots of training and posing around Elland Road posts from him on social media. Certainly making an effort to get in with the fans and can see him being a favourite in years to come.

Traore is a big worry for me. Looks very good and awkward for defenders to deal with. Him and Watkins could be tricky. Barkley looks spent and will only look good 4 or 5 times a year. Boring 4-3 Leeds win on the way!!!

Agree, the pressure is off anyway, but would like to see a double over the Villa.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,183 ✭✭✭downthemiddle

Awful news to hear that Peter Lorimer is so ill.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

Bielsa interview on Football Focus today, programme starts at 12.

• Advertisement

Brighton losing to WBA. How is Ben White feeling about being dragged into a relegation battle as he watches us climb the table?

Struijk

Bamford

So Costa in for Harrison. HE has done well so far enough. I think we'll line up like that.

No Barkley for VIlla, on the bench

So Costa in for Harrison. HE has done well so far enough. I think we'll line up like that.

No Barkley for VIlla, on the bench

BBC reckon 3-3-3-1. I like the look of it if it happens.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,541 ✭✭✭✭Mushy

Poor in getting out there, as well as Costa.

Pitch is a joke though

• Registered Users Posts: 1,289 ✭✭✭stryker mcqueen

I know it's the same for both teams but that pitch will cause injuries, its a joke

• Advertisement

Mushy wrote: »
    Poor in getting out there, as well as Costa.

Pitch is a joke though

I suppose what we did by laying a new surface is the equivalent of painting over the cracks, the drainage is still terrible.

Hijpo wrote: »
    I suppose what we did by laying a new surface is the equivalent of painting over the cracks, the drainage is still terrible.

Yeah all that could be done in the short term

BBC reckon 3-3-3-1. I like the look of it if it happens.

Nope, its 4 at the back.

Costa ball watching for the goal

Stronger refereeing please. That was a yellow on Dallas as they're getting away with going down too easily. The Grealish factor.

If roberts got some composure they'd be level by now

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 5,025 Mod ✭✭✭✭GoldFour4

Would prefer to see Raphina on the other wing where he could have better shots at the goal with his stronger foot.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,043 Mod ✭✭✭✭whiterebel

Every foul on Villa is a drama. Roberts go clattered a minute ago and got up looking to take the throw.

Would prefer to see Raphina on the other wing where he could have better shots at the goal with his stronger foot.

1000% Nobody has been able to get close to him when he runs at villa.

Short corners. Gotta love 'em.

Ayling with the hair down :-D
    That's a serious mop lads

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement