Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Leeds United Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours 2020/2021

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,289 ✭✭✭stryker mcqueen

whiterebel wrote: »
    If the opposition get a header in the 6 yard box from a corner, the keeper has to take some of the blame. Same mistakes as last time we played them.

A free header. Llorente is all over the shop, getting bullied at set pieces

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,509 ✭✭✭Damo 2k9

Desperate lads. Costa should be dragged off that pitch along with Klich, neither of them look like they're bothered whatsoever.

I disagree. Bielsa should be sacked imho.

That's enough Internet for today

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,015 Mod ✭✭✭✭whiterebel

At least we don’t have Costa and Roberts to bring on at half time.....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,218 ✭✭✭NuckChorris1

Small complaint and happening every game, but the ball wasn’t in the triangle area for their corner. Our brutal defence was the problem but could’ve/should’ve been ruled out for that if you’re picking out millimetre lines for offside.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Subscribers, Registered Users 2 Posts: 47,336 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

Harrison and Alioski on for Klich and Costa.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,893 ✭✭✭Hijpo

Well there it is. The sign it isn't our game.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,905 ✭✭✭Seathrun66

Throw on Rodrigo.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,907 ✭✭✭✭Kristopherus

Seathrun66 wrote: »
    Throw on Rodrigo.

He's on now. Will be interesting to see what effect he will have.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,070 ✭✭✭✭event

Small complaint and happening every game, but the ball wasn’t in the triangle area for their corner. Our brutal defence was the problem but could’ve/should’ve been ruled out for that if you’re picking out millimetre lines for offside.

Happens all the time, really annoys me.

Harrison needs to start next games and Rodrigo as well if up to it.

In fact I'd go with Phillips, Dallas and Rodrigo in the middle vs Chelsea, Alioski to left back

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 5,015 Mod ✭✭✭✭GoldFour4

Bamford has to score that earlier chance. Hopefully he can get a goal in this or the next game to get his confidence back up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,024 ✭✭✭10000maniacs

Its just too easy to beat Leeds. This is a training session for The Hammers.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,015 Mod ✭✭✭✭whiterebel

event wrote: »
    Happens all the time, really annoys me.

Harrison needs to start next games and Rodrigo as well if up to it.

In fact I'd go with Phillips, Dallas and Rodrigo in the middle vs Chelsea, Alioski to left back

Alioski on the same pitch as Werner, Pulisic, Mount? He wouldn’t be able. He’d be skinned .

After that shot from Paddy you've got to assume now that another hour wouldn't reap a goal.

Bamford WTF? Two open chances missed.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,070 ✭✭✭purple hands

Had enough chances to level now

Alioski on the same pitch as Werner, Pulisic, Mount? He wouldn’t be able. He’d be skinned .

Id rather him there than Klich in midfield tbh. He's been a passenger lately

Ah, ffs!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,495 ✭✭✭✭Mushy

Cant buy a bit of luck at the moment

Sitter number three for Bamford.

• Advertisement

Had enough chances to level now

Be ahead I think. 15 shots in the second half after 2 in the first.

Mushy wrote: »
    Cant buy a bit of luck at the moment

Every small moment, 50/50, bad bounce, VAR seems to be against us this season. Since the Koch 'handball' against Liverpool.

Cooper: Who do I pass it to? Why the West Ham player of course.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,070 ✭✭✭purple hands

Had a go this half at least, though helped by West Ham sitting back.

Wouldn't mind if current 11 started next game. Please no more Roberts, for the love of god.

Had a go this half at least, though helped by West Ham sitting back.

Wouldn't mind if current 11 started next game. Please no more Roberts, for the love of god.

Chelsea could play their U23's and still win against Leeds.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,893 ✭✭✭Hijpo

It could be worse. we could have been well beaten, i think we put in a decent performance.

If we lose to Chelsea we need 6 points from Fulham, sheff United or we could have a very nervous April

Hijpo wrote: »
    It could be worse. we could have been well beaten, i think we put in a decent performance.

Yep, they hit the woodwork twice as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,922 ✭✭✭Ceist_Beag

Another frustrating game. The first was just a stupid challenge by Ayling. The second was poor by Meslier but why couldn't we put a man on the back post for corners? Bielsa has to take some responsibility for that one. In the second half we could have easily got a draw, Pat missed some easy chances.

• Advertisement

Do yiz really think we won't get 3 points from Fulham, Sheffield, Brighton, Burnley, Southampton and West Brom?

• Registered Users, Subscribers, Registered Users 2 Posts: 47,336 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

Do yiz really think we won't get 3 points from Fulham, Sheffield, Brighton, Burnley, Southampton and West Brom?

As one of the more pessimistic posters here, even I reckon there's at least 9 points in the bag from those games, potentially a lot more. We're safe, even if we did a Leeds on it 17th is the absolute lowest we'll go.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,442 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hammer Archer

Hard luck last night. We rode our luck but it's the way the season is going for us at the moment.
    I'm surprised at the negativity from some of your fans. There's zero chance of ye being in trouble and that's the main thing I'd be looking for having just been promoted. Sheffield Utd and WBA are already as good as down. And while if ye did go on a horrific run, you may be overtaken by some teams below, there's no chance that each of Fulham, Newcastle and Brighton will catch you. Nonetheless, a performance like yesterday evenings will see you comfortably over 40 points which would be an excellent base to build from next season.

Hard luck last night. We rode our luck but it's the way the season is going for us at the moment.
    I'm surprised at the negativity from some of your fans. There's zero chance of ye being in trouble and that's the main thing I'd be looking for having just been promoted. Sheffield Utd and WBA are already as good as down. And while if ye did go on a horrific run, you may be overtaken by some teams below, there's no chance that each of Fulham, Newcastle and Brighton will catch you. Nonetheless, a performance like yesterday evenings will see you comfortably over 40 points which would be an excellent base to build from next season.

Ever heard the expression "doing a Leeds"?

We're 95% safe imo, April is horrific so my fear is get zero points in April and get dragged into a scrap... Stuff of nightmares

Honestly I don't know. We have lost 4 out of 5 now. Fulham are playing better. The Blades are showing a bit of backbone now as are Brighton and West Brom too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

Honestly I don't know. We have lost 4 out of 5 now. Fulham are playing better. The Blades are showing a bit of backbone now as are Brighton and West Brom too.
    But all three of them have very big problems scoring. There were at least 4 players not firing all last night. Given that one was the striker and most of the midfield went missing it was a tough ask to get anything. That's not going to happen in every game. Mathematically a whole lot of things need to go against the team, including at least 6 teams below in table suddenly finding better form at the same time. Now if the total was under 30 points you'd be worried. It's all good, just top half finish may be a bit harder to get.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,578 ✭✭✭newhouse87

Think we will be safe, could be a blessing in disguise if we were to drop down a bit as it would show the top brass we still need investment in alot of areas, ayling i tried to stop harping on about him but he is so poor at defending, gets rounded unbelievably easy, seems bielsa is starting to wonder about Harrison now as hes not starting much lately, not to my surprise as ye know. Less said about Roberts and klich the better. I will be happy finishing 15th with no relegation battle. As long as we can get over next season for few pl matches we will all be happy. staying up is priority first season. Would be worse imo to finish as well as sheff utd last season then not invest and look at them now.

is_that_so wrote: »
    But all three of them have very big problems scoring. There were at least 4 players not firing all last night. Given that one was the striker and most of the midfield went missing it was a tough ask to get anything. That's not going to happen in every game. Mathematically a whole lot of things need to go against the team, including at least 6 teams below in table suddenly finding better form at the same time. Now if the total was under 30 points you'd be worried. It's all good, just top half finish may be a bit harder to get.

And we have serious problems defending.

Thoughts:

1. We'll be safe from relegation. Even mentioning WBA and Sheff Utd is daft, they're gone and we'll help them on their way. Us playing Fulham and Newcastle playing Brighton the weekend after this will be very interesting to see who's really in trouble down there, but it won't be us. Newcastle could be the ones most in trouble given injuries and their fixtures.

2. Harrison is still a quality player, just a dip in form. Bielsa has to give time to Costa in the position to know for sure if he's not good enough. I think we can all agree that he's not. He has it in him but only if the opposition leaves space for him and he fancies it that day. Harrison will be signed and is good value at £10-12m.

3. Klich is out of form, but like Harrison has played an incredible amount of football over the past 2 seasons with little break. I do think he can be improved on as we start to bring in players like Raphina, Koch, Rodrigo but he's solid and shouldn't be going anywhere. Once properly rested he'll be fine.

4. Roberts just isn't up to the standard yet and there's no guarantee that he will get there. He seems a lovely fella and works his socks off so it's hard to see, but I think he needs a move to top end Championship level. Extend contract and loan him out is an option and see if he's worth £5-10m to someone then.

5. We are unlucky. Many teams think it and I try to not just be in our Leeds bubble feeling sorry for ourselves but we're joint 2nd for hitting the woodwork and 3rd for Big Chances Missed (that's not all about luck I admit. And VAR have been unfair on offside calls but that's probably applicable for every team. We've been unlucky, had players out of form, had bad injuries and are comfortably mid-table. If we were lucky we'd be in West Ham's position.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,578 ✭✭✭newhouse87

Thoughts:

1. We'll be safe from relegation. Even mentioning WBA and Sheff Utd is daft, they're gone and we'll help them on their way. Us playing Fulham and Newcastle playing Brighton the weekend after this will be very interesting to see who's really in trouble down there, but it won't be us. Newcastle could be the ones most in trouble given injuries and their fixtures.

2. Harrison is still a quality player, just a dip in form. Bielsa has to give time to Costa in the position to know for sure if he's not good enough. I think we can all agree that he's not. He has it in him but only if the opposition leaves space for him and he fancies it that day. Harrison will be signed and is good value at £10-12m.

3. Klich is out of form, but like Harrison has played an incredible amount of football over the past 2 seasons with little break. I do think he can be improved on as we start to bring in players like Raphina, Koch, Rodrigo but he's solid and shouldn't be going anywhere. Once properly rested he'll be fine.

4. Roberts just isn't up to the standard yet and there's no guarantee that he will get there. He seems a lovely fella and works his socks off so it's hard to see, but I think he needs a move to top end Championship level. Extend contract and loan him out is an option and see if he's worth £5-10m to someone then.

5. We are unlucky. Many teams think it and I try to not just be in our Leeds bubble feeling sorry for ourselves but we're joint 2nd for hitting the woodwork and 3rd for Big Chances Missed (that's not all about luck I admit. And VAR have been unfair on offside calls but that's probably applicable for every team. We've been unlucky, had players out of form, had bad injuries and are comfortably mid-table. If we were lucky we'd be in West Ham's position.

agree with most of that except point 2, Harrison can do magic at times but far too inconsistent for my liking especially not beating the first man with his crosses most of the time.

Phil Hay said a week ago that we were looking at signing 5 players this summer. Sounded like a lot, and glad of it, but when you think of Kiko, Alioski, Berardi, Costa, Roberts, Pablo and Forshaw all as possible departures for different reasons then it's the bare minimum.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

Phil Hay said a week ago that we were looking at signing 5 players this summer. Sounded like a lot, and glad of it, but when you think of Kiko, Alioski, Berardi, Costa, Roberts, Pablo and Forshaw all as possible departures for different reasons then it's the bare minimum.
    Douglas will go too and some of the loanees. Some of the kids may be useful backups and eliminate the need for even bigger outlays.

And we have serious problems defending.

Cooper is a very naïve centre back. Easy to get by when run at with pace. And why was he not on the goal-line defending the corners. If he was playing for any other team, he would be benched for not doing that.

Thanks, and well done. Amazingly the Hammers first double over Leeds for 67 years. Better shooting and I feel we would have at least drawn. I wasn't happy with the refereeing inconsistency but the major decisions were unfortunately all correct. WHU also hit thee bar twice so it could have been worse.

I hope you make the CL but it's tough to see who'll fall away and Spurs & Liverpool behind you remain a threat. Nevertheless a top 6 finish is very likely and enormously impressive. Finally, some impressive players there - Cresswell, Dawson and the unplayable Antonio. How do you shove that guy off the ball?
    Enjoy the rest of the season.

newhouse87 wrote: »
    Think we will be safe, could be a blessing in disguise if we were to drop down a bit as it would show the top brass we still need investment in alot of areas, ayling i tried to stop harping on about him but he is so poor at defending, gets rounded unbelievably easy, seems bielsa is starting to wonder about Harrison now as hes not starting much lately, not to my surprise as ye know. Less said about Roberts and klich the better. I will be happy finishing 15th with no relegation battle. As long as we can get over next season for few pl matches we will all be happy. staying up is priority first season. Would be worse imo to finish as well as sheff utd last season then not invest and look at them now.

Agree re safety. And I'm puzzled why people are even discussing it. Our current points total would have kept us up for the past four seasons and there's no way we're not getting another 12-18 points from the last 33 on offer.

Disagree re dropping down being a blessing. For many reasons. The higher we finish the more money we get, the easier it is to convince players to stay and it helps with recruitment. Rodrigo de Paul more likely to be convinced to come to a team that's 9th in the PL than one that's 15th.

And I think the investment is coming in regardless.

Cooper is a very naïve centre back. Easy to get by when run at with pace. And why was he not on the goal-line defending the corners. If he was playing for any other team, he would be benched for not doing that.

You don't put centre backs on the posts. Usually the full backs.

You don't put centre backs on the posts. Usually the full backs.
    He was the captain. He should be taking responsibility by either doing it himself or ordering somebody onto the goal-line. Basic stuff.

He was the captain. He should be taking responsibility by either doing it himself or ordering somebody onto the goal-line. Basic stuff.

Coach should be deciding that, not players on the pitch. Thats a system of defending, like zonal or man to man marking. That needs to be worked on in training. I would think someone told Llorente he could "mark" the way he did for the second as well, but I have a feeling he did what he wanted. If he decided to do it that way he needs a boot up the arse. Teams work to a plan in defence. If we do have a plan it's not working, or else everyone is following your thinking.

Coach should be deciding that, not players on the pitch. Thats a system of defending, like zonal or man to man marking. That needs to be worked on in training. I would think someone told Llorente he could "mark" the way he did for the second as well, but I have a feeling he did what he wanted. If he decided to do it that way he needs a boot up the arse. Teams work to a plan in defence. If we do have a plan it's not working, or else everyone is following your thinking.

Every other team does it. I think we have the third worst defensive record in the division. This is one of the basic reasons why.

Every other team does it. I think we have the third worst defensive record in the division. This is one of the basic reasons why.

I'd like to see some semblance of a plan for our defence, because we don't seem to have one. We should have a way of stopping their players crowding the keeper, we don't do that. We should have a plan to stop their players getting a straight run on goal from corners and free kicks, we don't do that either. We should have a plan to eliminate stupid fouls in and around our 18 yard box, too. We could have a plan to leave 2 or 3 players on the halfway line, to stop their defenders going up for set pieces. Don't do that.
    George Graham built his sides from the back. Everyone knew what they were doing, not just defenders, everyone in a defensive situation.
    I'll have a look back of MoTD highlights, but I don't think a lot of teams put players on the posts anymore.

• Registered Users Posts: 712 ✭✭✭Jimmy Two Times

I'd like to see some semblance of a plan for our defence, because we don't seem to have one. We should have a way of stopping their players crowding the keeper, we don't do that. We should have a plan to stop their players getting a straight run on goal from corners and free kicks, we don't do that either. We should have a plan to eliminate stupid fouls in and around our 18 yard box, too. We could have a plan to leave 2 or 3 players on the halfway line, to stop their defenders going up for set pieces. Don't do that.
    George Graham built his sides from the back. Everyone knew what they were doing, not just defenders, everyone in a defensive situation.
    I'll have a look back of MoTD highlights, but I don't think a lot of teams put players on the posts anymore.

And we don't have any plans for attacking corners either.There's no blocking of defenders,there's no standing on the keeper,it just seems to be every man for himself. Most times,the opposition defenders get clean headers away. ( Coops against Man Utd and Struijk agaiinst Arsenal the exceptions ).

Just on the game, I'm struggling to see where they created any chances from play whereas we had 4 really good ones. All comes down to us missing chances again.Wish we didn't have Chelsea next. They had € 300 Million on their bench last night.

Must admit I'm starting to look down again whereas I haven't since the Leicester game and do think we will need 4/5 more points to be safe. I'm sure we will get them but the nerves are definitely starting.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement