Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Leeds United Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours 2020/2021

Comments

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,043 Mod ✭✭✭✭whiterebel

Hard to believe our current points total was enough for the last 4 seasons. Probably lucky it took so long for Fulham to wake up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

whiterebel wrote: »
    Hard to believe our current points total was enough for the last 4 seasons. Probably lucky it took so long for Fulham to wake up.
    They also have some big guns in their run in and their last day is against Newcastle! The pressure is off the lower end of the table because two teams are basically relegated already, so it's anything from 1 to 6 teams in a scrap to avoid that 3rd spot.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,986 ✭✭✭Seathrun66

We're not going to be relegated, nor close to being relegated. I'd guess between 9th and 12th. And next season very close to a European place if not scraping one.

Time for some optimism please people.

But for poor shooting, some bad refereeing and worse injuries we'd be 6th/7th now. We'll improve our squad this Summer and have proper alternatives for all positions. I only see good stuff ahead.

• Registered Users Posts: 715 ✭✭✭Jimmy Two Times

Seathrun66 wrote: »
    We're not going to be relegated, nor close to being relegated. I'd guess between 9th and 12th. And next season very close to a European place if not scraping one.

Time for some optimism please people.

But for poor shooting, some bad refereeing and worse injuries we'd be 6th/7th now. We'll improve our squad this Summer and have proper alternatives for all positions. I only see good stuff ahead.

Really hope you're right but I'd think 13/15th will be where we will finish.

Optimism is all fine but we need some realism too. We make too many mistakes defensively,our midfield is struggling and if we don't convert a high percentage of our chances we can't win games.

And I'm normally a glass half full person where Leeds are concerned.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,043 Mod ✭✭✭✭whiterebel

Wolves, Brighton, Villa, Man U, Fulham, WBA don't put players on the posts for corners. Newcastle had 1 on the near post. MoTD don't actually show a lot of corners.

Really hope you're right but I'd think 13/15th will be where we will finish.

Optimism is all fine but we need some realism too. We make too many mistakes defensively,our midfield is struggling and if we don't convert a high percentage of our chances we can't win games.

And I'm normally a glass half full person where Leeds are concerned.

I agree, but this bad run will soon come to an end. On Monday we had two disallowed goals and seventeen other shots. On another day we're not so wasteful and some luck is also due our way. And yeah, I know, that's no basis for optimism.

I think on our day we can beat any team in the league and we will surprise one or more of the elite in the next few weeks. The teams below us are generally unimpressive and I see us heading up the table rather than down. We're capable of overhauling both Arsenal and Villa and can play with nothing to lose for the rest of the season.

We've also got Phillips, Poveda, Llorente and Rodrigo back with Shackleton, Struijk & Koch to follow. May finally get our first-choice team on the pitch.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,076 ✭✭✭✭event

Something to keep us occupied.

What do you think is our best 11. Should cause plenty of rows discussion :pac:
    Try and put in some justification for why you are leaving players out etc
    Ill go first. Formation is 4-1-4-1.
    Can easily swap to the 3-3-3-1 that MB likes to play with as well.

I havent got Llorente in yet as he just hasnt played enough games for me to form a proper opinion. Im basing this on what I have seen in the PL this year. Plus cooper is left footed which is needed in a MB system.

Alioski is a risk at LB but I think Dallas is needed in midfield. If we only sign one player in the summer, its needs to be a LB. Charlie Taylor for me from Burnley.

Dont think we have any other surprises there

Meslier

Ayling
    Koch--Cooper
    Alioski

Phillips

Raphina---Dallas-Rodrigo---Harrison

Bamford

event wrote: »
    Something to keep us occupied.

What do you think is our best 11. Should cause plenty of rows discussion :pac:

Meslier

Ayling
    Koch--Cooper
    Alioski

Phillips

Raphina---Dallas-Rodrigo---Harrison

Bamford

Same formation, with only one major change. Cooper isn't as good as either Koch or Llorente but I think he could do a better job at left back than Alioski. Otherwise he has to go on the bench with Dallas at left back. For central defence Cooper may now be fourth in the pecking order.

Meslier

Ayling---Llorente---Koch---Cooper

Phillips

Raphinha---Dallas---Rodrigo---Harrison

Bamford

• Registered Users, Subscribers, Registered Users 2 Posts: 47,343 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

Seathrun66 wrote: »
    Same formation, with only one major change. Cooper isn't as good as either Koch or Llorente but I think he could do a better job at left back than Alioski. Otherwise he has to go on the bench with Dallas at left back. For central defence Cooper may now be fourth in the pecking order.

Meslier

Ayling---Llorente---Koch---Cooper

Phillips

Raphinha---Dallas---Rodrigo---Harrison

Bamford

Meslier

Ayling---Llorente---Koch---Dallas

Phillips

Raphinha---Shackleton---Rodrigo---Harrison

Bamford

Similar enough, except that I think we need better cover at left back and while Cooper may be capable of providing it, Dallas definitely can. Obviously that leaves a spot in centre midfield, and while I think it's something that should be addressed during the summer, right now I'd see Shackleton as our best bet there.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,218 ✭✭✭NuckChorris1

If rumours are to be believed about Chris Wilder leaving, then that would leave Leeds mid-table with Marcelo Bielsa at the helm and Sheffield Utd bottom of the table with (U23 team coach) Paul Heckingbottom in charge!!! :D:D:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,046 ✭✭✭10000maniacs

If rumours are to be believed about Chris Wilder leaving, then that would leave Leeds mid-table with Marcelo Bielsa at the helm and Sheffield Utd bottom of the table with (U23 team coach) Paul Heckingbottom in charge!!! :D:D:D

They had 45 points at this stage last season. That needs to be a lesson to Leeds United that standing still and doing nothing in the transfer market during the summer is doomed to failure.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

Thiago and Abraham out for Chelsea - every little helps! A draw would be an excellent result here.

They had 45 points at this stage last season. That needs to be a lesson to Leeds United that standing still and doing nothing in the transfer market during the summer is doomed to failure.

They spent about £60m in the summer.

So they spent plenty. They just bought absolute drivel. And their manager got found out

is_that_so wrote: »
    Thiago and Abraham out for Chelsea - every little helps! A draw would be an excellent result here.

Had FF still been in charge I'd have been confident. But TT has them playing well, gonna be a tough on.

And if werner can start scoring vs any defence its us :D

Had FF still been in charge I'd have been confident. But TT has them playing well, gonna be a tough on.

And if werner can start scoring vs any defence its us :D

Alas true, but our misfiring has to end sometime so why not today. We're close to full strength and every team has had its off days this season so why not Chelsea this afternoon?

And Mark Lawrenson has tipped us though given what he's written I think he's made an error.

Leeds v Chelsea (12:30 GMT)
    Chelsea are going great guns - they are now unbeaten in 11 games since Thomas Tuchel took charge, and they were just too good for Everton on Monday night.

Leeds, in contrast, have not been on a great run of form recently, with just one win in five league games. I don't think they've been playing that badly though, and they will definitely test Chelsea's improved defence.

Lawro's prediction: 2-1

• Advertisement

No Cooper today, Struijk and Llorente starting at the back. Koch and Berardi both on the bench.

https://twitter.com/LUFC/status/1370698655737376770

• Registered Users Posts: 1,289 ✭✭✭stryker mcqueen

If this was a 3pm or later kick off I'd write this off as an away win.

As the son of a Chelsea supporting dad who has told me for years Chelsea don't turn up for morning games I'm going for a draw.

Looks like chelsea playing without a recognised striker. So Pulisic, mount, havertz & Ziyech will all rotate. Our man marking system could be under pressure here, I dont think the two CHs are clever enough. Could be a man u style game on the cards

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,511 ✭✭✭Damo 2k9

Baffles me how Rodrigo is on the bench, even with limited game time he should be in ahead of Roberts. Dallas in CM is a big plus though, he has been solid everywhere on the pitch this season.

Not confident today, I have to say. I don’t see Alioski making it to half time. Yet another combination at CB. Need to hold these out for 30 minutes to let us get a foothold.

• Advertisement

Jesus, what a first 10 minutes......me heart....We’re in a heap at the back. Both full backs missing, Ayling standing in front of Lorentz. No structure at all.

Damo 2k9 wrote: »
    Dallas in CM is a big plus though, he has been solid everywhere on the pitch this season.

One of the best players we have

We are giving Mount too much space, making him look like Zidane FFS

They keep giving to Alioski when he's got no out ball. He puts it up the line and gives it away. As if he’s not under enough pressure.

Bamford looks done

He's staying on. We did this with phillips a while ago and he was out for a while :|

Gutted for Bamford. He really looked up for it too. Unlucky with the disallowed goal, just a bit too early. Very selfless though, giving it to Roberts.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 5,025 Mod ✭✭✭✭GoldFour4

We are so loose at the back.

Savage save from Mendy there.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,947 ✭✭✭Ceist_Beag

I think that's harsh, I think we're defending quite well against a quality side. Rodrigo to me looks dodgy when he's in our half, loses the ball quite easily and isn't working hard to retrieve it. On the other hand he looks dangerous in their half.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,070 ✭✭✭purple hands

Curious sub. Would have liked an actual midfielder to come on!

Ceist_Beag wrote: »
    I think that's harsh, I think we're defending quite well against a quality side. Rodrigo to me looks dodgy when he's in our half, loses the ball quite easily and isn't working hard to retrieve it. On the other hand he looks dangerous in their half.

We’re scrambling around well alright but the gaps are too big and the marking too loose. The ease with which anyone can get to the edge of our box is a concern.

Rodrigo doesn't look himself at all, don't know what the story is there.

• Advertisement

Being subbed

Really happy with how Llorente has come into the side. He offers more of a threat going forward compared to Copper and Koch too it would seem.

Once bamford goes off we dont really carry much of a goal threat and Rodrigo does not do the chasing & harrying that bamford does

He just missed a free header, 10 yards out

He looked very shocked to be taken off, doesnt look to have a knock

Yeah, looks very surprised..

Presumably Roberts up front now, which isn't necessarily any better.

He’s not a No9, he looks lost as main striker. Roberts should go No9 and Rodrigo behind him.

Zaph wrote: »
    Presumably Roberts up front now, which isn't necessarily any better.

He's been the 9 since half time, Rodrigo was a bit deeper.

He's been the 9 since half time, Rodrigo was a bit deeper.

I don’t see that, TBH. No structure there without Bamford. Klich looks to be playing CF now.....:confused:

• Advertisement

He’s not a No9, he looks lost as main striker. Roberts should go No9 and Rodrigo behind him.

He plays up there for Spain and did so for Valencia. He was signed as a replacement/competition for Bamford

Its rare any team has more possession and shots than us in a game. Ill take a point in that circumstance.

Also, its the second time Rodrigo has been subbed off this year

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,541 ✭✭✭✭Mushy

Things I wasn't expecting today...clean sheet, Roberts MOTM.

Happy days

• Registered Users Posts: 1,070 ✭✭✭purple hands

Very good point

Meslier solid

Rodrigo doesn't run and press enough, simple as

Very happy with that result, that was a game where we could easily have taken a thumping. Good performance in the first half, but we looked out of options up front after Bamford went off.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,947 ✭✭✭Ceist_Beag

I'll take that, a point gained. We struggled to keep possession but they're a quality side. I like how Llorente and Struijk worked together in their first partnership. Raphinha was quiet again by his standards.

• Advertisement

Take that point tbh.

Mushy wrote: »
    Things I wasn't expecting today...clean sheet, Roberts MOTM.

Happy days

That'll do his confidence good. Impressive effort today and unlucky not to score.

Would be my choice also. More on display than anyone else in white.

Roberts surprised me big time, he had a very good match. Still shocked at the Rodrigo sub to be honest, I'm sure he's getting a pain in his b**lox with it, hopefully Bielsa being wary of him coming back from injury perhaps?

Also, Struijk and Llorente were absolutely solid today!

He plays up there for Spain and did so for Valencia. He was signed as a replacement/competition for Bamford

Different teams, different systems. He certainly doesn’t look a 9 in that Leeds side. I wouldn’t be replacing Bamford with him anyway. Can be Far more effective playing in behind.

Ceist_Beag wrote: »
    Raphinha was quiet again by his standards.

I hope he isnt too hard on himself at times. Near the end he early got a corner but the ball hit him on the way out. He blasted the ball against the hoardings in frustration which is ok but he'll have to get used to that. Teams will start to double up on him

10 points clear of Fulham. They have city tonight. I know they beat liverpool but dont see them getting anything tonight. So gap should be 10 and we have a game in hand. We play them Friday. Needs to be a win there, thats 13 points ahead and should mean some of ye who are still worried can relax :)

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement